2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 39 of 75 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 74 75
Hey gang,

Here’s my take on Clemente’s Prelude in D Minor.

http://www.box.net/shared/9jcp9dojrk

I’m now onto “The Star-Spangled Banner” (a different sort of challenge) and Bach’s “Prelude in C Major” (because I had so much fun with “Prelude in Dm” that I couldn’t give up the theme).

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Undone
Waltz – I think you did a great job with “The Grand Piano Band”. Is it different than the way I played it? Sure, but just in the emphasis placed on some of the tempo and/or dynamic changes. Which I think is a great thing! The one concern I had about some of your earlier recordings was that you had the notes down pat, but seemed to play some of the pieces straight through without a whole lot of feeling. Now, based on a number of your recent recordings, I see that your working on brining that aspect of play into much greater focus and I applaud your efforts.

Once again I write as though I knew what I was talking about, yet don’t wish to leave anyone with that impression. I just know what sounds good to my ear (and this is literally true as I am stone deaf in the other). I’m simply amazed at how quickly you’ve been able move through the selections in Alfred’s and equally amazed at how, whenever I think there may be an area in your advancement that could use a little more attention, you’re right on top of it without my anyone ever having stated such.

Keep up the good work.

Undone

Thank you Undone. Your opinion and thoughts certainly mean a lot to me, being both encouraging and helpful to my playing and learning. I know you are not a piano instructor, but what you have to say is very valuable to me regardless. I am now working on Very Special Day. I held off on listening to your recording earlier, to keep the sound of the piece a surprise, but I will now give it a listen. I think it's a very pretty song, even if it is by Palmer laugh

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
In honor of our newest Book 3 cohort Nancy and our soon to be newest cohort Waltz, I humbly submit my “its time to move on already” recording of A Very Special Day:

http://www.box.net/shared/ku9epotq7f

Undone

My goodness that was played with feeling! There was certainly the feeling of climax along with intervals of calm. The RH/LH balance was also done beautifully. I have some work to do! Great job (even if I'm late to say it).

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My teacher had me learn Ecossaise in G by Beethoven this past week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFHolusnEPY

For some reason, this edition did not have repeats.

I am too embarrassed to post this in the piano bar, so I thought I'd post it here laugh

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Very nicely done Waltz thumb

So does that mean you skipped the "Ragtime" one?

SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Waltz and Undone - nice job on your pieces - it was a pleasure listening!

Regards, JF

P.S. no skipping "A Classy Rag" - it's a milestone and litmus test wink

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you Ttigg and JF !!

I had my piano lesson today. I played the piece for my teacher and she stopped me before I had finished the first bar. "Do you know what mistake you made?" I mumble something incoherent, not knowing, and she pointed out that I played F natural instead of F#. I think it sounds all right either way, but the piece certainly is in G Major and I am ashamed of myself for making such an oversight. On second thought, I think I will rerecord the corrected version and post it here; hopefully tomorrow

But don't worry you guys, I have not skipped the Classy Rag. I am still hard at work on Special Day.

However, my teacher assigned me two somewhat difficult classical pieces for me to work on this week. One is a Bach Musette and the other is Clementi's Sonatina Op.36 No.1 first movement.

Last edited by Waltz; 09/01/09 10:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Waltz
My teacher had me learn Ecossaise in G by Beethoven this past week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFHolusnEPY

For some reason, this edition did not have repeats.

I am too embarrassed to post this in the piano bar, so I thought I'd post it here laugh

Here is the corrected rerecording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2aT8OZxY6U

I would have just edited the above post but pianoworld doesn't allow you to do that for some reason. I also felt it was a bad idea to leave an incorrect playing of it for others to view...

[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Undone - John Frank sent folks over here from the September piano bar to your version of A Classy Rag. I love it! You have a great ragtime feel!

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Thanks jotur, and thanks all for your comments on my recent recordings.

Undone

[Linked Image]
Waltz - nice job on Beethoven's Ecossaise in G! I could really go for a couple of shorter selections myself right about now (not that there aren't plenty of challenges in shorter pieces - it's just that fortitude isn't usually one of them) smile

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Waltz - nice job on Beethoven's Ecossaise in G! I could really go for a couple of shorter selections myself right about now (not that there aren't plenty of challenges in shorter pieces - it's just that fortitude isn't usually one of them) smile

Undone

Thanks Undone smile . Are you working on the Bach Prelude?

My teacher told me that there was a Bach Prelude she wanted me to learn by Christmas. Ironically it was actually the same one in the Challenge Section of A3. Just glancing at the score it didn't look too over the top in difficulty. Of course looks can deceive. What do you think? How is it going?

[Linked Image]
Waltz - Yes, the Bach Prelude I'm working on is the one in the "Challenge Section" of A3. At the bottom of Clemente’s Prelude it suggests trying the Bach prelude after finishing Clemente's (they both follow the same pattern).

I'd say that this one is similar in difficulty to Canon in D - easy to get started with tuff to complete with all of the feeling it deserves.

Undone

[Linked Image]
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Waltz - Yes, the Bach Prelude I'm working on is the one in the "Challenge Section" of A3. At the bottom of Clemente’s Prelude it suggests trying the Bach prelude after finishing Clemente's (they both follow the same pattern).

I'd say that this one is similar in difficulty to Canon in D - easy to get started with tuff to complete with all of the feeling it deserves.

Undone

Its a great piece that gets better and better the more you play it.

and Prelude in D minor which preps you for the Bach piece is my favorite piece from A3...

enjoy!

Last edited by Mark...; 09/04/09 03:37 PM.
Hi all,
Thanks for the advice and well wishes, JF! I have taken a break due to preparing for students on Tuesday and I sat back at the piano and felt comfortable with the piece! I am doing some other sight reading while I have the opportunity. My instructor had knee surgery so I'm "on my own" for a few weeks.

Take care!

Karen

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I will post this in the A3 and A2 threads... I need some advice/wisdom on how to execute this RH + LH "hand jump" that occurs over and over in Musette in D:

http://www.music-scores.com/graphics/ba_anma_22.gif

There is the sheet music. Basically it's this:

The LH jumps up the keyboard at the same time the RH jumps down. This isn't so hard, the hands are converging.

Next the RH and LH must return to where they were, which means they jump in opposite directions at the same time. This is done with absolutely no break or anything, it must be done instantly to keep the rhythm. But no matter how much I practice I have very low accuracy and around one half of the time I will miss either the LH or the RH's note. The only other thing I can do is break the rhythm and move my hands slowly, but more accurately, to the correct notes.

It's frustrating because I can basically play the entire piece, but no matter how much I practice this "contrary + simultaneous" hand jumping, I just remain horribly inaccurate.

Any advice is appreciated.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
NM

Last edited by Waltz; 09/07/09 04:07 PM.

[Linked Image]
I will post this in the A3 and A2 threads... I need some advice/wisdom on how to execute this RH + LH "hand jump" that occurs over and over in Musette in D:

The LH jumps up the keyboard at the same time the RH jumps down. This isn't so hard, the hands are converging.

Next the RH and LH must return to where they were, which means they jump in opposite directions at the same time. This is done with absolutely no break or anything, it must be done instantly to keep the rhythm. But no matter how much I practice I have very low accuracy and around one half of the time I will miss either the LH or the RH's note. The only other thing I can do is break the rhythm and move my hands slowly, but more accurately, to the correct notes.

It's frustrating because I can basically play the entire piece, but no matter how much I practice this "contrary + simultaneous" hand jumping, I just remain horribly inaccurate.

Waltz – I wish I could tell you of some “trick” to help with this situation, but I can’t (I sure would like to know if someone else has something). I had the same sort of trouble when working on the jumps in “A Bag of Rags” and the only way I got them under some semblance of control was with a whole lot of slow practice (many months in this case).

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Waltz – I wish I could tell you of some “trick” to help with this situation, but I can’t (I sure would like to know if someone else has something). I had the same sort of trouble when working on the jumps in “A Bag of Rags” and the only way I got them under some semblance of control was with a whole lot of slow practice (many months in this case).

Undone

I think you're right. It just takes both repetition and concentration. I'm making some slow improvement. Thanks for your response Undone smile

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]
Page 39 of 75 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission