Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1687555 - 05/31/11 04:09 AM Roland RD-700NX vs Kawai MP10, my 2 cents
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Boogie Down
I'm using Pianoteq, so I'm in no rush to get either. But I did play them side-by-side a couple weeks ago. My impressions...

They both sound fantastic. I doubt I could pick a winner based on sound. I think the Kawai had a little better (longer) sustain though.

They both feel great. On the Roland, it really feels like you're throwing a hammer, whereas the Kawai feels more like a simple lever (albeit exceptionally smooth). The escapement gimmick in the Roland is more convincing. It's more pronounced the lighter you play. Kawai's escapement gimmick is hardly noticeable even with the lightest touch. Some might prefer it that way, but I'm just saying the Roland has more realistic escapement feel. The Kawai has a more realistic bottoming of the key. It's soft and smooth like on an acoustic grand. Not that Roland's key bottom is hard, just not quite as sweet as Kawai's.

Neither had a realistic gradation of the action. The bass notes were relatively light, and the high notes were relatively heavy. There was definitely gradation, just not enough. Again, a lot of people prefer a more even action, but it's not an accurate representation of an acoustic grand action. Aside from gradation, the Kawai's action is smoother and more consistent from key-to-key.

Repeats are easier/more realistic on the Roland, and not because it's lighter, but because the keys don't have to travel as far as they do on the Kawai in order to repeat. I was pleasantly surprised that Roland finally fixed the "silent replay" issue, and very disappointed that Kawai STILL hasn't remedied it.

I felt the Roland had realistic late pedaling (playing a chord staccato and pressing the pedal just afterwards to catch some sustain). On other digitals I've played, there's a lot of forgiveness. On the Roland, the interval between letting off the key and hitting the sustain pedal is pretty narrow, as it is on an acoustic. Unfortunately, I didn't try this on the Kawai to compare.

But the Roland is missing a sheet music stand. smirk

That's all I have to say about that.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1687584 - 05/31/11 06:26 AM Re: Roland RD-700NX vs Kawai MP10, my 2 cents [Re: jscomposer]
Providence Offline

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for posting your views on this as I have been looking at getting one of these two instruments. Just out of curiousity, have you changed your tune at all regarding the Numa Nero midi controller? I still hear mixed opinions about this controller...

N

#1687676 - 05/31/11 10:21 AM Re: Roland RD-700NX vs Kawai MP10, my 2 cents [Re: jscomposer]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jscomposer
I'm using Pianoteq, so I'm in no rush to get either. But I did play them side-by-side a couple weeks ago. My impressions...

They both sound fantastic. I doubt I could pick a winner based on sound. I think the Kawai had a little better (longer) sustain though.

They both feel great. On the Roland, it really feels like you're throwing a hammer, whereas the Kawai feels more like a simple lever (albeit exceptionally smooth). The escapement gimmick in the Roland is more convincing. It's more pronounced the lighter you play. Kawai's escapement gimmick is hardly noticeable even with the lightest touch. Some might prefer it that way, but I'm just saying the Roland has more realistic escapement feel. The Kawai has a more realistic bottoming of the key. It's soft and smooth like on an acoustic grand. Not that Roland's key bottom is hard, just not quite as sweet as Kawai's.

Neither had a realistic gradation of the action. The bass notes were relatively light, and the high notes were relatively heavy. There was definitely gradation, just not enough. Again, a lot of people prefer a more even action, but it's not an accurate representation of an acoustic grand action. Aside from gradation, the Kawai's action is smoother and more consistent from key-to-key.

Repeats are easier/more realistic on the Roland, and not because it's lighter, but because the keys don't have to travel as far as they do on the Kawai in order to repeat. I was pleasantly surprised that Roland finally fixed the

I owned the RD-700NX briefly, and owned the RD-700GXF, which played and sounded nearly identical to the RD-700NX (which is why I didn't keep the NX for very long), and I've just played the MP10 for a while, so I can chime in here.

Both actions, the PHA III and RM3 Wooden are probably the best overall keyboard actions as far as duplicating a real acoustic, however, the RM3 to me is really in another class. It's wooden hammers are as long as Kawai's own grand pianos. When I played the MP10 this past Saturday, I played it back and forth with the Kawai RX-7 semi-concert grand, and the MP10 was very close in feel, even a little heavier. I felt the grading was very well done, but even on the real grands, the difference isn't that much from top to bottom.

Sound wise, I think the RD-700NX has the edge. The MP10 sounds really wonderful, but I found it to not have as nice of a decay as the Rolands, but the dynamic range seemed to be as good, if not even better than the Rolands. Perhaps that's attributable to the RM3 action.

I'll have an MP10 soon as it (and the CA63/CA93) is hands down the closest thing to a grand piano in touch that I've played in a DP. That's the thing with these things, touch and tone is so subjective.

"Life is a lot like jazz...it's best when you improvise."

#1687770 - 05/31/11 12:57 PM Re: Roland RD-700NX vs Kawai MP10, my 2 cents [Re: Providence]
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Boogie Down
Originally Posted By: Providence
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for posting your views on this as I have been looking at getting one of these two instruments. Just out of curiousity, have you changed your tune at all regarding the Numa Nero midi controller? I still hear mixed opinions about this controller...

N

If it still has mixed reviews, then no. Someone on Pianoteq's forum has one and absolutely loves it, despite still running into flaws and finding workarounds. Not a terribly good endorsement IMHO.

Try to find one in a store. If you like it, and it works to your satisfaction, then by all means. I'd still prefer an MP10 or RD-700X though, for the internal sounds, 3 pedal jacks, and service support.

#1957529 - 09/11/12 04:53 PM Re: Roland RD-700NX vs Kawai MP10, my 2 cents [Re: jscomposer]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Thank you for the video, however I don't think it was necessary to post the same clip in three separate threads.

Also, with the greatest respect, the sound in this video is...horrible.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1957634 - 09/11/12 09:02 PM Re: Roland RD-700NX vs Kawai MP10, my 2 cents [Re: jscomposer]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yeah, you should make a video where you pipe the sound directly into an interface, instead of playing through speakers and then recording through a mic. There's no reason for any pure digital piano clip to sound bad on youtube.

That was a near criminal cross-posting faux pas, as well.

Looks like you really enjoy your piano, though. Always nice to see.

#1959579 - 09/16/12 10:40 AM Re: Roland RD-700NX vs Kawai MP10, my 2 cents [Re: PianoZac]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Zac Forbes
[quote=jscomposer].

I'll have an MP10 soon as it (and the CA63/CA93) is hands down the closest thing to a grand piano in touch that I've played in a DP. That's the thing with these things, touch and tone is so subjective.

Zac, what do you think of the MP10 action compared to the AvantGrands? I wasn't sure if you intended to include them in the quoted assessment.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1959811 - 09/16/12 06:23 PM Re: Roland RD-700NX vs Kawai MP10, my 2 cents [Re: jscomposer]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

ClsscLib, look at the date of Zachary's post. I don't think he went the MP10 route since then...

#1959884 - 09/16/12 08:38 PM Re: Roland RD-700NX vs Kawai MP10, my 2 cents [Re: maurus]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: maurus
ClsscLib, look at the date of Zachary's post. I don't think he went the MP10 route since then...

Oops... I forget sometimes to check post dates.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (bennevis, alfredo capurso, ASLevelMusicTheory, beet31425, Atrys, accordeur, 13 invisible), 1107 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251535 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission