Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
125 registered (angga888, AndreiN, Anita Potter, accordeur, amv256, 35 invisible), 1361 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1673331 - 05/08/11 01:23 AM Yamaha MO8 pedal programming question
Brandon Sturiale Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Hey there!

I have a question that's probably pretty simple and I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I just bought a Yamaha MO8, along with a standard sustain pedal that looks like the pedal on a piano. I already owned a square pedal that I want to use as well.

What I would like to be able to do is use the sustain pedal exactly for that, sustaining notes, and the square pedal for advancing patches (i.e. if I'm playing for a show and I pre-program the patches in the order I need them, I want to be able to click the pedal on a certain beat without using my hands to go to the next set of sounds).

But I can't seem to get the MO8 to recognize this. I plugged the sustain pedal into the Switch jack like it says to in the instructions, but plugging the square pedal into the Controller jack doesn't seem to do anything. I found where I can program what the Switch pedal can do, including advancing patches, but the problem is then the sustain pedal doesn't sustain anymore.

So is there a way to do both at the same time? Thanks for any help anybody can provide!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1675628 - 05/11/11 01:22 PM Re: Yamaha MO8 pedal programming question [Re: Brandon Sturiale]
Brandon Sturiale Offline

Nobody knows? Okay, I'll bump this once to see if that helps, but if nobody responds I'll let it die a slow death... :-)

#1676144 - 05/12/11 09:09 AM Re: Yamaha MO8 pedal programming question [Re: Brandon Sturiale]
athomik Offline

Loc: England
The Foot Switch socket is for an on/off type pedal (simple switch as in an FC4/5). The foot controller is for a continuous type of control using a rotary pot(entiometer)as in the FC7. The foot control input cannot be used with a simple on/off type of pedal (look for 'controllers' in the owner's manual for parameters you can assign to the foot controller). You can only control sustain or patch changes from the Foot Switch input, so you have to choose between sustain or patch change, you will not be able to do both. If you have Yamaha pedals, you appear to have an FC4 and an FC5 (the square one), both of which can only be used on the Foot Switch connector, not the Foot Control one.

#1676526 - 05/12/11 07:53 PM Re: Yamaha MO8 pedal programming question [Re: athomik]
Brandon Sturiale Offline

Thanks for responding! Obviously I'm bummed to read what you're saying... does it strike anybody else as odd that they won't let you choose between sustaining and changing patches? I mean, I work in theatre, and that's all we DO... we program each show in the order we need the sounds, and then we use a pedal to advance through them during the show. It seems silly to not be able to sustain at the same time.

Anybody know of any workarounds, or did I make a poor choice in purchasing this particular keyboard?

#1676721 - 05/13/11 02:34 AM Re: Yamaha MO8 pedal programming question [Re: Brandon Sturiale]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
How many pedal inputs does the MO8 have? I would find it odd to have to choose as well, especially on a reasonably powerful synthesizer. I know that my Kurzweil has four sustain pedal (switch) jacks, a CC (continuous control -- potentiometer) jack and a breath controller jack. Right now I am using sustain and CC as expression or modulation (as the mood strikes me -- I do theatre too! Currently working on covering strings for Once On This Island). I used to have a Yamaha S90, but I fail to remember the amount of pedal inputs. Perhaps the fine members of sninety.com can shed some light on this. I'm almost sure there's a way, as this is a very popular use for synths, and when do you not need a sustain pedal?

#1676940 - 05/13/11 12:49 PM Re: Yamaha MO8 pedal programming question [Re: LesCharles73]
Brandon Sturiale Offline

Awesome, that's a great show! Yeah, a lot of theatres use Kurzweil 2600s, but I went with the Yamaha because it's lighter and a little easier to use. I still have hope there's some way to make it work... I just can't imagine they would make you choose between two basic functions like that.

Unfortunately, the MO8 only has two pedal inputs, though. One is labeled "Foot Switch" and one is labeled "Foot Controller". So I don't know... maybe they ARE making me choose. Seems like there has to be some way around it, though...

#1686148 - 05/28/11 04:33 PM Re: Yamaha MO8 pedal programming question [Re: Brandon Sturiale]
Black_and_White Offline

Loc: New Haven, CT
I have encountered this problem with my MO8. It's unfortunate that one can't connect a sustain pedal and a program change pedal at the same time. The reality is, Kurzweils are better for musical theater-type playing. I have no idea how to do this, but I know that MIDI can transmit program change information, so maybe using the MIDI ports could help.

Moderator:  Piano World 
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha C2 from 2003
by RaindropPrelude
52 minutes 15 seconds ago
"Tone" and "balance"
by qazsedcft
Today at 05:38 PM
Which Beethoven sonata has this rhythm?
by JoelW
Today at 02:56 PM
Shipping a concert grand by air cargo...How do they do that?
by Piano Practice
Today at 02:51 PM
A pianist's 'touch' affects sustained tone - NOT!
by prout
Today at 01:40 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,439 Registered Members
44 Forums
164,384 Topics
2,411,398 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission