2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 16 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
My DC installation went off without much of a hitch and it took me roughly 2 hours.
The one thing that bothered me somewhat is that all the screws they provided were simple straight slot head screws.
What is this the dark ages?
Trying to screw these in is a real pain in the arse, especially with the limited light conditions under a grand.
The installation time could be cut significantly if Philips or Robertson (square) head screws were used.
I ended up only using the provided screws in a few places until I switched to my own, which made things go significantly faster.
I also used my own nylon screw-in cable anchors (which I use in my day job) instead of the metal ones provided to route the various cables.
I prefer not to use metal clamps on electrical wiring just to be safe.

One question that I will ask you experienced installers, of the various tank configurations available (Universal, Tall, Short, Grand) how often do you use the "grand" style vs the universal?
The kit I had came with the "universal" tank and I wasn't sure if it was common practice to use this in a grand. The instructions don't really say but they give the impression that the "grand" tank style is an older design.
Can anybody clear this up for me?
Thanks.

Last edited by Sparky McBiff; 06/01/11 01:04 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
For putting the screws in, I use a 5-in-1 screwdriver without a bit in it as a nut driver. Works great!

Whatever tank comes with the kit goes into the piano. Hadn't paid much attention to any differences. The back mount tanks are unique, though.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Oh yea,I forgot to mention that I had left my little box of nut drivers at work otherwise I would have used those and not bitched.
But because I didn't have them with me I was forced to used a damn flat screwdriver, and I hadn't actually had to screw in flat screws for years and I forgot how annoying it is.
But now that you mention it I probably could have used my Picquik screwdriver (without a bit) as a nut driver. Doesn't fit real well but it probably would have been good enough.
Thanks for the heads up on that.
Serves me right for not having all my tools with me.

Last edited by Sparky McBiff; 06/01/11 02:05 PM.
D
D
Its a 1/4 inch nutdriver. I wore out the craftsman stubby one I had, and I can no longer find a single stubby. Does anyone know where to get a good quality stubby 1/4" nutdriver?

EDIT Just found one on Amazon.

Last edited by Dan Casdorph; 06/01/11 07:37 PM.

Casdorph Piano Service
Morgantown, WV
www.casdorphpiano.com
All pianos are bald ones.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You had me laughing at your last post Sparky. Left it at work. That's what I use too, the 1/4" magnified bit. Works great and the little sucker doesn't fall out so quickly either.

I could be wrong but, didn't Dampp Chaser change things on grands now so that they are all the same tank? I know that we used to be able to order a certain tank for a certain model depending on what we wanted or how much space we had.

Sparky, that's pretty good for the first time! You beat my time. Took me over 3 hours reading the directions and all that crap....

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
You are correct, Jerry, it's all the universal tank, now. AND, every system now has the smart bar also.

As for installations...definitely a nut driver. I have a magnetic one that holds the screws in place. Super easy!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
The sad thing is Jerry is that I had my big tool case here (a large, expensive Pelican case on wheels) but I had forgotten my main internal plastic box with my most commonly used hand tools at the shop and that was the little case that had my nut drivers in it.
The thing is, when I packed that case I noticed that there seemed to be more space than usual in it but I figured that was because I was intentionally leaving out my RH45 crimper set. I totally missed that I left out my MOST IMPORTANT internal case and I left it on the shop bench at work.
Oh well, I ended up mostly using other screws anyways so I'm more just bitching at myself for forgetting something.

And yea, I get the impression that they USED to have a "grand" tank but they now use the Universal one.
But I just wanted to make sure that I hadn't mounted the wrong tank in there. I guess the fact that it is labelled "universal" should have been enough to convince me.

The strange thing is is that the humidity has been frightful around here for the last few weeks or so (70%-90%) and today finally we get a nice wind and it has dropped to about 30%.

Unfortunately I just had the piano tuned a few days ago and I guess I'll have to let the thing find an equilibrium over the next few weeks to see how it settles in.

But to have it finally installed has taken a big load off of my mind.

A big thanks to everyone who offered their assistance.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You sound like me Sparky. My day... "get in the car to leave, get back out again. Forgot my glasses. Get back in, get back out again, forgot my humidifier treatment fluid and pads, left them right where I would remember to grab them, right on top of the kitchen counter. Walked right past them and never saw them."

I have to look and double take on everything to make sure I have everything. Must be old age or, I'm getting senile. Naaa, can't be that, I've been that way my whole life! smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Actually Jerry, sorry to say, I think it's only you. wink

Well to be honest, it used to be me as well but I've since learned to do what I call an "idiot check" before I leave anywhere. I make sure that I have everything I need and I think about where I am going and what I am going to need once I get there.
I still forget stuff on occasion of course but I've gotten much better.
I think.
Today was an anomaly since I'm actually pretty good that way and rarely leave things out of my case.
I can tell by how it packs if there is anything missing because if everything isn't arranged just right I can't get the lid closed.
It was because I intentionally left a large case out of it that it threw me off.

But in other news, a colleague from the shop just dropped by with my kit a few minutes ago and I have everything back in order.
Not enough to take the Dampp-Chaser out in order to do it again but I'm ready for anything now.

Regarding working in dark places, like under a grand:

Buy a headlamp, either at a sporting goods store (used a lot by campers, hunters, and other outdoors lovers), or go to a place like Target where you can get a serviceable one for about $20 US.

Having a good source of light that goes where you are looking every time, and is "no hand" is a great help to a lot of projects around the house. Once you have one and use it a couple of times, you find yourself getting it out more and more.

Steve W
Omaha, NE
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Love it Sparky! "Idiot check!" Gotta remember that one!

Great advice from Steve too! Gonna have to try one of those.

I've been using a Dewalt head light sort of like this. I love it. battery lasts a very long time too.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
I use a Petzl:

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/tikka-zipka-series/tikkina

Plenty of illumination, and it never turns on by itself while being jostled around in the toolkit.

Zeno Wood, Piano Technician
Brooklyn College
Originally Posted by Zeno Wood
I use a Petzl:

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/tikka-zipka-series/tikkina

Plenty of illumination, and it never turns on by itself while being jostled around in the toolkit.

That's a good choice.

I have a Black Diamond Icon which I originally bought for camping but end up using it more for repair work than outside. I like it because it takes 4 AA batteries, instead of AAA, so they last longer and it's brighter. The downside is it has a separate battery compartment that is at the back of your head, so if you are lying on your back under a grand, your head rests on the battery box. Tolerable for short durations.

Main thing is to find one that has reasonably well-focused light and is aimable.

Steve W
Omaha, NE
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I buy really cheap headlamps from Meritline.com. This is the one I have been using lately.

I have been getting batteries from them since I have had lots of trouble from Duracells going bad prematurely.

Semipro Tech
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sparky,

I have one or two questions regarding the supply chain you used to get your D-C. Can I post them here, or would you prefer PM?

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark R.
Sparky,

I have one or two questions regarding the supply chain you used to get your D-C. Can I post them here, or would you prefer PM?

I've sent you a PM.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Sparky McBiff

The one thing that bothered me somewhat is that all the screws they provided were simple straight slot head screws.
What is this the dark ages?

That's probably because pianos are full of slotted-head screws--even many new ones, if I'm not mistaken. What's really bad is slotted heads screws that secure the damper wires to the damper arms on a grand.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A possible lighting suggestion (you may already know about these and chose not to use them, but...) these folding rechargeable LED lamps are pretty cool. Cheap, bright, small, lasts a long time on a charge, and there's car charger available.

I let my tech borrow ours, he ordered one from Amazon that evening.

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If you want to post a picture of your installation, we can check your placement of components and give you tips. You know that DIY installs void your warranty, so I want to help you and your piano as much as I can.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission