Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1687418 - 05/30/11 10:25 PM Re: WTC Which edition to buy [Re: joangolfing]
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Why is it - or why does it appear to be so - that one hears much more of the Preludes and Fugues from Book I than one does those from Book II? Does it appear to anyone else that those from Book II are even more "abstract," more intellectual or, to put it otherwise, even harder to grasp interpretively than those from Book I?

Has Bach evolved so much between 1722 and 1742 that the Preludes and Fugues in the second book are even less accessible as musical experiences than those from Book I. Does it take a much more mature musical mind to appreciate the Preludes and Fugues from Book II? Some of those from Book I have almost earned the status of being "popular" among those who play Bach, whether they have to or want to, but none of those from Book II seem - to me - to have acquired that dubious status or that kind of exposure.

Regards,

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1687424 - 05/30/11 10:30 PM Re: WTC Which edition to buy [Re: Andromaque]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
Does the Baerenreiter have fingerings for the WTC?

No.

#1687443 - 05/30/11 10:58 PM Re: WTC Which edition to buy [Re: BruceD]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Why is it - or why does it appear to be so - that one hears much more of the Preludes and Fugues from Book I than one does those from Book II? Does it appear to anyone else that those from Book II are even more "abstract," more intellectual or, to put it otherwise, even harder to grasp interpretively than those from Book I?

Has Bach evolved so much between 1722 and 1742 that the Preludes and Fugues in the second book are even less accessible as musical experiences than those from Book I. Does it take a much more mature musical mind to appreciate the Preludes and Fugues from Book II? Some of those from Book I have almost earned the status of being "popular" among those who play Bach, whether they have to or want to, but none of those from Book II seem - to me - to have acquired that dubious status or that kind of exposure.

Book I does seem generally more popular, I agree. I don't know why, really. To me, book II seems perhaps more spare and less showy, but I'm not sure about the accessibility issue. It doesn't seem generally less accessible to me; it's just a bit more - what's the word? - "inward", maybe.

#1687579 - 05/31/11 05:55 AM Re: WTC Which edition to buy [Re: SlatterFan]
crogersrx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
[quote=SlatterFan... but I like working from a blank slate, because I usually write a lot of fingering into Bach! I can always refer to other editions for ideas on fingering if I need to. [/quote]

I agree. I am working on lots of JS Bach right now, mostly from Barenreiter Urtex editions, but some Henle, and my instructor suggests that I get the ones without the ornamentations written out, without the fingerings written, etc. It was painful at first, but there is a benefit in learning the pieces in their (more or less) original forms, to really read and execute the ornaments instead of written out approximations, and to devise your own fingerings.

#1687597 - 05/31/11 07:23 AM Re: WTC Which edition to buy [Re: joangolfing]
joangolfing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Iowa
After reading all the Barenreiter recommendations I ordered both parts from sheetmusicplus.com on sale for 22.36 each. This has been a very valuable thread for me.

#1688411 - 06/01/11 10:46 AM Re: WTC Which edition to buy [Re: joangolfing]
dlr Offline

Loc: Michigan
I don't have book II. I have the Henle edition of Book I. I think I'll stop in at JW Pepper today and check out the Henle and Barenreiter editions. I'm in the mood for Bach lately. It's going to be a fun afternoon! Great and timely thread.

Denise

Take my hand, let me stand where no one stands alone

#1688750 - 06/01/11 06:56 PM Re: WTC Which edition to buy [Re: joangolfing]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Henle, or Barenreiter. I also have Tovey's edition (ABRSM), which is an interesting find (IF it can still be found).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1688759 - 06/01/11 07:06 PM Re: WTC Which edition to buy [Re: BruceD]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: BruceD

Regards,

Personally, Book II, is by far my favorite, the one I feel most comfortable with, and the one I play most. I agree that it's a bit more difficult to "grasp" for most than it's counterpart and not only because of the reasons Bruce has given here, but because it's "thought" to be technically "easier" (which, of course, is nonsense). Over the years I've come to think of each book as a whole and cannot hear a single prelude or fugue without hearing that which ensues. I realise that Bach did not compose the WTC's contents with this sort of continuum in mind, but for me it's one complete (unbelievable) work.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (AndrewJCW, amv256, 19 invisible), 1203 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156882 Topics
2305121 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
08/23/14 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase a few questions
by bigun
08/23/14 02:26 AM
MY NEW PIANO
by Jvmvidela
08/23/14 02:14 AM
Here's a Paranoid Question:
by Paul678
08/23/14 01:19 AM
Are you must always make A4= 440?
by Maximillyan
08/23/14 12:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission