Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1691526 - 06/06/11 06:30 PM My first RD-700NX recordings
JulianMaurits Offline

Loc: Amsterdam
Hi all,
I just bought the RD-700NX this weekend!
I'm very happy with it so far. It's my first digital. the sound is amazing! especially the recording quality. personally I would not be able to distinguish it from a real piano..
The action is even closer to an acoustic I think. every acoustic is different and I personally prefer it over a medium quality upright action. It's very fast and responsive, but not too light.
the ep's are a bit strange, but nice to play though.
anyway, thank you all for all the information you provide here!

I recorded some tunes right away. If anyone is interested in the sound quality (or my playing of course.. blush ):
RD-700NX Recordings feel free to comment!

Cheers,
Julian

Edited by JulianMaurits (06/07/11 02:36 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1691743 - 06/07/11 01:35 AM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
Jazz+ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Can't play m4a files, how about mp3 ?

#1691759 - 06/07/11 02:37 AM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: Jazz+]
JulianMaurits Offline

good point Jazz+, I fixed it.

#1691777 - 06/07/11 03:51 AM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
Aidan Offline

Loc: UK
Nice playing, Julian. A lot of the recordings have far too much reverb for my taste but that's a personal thing.

I liked best the voice you used on It Never Entered - which is that one?

The Rhodes demo only served to reinforce my own take on the RD's electric pianos - immensely tweakable, but you never seem to get where you're headed.

Overall (and no disrespect intended to Julian's choice of gear), for me these recordings and my own experience of the NX demonstrate a truth that maybe some have lost sight of on this forum.

That is, you can have a piece of kit which tickets all the boxes technically - escapement simulation, ivory feel, models vs samples, no loops/stretching etc etc. And it can still end up with it sounding not that much like a real piano.

There are many people currently wetting their pants over the arrival of the Korg Kronos because it has unlooped samples. But the ticking of a certain technical box doesn't guarantee a great sound.

Digital piano = box of compromises, folks!

#1691794 - 06/07/11 05:10 AM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi JulianMaurits,

Really do like your playing in that first piece, "Tres Palabras.mp3," as it has a nice easy feel to it, and, it sounds rather complex, rhythmically speaking. I can tell that you enjoy the music as that's what counts.

No easy task for the pianist, however!

pv88

#1691800 - 06/07/11 05:37 AM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
Paolo70 Offline

Loc: Italy
Hi Julian,

I am truly impressed with both your playing and this piano's warm and dynamic sound.

Please note that there seems to be a blank of about 1:57'' at the beginning of the Skylark recording.

Thank you for sharing,
Paolo

#1691805 - 06/07/11 06:03 AM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: Aidan]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Aidan
Nice playing, Julian. A lot of the recordings have far too much reverb for my taste but that's a personal thing.

I agree, great playing, thanks for taking the time to record and post!

Most DPs have the reverb on by default I believe at least partly to cover up a somewhat lame piano sound. But real pianos have enough resonance going on, they really don't need another layer of mush on top. IMO Roland SN APs don't need nor do they benefit from it either. I've even tried all the reverbs in Adobe Audition and none could improve the basic SN AP sound (IMO).

I'd say turn the reverb off and turn up the pedal sympathetic resonance, which sounds pretty nice for being an in-line DSP effect.

#1692143 - 06/07/11 05:35 PM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: Aidan]
JulianMaurits Offline

thanks for all your kind and useful comments guys (are there any women on this forum?..)!
You're right about the reverb. it's too much. but it were just some first recordings, not perfect at all..
so Dewster, I suppose you tweaked quite a bit? you made some good presets?
Aidan, the sound used in It Never entered My Mind is the studio grand. (this one doesn't have much reverb actually)

I will upload another file later, without reverb.

cheers,
Julian

#1692190 - 06/07/11 07:19 PM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Julian, I've listened to "Georgia" several times today and I must say I'm very impressed with what you've done with all of these pieces - bravo! I'm not an EP connoisseur, but the Rhodes sounds really nice to me - the low end is pronounced, but not overbearing. The tremolo at the end piece is a nice touch too. This EP records very well, which isn't too surprising as it is SN. The NX EPs and APs seem to respond to your intimate playing style quite well.

Originally Posted By: JulianMaurits
so Dewster, I suppose you tweaked quite a bit? you made some good presets?

Here are some settings I've used for the APs in our NX, they're mostly just turning things off, lifting the lid a bit and jacking the sympathetic resonance up:

All:
Panel EQ: Off (w/ button)
Panel Reverb: Off (w/ button)
Panel Chorus: Off (w/ button)
Panel Compressor: Off (w/ button)
Sound Focus: Off (w/ button)
Sympathetic Resonance: 64

Concert:
Lid: Set to 7
Menu EQ: Off

Studio:
Lid: Set to 7

Brilliant:
No other setting changes

#1692232 - 06/07/11 09:47 PM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: dewster]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I've only sampled a bit of each recording, but so far, BIG thumbs up - they all sound great!! (as does the playing)

Thanks,
Greg.

Edited by sullivang (06/07/11 09:55 PM)

#1692924 - 06/09/11 01:10 PM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
JulianMaurits Offline

thank you dewster for your settings.
I uploaded a new one without any reverb. it's a little improvisation on a beatles tune. hope you like it.
You've Got To Hide Your Love

thanks, Julian

#1692935 - 06/09/11 01:26 PM Skylark.mp3 - Delayed playing time [Re: JulianMaurits]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

[Edited]

#1692941 - 06/09/11 01:35 PM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I uploaded a new one without any reverb. it's a little improvisation on a beatles tune. hope you like it.

Ah, much better AP sound! Your intimate playing really puts the NX in a good light!

The reverb in the NX isn't anything to write home about - it certainly seems to kill the APs. When slathered on a pipe organ it sounds sort of OK though.

I think you have the left and right channels swapped (I noticed this in your other recordings too). Also, I'm not hearing the damper pedal mechanical sound - you are recording to MIDI first? Or are you just not using the pedal? Or do you have the pedal mechanical noise turned off?

#1692942 - 06/09/11 01:37 PM Re: Skylark.mp3 does not play [Re: pv88]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pv88
It appears as if your "Skylark.mp3" piece is not working...

Paolo noted in an earlier post that there are ~2 minutes of silence at the beginning.

#1692951 - 06/09/11 01:52 PM Re: Skylark.mp3 does not play [Re: dewster]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks dewster,

As I did not originally see Paolo's post, which mentioned that.

Have edited my post, above.

pv88

#1693069 - 06/09/11 04:52 PM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: Aidan]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The Rhodes demo only served to reinforce my own take on the RD's electric pianos - immensely tweakable, but you never seem to get where you're headed.

Aidan (I hope you don't think I'm trying to be snarky) could you tell me what it is about the NX Rhodes in Julian's rendition of "Georgia" that sounds bad / off / not realistic? Have you tried an NX, and if so are the EP presets different than on the GX?

Julian, what do you think of the NX Rhodes sound?

Like most people, I've been exposed to EPs via popular music, but I'm by no means a connoisseur. Our family owned an EP when I was a kid, I believe it may have been a Wurlitzer, but I only dinked around on it a bit. The tremolo knob was fun, and I faintly remember taking the plastic top off and seeing felt hammers and bars or something (as a kid I took literally everything apart and, unfortunately for others, often left it that way).

#1693353 - 06/10/11 04:16 AM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
Aidan Offline

Loc: UK
First of all, Julian, much better recording and again nice playing!

Dewster, re: the RD's EPs... I find it tricky to put into words exactly what feels wrong to me about them, and I have only limited acquaintance with those on the NX - however, I understand that it's basically the same EP modelling as its predecessor, perhaps with better factory presets.

On the GX, the Rhodes model, for example, when you get down into the territory around E2, has this curious fuzziness about it, almost like distortion or line noise, which is unlike any Rhodes I've ever played.

You can hear this in Julian's recording somewhat - the lower notes sound a little "ghosted" and you hear the overtones more than you do the fundamental. The EPs delivered out of the box with the RD700GX were disastrous - flabby and thin. It was possible to get better results by really wading into the sound designer but they still, to me, had a rather one-dimensional quality about them.

The GX Wurlis are far worse, going from flabby plastic to thin and piercing, with very little natural warmth.

As a quick Rhodes comparison here is a quick play through of Georgia on the Nord's Rhodes Mk1 Deep sample. In retrospect, it probably required a bit of boost on the bass and the "bark point" is set a little high, but you get the idea...

My Georgia!

To me, this has a slightly more organic feel to the sound, and better response to phrasing, especially for jazz purposes.

#1693398 - 06/10/11 07:09 AM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: Aidan]
JulianMaurits Offline

My Georgia!

To me, this has a slightly more organic feel to the sound, and better response to phrasing, especially for jazz purposes.

very nice playing!! I agree with you on the rhodes sound. I played a real one several times on my school, and it's really different. the nord one is better in my opinion (I tried the NP in the store). the RD has a strange sound, hard to describe. but it is very responsive and sounds good to my ears, just not exactly like a real rhodes..
actually I thought the nord AP sound was more woody and realistic sounding than the RD. but I was really turned off by the rubbish action of the Nord. also the connection to the sound seemed to be more natural on the RD.

Originally Posted By: dewster
I think you have the left and right channels swapped (I noticed this in your other recordings too). Also, I'm not hearing the damper pedal mechanical sound - you are recording to MIDI first? Or are you just not using the pedal? Or do you have the pedal mechanical noise turned off?

I'm recording the sound through a firewire audio interface, into logic. You could be right about the channels.. I think I swapped left and right for both the piano and the speakers, so I hear them correctly...
I can't figure out how to record midi and then play the RD's sound with the file... I'm a bit new in this world, sorry.
also my midi usb cable distorts the audio signal from the firewire cable next to it.. anyone has this problem too?

#1693411 - 06/10/11 07:51 AM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
I've just listened to Skylark. Very nice! Hoagy Carmichael was a great composer and I'm glad his music is still being played.

The piano sounds great to me as do you and I for one do not find the reverb objectionable.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1693431 - 06/10/11 08:46 AM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: Dave Horne]
JulianMaurits Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
I've just listened to Skylark. Very nice! Hoagy Carmichael was a great composer and I'm glad his music is still being played.

thank you! skylark is a beautiful song indeed. (as is Georgia)

#1693487 - 06/10/11 10:57 AM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Julian, nice playing! Really enjoyed listening. I have to say, the RD-700NX sounds extremely good, very authentic to my ears. Thanks for sharing!

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1693607 - 06/10/11 03:51 PM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Aidan and Julian, thanks for your takes on the NX EPs!

I'm recording the sound through a firewire audio interface, into logic. You could be right about the channels.. I think I swapped left and right for both the piano and the speakers, so I hear them correctly...
I can't figure out how to record midi and then play the RD's sound with the file... I'm a bit new in this world, sorry.

If you just want to record your playing to a WAV file, plug a thumb drive into the back of the NX, and use the Song/Rhythm section to capture the WAV. You name it at the end when you are done recording. It's really simple and it gives you a good noise floor. Also much more difficult to accidentally swap L & R smile.

also my midi usb cable distorts the audio signal from the firewire cable next to it.. anyone has this problem too?

Yes, this is the digital USB connection inducing ground noise into the audio. MIDI is optically isolated for this very reason, and this is why I think the replacement of MIDI connectors with USB is a really bad move (it severely restricts interoperability as well). I would suggest you play the MIDI to the NX via USB, and record the audio via the NX WAV recorder. I've had good luck doing that. BTW, you need to set the "Part Mode" to "16 Part" in order for the voice you select via the front panel to be the one that plays back via MIDI, otherwise you'll get some lame looped and stretched piano from the GM bank.

#1693611 - 06/10/11 03:57 PM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: dewster]
JulianMaurits Offline

thanks a lot Dewster, this really helps! I wouldn't have thought of that "part mode" myself..
thank you Zachary, by the way I also liked your version of Georgia!

Julian

#1694073 - 06/11/11 10:29 PM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: Aidan]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Dewster, re: the RD's EPs... I find it tricky to put into words exactly what feels wrong to me about them, and I have only limited acquaintance with those on the NX - however, I understand that it's basically the same EP modelling as its predecessor, perhaps with better factory presets.

On the GX, the Rhodes model, for example, when you get down into the territory around E2, has this curious fuzziness about it, almost like distortion or line noise, which is unlike any Rhodes I've ever played.

You can hear this in Julian's recording somewhat - the lower notes sound a little "ghosted" and you hear the overtones more than you do the fundamental.

Thanks for explaining that Aidan, I believe I do hear what you are describing, kind of a breathy sound to the lower NX EP notes. But the lowest bass frequencies are still there, and they sound nicely balanced to me, seemingly almost ready to be too loud but thankfully never really going there. Then again, I know almost nothing about how an authentic EP should sound (other than having been almost drowned in an ocean of classic rock in my youth and adulthood - and unintentionally flashing back again today via the liquor store muzak system frown ).

As a quick Rhodes comparison here is a quick play through of Georgia on the Nord's Rhodes Mk1 Deep sample. In retrospect, it probably required a bit of boost on the bass and the "bark point" is set a little high, but you get the idea...

My Georgia!

Very nice playing Aidan, thanks! I do hear the "bark point" - and it's probably just my overdeveloped sensitivity, but it seems like I'm hearing lower stretch group transitions interacting with it. That's the thing about small DP sample sets I guess, they never allow me to let my guard down - something in me is always waiting for a sonic shoe to drop. Regardless of whatever other issues they may have, with the NX SN APs and EPs I find I can relax a bit more and just listen to what is being played.

#1694289 - 06/12/11 11:33 AM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

I prefer the Nord version of "My Georgia" - the sound is more complex, and more interesting. The Roland sound never seemed to get into bark territory, but I can't tell whether that was intentional or not. It is a lovely mellow tone though. I didn't notice any stretching in either.

Greg.

#1694652 - 06/12/11 11:02 PM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: sullivang]
marknz Offline

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I initially found the EP's on the RD700NX disappointing. I understand where Aiden and others are coming from. I have an SV1 as well and I think this DP excels with their Rhodes and wurly sounds, as does the Nord. Both these instruments have given us truly authentic sounding EP's harking back to the vintage originals. However the more I play the NX's EP sounds the more I enjoy their particular character, definitely not as authentic but nice enough to enjoy. I find the NX's Rhodes sounds however not as useable as the SV1's. There is a better connection with the action of the SV1 and their EP sounds,but when playing the AP sounds, the Roland has the better connection. IMHO.

Thank God for the gift of Music

#1694676 - 06/12/11 11:49 PM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

I think one reason I like the Nord is that the release sounds are more authentic. I don't hear much in the way of releases in the Roland. Does the Roland provide much control over the releases?

Greg.

#1694857 - 06/13/11 10:27 AM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: sullivang]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sullivang
I don't hear much in the way of releases in the Roland. Does the Roland provide much control over the releases?

Yes, most of the EPs have control over key release note damp sound. If you turn it up it's pretty obvious, though like these somewhat misc. sounds on APs a little goes a long way.

I noticed that the "Bell Character" adjustment on the Reed EPs controls the pitch of note damp sound. And the breathy noise on the Tine EP lower notes seems to be somewhat adjustable via the "Pickup Distance" adjustment. Lots of stuff there to play around with.

#1694955 - 06/13/11 01:26 PM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: dewster]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

I had the SN EPs back in my G8 via expansion card. They were disappointing and tweaking didn't get me to a good sound. I hear the same characteristics in OPs Georgia recording. While the little elements are there, they don't quite add up to a sound that captures an authentic EP sound. Korg, Nord and Yamaha all offer great EP boards. I frequently hear Nords and Yamahas up on jazz, funk and blues stages and they always sound amazing.

I do think Roland really did a great job on the SN APs. They sound really nice in OPs recordings. I wouldn't mistake them for a real piano in a solo recording/performance but I imagine they would be transparent in many recordings and live settings. The 700NX is also very enjoyable to play if piano is your focus.
Roland Jupiter 80

#1696612 - 06/16/11 06:45 PM Re: My first RD-700NX recordings [Re: JulianMaurits]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
Julian,

I'm late to this thread, but wanted to comment on your great playing. I'm really impressed with so many things you're doing on these recordings.
I've just purchased an RD 700nx too, so was just checking out this thread about the sounds, but seriously, I think you'd be able to make any keyboard sound great.

Keep up the great work man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How do you charge a fellow technician?
by chernobieff
09/30/14 06:28 PM
Question for the moderator...
by Emmery
09/30/14 05:57 PM
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Who's Online
139 registered (accordeur, acortot, 36251, 33 invisible), 1576 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76383 Members
42 Forums
157896 Topics
2318927 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission