Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 18 of 45 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 44 45 >
Topic Options
#1392920 - 03/10/10 01:56 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: dewster]
Goofball Jones Offline

Loc: Chicago
Okay, here's the new S90xs Natural Grand S6 again, without (hopefully) any reverb. I'm still learning this board and it was actually quite easy to turn it off. If it was a snake, it would have bit me.

I deleted the other file and uploaded this one:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hcymzmtnwyg/dp_bsd_v1.5_yamaha_s90xs_natural_grand_s6.mp3

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1392931 - 03/10/10 02:20 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: Goofball Jones]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Dewster,

I want to public ally acknowledge your work on this product and apologize for my skepticism early on. It was my contention that very few folks would be interested in or understand your work. I was wrong. In 36 days you have garnered 510 posts on this ambitious thread and project. Of those I counted nearly 50 individuals who contributed.

Clearly, folks that lurk the digital part of the Forum are not the norm of the typical digital piano shopper. I still contend that the bulk of buyers are little inclined to be interested or to absorb your date and conclusions. However, you have proven up a material number of folks in a concentrated period of time who do. Keep up the good work.

Maybe the next step is to query techs from the manufacturers and present your findings asking them to comment re. the context of their product specification postings. Perhaps there may be something in their methodology that you might be missing. Perhaps they may have gotten ahead of their corporate selves in their claims. My guess is the reality lies somewhere in between.

From my perspective as a salesman representing the product, the company reporting 3X sampling or 4X sampling is not going to cost me a nickel. What might cost us all a bunch is for manufacturer’s presentations of specifications to be proven false and misleading on a large scale. From a practical perspective I would opt for the truth, even if their “technology” takes a quantum leap backward.

Marty

#1392994 - 03/10/10 03:51 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: Goofball Jones]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Goofball Jones

Ahh, much better, thanks!!

#1393019 - 03/10/10 04:23 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: dewster]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Yamaha S90 XS Natural Grand S6 Review

Goofball Jones was kind enough to post an DPBSD MP3 of the Natural Grand S6 patch from a brand new Yamaha S90 XS - thanks Goofball!

The attack sample length isn't too bad, though the low notes in particular could benefit from a bit longer loops. The velocity layering sounds pretty smooth, but not quite as smooth as other DPs these days are doing. Up to the first and only audible velocity switch at vel=46, I couldn't hear much in the way of timbre change with increase in velocity, but after that the timbre did noticeably brighten with increased velocity.

During the partial pedal test I noticed the looping "echo" sound was more pronounced, perhaps due to an enhancement of the high frequency content, or perhaps due to whatever process they are using to make the partially damped note decay faster.

The noise floor is fairly white (sounds like a hiss) which always makes analysis much easier. Except for the WAV => MP3 conversion, this recording was done 100% with the instrument (MIDI => WAV) - a convention and convenience I hope soon becomes the norm.

I screen grabbed a bunch of pix of the analysis, and the MP3 is in the usual place should anyone want to see / hear the test results.

I've also performed some maintenance on the picture directory - subfolders were added for the various manufacturers, and all the pictures associated with particular instruments now have their own dedicated zip archives.

---------------------------------
- Yamaha S90xs Natural Grand S6 -
---------------------------------
FILE & SETUP:
- dp_bsd_v1.5_yamaha_s90xs_natural_grand_s6.mp3
- USB Flash drive (MIDI file), USB Flash drive (WAV file), Audacity (normalize to -1dB, MP3)
PROS:
- Passes the pedal down sympathetic resonance test.
- Nice long decays on the order of Pianoteq.
- Realistic key-up "clunk" and string damp "buzz" sound.
- Responds to partial pedaling.
- Appears to be a somewhat blended 3 layer sample set.
- Decent dynamic range (~32dB, vel=1:127).
CONS:
- No obvious pedal up/down samples.
- Partial pedal sympathetic resonance test sounds echoy and loopy (due to HF EQ?).
- Fails the pedal down silent replay test @ pedal up.
- Fails the key down sympathetic resonance test.
- Obviously looped, both visually and audibly.
- Low loops sound fair, mid loops sound loopy, high loops sound slightly static.
- Loop lengths are rather short.
- Sample lengths are (C2:C9): 3.8,3.9,3.3,2.9,2.9,?,?,? seconds.
- Loop lengths are (C2:C9): 0.75,0.68,0.56,0.65,?,?,?,? seconds.
- Obviously stretched, both visually and audibly.
- Stretching is visible over the entire range, audible over the lows and mids.
- Stretch distances: 2(x8),3,2(x3),3,2,2,1,2(x3),1,1,2(x3),1,2(x20) = 45 groups.
- No audible timbre change up to first velocity switch, blended (with filter?) after that.
- Visible velocity layer switch @ vel=46,104.
- Audible velocity layer switch @ vel=46.
OTHER:
- Interestingly, notes played @ vel=1 produce no sound.
- MP3 levels: peak @ -1dB, noise floor @ -73dB.
- Date reviewed: 2010-03-10

#1393042 - 03/10/10 04:47 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: dewster]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Good job dewster.

That Mediafire folder is gradually filling up.

How are your web programming/design skills?
Given the amount of data contained within this thread, I would strongly recommend setting up a dedicated website similar to (or perhaps even partnering with) PurgatoryCreek.

What do you think?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1393056 - 03/10/10 05:02 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: Marty Flinn]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Marty Flinn
I want to public ally acknowledge your work on this product and apologize for my skepticism early on. It was my contention that very few folks would be interested in or understand your work. I was wrong. In 36 days you have garnered 510 posts on this ambitious thread and project. Of those I counted nearly 50 individuals who contributed.

Clearly, folks that lurk the digital part of the Forum are not the norm of the typical digital piano shopper. I still contend that the bulk of buyers are little inclined to be interested or to absorb your date and conclusions. However, you have proven up a material number of folks in a concentrated period of time who do. Keep up the good work.

Why thank you very much Marty. I think we just got off on the wrong foot. I want to apologize for my earlier sharp remarks to you, please forgive me.

Originally Posted By: Marty Flinn
Maybe the next step is to query techs from the manufacturers and present your findings asking them to comment re. the context of their product specification postings. Perhaps there may be something in their methodology that you might be missing. Perhaps they may have gotten ahead of their corporate selves in their claims. My guess is the reality lies somewhere in between.

The Yamaha claims cited elsewhere here could be just poor translation, or overzealous marketing, who knows, but it does seem heavily biased in their favor. Everyone tells me the manufacturers watch these threads, so maybe pointing it out as kawaian has done is sufficient.

But in general I think this stuff is considered too secret for manufacturers to discuss openly with outsiders. The ironic part is that, with only a few notable exceptions, everyone's been doing pretty much the same thing since the first Kurzweil K250 rolled off the assembly line - with minor improvements here and there of course.

#1393120 - 03/10/10 06:37 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: Kawai James]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KAWAI James
...Given the amount of data contained within this thread, I would strongly recommend setting up a dedicated website similar to (or perhaps even partnering with) PurgatoryCreek.

Good suggestion. Someone here actually set up a wordpress site for me to test, and it was quite slick & functional. It was hard to turn that offer down, but I'm not sure I want to pay for website hosting and have them collect ad revenue off of my content. At least I think that's how it works. I wasn't quite ready at that point for a full-blown blog either (not sure I am now, actually). I've thought of the Purgatory Creek angle too, but haven't actually contacted them to see what's what.

Do you know where I can keep lots of ~10MB files for free and link directly to them without ads and such popping up? My ISP (Verizon) allocates a rather tiny storage space, which is fine for my personal web page, but is nowhere near enough for the DPBSD project files.

#1393144 - 03/10/10 07:10 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: dewster]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
dewster, I'm afraid I don't of any ad-free hosting that allows direct linking to files. You could of course rely on one of the many file hosting sites such as MediaFire or even dropbox etc. but I expect you'd rather keep everything in a single, reliable location, right?

How about contacting Frank (owner of PianoWorld) or Alden (author of the DP supplement to Piano Buyer)? Actually, the latter would be ideal - yep, definitely shoot Alden a PM.

Good luck!

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1393149 - 03/10/10 07:15 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: dewster]
setchman Offline

Originally Posted By: dewster
Do you know where I can keep lots of ~10MB files for free and link directly to them without ads and such popping up? My ISP (Verizon) allocates a rather tiny storage space, which is fine for my personal web page, but is nowhere near enough for the DPBSD project files.

http://www.box.net gives you 1GB of storage for free and it doesn't have all those annoying popups. I may be worth checking out. I'm sure there are others but I've linked a bunch of files from there and it's worked out quite well. It also allows you to stream them without downloading.

#1393170 - 03/10/10 07:36 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: setchman]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Munich, Germany
Well dewster if you don't find a service I can offer you 2GB free webspace on my dedicated webserver for the project. If interested, just contact me by PM.

#1393573 - 03/11/10 10:44 AM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: dewster]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Galaxy Vintage D Review

Yesterday setchman kindly provided us with a DPBSD MP3 of the very latest Galaxy piano, the "Vintage D" - a sampled 1920 Steinway D using Kontakt 4 for playback. Thanks setchman!

It is of course fully sampled, with no stretching or looping evident. The velocity layers appear and sound blended through the broad middle velocities, with semi-audible switching at the soft and loud ends, but the switching is by no means objectionable, and the timbre variation with velocity is nicely done.

A few nitpicky things with the damper pedal though. It fails the pedal down silent replay test in two different ways, the vel=1 note causes a distinct muting of the note, and the pedal up event following causes total muting even though the key is still being held down. And I don't hear any sympathetic resonance when a single note is played first and the pedal pressed a bit later. Not surprisingly, DPs that use delay effects for the sympathetic resonance usually get this right, but a sampled instrument would have to somehow crossfade over to the pedal down sample of the note (perhaps they are doing so and I just can't hear it?). Finally, the pedal up/down sounds are triggered around the 50% pedal point, which is rather non-realistic when partially pedaling and the pedal is only moving a bit.

As usual, the text review, the MP3, and some pictures of the analysis are located at the share point for your viewing / listening pleasure.

Spectral frequency view of the layer test - timbre changes smoothly with velocity.

Spectral phase view of the layer test - some layer switching is visible, particularly when zoomed up, and midrange is nicely blended.

Spectral phase view of the silent note repeat test - cursor @ pedal up; major damping before that caused by replaying the note @ MIDI vel=1 with pedal down.

--------------------
- Galaxy Vintage D -
--------------------
FILE & SETUP:
- dp_bsd_v1.5_galaxy_vintage_d.mp3
PROS:
- Passes the pedal down sympathetic resonance test.
- Passes the key down sympathetic resonance test.
- Sympathetic resonance sounds realistic.
- Pedal up/down sounds are "thunks".
- Key up sound/effect is a realistic "buzzy" sound.
- Nice long decays on the order of Pianoteq.
- Responds to partial pedaling.
- No visible or audible looping, notes appear and sound 100% sampled.
- No visible or audible stretching.
- Large dynamic range (~55dB, vel=1:127).
- Appears to be a somewhat blended multi velocity layer sample set (I see at least 9 layers).
CONS:
- Fails the pedal down silent replay test @ vel=1 & pedal up.
- Pedal down after playing a note doesn't cause sympathetic resonance.
- Pedal up/down sounds trigger @ 50% pedal, even when partial pedaling.
- Visible velocity layer switch @ vel=7,15,22,36,49,53,57,61.
- Audible velocity layer switch @ vel=7,15,36,53,57.
OTHER:
- C7 key-up during looping test makes a "distant thud" damping sound.
- MP3 levels: peak @ -1dB, noise floor @ -90dB.
- Date reviewed: 2010-03-11

#1393672 - 03/11/10 01:17 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: dewster]
Goofball Jones Offline

Just a quick question, has anything ever passed the "pedal down silent replay test"? It seems that every review I've read has that as the first con. So should it really be in the test at all since it seems nothing does it?

Honestly, I didn't read every review, so I don't know if one does it or not. Just seems a majority of them don't.

#1393683 - 03/11/10 01:25 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: Goofball Jones]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Yes a few would pass it but Dewster has only just added this element to the test and it happens to be that the pianos recently tested do not feature behaviour that would pass this test.

Steve

#1393700 - 03/11/10 01:48 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: Goofball Jones]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Just a quick question, has anything ever passed the "pedal down silent replay test"?

The Yamaha AvantGrand N3 passed. And as Steve indicated, this particular test is new. It's located near the front of the tests, so it tends to get commented on first.

Honestly, I didn't read every review, so I don't know if one does it or not. Just seems a majority of them don't.

All of the reviews are in a single text file located here.

#1393701 - 03/11/10 01:49 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: EssBrace]
Goofball Jones Offline

Ah, thanks. Guess I should read more of the older reviews too. laugh

#1393723 - 03/11/10 02:14 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: Goofball Jones]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Dewster: Yes, you are spot on re: the crossfading. I have at least one instrument that employs crossfading for the sustain resonance. (Pianowave's "Kalamkarian Bechstein"). It appears that both the pedal-up and pedal-down samples are always played simultaneously (with the attendent hit on polyphony!), with the cross fading invoked by the sustain pedal.

Unfortunately, the EW Quantum Leap Pianos does NOT employ cross fading, and has the same problem as the Vintage D appears that it may have. (I'm taking your word for it - I realise you are not 100% sure though)

I'm curious to see how well Ivory II does sustain resonance - I'm feeling optimistic.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (03/11/10 03:41 PM)

#1393805 - 03/11/10 04:09 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: sullivang]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Interesting! BTW CA63 does support cross fading, i.e. activates damper resonance even if the pedal was pressed after a key was hit.

#1393829 - 03/11/10 04:38 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: mucci]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Oops - it's actually the K-Sounds "Signature" that seems to play the sustain samples at the same time and cross fade - the Pianowave Bechstein actually seems to invoke the sustain samples only when required, saving polyphony! Both are Kontakt based.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (03/11/10 04:39 PM)

#1393877 - 03/11/10 05:33 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: mucci]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kawaian
Interesting! BTW CA63 does support cross fading, i.e. activates damper resonance even if the pedal was pressed after a key was hit.

Most likely a dispersion delay effect, rather than actual pedal down samples. The pedal probably crossfades between dry output and the output of a short reverb.

I'm not aware of any DP in hardware that has a pedal down sample set (like they do for PC samplers).

#1393894 - 03/11/10 05:59 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: dewster]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No it's definitely not a reverby effect, I can distinguish the difference. It's a very realistic pedal down effect. It sounds like additional overtones. I don't know if it's a real sample or some virtual piano calculation.

BTW even the CLP-340 has stereo sustain samples...

#1393895 - 03/11/10 05:59 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: dewster]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Arrgh. It now appears that both the Pianowave and the K-Sounds have both sets of samples playing all the time, with the crossfading. However, for some reason K-Sounds simply uses more voices, all the time. The reason for my confusion is that I always thought Kontakt counted a stereo pair as two voices, but it does not - it counts it as one voice. One thing's for sure - they both smoothly switch on the sustain resonance when the sustain pedal is pressed.

When testing this, watch out for pedal clunk samples temporarily increasing voice count. smile

Greg.

#1394032 - 03/11/10 09:24 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: mucci]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

No it's definitely not a reverby effect, I can distinguish the difference. It's a very realistic pedal down effect. It sounds like additional overtones. I don't know if it's a real sample or some virtual piano calculation.

I could be wrong, but I believe a "stereo sustain sample" is just a recording of all the strings vibrating after being excited by an impulse, and not by the specific notes being playing. Couple that with a little reverb and it could likely sound somewhat realistic. Genuine note samples with the damper pedal down would double the sample memory requirements, and we all know how crazy that notion is among DP manufacturers.

#1394173 - 03/12/10 02:30 AM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: dewster]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I could be wrong, but I believe a "stereo sustain sample" is just a recording of all the strings vibrating after being excited by an impulse, and not by the specific notes being playing. Couple that with a little reverb and it could likely sound somewhat realistic. Genuine note samples with the damper pedal down would double the sample memory requirements, and we all know how crazy that notion is among DP manufacturers.

Well I could be wrong, but I guess I have a pretty well trained ear regarding those subtle real acoustic sound effects, as I play acoustic piano quite often. When I have the damper down each individual keypress produces unique resonances. When setting reverb to "off" this can be observed much better. There are also specific overtones ringing depending on which key you've pressed which sounds very realistic to my ears. This can't be accomplished by simply recording all the strings vibrating. Since KAWAI keeps this as a company secret (?) I cannot really tell you how they accomplish this, but it's done very well. There is also a nice smooth transition from non-damped to damped sound when you press the damper pedal after you stroke a key.

Speculation: This might also be quite polyphony intense, which is why they might have this polyphony issues from time to time and 192 notes polyphony is really needed to activate all effects and still have enough sounds available.

Edited by kawaian (03/12/10 02:33 AM)

#1394269 - 03/12/10 09:45 AM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: dewster]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Dewster, may I suggest two tests for you to add. It is something like a "re-pedalling" but not exactly smile This is a feature on real pianos, digital pianos but not all of the software pianos:

Test 1
1. Press a key, preferably a bass note (because it has longer key-off)
2. Release the key
3. Immediately after the release press the damper pedal.

Result: Depending on the key, the note velocity and the duration between the key release and damper press, you will be able catch the sound and keep it sounding.

Reason: The lower the note, the longer it takes for the damper to mute the string when you release the key.

(Result with e.g. Steinberg The Grand - even if you are "Speedy Gonzales", there is no chance to catch the note. You must press the sustain BEFORE you release the key if you would like to do a sustain)

This is a very realistic real scenario. If you play on a real piano, it is very possible that you release a key and in a matter of a thousand of a second you press the damper pedal. Both happen virtually at the same time and the result would be the same as if you have pressed the damper pedal before you have released the key. However if serialized via MIDI, these events are sequenced and it depends on the algorithm to interpret them correctly.
-----------
Test 2
1. Press a key, preferably bass, and preferably loudly
2. Press the damper pedal.
3. Release the key.
4. Do a multiple quick "pumping" up and down with the damper pedal.

Result: Each time the damper pedal is pumped up, it begins muting the vibrating string, but since the muting is not instant, on the pump down motion you are letting it sound again, etc.

Reason: same as in Test 1

(Result with e.g. Steinberg The Grand - on the first pedal-up the notes are dropped)

The second test is very common technique in the classical piano repertoire, to simulate a sostenuto pedal if it is not available - you press a bass note, hold it with the damper pedal, then move both your hands in the highs to do some arpeggios but in the meanwhile you pump-up-down from time to time in order not to let too much high notes to create a mess. The highs get muted by the damper almost instantly, so you can clean the high notes by that pumping motions and at the same time the bass note will not get muted if you are quick enough with the pedal and if you are not lifting it too high (half-pedalling is a must).

Most of the sampler libraries are not supporting that feature. In fact only Pianoteq (because it is modelled) and Ivory (because it is professionally implemented) support it. Digital pianos have no problems maybe because they are looped and it is very easy to restart looping.

Edited by CyberGene (03/12/10 09:57 AM)

#1394305 - 03/12/10 10:54 AM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: CyberGene]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No. 2 is implemented on many DPs especially those that support half pedalling. No. 1 would be indeed interesting, Never checked this.

#1394309 - 03/12/10 11:05 AM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: mucci]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
I am sure you have faced the Test 1 many times, but you never knew this existed simply because digital pianos are implementing it correctly. I realized all those effects for the first time when I tried Steinberg The Grand recently and there were many times when sustain seemed to not be working and I thought it was a faulty sustain pedal... After analysis it appeared I was pressing the damper pedal slightly after I have released keys. I've experienced that with Steinberg The Grand and Native Instrument Akoustik Piano only but I suppose it is a bug on other non-looped sample libraries.

#1394428 - 03/12/10 02:03 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: CyberGene]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Yes, I think the issue with the non-looped software pianos is that they often have release samples. It's difficult to produce the half pedalling whilst at the same time retaining the real release samples. Without the release samples, they could do the half pedalling in the same manner as looped digital pianos do. (just apply an envelope to the full length sample in the same manner)
Ideally, the software piano would provide an option to the user: half pedalling without release samples, or no half pedalling, but with release samples. In fact, I have a third party script that works with Sampletekk's "White Grand" that does provide half pedalling (or at least, the ability to "catch" the notes as described earlier), but forgoes the release samples. smile

Greg.

#1394496 - 03/12/10 04:18 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: CyberGene]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CyberGene
Dewster, may I suggest two tests for you to add. It is something like a "re-pedalling" but not exactly smile This is a feature on real pianos, digital pianos but not all of the software pianos...

Interesting. I'll certainly take it under advisement. I would need to experiment on a few DPs to see if similar timing would work across all of the ones that support these effects, and to see how difficult it would be to reproduce and analyze.

For the second test, some DPs that support partial pedaling have the transition between damped and undamped centered more towards pedal down, and that might stymie a single test. Perhaps multiple pedal levels could be used in two or three tests in order to have a better chance of capturing it.

#1394500 - 03/12/10 04:27 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: dewster]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Just curious:

What do people think of the DPBSD MP3 files? Do you download and listen to them? Do they help you? MediaFire keeps track of how many times a particular file is downloaded, and there seems to be a certain amount of activity there.

How about the analysis pictures? Do you find them useful?

#1394525 - 03/12/10 05:07 PM Re: The DP BSD Project! [Re: dewster]
7even Offline

Just curious:

What do people think of the DPBSD MP3 files? Do you download and listen to them? Do they help you? MediaFire keeps track of how many times a particular file is downloaded, and there seems to be a certain amount of activity there.

How about the analysis pictures? Do you find them useful?

I like the analysis pics and I also listened to a few of the MP3s of the pianos I'm interested in (such as the HP-307, V-piano)... Keep it up grin

Page 18 of 45 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 44 45 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (a-z0-9, accordeur, 36251, 44 invisible), 1689 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75495 Members
42 Forums
156109 Topics
2292463 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
Today at 09:12 PM
Just Tried Brand New Mason and Hamlins....
by Paul678
Today at 09:10 PM
Broken Butt Plate - Replacement part?
by musicNow
Today at 08:24 PM
Liszt's letters to Jessie Laussot
by Michael Sayers
Today at 07:59 PM
Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig?
by Tony Romo
Today at 07:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission