2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
MadLiszt #1684398 05/25/11 02:20 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
EDIT: and you might want to look up what things need to happen in order for an economy to improve. Hint: It involves more people spending money.

You mean like people spending money on tulips, like what happened in the Netherlands? That really worked!

Semipro Tech
BDB #1684404 05/25/11 02:29 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by BDB

You mean like people spending money on tulips, like what happened in the Netherlands? That really worked!

You might want to take an economics class or at least read a book about the subject. When people and businesses stop spending money, economies tank. Spending helps economies. It's a simple fact.

Last edited by Lefty Chev; 05/25/11 02:29 PM.
MadLiszt #1684408 05/25/11 02:43 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
Or maybe I could take a class with a famous economist. Oh, wait, I did that already. Of course, by that, I mean I took a class with him, not from him.

There are plenty of (pseudo) economists who tell you that investing helps economies, and that spending hurts them. That is the whole lie behind consumption taxes. You are just touting the opposite lie.

Semipro Tech
MadLiszt #1684409 05/25/11 02:43 PM

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
At age 50, I often shudder to think of the various things I earnestly wanted to have tattooed onto myself at various points in my youth. Not that I've radically changed lifestyles since then, there's just a natural evolution of my tastes and outlook with time.

But my final decision not to get inked was made when I had an aged co-worker with vintage tattoos from youth. Some things just do not improve with time.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
MadLiszt #1684414 05/25/11 02:53 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
What does improve with time? Doesn't time destroy everything eventually? All those job interviews and promotions, all that money making, isn't it all pretty pointless in the end?

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
BDB #1684419 05/25/11 03:03 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by BDB
Or maybe I could take a class with a famous economist. Oh, wait, I did that already. Of course, by that, I mean I took a class with him, not from him.

There are plenty of (pseudo) economists who tell you that investing helps economies, and that spending hurts them. That is the whole lie behind consumption taxes. You are just touting the opposite lie.

What in the world are you talking about? Economic growth IS an increase in spending. A contraction IS a decrease. You can't grow an economy by spending less. They're exact opposites. If everyone decides to horde their cash, the economy will get much worse and more jobs will be lost. Companies have to sell goods and services in order to make money to pay wages.

Maybe you're talking about government injecting money into the economy by increasing spending, but that's a very different thing than consumer and business spending.

MadLiszt #1684438 05/25/11 03:35 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
If you have not heard of these theories, then you know less about economics than I do. Perhaps you should consider taking some classes in economics, or reading a few books.

Semipro Tech
Amant #1684458 05/25/11 04:03 PM
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Amant
Originally Posted by jotur
Originally Posted by Canonie
I may have a tattoo of a very famous cat on my buttock. But if I never show anyone, is the tat really there?

Q: what is the name of the cat? wink

I don't know the cat's name, but I think it belonged to Schrodinger.

Cathy

Schrödinger's cat is a quantum mechanical thought experiment dealing with the superimposition of physical states calculated by linear mathematics.

And?

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
... but it seems a bit far to say people get them just to conform.....

Bingo! When one understands the logic of nonconformity in order to conform, (or similar similes such as "We had to destroy the village in order to save it."), it is only a baby-step in tackling issues of dysphoric dystopia.

Or issues of semantic snark. smile

BDB #1684468 05/25/11 04:22 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by BDB
If you have not heard of these theories, then you know less about economics than I do. Perhaps you should consider taking some classes in economics, or reading a few books.

What theories? So far you haven't said much of anything other than that buying tattoos is bad for the economy. I'd love for you to expound on that and perhaps share the theories that say that less consumer spending will help the economy.

MadLiszt #1684483 05/25/11 04:57 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
Except I did not say that buying tattoos is bad for the economy. I just said it was a worse decision than other decisions.

Semipro Tech
BDB #1684556 05/25/11 07:27 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by BDB
Except I did not say that buying tattoos is bad for the economy. I just said it was a worse decision than other decisions.

Really?

Originally Posted by BDB

What is more, the decision to spend money foolishly, particularly at this period of the world economy, affects other people, including myself. That gives me the right to be judgmental.

So spend[ing] money foolishly (buying a tattoo) affects other people at this period of the world economy how exactly then?

chercherchopin #1684590 05/25/11 08:36 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by chercherchopin
Schrödinger's cat is a quantum mechanical thought experiment dealing with the superimposition of physical states calculated by linear mathematics.

And?

Quantum mechanics gives the probability that we will make a given measurement (the linear mathematical component). Fundamentally, a quantum is the minimum amount of any physical entity involved in an interaction.
The supposition is that a cat is placed in a box together with a radioactive atom, (the quantum). In a “Rube Goldberg” sort of contraption, if the atom decays and a Geiger-counter detects an alpha particle at the precise wavelength a hammer will break a flask of prussic acid thereby killing the cat. That is, the cat's fate is tied to the wave function of the atomic particle, which is itself in a superposition of molecular decayed and undecayed states. Therefore the cat must itself be in a superposition of dead and alive states before the observer opens the box and which should be mathematically predictable.
The mathematical component describes how probabilities change with time in a linear fashion. If, theoretically, the cat has a 50% probability of decaying within fixed unit of time (e.g., hours), then within a fractional unit of time (e.g., minutes) it will have only a slight chance of having died and decayed. (In reality, death by inhalation of toxic gasses with tissue decay follows a non-linear pathway with numerous variables and constraints.)
Again, "The Cat" is primarily a thought experiment applied to purely linear situations such as quantum mechanics and related fields such atomic theory, as well as computer linear programming, in order confirm or disrepute a prevailing mathematical theory. By extension it is used to predict and forecast the probability of an occurrence dependent on linear situations such as the mathematical formulae Oppenheimer used to determine when the atomic bomb dropped over Hiroshima should be detonated; too early or too late and it would cause minimal intended damage.

Originally Posted by chercherchopin
Bingo! When one understands the logic of nonconformity in order to conform, (or similar similes such as "We had to destroy the village in order to save it."), it is only a baby-step in tackling issues of dysphoric dystopia.

Or issues of semantic snark. smile

It reminds me of an "original cast" Saturday Night Live routine of the Land Shark Snark.

In truth, semantics, like mathematics is beautiful in the plasticity of its polemic design. Semantics IMO is equivalent to chord theory where one has to use voice leading and ordered inversions to create the correct (dis)pleasing harmonic tones in order to achieve intended effect, (e.g., a minor9 chord = Root tone + â™­III Major7 chord = Root & flattened third tones + a minor V chord).

And then there is the rhythmic quality of semantics. (Remember the iambic pentameter?) Read Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, King's I Have a Dream or Churchill's Blood Toil Tears & Sweat speeches aloud to get a feeling of a master word-smith's works very much akin to a fine composer's compositions in matters of meter.

MadLiszt #1684596 05/25/11 08:47 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
fwiw, if anyone is really interested in a clear explanation of Schrodinger's Cat, the Wikipedia article is excellent: link

Speaking of Wikipedia (a less contentious subject than tattoos), here's an interesting fact popularized in today's xkcd comic: If you take almost any Wikipedia page, and click on the first link in the article text that's not in italics or parentheses, and you keep doing this again and again... eventually you'll end up on the "Philosophy" page. Try it! smile

-Jason

MadLiszt #1684601 05/25/11 08:55 PM
F
F
I have several, one of which is an H.R. Giger-inspired treble clef:

[Linked Image]

Yama B3
beet31425 #1684603 05/25/11 08:58 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425
Speaking of Wikipedia (a less contentious subject than tattoos), here's an interesting fact popularized in today's xkcd comic: If you take almost any Wikipedia page, and click on the first link in the article text that's not in italics or parentheses, and you keep doing this again and again... eventually you'll end up on the "Philosophy" page.
L O L Awesome! "Periodic Table," "Mahler," and "Cookie Monster," all check out.

-Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
MadLiszt #1684605 05/25/11 09:02 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you really want it...

...and care what other people think (i.e. they don't care for the asthetics),

...then get it and wear a long sleeve shirt to cover it.

If you don't care what other people think, wear anything you want.

If you wear a long sleeve shirt to cover it, what's the point in getting it in the first place?

Do what you want, is my suggestion to you.

Live and let live, is my suggestions to the judgers.

beet31425 #1684607 05/25/11 09:03 PM
A
A
fwiw, if anyone is really interested in a clear explanation of Schrodinger's Cat, the Wikipedia article is excellent: link

I once had a mentoring professor that would not allow us to quote books when dealing with morphological observations. The logic: He made us describe our own observations in our own words thereby enforcing our own analytic abilities rather than on relying on someone else's (even if famous) analytical descriptions.

Why depend on Wiki when I can describe "The Cat" in my own words? It's only when one can describe rather than quote that one has mastery of a subject.

beet31425 #1684709 05/26/11 12:55 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Speaking of Wikipedia (a less contentious subject than tattoos), here's an interesting fact popularized in today's xkcd comic: If you take almost any Wikipedia page, and click on the first link in the article text that's not in italics or parentheses, and you keep doing this again and again... eventually you'll end up on the "Philosophy" page. Try it! smile

-Jason

Holy Crap! It worked!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by polyphasicpianist

-Jason

HAHA! Indeed it did! It took me more than 10 pages but it did!

Impressive!

Holy Crap! It worked!

Amant #1684822 05/26/11 07:49 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
I may have a tattoo of a very famous cat on my buttock. But if I never show anyone, is the tat really there?

This raises an even more serious question--is your butt really there? I guess you'd have to show us.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission