Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1682393 - 05/22/11 12:44 AM CP5 Tweaking
MagicRat Offline

I've seen a bit of discussion on this board about people unhappy with the Yamaha CP5 presets.

I'm wondering...can anyone share a detailed description of what tweaks they've made to "upgrade" the sounds? Or any other combinations they've created to take advantage of the DP's sound engine.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to this kind of thing. Trial and error doesn't really help. I understand the concept behind parameters like hammer strike, the various reverbs, decay and release times. But I don't have the patience or inclination to tinker with every possible combination and permutation. I figure if someone can share what they've done, maybe I (and anyone like me) can learn a little bit from your experience.

Anyone up for a quick tutorial or a simple description of your tweaks? I'd greatly appreciate the effort.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1682432 - 05/22/11 04:02 AM Re: CP5 Tweaking [Re: MagicRat]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Trial and error doesn't really help.

It helped me.

I understand the concept behind parameters like hammer strike, the various reverbs, decay and release times.

and the problem is ...?

But I don't have the patience or inclination to tinker with every possible combination and permutation.

Problem identified.

I figure if someone can share what they've done, maybe I (and anyone like me) can learn a little bit from your experience.

I figure you can spend a bit more time on this, learn something in the process, and you can report back as a convert.

Approach this as a thought experiment. Identify something about the sound you don't like. Which of the parameters that you have some control over could change the sound more to your liking? That's how I approached it, trial and error with some thought behind it (for the default piano sound).

For the Rhodes sound I tried layering various Rhodes with other Rhodes to get a good start.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1683365 - 05/23/11 09:50 PM Re: CP5 Tweaking [Re: MagicRat]
CMac Offline

The biggest bang for the buck as far as I am concerned is the advantage gained by increasing the size of the sound stage. Take for instance the main piano sound and pan it far right. Now put the same piano sound again on the second voice and pan it far left. Now play a bit - what a difference the widened stereo image makes on the sound. For me it makes the instrument come alive. You can also experiment with the sound effects and multiple layers. There are a number of sounds in there that sound really nice together. Take a good listen to the frequencies that are there also. Rolling off the top end of a buzzy string can make it a nice mello addition to add to a piano sound. Dave is onto something suggesting you experiment - be creative - just start mixing and matching - its amazing what will fall out from between the cracks.

#1683476 - 05/24/11 12:59 AM Re: CP5 Tweaking [Re: Dave Horne]
MagicRat Offline

Um. Thanks?

I appreciate that folks aren't jumping all over this request. So I suppose I'll just leave it and tinker away on my own as suggested. (Though, thank you, CMac, for your more helpful and nuanced reply).

But I don't think my issue is laziness. It's just that there isn't exactly anything I'm hearing that sounds "off" to me or in need of drastic action. And I'm hoping some of you kind folks might share the benefit of your knowledge and experience. Maybe something you've done will inspire me or help explain a little about how to approach the seemingly limitless options.

Like if this were a forum for heart surgeons and I was a newbie with a head full of ideas and a brand new scalpel. Would you prefer I start hacking away at my patient or maybe start with something you've found a bit more purposeful?

It's not like there's anything intuitive to a novice about how to shape sounds based on configuring hammer positions, overtone, flangers, multiband compressors, ring modulators, harmonic enhancers, reverb density and something called the master compressor.

I'm mostly being serious here. In my experience (and I'll grant you, I prefer to spend more time playing the piano than tinkering with how it sounds) the more I play with parameters and patches, the more everything sounds like crap.

So please offer some insight if you can. If not, no worries. Thanks anyway.

#1683529 - 05/24/11 03:05 AM Re: CP5 Tweaking [Re: MagicRat]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
It's just that there isn't exactly anything I'm hearing that sounds "off" to me or in need of drastic action.

Then I would suggest to play around with the reverb and the EQ ... and do this with a good set of headphones.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1683633 - 05/24/11 09:38 AM Re: CP5 Tweaking [Re: MagicRat]
CMac Offline

MagicRat I understand your frustration. I was looking for CP5 "patches" a while back and didn't find any. This is in stark contrast to 20 years ago when it seemed like everyone and their dog was offering patches for the latest board that was up for offer. I guess the market has changed since then. Its too bad really. The new boards have so much more to offer than those of the past and yet when the manufacturers don't offer a polished experience it can leave the "average" user in the lurch. Many people enjoy the challenge of playing with the new toy and tweeking to create for themselves something that is unique for them. That is OK I suppose but I, like you, would rather spend my hours with the music not the board.

I find the CP5 is an excellent instrument. I love the action and applaud Yamaha for attempting something new when so many are just looking to recreate what an acoustic piano does (out of necessity because of the hammers and strings, etc). I find the lighter feel ends up being much more expressive. The basic sounds however are too clean for my liking. The sounds are well sampled (albeit too short in duration sometimes) but are quite musical none the less and really work well in a mix. I am reminded of when the Roland D50 came out years back. The building blocks of sounds were simple but the overall creations that came from the instrument were monstrous. The CP5 can create thick complex sounds but sadly Yamaha chose not to place them as the user defaults. I am constantly reading of people who choose another instrument over the CP5 for this reason. I know the CP5 is not a true synth but I wish they would have had a bit more foresight to make the defaults a bit more polished.

MagicRat , I wish you well in your quest for better sounds from your instrument. Who knows, maybe Yamaha reads these groups and will provide a firmware update that upgrades the defaults. We can always hope!

#1683660 - 05/24/11 10:35 AM Re: CP5 Tweaking [Re: CMac]
octurn Offline

Loc: Belgium
You've nailed it there CMac.

The CP5 has the potential of being a "hybrid instrument".
The problem is it takes lots of time and starters knowledge to explore all possibilities. Since I don't have time (nor the knowledge) for the moment, my musical time is limited by just playing my instrument and not tweaking it.

Once I will have some time to approach my CP5 in a more "nerdy" way, I'd be happy to share my findings with all of you smile

(But when will that be... cry)

My (almost blank) youtube channel

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning a 1977 Yamaha G2-Koval EQ/Koval Avg, Ipad 2 Verituner
by Grandpianoman
09/21/14 06:41 PM
Darrell Fandrich is Well
by chernobieff
09/21/14 06:04 PM
Two treble clefs
by Amwriter
09/21/14 04:27 PM
Arpeggios! How and how much do you practice them?
by malkin
09/21/14 04:17 PM
Canon in D in 2+ parts/voices
by kobethuy
09/21/14 02:50 PM
Who's Online
105 registered (accordeur, 36251, Al LaPorte, Amwriter, 35 invisible), 1372 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76277 Members
42 Forums
157674 Topics
2315974 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission