2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 139 of 341 1 2 137 138 139 140 141 340 341
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
After more thought I guess it's possible. C dim would have a Gb and might also have an added major 7th. C, Eb, Gb, B.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You can find all sorts of corner cases if there's a key change in the measure, or if the music is poorly notated.

I think my initial point was picked on for accuracy, but hopefully you understand what I meant.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Yup - let's move on.

Now for someone like you, Knotty, that's just trying to improve sight reading, where is the delay coming from, the Deciphering of the note or the finger going to the note?

I'm just wondering if my time away from the piano can be used for building up the deciphering speed, particulary of chord shapes.

When I read my kid's beginner piano books, it is clear that they only want you to look at the starting note, and everything else is based on interval moves (without thinking of the notes). If this is the case, then trying to improve my deciphering doesn't do anything.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> Now for someone like you, Knotty, that's just trying to improve sight reading, where is the delay coming from, the Deciphering of the note or the finger going to the note?

I don't know if there is a delay. Nothing in music comes fast, you know that. I think I'm making great progress so I'm happy to recommend it. In addition, I'm enjoying it.

But the difficulty are those I stated above. When RH drives, then LH drives, I get confused. See what I mean, sometimes you'll have a line in the RH, that stops, and then you need to tell your head that the line you are now reading is in the LH, and the RH is playing support roles.
Also, reading 2 staves is always a source of confusion. Especially when the motion inverts.
Rhythms can be tricky.

And the delay comes from the fact that this method is intended to be slow. 1 4 measure tune per day.

Seems to me like you already know all the notes, so that really great. I'm sure rhythms are also easy. You just need to train yourself to follow the notes as you read, and read ahead.

I'll send you a couple of pages. You can decide for yourself.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
check it:
http://www.box.net/shared/0as7g4hgbs

Is it readable?
Can you sight read the 1st piece, the first time through, at 60bpm or so?

If this is too easy, I have some harder ones.

If this is too hard, try book 2.

Last edited by knotty; 06/02/11 07:11 PM.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Yes I can do this. Is this Book 1? At least my pattern recognition told me it was just a C triad in about a second. But I'll practice it anyway to get used to it.

I just need to know what Book to start at. I do have a problem looking at the bass clef at the same time.

Last edited by jazzwee; 06/02/11 07:20 PM.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
this is the beginning of book 3.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
How many times do you do each book? If you've sight read it once, then the next time it would be too easy to memorize? I have a natural habit of memorizing what I see (as I mentioned before).

BTW - my level would be above this book. This is simpler than what my kid is doing. I can sight read what my kid plays.

I was at a lesson with my teacher and I explained my sight reading problem. Then he tested me on playing various chords without looking at the keyboard. He said I had no problem with that. So maybe my issue is as simple as never moving my head or not freezing in fear.

Seriously, you cannot play a piece like Chopin's 10/1 if you cannot feel the keyboard. There's no time.

I do those Phone apps where it shows a note and you play it on the keyboard. I do well on those too. But I don't have to look away since the keyboard and note are on the same little screen.

I can read the melody of any Real Book leadsheet, though I memorize it.

What is wrong with me?!!! I conclude I have a psychological problem. smile I need a shrink to analyze.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>>How many times do you do each book?
once.

>>Then he tested me on playing various chords without looking at the keyboard.
Playing chord? Reading Chords. I have no doubt you can play chords. That's what we do. But how is it related to sight reading?

>>BTW - my level would be above this book. This is simpler than what my kid is doing. I can sight read what my kid plays.

Earlier you said:
>>The kid stuff IS designed for sight reading. In fact, at this level, it seems to be the main point of the books. It is easy for me to read them. But the reaction time is the issue.

That indicates to me that you cannot sight read those pieces. If you have a delay, or a reaction time, then it's deciphering, not sight reading.

So I assume you did that with the piece that says 5th day. You sat down, and played it through perfect the first time.
If there was no struggling, then you are above that level.

I can show you mid of book 3 or beginning of book 4 if you'd like.

>> What is wrong with me?!!! I conclude I have a psychological problem. smile I need a shrink to analyze.
You're just at a particular level like anyone else, but I'm not able to understand what that level is yet.
There is a point where you are no longer able to sight read a piece. And then there's a point right before where you can still sight read, keeping time, but making a few mistakes. That's your level right there.

In the end, it doesn't matter if you look at your hands, or what. What matters is whether you can play the piece the first time. If you have a good ear, you can read the piece ahead and hear it all in your head, therefore playing by ear. That counts, that's all good.

Can you play this through the first time:
http://site.musicbooksnow.com/musicsheets/simplyeeantv1/980854_1.jpg

More importantly, when you write an arrangement, can you play it 2 months later?
This is the part that frustrates me the most, and to me, that's where the rubber meets the road.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty

>>Then he tested me on playing various chords without looking at the keyboard.
Playing chord? Reading Chords. I have no doubt you can play chords. That's what we do. But how is it related to sight reading?

Just to answer this, it means I don't need to look at my hands to play since I can play complex chords without looking.

The point is, I can read the notes (I can say them out loud), I can play without looking -- YET I cannot sight read. I freeze.

It's like parts of the elements of sight reading are in me but I'm missing something that I don't understand.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> I'm missing something that I don't understand
practice

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I did your exercise last night and found a weakness with looking at the bass clef at the same time. Other than that delay, this was a doable exercise. Am I allowed to try it again to build up speed?

Since I am not practiced in simultaneously reading the bass clef, I just spent a lot of time going through the Real Book melodies of tunes I don't know to see if I could read them. I guess if I just forced myself to never look away, it was doable.

Maybe this is not as bad as it seems. If I can sight read even just the head, then it would be major progress.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>>Am I allowed to try it again to build up speed?
Yes. I gave myself the goal that I should be able to play them at 60bpm the first time around.
But then I come back the next day and speed it up. Not all in one day because it's too easy to memorize.

>> Maybe this is not as bad as it seems. If I can sight read even just the head, then it would be major progress.
Some melodies in the realbooks are really hard to read.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
Some melodies in the realbooks are really hard to read.

Which is why it's perfect. Look at Oleo alone; the rhythmic challenge of reading that.

So what book are you on now?

When I go on vacation, I figure a MIDI keyboard and the Realbooks should keep me occupied with sight reading.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> So what book are you on now?
I'm still on book 3. I think 1 book is about 6 months or so. At least at my pace. Note that book 12, which is last, is very advanced. If I make it there, 4 or 5 years sounds reasonable.
I think you get the most out of it by doing it slowly, each day.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
How many pages does it have? From what you posted, it would a comfortable starting point because it's so doable. Then I should probably get this book.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
that's my sense also.

It's 35 pages or so.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hey Knotty, I sight read the whole Faber Level 1 book tonight. And pretty much at tempo. So maybe my purchase of the 4 Stars Book #3 may have been redundant?

I may not be as bad as I thought. The improvement may have snuck up on me...Maybe I should have ordered #4.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You'll find out soon enough. Book 3 gets tricky for folks like me, not used to playingreading 2 staves at a time.
However, it's not very advanced. Minimum chords, minimum hand movement. But it's because it's a the right level, and simple enough that I'm able to keep my eyes on the paper, not look at the hand, and make some decent progress.

It's key to find your level. I don't about know your teacher, but jazz teachers are usually not very experienced teaching reading, while classical teachers can tell you pretty quick what your sight reading level is. It's what they do.

I have book 4, if you want me to scan a few pages, let me know.

Last edited by knotty; 06/04/11 08:48 AM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jazzwee

What is wrong with me?!!! I conclude I have a psychological problem. smile I need a shrink to analyze.

I could have told you that! thumb

All I can say jazzwee is that if you want to play music while reading it, then that is what you must practice. Start at whatever level is comfortable and don't expect progress to be quick.

Don't be distracted by the fact that you are good at other things. If you started piano just now from scratch, and practised, you would get better.

Page 139 of 341 1 2 137 138 139 140 141 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission