2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Coming back to the topic, I don't think we have to agree on whether there is "one wave," or not. But there isn't a lot of room for discussion when the entire concept of coincident partials is dismissed for "make 'em sound good." I don't think that helps me figure out under what circumstances I might want to make my bass octaves wider or narrower, and why or how it matters.

I have a customer who told me she didn't like the way I tuned the bass on her small console. They were my default, 6:3 octaves tuned m3/M6. We traded a couple of emails after that, and I promised we could work on it if she had me back again. She did, so I demonstrated how they sounded as I progressed from 8:4 width up through 4:2. She preferred the narrower ones, and when I was finished was happier with the way the piano sounded, even though I didn't particularly like the result.

Unfortunately, I got the feeling she took my commentary as pointing out that her ears were unusual. I tried to point out she was merely more discerning than many of my other customers, and having a particular taste was not a bad thing. I'll see if she responds to my next reminder shocked

Jim Moy, RPT
Moy Piano Service, LLC
Fort Collins and Loveland, Colorado
http://www.moypiano.com
S
S
Jim, that is precisely the reason you need to throw out mathematical equations and start using your ear.
NO tuning is ever perfect. (period)
NOR does it last for ... ever,, or whatever the timeframe.

Personal opinion: minimal movement on pins stabilizes in the end. That means you let pitch drop a bit in winter,.. but don't go too sharp in summer. SM

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Oh! That's why I love this Forum. One can find here people really passionate about pianos! 3hearts yippie

I quite agree on the perfection and permanence points. And I also prefer the experience of tuning aurally, even if I don't do it all the time, for various reasons. And, SM Boone, I thought your post was quite helpful in describing what you do.

When tuners discuss coincident partials, I don't think there is much going on with respect to "mathematical equations," as you imply. Talking about and using partial ratios does not equal ETD use.

Jim Moy, RPT
Moy Piano Service, LLC
Fort Collins and Loveland, Colorado
http://www.moypiano.com

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SM Boone
I'm not sure where this post is at this point... but as an aural tuner I can offer that I tune bass as pure as possible and find that suits the ear best. There is nothing more pleasant than a low note that settles and lands where your ear expects it to be ...SM

Very well-stated. In the final analysis this is what really matters to the person who cuts our check.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yep, tune like Captain Jack Sparrow would. Use your Buccaneers! laugh laugh laugh

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission