Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1683354 - 05/23/11 09:29 PM What is Chas M. Stieff?
MrMagic Offline

Loc: Stettler AB Canada
There is a 1928 Chas M. Stieff 6'1" grand piano advertized locally for $2500. It looks like it is in original shape.

I had never hear of them until now, and they aren't even mentioned in Larry Fine's book, so I did a bit of research. If you can believe what you read on the web they are a pretty good piano.

I've been saving up for a new or nearly new grand at least 6', and at this point have it narrowed down to Estonia, Petrof or Boston. But I'm probably at least 3 years away from that.

I have considered a older piano, possibly a fixer upper, and at this price I could start now.

This is my first post here, but I've been following this off and on for some time.

Any educated opinions? Thanks!
Roland KR577
Roland VK-8M Tonewheel organ module
GigaStudio GS3 Ensemble (Bosendorfer & Estonia piano samples)
Roland E20, JV30 (retired)
An old concertina which I can't play

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1683413 - 05/23/11 11:33 PM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
In a piano of that vintage it always comes down to condition, however, Stieff was generally considered a very fine piano in its day. It had good build quality and materials, however, they never got the name recognition of their Baltimore competitor, Knabe.

#1683624 - 05/24/11 09:07 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
As a Baltimore dealer for many, many years, I have seen and sold a number of Stieffs. In good condition, they were a very fine piano. The problem is that few are still in good shape, most needing rebuilding. However, unless they are in an art case or have setimental value, rebuilding a Stieff isn't usually a financially sound idea as their lack of name recognition nationally reduces their resale value.

And, you never know how a rebuilt piano will perform until is is actually rebuilt.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1684056 - 05/25/11 12:53 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
MrMagic Offline

Thank you very much, this will help me make a better evaluation.

I plan to see the piano this Friday May 27. I'm curious to know how one of these made it to western Canada!
Roland KR577

#1684065 - 05/25/11 01:09 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
David Burton Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Coxsackie, New York
That's a nice sized piano. Chas M. Stieff (pronounced STEEF) was indeed a very well regarded piano maker. When you go see the piano be sure and find the serial number of the piano and report back to us.

Years ago, in Newport, Rhode Island, I met a man who was a member of the Stieff family, actually named Stieff. He asked if I'd heard of them? Yes, I had. He told me something like that his great grandfather had been THE Charles Stieff, that they had made some nice grand pianos that he thought compared to the best American made grand pianos, etc.

What Steve Cohen said bears repeating; you never know how a rebuilt piano will perform until is is actually rebuilt.

You can find yourself a nice basic piano to have rebuilt, a “core” as some call them. That's basically the case, the keyboard and the plate. That Stieff piano might or might not be a candidate. If any of those things has physical problems, especially the plate, it's a red flag and a no go. In a really old piano the rebuilder has the choice of replacing the action (not always possible) or modernizing it with replacement parts (not always so easy). And it will be expensive, at this point you can buy a new Chinese piano of the same size for less and believe me, you can buy quality from China these days. I've seen and played them.

Would I do something like this anyway? If money were no option, and if the case was an art case, maybe. But there's no guarantee how they will sound when they come back. You may or may not like the result even if the bare minimum requirements are met; that it looks, plays and sounds as if brand new.

#1684242 - 05/25/11 10:15 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
Duane McGuire Offline

Loc: Utah
I agree with the other fine responses you have received here. I do have some thoughts keying in on another aspect of your post.

You say that you are 3 years away from your goal, but you don't say what you are playing now. If the Steiff is a pleasure to play, would it be helpful to your development as a pianist to own and play it for the next three years? If so, it's worth exploring further.

I have a 1911 Stieff in my living room that I enjoy playing everyday. I'm a piano technician, and someday, I'll take the time to do a full rebuild. But until that day, I enjoy it very much!

Before investing $2500 in an old piano, it would be wise to check it out with a technician, so you have more objective criteria about its condition. For instance, unless I'm planning an immediate full rebuild, (including pinblock replacement) I won't buy a piano which has less than 40 lb-in of tuning pin torque.

If you like the way the piano performs now, and your checkout shows that that value is there, then buy it, play it, and sell it for $2500 in three years. Enjoy the heck out of it!

But -- in reality -- to buy it, rebuild it, and expect it to be the equivalent of your Estonia, Petrof, or Boston goal -- no. You could reach the quality goal, but your investment would exceed the ultimate market value.

PTG Associate

#1684654 - 05/25/11 10:16 PM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hudson, FL
Stief is a proud old Baltimore name. In addition to manufacturing pianos, they are famous for their sterling silver service.

Be sure to have this instrument thoroughly reviewed by a competent technician. My sister-in-law purchased a very old Stief baby grand (I'm not sure of the size) for about the same price that you mention. Her technician recommended it, and she loves it.

When I played it, I found the action to be very stiff and heavy, the tone washed out. In short, I didn't like it at all.

Still, she's happy, so all's fine. I'm happy too, because I bought a new Hailun 178, which has a smooth action and a super tone. She has never traveled to my state to play it, but I sort of dread that she will visit and play it. I just hope that she never realizes that she purchased a very inferior instrument. Even the best instruments wear out and age.

Hop

#1685836 - 05/28/11 01:32 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
MrMagic Offline

Thank you again for those very helpful posts!

I saw the piano today. Sounds lovely, very nice and mellow like I like. I'm getting a technician to check it next week.

Case is what one would expect of a piano this age, lots of shallow scratches and a few minor chips. Definately would need refinishing if used in living room, but this would be going in my basement.

Soundboard has a few very small cracks.

Action is a bit tired but certainly playable.

Two spliced bass strings, several newer bass strings, one missing treble string. 4 or five new pins.

Two missing hammers A7 & C8, way up there!

Apparently tuned last Sept, but a few strings are slightly flat, suggesting some loose pins.

I played several Hailun and a few Petrof pianos today. Definately spoiled me a bit for an 83 year old piano, however the 83 yo does have it's charm!

I still prefer the Petrof sound and action over the Hailun, but the Hailun is a very nice piano, especially for the price. I could definately live with one!

If I'm patient and focused I could probably own one in 2-3 years. Even tho I'm kinda charmed by the Stieff, the Hailun probably makes more sense. I gotta learn more about these.

Better quit now!

Edited by MrMagic (05/29/11 09:17 AM)
Roland KR577

#1685903 - 05/28/11 06:25 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
Bart Kinlein Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
One of the "charms" of owing a late 19th, early 20th century piano is realizing that it was built when Scriabin, Rachmaninoff, Grieg, Granados and many others (feel free to add!) were composing. But still a "mostly" modern instrument. I like to think there is some of those composer's DNA in that period's instruments (ridiculous, I know but that's how I feel when playing mine).

And, at my age. it's nice to know there is something around that is older than you! grin

Edited by Bart Kinlein (05/28/11 06:29 AM)

#1685958 - 05/28/11 09:19 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: Bart Kinlein]
MrMagic Offline

Originally Posted By: Bart Kinlein
One of the "charms" of owing a late 19th, early 20th century piano is realizing that it was built when Scriabin, Rachmaninoff, Grieg, Granados and many others (feel free to add!) were composing. But still a "mostly" modern instrument. I like to think there is some of those composer's DNA in that period's instruments (ridiculous, I know but that's how I feel when playing mine).

And, at my age. it's nice to know there is something around that is older than you! grin

I hadn't thought about that kind of charm but yes, I suppose you are right.

I was also charmed by the new pianos, but in a different way. And that is what makes me aware of the charm of older things, in that they can please us without being new and modern.

And you can't put a dollar value on charm.
Roland KR577

#1686005 - 05/28/11 10:47 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
Bachsky Offline

Loc: McFarland, WI 53558
I had the privilege of playing a rebuilt Chas M. Stieff from the vintage you describe and close to the same size. The rebuilder talked the institution (owner) of the old piano, out of buying a new instrument (he sold new and does re-building) The Chas M. Stieff was delightful to play and I look forward to making a trip back to the city where it is located to play it again. I would not make the trip just to see and play a new instrument.

Keep in mind that the rebuild probably cost the same as buying a new piano of similar size. However, the unique and charming voice of the old Chas M. Stieff will be a fond memory for me for a long time.
1904 Henry F. Miller Concert Grand * 2002 Estonia 190 Satin Bubinga * 2008 Schulze-Pohlman vertical 125 polished cherrywood peacock design * 2008 Schoenhut minature grand (49 keys) * 2008 Roland Digital Harpsichord, 2010 Roland FP-4 (88 key slab).

#1686010 - 05/28/11 10:59 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Of course, the problem with this brand is that the action was known to be rather .... stieff.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1686100 - 05/28/11 02:13 PM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: Piano*Dad]
MrMagic Offline

is that with a Scottish or French accent??

Edited by MrMagic (05/28/11 02:52 PM)
Roland KR577

#1686373 - 05/29/11 02:05 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
By your own assessment of its condition the piano is already a maintenance problem. I would a avoid it.

Eschew obfuscation.

#1686449 - 05/29/11 09:18 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
MrMagic Offline

Thank you rXd, I have the feeling the tech report will confirm that. frown

My plan is to see if it is worth restoring to the point that it played and sounded well. I don't need it to look good at this point as it will be going into my basement. There is already an old upright and Hammond organ upstairs!

Edited by MrMagic (05/29/11 11:23 AM)
Roland KR577

#1690170 - 06/03/11 10:26 PM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
MrMagic Offline

Well I've made a deal on the piano! Had a very experienced rebuilder check it out. He reminded me to keep in mind that it is an old piano and has been well used, but nothing seriously wrong.

After the current owner is finished teaching on it in two weeks it's going directly to the rebuilder's shop for a new bridge, strings, tuning pins, and some work on the action for now. No missing or chipped keytops, so the cosmetic stuff can wait.
Roland KR577

#1690592 - 06/04/11 07:58 PM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
New pinblock, too (I hope)?
Richfield Springs, New York

#1690618 - 06/04/11 08:56 PM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
MrMagic Offline

No, I asked about that but they are just putting in oversize pins. They can repair any pin holes that are oversize.
Roland KR577

#1702525 - 06/26/11 05:52 PM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
MrMagic Offline

I finished the deal on the piano and is now at the rebuilder's shop. I had a chance to play it again and I still love it!

So now I am the happy new owner of a 1928 Chas. M. Stieff 6'1" grand piano!

It's apparent that some work has been done on it in the past.

Considering the cost of refinishing the cabinet and the real value of the piano, I am researching the possibility of doing it myself. I will seek some feedback and experiences in a new post.

Unfortunately the room it was in was quite small with a window directly behind it so photography was difficult.
Roland KR577

#1738748 - 08/23/11 01:04 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
MrMagic Offline

Went to visit my grandbaby today, looks great but sounds terrible! Just finished stringing and first tuning last week. Many more tunings to come before it's ready.

Notice the split treble bridge?

Attachments
IMG_2067 Small.jpg (11 downloads)

Edited by MrMagic (08/23/11 01:08 AM)
Roland KR577

#1738782 - 08/23/11 01:54 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

That's neat; I'm not sure I would have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out. It's called a tenor bridge. The smaller Charles Walter grand has one, and old pianos are occasionally redesigned to include one during the rebuilding process on pianos that need their scale design smoothed out.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1738962 - 08/23/11 11:16 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: beethoven986]
MrMagic Offline

Originally Posted By: beethoven986
That's neat; I'm not sure I would have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out. It's called a tenor bridge. The smaller Charles Walter grand has one, and old pianos are occasionally redesigned to include one during the rebuilding process on pianos that need their scale design smoothed out.

Interesting, thanks for the additional info!
Roland KR577

#1758262 - 09/23/11 11:16 PM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
MrMagic Offline

I paid my piano another visit yesterday. This time it had been tuned the day before my visit and is settling in very nicely. New strings, bridge cap, reshaped hammers, but it still has that nice mellow old piano sound. Verrry nice!

It looks much nicer under the lid than outside, but that will come in time. Meanwhile, I'm just going to enjoy playing it!

Roland KR577

#1758267 - 09/23/11 11:26 PM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
Hello Mr Magic,

Hey you've got 99 posts on the wall,
Careful you don't fall grin

I love the look of the plate. Good for you in taking on this project. Best wishes in
the restoration work.

#1758277 - 09/23/11 11:48 PM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
victor kam Online   content

Loc: Malaysia
Hi Mr Magic,
Any reason why you are not changing the hammers?
Yamaha CS (8ft 3in)#1198650, Steinway hammers on Tokiwa shanks and Isaac Profundo S bass strings.
Yamaha UX 2499771; Casio PX-3 keyboard

#1758287 - 09/24/11 12:04 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: victor kam]
MrMagic Offline

Originally Posted By: victor kam
Hi Mr Magic,
Any reason why you are not changing the hammers?

The hammers were in good shape as they had been replaced not too long ago.

There Dara, I'm safe now, I passed the 100 mark!

Yes, recycling this old piano has been a rewarding project, and I am very pleased with the results so far.
Roland KR577

#1758300 - 09/24/11 12:47 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
Rotom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Good on you for choosing to restore the piano! I think it looks positively wonderful so far, and am very glad you are enjoying it! I'm looking forward to see the outside finished.

Congrats on 100! grin Well done!!

#1761102 - 09/28/11 01:14 PM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
keyboardkat Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Wow, this topic and the photos bring back memories. Back in 1968 through 1971, I was music teacher at a Maryland state training school in Reisterstown, Md. The music room had a large Stieff grand. It was old, badly scratched and banged up, and of course, out of tune, but it was really solid. Even though it wasn't in tune, you could still hear the quality. It seemed to have been built to last through the wars.
I didn't know it was the same Stieff family that made the silver.

#2141116 - 08/30/13 01:24 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
NickGrooves Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA

Hello, I recently acquired a Stieff upright. I tried searching on Blue Book and other sites, and can't seem to determine its age! help please! Also, there's a larger issue at hand (excuse the pun) ...

When I got it, I was looking for a piano to dismantle into art pieces around my home. However, once I brought it home I started to feel bad about taking it apart. The fact that my wife is from Baltimore also made me wonder if I should keep it intact for sentimental reasons. That having been said, I'm torn about its condition. The keys are all intact but very dirty. The wood cabinet would require extensive cleaning and possible refinishing, and could very likely have mold inside ... it used to belong to a school, and was sitting untouched in their basement for many decades (at least 50 years). The damper and una corda pedals work, and all the keys work, but it's badly out of tune.

After reading this thread, my understanding is I should probably dismantle and salvage as cool art instead of spending money on it. I guess I'm hoping you'll agree as I need some pushing to jump off this cliff ... it might sound silly but I'm really having issues cutting into this "diamond in the rough" for lack of a better phrase ...
DeVoe & Son upright piano
Chas. M. Stieff upright piano, may become art project ...

#2141162 - 08/30/13 03:46 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: NickGrooves]
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Loc: Northern Virgina
I used to live in Atlanta. What school kept a piano stored for 50 years?
I think most of the negative advice probably goes double for an upright. It'd be worth less than a grand. On the other hand, sentimental reasons aren't always rational (or bad).

#2141164 - 08/30/13 03:50 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Loc: Northern Virgina
P.S. I'm glad you resuscitated this old thread, 'cause I sometimes see Stieffs on Craigslist. I didn't realize they were such a quality instrument. Might be worth considering. :-)

Edited by Retsacnal (09/12/13 03:17 PM)

#2143833 - 09/04/13 03:26 AM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: Retsacnal]
NickGrooves Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
The school shut down about 50 years ago, purchased by a private family and turned into a home. The surrounding land was developed into homes as well, and now it's just another neighborhood. Anyway ... definitely worth less as an upright than if it were a grand ... but what I'm really trying to determine is the age. Any ideas? I was unable to find it on the blue book directory site.
DeVoe & Son upright piano
Chas. M. Stieff upright piano, may become art project ...

#2158743 - 09/27/13 06:23 PM Re: What is Chas M. Stieff? [Re: MrMagic]
OldBiker Offline

Loc: USA, MD
I have a Stieff 1905 Upright Player, many years ago had totally restore the way it was made back in those early days, cost a lot $$$$$, but well worth it to me. Serial # 29611. Have photos of outside and inside. Hap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq vs Digital Piano vs Acoustic Piano
by wildpig
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Baldwin Hamilton 1941
by JMN12
Yesterday at 11:13 PM
Tucson, AZ: Is Arizona Room a bad place for a piano?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:14 PM
Kissin plays...
by JoelW
Yesterday at 07:33 PM
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
Yesterday at 05:51 PM
Who's Online
75 registered (Al LaPorte, barbaram, 255, AEMontoya, 17 invisible), 1017 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157573 Topics
2314559 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission