Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#165557 - 09/27/06 08:45 PM Metronome -- How old??
jwcosta Offline

Loc: Norfolk, Massachusetts, USA
Hi everyone. I have a very old Metronome de Maelzel. I don't even know how to tell how old it is....I don't see any serial numbers anywhere. Can anyone help me figure out how to determine the age?

It belonged to my wife's great grandmother.

It's still in fine working order, except for one thing.....we lost the sliding weight. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks. Joe

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#165558 - 09/27/06 09:06 PM Re: Metronome -- How old??
Selah Offline

Loc: OC, CA
I would imagine you can get one from Wittner but may not be calibrated. Neat items though so it would be worth getting.

#165559 - 09/28/06 08:38 AM Re: Metronome -- How old??
jwcosta Offline

Thanks Selah. I actually emailed Wittner and they are indeed going to send me a new sliding weight at no charge, along with instructions on how to calibrate it. Thank you for the recommendation.

Does anyone know how I can tell the age of this metronome?

#165560 - 09/28/06 01:42 PM Re: Metronome -- How old??
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I have a Maelzel metronome, too, but mine does have a serial number stamped on the underside : 932949. I have no idea how old it is, either, but I have had it since I was a child, and that means it probably predates the invention of electricity! It is, I believe, the "genuine" article. On the cover is a lozenge-shaped brass plaque : in the centre it reads : "Métronome Maëlzel; around the edge of the plaque it reads : Hollande, Angleterre, Amérique, Belgique; at the top of the plaque : France, and at the bottom : Paris.

On the inside of the cover is a paper label with directions on its use. Also on the underside is stamped "Made in (name of country not legible, but probably France).

Mine is a decorative item near the piano, as I use a digital metronome for practice purposes. I checked the Maelzel against the digital and, amazingly, it seems to be almost spot on, even after all these years and several cross country trips and periods of storage in questionable locations!

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#165561 - 09/28/06 05:08 PM Re: Metronome -- How old??
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
my made in America Maelzel

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#165562 - 09/28/06 05:23 PM Re: Metronome -- How old??
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
I've got a really pretty old (1890's?) Maezel metronome with a mahogany case, works fine except for one thing. The weight keeps slipping down making the tempo faster and faster. I kept gumming it up with candle wax hoping to stabilize it but finally gave up and bought a new Wittner. The antique one is now a pet. I also recently got the the old Seth Thomas from my childhood, circa 1960's from my parents' house which I was delighted to see had a birdseye maple case which I didn't remember. It also works well.

#165563 - 10/01/06 05:59 PM Re: Metronome -- How old??
jwcosta Offline

Does anyone know how to determine the age? Also, is the metronome supposed to have a solid bottom? If so, mine is missing. I can't seem to find a serial number anywhere.

#165564 - 10/01/06 06:10 PM Re: Metronome -- How old??
BruceD Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by apple*:
my made in America Maelzel
[/b]
Interesting! Yours is a Maelzel Metronome, but made by Seth Thomas in Connecticut.

Regards,

#165565 - 10/01/06 06:32 PM Re: Metronome -- How old??
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
I think we need a Pierce Metronome Atlas.

Frycek, your metromone is getting back at you for your signature.

\:D

#165566 - 10/01/06 09:01 PM Re: Metronome -- How old??
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
A SHORT HISTORY OF METRONOMES

The pages of history recording attempts at invention and construction of metronomes, like those for automatic page-turners, are filled with failure and impractical ideas but they do indicate a few successes. Why such a small field should attract so many inventors is a mystery.

Early Attempts

In 1581, Galileo Galilei discovered the isochronism of pendulums, that is, he discovered that pendulums (of any given length) vibrated in the same time, whether the amplitude was large or small.

About a century passed before pendulums were successfully applied to clocks by Christian Huyghens (circa 1659) and George Graham (circa 1715). The problem solved by them was to develop an escapement, the mechanism for delivering impulses to the pendulum, which will keep it in motion and yet not interfere with its motion. This invention was the key to success for it was promptly used by those laboring in the metronome field.

In 1696, Etieune Loulie made the first recorded attempt to apply the pendulum to a metronome. His "machine" was merely an adjustable pendulum with calibrations but without an escapement to keep it in motion. He was followed by a line of inventors, including Sauveur, 1711; Enbrayg, 1732; Gabary, 1771; Harrison, 1775; Davaux, 1784; Pelletier, Weiske, 1790; Weber, 1813; Stockel, Zmeskall, Crotch, Smart, 1821. Most of these attempts were unsuccessful owing to the great length of pendulum required to beat some of the low tempos used in music (say 40 to 60 per minute).

In 1812, Dietrik Nikolaus Winkel (b.1780 Amsterdam d. 1826) found that a double weighted pendulum (a weight on each side of the pivot) would beat low tempos, even when made of short length. Johann Nepenuk Maelzel, through some questionable practice, appropriated Winkel's idea and in 1816 started manufacturing "Maelzel's" Metronome. It has been in highly successful use to this day. It is manufactured by Swiss, German, French and American manufacturers who vie with each other for the limited business available.

More Recent Attempts

In 1894, Hanson produced a metronome consisting of a baton which could be adjusted to beat 2/4, 3/4, 4/4 or 6/8 time by compound motions similar to those of a conductor.

In 1909, White and Hunter produced a pocket metronome having a hand which turned complete revolutions, one revolution to a beat. Its speed was adjustable between 40 and 208 revolutions per minute.

In 1930, a miniature rocking chair, having a vertical baton attached, which is set in motion by hand on any level surface, was placed on the market. A weight on the wand adjusted the tempo. The "beat" was silent.

With the advent of electricity, many types of electrically driven metronomes were developed, some having lights which flashed to mark the beats and also the beginning of the measure, like Morrison, 1936, some merely having a waving wand, like A. M. English, 1937. Some of them were obviously devised by mechanics having little or no knowledge of music or of the manner in which musicians use metronomes.

Another group of inventions covered metronomes designed to beat the rhythm of a few bars of music exactly as written, requiring the setting of some stops as in Fascinato, 1933, the manipulation of some indicators as in Doerfer, 1899, or the punching of some paper dials as in Miessner, 1934.

About 1900, a Swiss pocket watch metronome was produced, operating exactly like a balance-wheel watch with the modification that it had a geared balance-wheel which could make several revolutions and an adjustable "hair-spring" permitting the 40 to 208 scale adjustment.

As far as is known, the only survivors of all these attempts to produce an accurate, practical and dependable metronome that is acceptable to critical musicians, are the Maelzel types and a few pocket watch types, like the Cadenzia.

Modern Metronomes

With the advent of controlled alternating current (A.C.), it had become possible to have clocks, operated by such electricity supply, that do not vary one second in a month or more. This also made possible the invention of the Franz electric metronome (1938). In this metronome a synchronous motor, like those used in electric clocks, drives a tempo beating hammer through a mechanical reduction which is adjustable from 40 to 208. These electro-mechanical units were produced through June, 1994.

In 1977 the Franz pendulum metronome was introduced embodying the first significant improvements in the "Maelzel" type of mechanism. The working parts were suspended in the case in such a way as to allow them to level themselves when the case was placed on a slanted surface thus precluding "limp." A mechanism was provided to prevent accidental jamming of the escapement and an adjustment to compensate any inherent limp due to manufacturing variations. These devices were produced through 1990.

From 1950 to the present time numerous versions of the relaxation oscillator type of electronic circuit have been introduced adapted to the standard tempo range of the metronome.

Early models were the "Metronoma" and "Stamford' electronic metronomes. Later on Seth Thomas, Sabine and Metone in this country. Cadenzia in Switzerland, Metrotone in England and Wittner in Germany introduced metronomes operating on this general principle. The accuracy of these all suffer from the difficulty of compensating the non linearity of this type of circuit over the whole timing range. Obtaining good setting accuracy is also quite hard to achieve.

In the late 1970's digital electronic techniques had developed to the point where it became economically feasible to apply them to the design of a metronome The accuracy has been enhanced by a factor of 10 or more over the best available prior to the use of this type of design. The capacity and low cost of microprocessors has made it possible to add other functions besides beating the standard tempos. Tuning pitches, accented beats and other functions are possible at reasonable cost. Such instruments have been introduced by Wittner in Germany, Seiko in Japan and Franz in the USA, among others.

Franz Manufacturing Company, Inc.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#165567 - 10/02/06 08:44 AM Re: Metronome -- How old??
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Might I suggest watching EBAY for their metronomes and you can get an idea of where it was made and year? Search Maelzel Metronome. I just checked and there are a few there right now from several manufacturers, while still calling it a Maelzel. Watch for things like style, key, weight, finish. As well there is a way to check completed items under ADVANCED SEARCH.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-METRONOME-de...1QQcmdZViewItem

Rule of thumb in the antiques business. Each generation is less than 20 years.

You are 20. Mom is 38-40. Grandma is 56-60, Greatgrandma is 74-80

edit:
So an item can be 54-60 years old you got it. Of course it could also be older!

LL

#165568 - 10/02/06 11:00 AM Re: Metronome -- How old??
BruceD Offline

BruceD's Maelzel Metronome : a little battered, but "still ticking"!

and its serial number :

Regards,

#165569 - 10/02/06 04:47 PM Re: Metronome -- How old??
jwcosta Offline

Thanks Bruce. That pic is helpful. Mine does not have a bottom piece or any feet at all. It's completely open at the bottom. I'm not sure if they were made without bottoms at one time, or if mine is just missing the bottom.

#165570 - 10/02/06 04:50 PM Re: Metronome -- How old??
BruceD Offline

I guess yours has "bottomed out" \:D (groan!)

#1685797 - 05/27/11 11:51 PM Re: Metronome -- How old?? [Re: BruceD]
linner47 Offline

Loc: Kentucky, USA
winkHi, I'm new here, and was looking for information on my Seth Thomas Metronome. It's a soft looking light maple and the inside has a darker wood. The base on mine is a brown metal bearing a tag that says E873-006; #10; METRONOME. The only thing I don't know about it is how old it is. Anyone got any idea on that ? It's in perfect condition and was found by my husband in an estate sale shop. I use it a lot to keep time when I'm recording my songs. Nice to meet you all...and glad mine hasn't "bottomed out" !!! laugh

linner 47 in Kentucky !!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, A Guy, 32 invisible), 1253 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153596 Topics
2251148 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
47 minutes 57 seconds ago
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
CA glue applications
by accordeur
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Yesterday at 07:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission