Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1658531 - 04/11/11 09:13 PM Re: New March 2011 Yamaha U1 price? [Re: dp69]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
My 2010 edition indicates $9998 as the SMP on a U1 P/E.

And, if the dealer has 30 U1 P/E in stock, it was for a group sale. Or, he drew them from Yammy's warehouse.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1658532 - 04/11/11 09:18 PM Re: New March 2011 Yamaha U1 price? [Re: Steve Cohen]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Mateo, CA

Even at $10,000 half price will be $5,000

I'm sorry for keep coming back but why you are not using the MSRP?

What is the purpose of having a MSRP if it has no use?

Edited by Kurtmen (04/11/11 09:20 PM)
Kawai Digital Piano, Pianodisc.
<a href="http://sanmateopiano.com" style="color:#FF0505;font-size:10px;font-family:Times New Roman;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >http://sanmateopiano.com</a>

#1658540 - 04/11/11 09:32 PM Re: New March 2011 Yamaha U1 price? [Re: Kurtmen]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Originally Posted By: Kurtmen

Even at $10,000 half price will be $5,000

I'm sorry for keep coming back but why you are not using the MSRP?

What is the purpose of having a MSRP if it has no use?

Kurtmen,

The MSRP listed in PianoBuyer is 9999. The SMP is 9998. You're qubbling over one dollar. Wnen you metnion 11000 for an MSRP, what's your source?

#1658548 - 04/11/11 09:46 PM Re: New March 2011 Yamaha U1 price? [Re: dp69]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
It's amazing how much attention a thread gets in terms of the "cheapest Yamaha U1 ever"

One must hand it to Yamaha...

Norbert thumb

#1658549 - 04/11/11 09:47 PM Re: New March 2011 Yamaha U1 price? [Re: Ken Woodrow]
Steve Cohen Offline

Originally Posted By: KenWoodrow
What is Piano buyer guide and where do I get a copy? Is this the same as the Larry Fine Book?

It is free online. Go to www.pianobuyer.com.

Edited by Steve Cohen (04/12/11 08:59 AM)

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1658950 - 04/12/11 01:14 PM Re: New March 2011 Yamaha U1 price? [Re: dp69]
Ken Woodrow Offline

Loc: Bay Area
Thanks Steve!

This is a great resource for the novice piano shopper!

#1664001 - 04/21/11 02:42 AM Re: New March 2011 Yamaha U1 price? [Re: Kurtmen]
canadian Offline

Hello everyone
I just registered and would like to know if anyone In Winnipeg Manitoba knows if the group buy for U1 OR K3 is being done here in Canada.

#1665679 - 04/24/11 05:54 AM Re: New March 2011 Yamaha U1 price? [Re: Mike Carr]
Ken S Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA

"When the clueless piano shopper walks into a dealership, the person coming at them with the grip and grin smile, lime-green sansabelts, shiny white loafers, dusting cracker crumbs off a yellow tie is the enemy, a highly motivated sales-pro, and should be treated accordingly . . ."

That's why I love that shiny ebony finish - all the better to check my tie for crumbs before going in for the hard close!
May I defend piano shoppers? They recognize a shark when they meet one. Our U1 buyers are far from clueless; they're educated professionals with young children starting lessons. Any misrepresentation, sales tactic, or empty promise is professional suicide with these customers.
http://www.greenemusic.com
Dealer for new Steinway & Sons, Yamaha acoustic,
and Yamaha Clavinova digital pianos
http://www.myspace.com/kenschoenwetter
http://www.steinway.com/teachers/kenschoenwetter

#1666357 - 04/25/11 03:01 PM Re: New March 2011 Yamaha U1 price? [Re: Ken S]
Mike Carr Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: BANNED
Quote:
"When the clueless piano shopper walks into a dealership, the person coming at them with the grip and grin smile, lime-green sansabelts, shiny white loafers, dusting cracker crumbs off a yellow tie is the enemy, a highly motivated sales-pro, and should be treated accordingly . . ."

That's why I love that shiny ebony finish - all the better to check my tie for crumbs before going in for the hard close!
May I defend piano shoppers? They recognize a shark when they meet one. Our U1 buyers are far from clueless; they're educated professionals with young children starting lessons. Any misrepresentation, sales tactic, or empty promise is professional suicide with these customers.

Ken S,

At least I didn't portray you guys as carnival barkers with red striped shirts and bone yellow buttons, kicking sawdust off your shoes . . .

While I won't argue the savvy of yamaha shoppers, the sales force doesn't have to solely rely on the "hard sell"(fabrication and bluster) since Yamaha for decades has provided the affordable gold-standard for professionals and enthusiasts . . .

Nor do you see yamaha sales pros making a constant spectacle of themselves on piano world . . . unlike the second-raters who seem caught in a sad loop of self-satisfaction amid the disapointing hum-drum of self-interest . . .

Mike

#1666363 - 04/25/11 03:16 PM Re: New March 2011 Yamaha U1 price? [Re: dp69]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So I have a question: was the purchase price for the piano here below its actual, real, factual cost to the dealer? If so, how can dealer manage to do this? Or is it like the car industry, in which cars are sold below "invoice?" Selling a car for less than it actually cost the dealer to purchase it clearly cannot happen in real life, which must mean that the "invoice" includes dollar amounts that are in addition to the actual cost to the dealer. In this case, if the pianos are being sold for less than half of the MSRP, doesn't it follow that the manufacturers are actually charging the dealers less than half of the MSRP to buy the pianos?

I apologize if this was raised and answered earlier in this thread, but I do not have the energy to read all of the pages of prior posts, especially now that it seems clear that there is a lot of inflammatory surplusage included on those pages.

#1666379 - 04/25/11 03:44 PM Re: New March 2011 Yamaha U1 price? [Re: Rank Piano Amateur]
Steve Cohen Offline

Originally Posted By: Rank Piano Amateur
So I have a question: was the purchase price for the piano here below its actual, real, factual cost to the dealer? If so, how can dealer manage to do this? Or is it like the car industry, in which cars are sold below "invoice?" Selling a car for less than it actually cost the dealer to purchase it clearly cannot happen in real life, which must mean that the "invoice" includes dollar amounts that are in addition to the actual cost to the dealer. In this case, if the pianos are being sold for less than half of the MSRP, doesn't it follow that the manufacturers are actually charging the dealers less than half of the MSRP to buy the pianos?

I apologize if this was raised and answered earlier in this thread, but I do not have the energy to read all of the pages of prior posts, especially now that it seems clear that there is a lot of inflammatory surplusage included on those pages.

I am privy to both the real wholesale prices and MSRPs from almost all manufacturers. Some manufacturer severely inflate their MSRP while other are more resonable. There is no real relationship between MSRP and dealer cost. In almost all cases, the actual selling prices are significantly lower than the MSRP (Steinway excluded).

For the best guide (and to see who has abnormally high MSRPs), go to Piano Buyer and read the pricing information about MSRPs, Larry's "SMP" (Suggested Maximum Price), and how to calculate a reasonable "street price". His guidance isn't perfect, but it is quite good, and Ive seen nothing better.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

#1688254 - 06/01/11 02:32 AM Re: New March 2011 Yamaha U1 price? [Re: dp69]
Jolie San Jose Offline

Hi dp69,

Thanks for sharing your successful story.

I'm trying to find other buyers interested in purchasing a new Yamaha U1. I searched PW forum and did the Google search. However, I did not find any buyers group to join.

Would you tell me how you managed to join your group?

Thanks

#1688542 - 06/01/11 01:42 PM Re: New March 2011 Yamaha U1 price? [Re: Jolie San Jose]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Originally Posted By: Jolie San Jose
Hi dp69,
I'm trying to find other buyers interested in purchasing a new Yamaha U1. I searched PW forum and did the Google searc

If you are really from San Jose and shopping for a new U1 at the lowest possible price, you should go to the Yamaha dealer in San Jose and ask if they have any group deals in the works that you can join. If they don't, check other Bay area dealers.

It is very difficult to believe that any Bay area dealer would give you a quote of $9999 on a new U1, What dealer was that?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
91 registered (Atrys, Anticlock, Art_Vandelay, 25 invisible), 1331 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155778 Topics
2287328 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Emergency help!
by Parks
07/10/14 11:36 PM
Pain in my lower back, help!!
by rov
07/10/14 10:55 PM
If there were only 2 choices..
by ChopinFan66
07/10/14 08:04 PM
symphonic pianomusic
by dolce sfogato
07/10/14 06:16 PM
First Digital Piano - Casio AP250 or Roland RP301?
by Jorgeb
07/10/14 02:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission