Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1684881 - 05/26/11 10:00 AM Nord Piano Versatility and a need for amplification
rickshapiro Offline

I've been playing with a jazz quintet for a few months now and although it took me a while to get the feel for tweaking my Nord Piano to get the optimal sound while using the rehearsal studio's and band's sounds system, I finally got a great sound, nothing but complements. I was even able to get a great sound using one of those Roland keyboard amps.

I auditioned (and got hired) for a local "party band". This is the first time I've used the NP88 in this situation and I was absolutely blown away with the sounds for this type of situation. The band was doing everything from the Beatles to Cee LO Green. Hard Rock, POP, Reggae, R&B, just sounded and felt great. The band kept asking me about the NP88, they really liked it. I also stacked my Motif ES7 for Organ, PADS, Strings, etc and both worked well together.

I just got hired yesterday and they have asked me to play a gig this Monday. For some of the gigs they hire a sound-crew but on others I believe they have their own PA. At this point I lack any of my own amplification equipment and need something fast. My criteria is as follows:

*Light and small (I'm already moving tons of stuff)
*Can be leveraged as an onstage monitoring solutions
*Can be used as primary amplification
*Can possibly be used for guitar (using a modeler with speaker emulation in front, I play guitar as well)
*Loud enough for a club of perhaps 300 people
*will not break the bank (I'm trying to make some money playing)

I was looking at the Mackie Thumpers, they seem to fit the bill.I was also thinking about the QSC K10 or K12s but they are three times as expensive as the Mackies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Ensoniq KS32, Brodmann 187 Grand, JV2080, GR20, JV90, MKS-20, Sonar S1, Reaper, ACID, Record/Reason, Samplitude, VOX Tonelab, Tech21 Power Engine, NI, Kore, True Piano, Sampletank, Komplete, Bluesky Studio Monitors Yamaha 01X, Line 6 HD500, tons of guitars.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1684886 - 05/26/11 10:19 AM Re: Nord Piano Versatility and a need for amplification [Re: rickshapiro]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rick, I'm somewhat in a similar boat. I've been spoiled in that most gigs I do either have a grand piano and/or their own PA, so I haven't really invested in a solid sounding PA yet. I'll check out some lower priced, but solid sounding options. If I find something, I'll hit you up with a PM.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1685003 - 05/26/11 02:15 PM Re: Nord Piano Versatility and a need for amplification [Re: PianoZac]
Auver Offline

Loc: Norway
Have you considered the Yamaha Stagepas 500? Nice to hear you're getting compliments for your NP! smile

Yamaha Clavinova CLP-811
Nord Piano 88

#1685027 - 05/26/11 03:15 PM Re: Nord Piano Versatility and a need for amplification [Re: Auver]
rickshapiro Offline

Originally Posted By: Auver
Have you considered the Yamaha Stagepas 500? Nice to hear you're getting compliments for your NP! smile

That looks like an interesting option. Do you have experience with them and if so what?

Rick

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Ensoniq KS32, Brodmann 187 Grand, JV2080, GR20, JV90, MKS-20, Sonar S1, Reaper, ACID, Record/Reason, Samplitude, VOX Tonelab, Tech21 Power Engine, NI, Kore, True Piano, Sampletank, Komplete, Bluesky Studio Monitors Yamaha 01X, Line 6 HD500, tons of guitars.

#1685067 - 05/26/11 04:11 PM Re: Nord Piano Versatility and a need for amplification [Re: rickshapiro]
Coker Offline

Loc: Connecticut,USA
I use a StagePAS 500 with my FP-4, replacing a pair of Roland KC150s. They do well with voice, but they can get a little boomy for the piano when turned up. There are probably better choices for the money now.

#1687695 - 05/31/11 11:18 AM Re: Nord Piano Versatility and a need for amplification [Re: Coker]
rickshapiro Offline

I ended up purchasing two JBL PRX612M speakers. I used them live last night for stage monitoring and they worked great. I thought the NP88 sounded great through my studio monitors but the JBLs, at volume, sounded even better. Good comments were also received from the sound crew.

#1688231 - 06/01/11 01:44 AM Re: Nord Piano Versatility and a need for amplification [Re: rickshapiro]
James Pun Offline

We use JBL PRX615M for the stage and Roland KC550 for monitoring. Both worked fine for the NP88.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
10/21/14 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
10/21/14 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Who's Online
71 registered (anotherscott, Allard, angga888, ando, alfredo capurso, 16 invisible), 1045 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325937 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission