Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1683492 - 05/24/11 01:28 AM Kawai CP-209 vs. AvantGrand N3 & Roland V-Piano Grand
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Was wondering as to how the Kawai CP-209 fits in among the best digital grands that are currently available?

There hasn't been much mention of the CP-209 in this forum, although it is a very expensive piano and not many are probably able to afford one.

Looks like the CP-209 has some impressive specs, and, has anyone had a chance to play one?

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/CP_2010/cp_209.html

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1683510 - 05/24/11 02:23 AM Re: Kawai CP-209 vs. AvantGrand N3 & Roland V-Piano Grand [Re: pv88]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I have played with one of these briefly. I haven't tried the V-Grand or N3 to make any comparison though. It seemed nice enough to play. I think you have to tinker a lot with the EQ to get the sound you want though. I wasn't blown away by it on first impression. It was actually too mellow for me - but that might be correctable. The action felt nice and the sound was big.

#1683511 - 05/24/11 02:29 AM Re: Kawai CP-209 vs. AvantGrand N3 & Roland V-Piano Grand [Re: pv88]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
pv88, the CP209 is an ensemble digital piano, featuring a vast selection of instrument sounds, hundreds of accompaniment styles, and a broad range of arranger/recorder features. It's an impressive instrument, certainly, however the CP209 is not really comparable to the AvantGrand or V-Piano Grand.

Unlike Yamaha and Roland, Kawai does not currently produce an ebony polish grand piano instrument that features the best keyboard action and sound technology. However, that's not to say that the 'Classic Series' range of piano-oriented ebony polish DPs will not be expanded in the future.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1683514 - 05/24/11 02:33 AM Re: Kawai CP-209 vs. AvantGrand N3 & Roland V-Piano Grand [Re: ando]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi ando,

Did you experiment any with the escapement feature (called "Let Off" by Kawai), and, how was the decay and overall resonance of the sound?

#1683518 - 05/24/11 02:37 AM Re: Kawai CP-209 vs. AvantGrand N3 & Roland V-Piano Grand [Re: Kawai James]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
pv88, the CP209 is an ensemble digital piano, featuring a vast selection of instrument sounds, hundreds of accompaniment styles, and a broad range of arranger/recorder features. It's an impressive instrument, certainly, however the CP209 is not really comparable to the AvantGrand or V-Piano Grand.

Unlike Yamaha and Roland, Kawai does not currently produce an ebony polish grand piano instrument that features the best keyboard action and sound technology. However, that's not to say that the 'Classic Series' range of piano-oriented ebony polish DPs will not be expanded in the future.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hi James,

Looks like your post just preceded my question to "ando" above, although do you have experience with playing the CP-209 (and if so) what do you think of the "Let Off" feature, and the note decay, in particular?

#1683526 - 05/24/11 02:55 AM Re: Kawai CP-209 vs. AvantGrand N3 & Roland V-Piano Grand [Re: pv88]
9000 Post Club Member

pb88, I haven't had a great deal of experience with the CP209 specifically, however I have played various Kawai DPs that utilise the same 'RM3 Grand' with let-off keyboard action (CA93, MP10, CS6).

The 'let-off' feature is certainly a nice addition, and adds an extra layer of 'icing on top' realism to the playing experience. However, unless I deliberately press individual keys very slowly, I'm afraid my piano playing skill is not sufficient to really appreciate such subtleties.

The note decay is comparable with a CNx3-class instrument, as these models utilise the same 'PHI' sound technology. It's unlikely to compete with the purely modelled tone produced by the V-Piano, however I expect that for the majority of players, the instrument's note decay is perfectly fine.

Kind regards,
James
x

#1683556 - 05/24/11 05:23 AM Re: Kawai CP-209 vs. AvantGrand N3 & Roland V-Piano Grand [Re: Kawai James]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

James,

Thanks for your input here, as always.

pv88

#2023475 - 01/29/13 01:55 PM Re: Kawai CP-209 vs. AvantGrand N3 & Roland V-Piano Grand [Re: pv88]
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I just purchased the Kawai CP209 and I adore it! To anyone who wants the versatility of a digital and the charm of an acoustic, I would recommend the CP209.

I've been playing a Clavinova for 7 years it was time for an upgrade. Even though the CP209 isn't the big acoustic that I covet, it is a wonderful instrument. The touch is similar to a big acoustic and is much more responsive and "controllable" than the Clav. When sitting at the CP209, I can almost imagine that I'm playing a big Shigeru. Maybe that will be in the cards in another 7 years!

A tired dog is a good dog.

#2023535 - 01/29/13 04:15 PM Re: Kawai CP-209 vs. AvantGrand N3 & Roland V-Piano Grand [Re: pv88]
9000 Post Club Member

Congrats Patty!

The CP209 is indeed a very impressive instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x

#2024249 - 01/30/13 07:53 PM Re: Kawai CP-209 vs. AvantGrand N3 & Roland V-Piano Grand [Re: PattyP]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PattyP
I just purchased the Kawai CP209 and I adore it! To anyone who wants the versatility of a digital and the charm of an acoustic, I would recommend the CP209.

Patty,

Congratulations, on your new digital!

I never thought that anyone was going to add anything to this old thread of mine, however, I am glad to see that you bought the Kawai CP209 and are very happy with it.

I had considered looking at this model as well, although I decided to get the Kawai CA95 instead, and, I also have a Kawai EP3.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I can only Trill well on good grand pianos....
by Paul678
09/22/14 11:48 PM
Is Bondfix just as good as Hotstuff CA glue?
by Paul678
09/22/14 10:42 PM
What's up with Paulello?
by jim ialeggio
09/22/14 10:13 PM
Kawai RX-2 and RX-2 BLAK
by myip
09/22/14 08:15 PM
UVi Grand Piano, cant get the MIDI Files help?
by JungleJim
09/22/14 06:23 PM
Who's Online
61 registered (barbaram, AZNpiano, a-z0-9, AliAlkhiro, 10 invisible), 939 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157700 Topics
2316410 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission