2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I just finished building the cabinet and thought I'd record what I've been working on. It's pretty mellow and simple. I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm planning on just playing whatever I come up with for a while longer then diving into learning how to actually play correctly. Possibly get a teacher at some point. Have a look and feel free to comment. Honestly, does it seem like I'm catching on well enough for the time I've been playing? Folks at work say I'm doing all right but none of them play piano and you know how people are. No one wants to say anything bad. I'm not fishing for compliments, just some opinions and some direction/words of wisdom if you've got a minute. I mean, I'm aware everyone progresses at different rates. So, perhaps asking is pointless. I don't know... haha

Thanks for your time.
-Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZt_Q4O6BoE

A
A
Originally Posted by Zuul
I just finished building the cabinet and thought I'd record what I've been working on. It's pretty mellow and simple. I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm planning on just playing whatever I come up with for a while longer then diving into learning how to actually play correctly. Possibly get a teacher at some point. Have a look and feel free to comment. Honestly, does it seem like I'm catching on well enough for the time I've been playing? Folks at work say I'm doing all right but none of them play piano and you know how people are. No one wants to say anything bad. I'm not fishing for compliments, just some opinions and some direction/words of wisdom if you've got a minute. I mean, I'm aware everyone progresses at different rates. So, perhaps asking is pointless. I don't know... haha

Thanks for your time.
-Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZt_Q4O6BoE

I'm not a teacher myself, but I think that is really nice playing for your 4 months of self-learning... Far better than what I was when I had been playing for only 4 months (with a teacher). I was a substitute piano teacher a few weeks, and you have a lot more progress than kids who's been playing for years (that's kids though, I don't know if grown-ups learns more easily).

Nord Stage 2, Nord Lead 4, Rhodes MkII, Yamaha MOX6, Novation SL MkII
Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thank you. I appreciate you taking to time to reply. I'm still on the fence about getting a teacher or just learning myself. Yesterday I bought the Alfred's Teach Yourself to Play Piano book and DVD. So, I guess I'll give that a shot for a while and see how it goes. It seems pretty informative so far.

Thanks again.

-Z

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hya, I know this may be off topic, but can I hear either a parrot or a cockatiel chuntering away in the background?
I do ask for a reason !
I used to keep these birds,(as well as rescued injured corvids)
One thing I noticed, certain songs on the piano made them become more vocally active then others.
For real.
Nice playing , imagine how well you would do with a teacher!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
You're off to a great start. All that matters is if your playing brings YOU joy. I'm self taught too - took about a year of organ lessons after playing for 5 years. You might want to take a few lessons to broaden your horizons at some point - but whatever you do - just keep having fun. No matter what I or anyone else thinks. (I sent you a yt friend request)

Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Man! I'm sorry, I haven't checked this post in a while. I completely forgot about it. You're completely on the money, there's a cockatiel not 5 feet from my piano. lol Good ear.

Here he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suC-ijOGUYk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9-w-iQ4OlE

Z
Zuul Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thanks, Chris. Sorry for the slow reply. I forgot about this post. I actually have taken a few lessons in the past few weeks. It's pointed me in a better direction, that's for sure. Unfortunately, I had to stop though. Family expenses trump piano lessons 100% of the time. I'm happy with what I learned though. I can read music now and that alone is a huge step forward for me. I have a natural ability to play by ear and that's gotten me really far with music. Being able to read it while I'm working my way through it has only made it easier. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay self taught now though. I have the books the teacher was using and I have the internet so I should do well enough. I'm having a blast playing. I've hardly looked at my guitars since the piano came home. haha

thanks again.
-Z

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission