Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
100 registered (accordeur, 36251, ando, anamnesis, Alegretto, A Guy, 35 invisible), 1411 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1691941 - 06/07/11 12:21 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Monica, did you ever read Swan Song by R. McCammon?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1691948 - 06/07/11 12:37 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
clayts Offline

Loc: Banned
played chess for 12 years got sick of being beat by kids so decided to become a pianist just like all you lovely beautiful pianists on this forum.

#1691956 - 06/07/11 12:53 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
Yardwork. Lots and lots of yardwork. Someday, I'd like to get it to the point when I can call it "gardening," as that name implies an activity requiring less than a backhoe, 8HP rototiller, and 4-wheel-drive string trimmer.

Other than that, adjusting to being an empty-nester, computer stuff; I find creating and maintaining websites actual fun, bicycling, spinning/weaving/knitting, reading, camping, fishing. Garage sale-ing is a fun way to spend an early Saturday morning, and we keep a vintage MG sports car up and running. Working on getting the FJ-40 Landcruiser going again...LOTS of open land around here to explore and we like to go looking for ghost towns. I'd like to get back into dog agility as well, having acquired a rescue pup (my avatar) who's quite the athlete if you can get her attention. Also love to cook and bake, and am starting a class in oenology. I expect to be an 'A' student there! wink

#1691958 - 06/07/11 12:59 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: JeanieA]
clayts Offline

chess, martial arts, computers.i, am, the, music, man and. ,i, can, play,i can play the piano the, piano, piano, piano, pia, pia, piano, pia, piano,

#1691968 - 06/07/11 01:08 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: clayts]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Okay, I was going to not bother then changed my mind...
Clayts; "How is the new red piano that you was meant to get last thursday?" You haven't mentioned it.
It's possible you may have "ignore Rostosky" switched on, so could someone else ask?
Thanks.

Edited by Rostosky (06/07/11 01:08 PM)
Edit Reason: Wife said "sarcasm was way over the top"

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1691977 - 06/07/11 01:23 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
clayts Offline

I have learnt that the best thing thing to do with idiots is ignore them, don,t be a pillock all your life have a rest day, or were you born stupid or have you had special training?

#1691979 - 06/07/11 01:30 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: IanW]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: IanW
Good to see another climber on the forum. Is there another sport more wildly incompatible with piano playing? In my case a permanently dog-legged pinky adds to the challenge I suppose.

I bet it does. I'm not doing much climbing lately, not since I lost my lead head. Maybe it will come back someday.

Lots of backpacking and hiking on weekends. It really cuts down on my piano practice, which is a drag. But I couldn't live without the mountains.

#1691984 - 06/07/11 01:37 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Thanks for switching "ignore" off. I am glad we are friends again. I was just worried that something may have gone wrong with the delivery guys, you know what they are like allways stopping for tea and stuff.
I do like Pollock, I think it is an underated fish, and am glad some members list fishing as one of their other hobbies. Do you prefer Pollock or hake?
I was born what the medics called "slightly stupid" but have indeed had special training, I went to a state school to get this special training, How did you guess?
Would you like me to upload a photo of my favourite music teacher from school, he thought I may have potential and said so in my leaving report.
It's only a small photo.

Edited by Rostosky (06/07/11 01:39 PM)
Edit Reason: Accidently thought Clayts might not be my friend anymore, was mistaken.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1691988 - 06/07/11 01:40 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Monica K.]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Reading is my other main recreational passion besides piano. My family is still on our post-apocalyptic literature kick; we've got literally an entire bookcase full of the stuff (and I just ordered "Robocalypse" from amazon, and it looks really good).

Monica, have you read Earth Abides by George R. Stewart? Classic everybody-else-is-dead-and-I'm-the-only-one-left novel.

Sam

#1692066 - 06/07/11 03:20 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I forgot to mention my baseball card collection. I collected baseball cards from the mid-70's until the late 80's. More recently I have been purchasing older cards from the 50's and 60's.
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1692072 - 06/07/11 03:27 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Monica it seems that other members are interested in the novels you have read but I'm still stuck on the sweaty gym workout images.

Any chance of you posting a few pics?

#1692136 - 06/07/11 05:18 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Cobra1365 Offline

Loc: Delaware
Let's see...

I recently started collecting Curios and Relics firearms. I own a Mosin Nagant 91/30, Chinese SKS, CZ-82 and an old Winchester Bolt action .22. My wife and I love to cruise. We do P90X (although on hiatus until my shoulder heals). Used to fly. But, right now, my biggest time consumer other than piano and household maintenance is the rebuild of my engine for my toy...

Edited by Cobra1365 (06/07/11 08:13 PM)

#1692153 - 06/07/11 06:08 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Cobra1365]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Peyton, I also sail, although I sold my boat a while back so have to scratch around for crew opportunities. Used to race J-24's. Play a lot of texas hold em poker (live, not online) and checked off a bucket list item when I played in a WSOP event last year. Have always fished, both fresh and salt. Ride a bike for exercise. Piano is by far the most difficult hobby I've ever taken up and expect it will take a decade or more to get any good at it.

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#1692161 - 06/07/11 06:29 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: JimF]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: JimF
Peyton, I also sail, although I sold my boat a while back so have to scratch around for crew opportunities. Used to race J-24's. Play a lot of texas hold em poker (live, not online) and checked off a bucket list item when I played in a WSOP event last year. Have always fished, both fresh and salt. Ride a bike for exercise. Piano is by far the most difficult hobby I've ever taken up and expect it will take a decade or more to get any good at it.

Jim

The J-24 is such a sweet racing boat. I used to race 23' Tempests. They took the place of the Star during the 76 olympics and were wicked fun and fast. Full keel with a trapeze. Wish I still had mine but had to give them up when I had kids. Ended up with a 25' "family" sailboat.

#1692162 - 06/07/11 06:31 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: hawgdriver]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: hawgdriver
I thought I'd share a couple of skydiving related links.

Here's our 4-way team at 2005 nationals. Can you guess which one is me?

Here's clip of some footage launching exits from a twin otter.

Golf and piano: real success seems to come when you stop demanding it of yourself, and begin to let yourself just play.

Hawgdriver... very cool! Must have been one heck of a bungie to pull you all back into the plane like that. laugh

#1692213 - 06/07/11 08:51 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: mr_super-hunky
Monica it seems that other members are interested in the novels you have read but I'm still stuck on the sweaty gym workout images.

Any chance of you posting a few pics?

No frigging way. eek

But I'm happy to blather on about post-apocalyptic fiction all you or anybody else wants. laugh

Speaking of which, yes, I've got and have read both "Swan Song" and "Earth Abides." smile Neither of them, though, would make my top five, which would probably consist of 'The Passage,' 'The Road,' 'World War Z,' 'Everything Matters,' and 'One Second After.'

#1692229 - 06/07/11 09:38 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I'm positively boring compared to most of you lot. My main other pastime is reading. I read voraciously - mostly the two E's - histories and mysteries. grin

I dabble in photography, hike a bit, fish a bit and generally annoy my wife (which I seem to be quite talented at.} Years ago I was into power boating and golf, but I had to give them both up due to lack of funds and nearby water in one case and back pain in the other.

flickr

#1692270 - 06/07/11 11:30 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Lord Akela Offline

Loc: Philippines
Play videogames. I'm good enough to be considered a low-tier league player for a particular FPS game, but I didn't really bother since lots of people take it way too seriously and flip out at small mistakes even if they were unavoidable.

Game development, a hobby since high school.

Drawing and animation, though not as much as before. I'm not super great. I'm saving up or a good tablet so I can get serious with frame-by-frame animation. I really want to make a short frame-by-frame animation.

I used to read a lot of books, but I don't have any new books right now and I don't know what to read. I read whatever I get my hands on though. I think the last one I read was Zombie Survival Guide.

Ever since I started working I had to put much less time on some hobbies. I pretty much only have about 2-3 hours every night on weekdays. Right now I'm focusing on the piano and game development. Kinda bummer that I can't do everything.

#1692284 - 06/08/11 12:24 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
OK - I tried to post some photos of my pottery, but I think the best I can manage is a link. I think I did it! The first 2 photos are Cone 6 porcelain pieces with carved surfaces. We just switched to that firing range last summer. The vases are about 8 inches high, the tea bowls smaller. The 3rd photo is a slip-decorated rice storage jar, Cone 04 (earthenware) from a couple of years ago. It's about 20 inches high.

Edited by joyoussong (06/08/11 12:37 AM)

#1692285 - 06/08/11 12:24 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Lord Akela, you ever play Amnesia? My favorite game ever.

#1692287 - 06/08/11 12:26 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Carol - I love the penguins! And I love bowls - yours are really nice.

Cathy

#1692293 - 06/08/11 12:40 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: Peyton
Originally Posted By: JimF
Peyton, I also sail, although I sold my boat a while back so have to scratch around for crew opportunities.
Jim

The J-24 is such a sweet racing boat. I used to race 23' Tempests. They took the place of the Star during the 76 olympics and were wicked fun and fast. Full keel with a trapeze. Wish I still had mine but had to give them up when I had kids. Ended up with a 25' "family" sailboat.

Hey guys-- I still race. From One-design to now PHRF. Now I do a lot of Race Officer stuff on the side. Tomorrow is Wednesday Night Racing over here. Last Wednesday we had 8 foot waves and 30 knots for excitement smile They cancelled the race though.

Racing and Piano are both pretty tough to do...

Too bad you guys are far away. I could always use crew.

#1692304 - 06/08/11 01:03 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
I don't do anything too interesting except going to work and school. I do collect old coins and I love getting funny monies (foreign coins) from all over the world smile Other than that, I play on the computer and play my piano!

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

#1692311 - 06/08/11 01:34 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Aside from sailing, I am also an avid reader like many here. I read so much that I had to switch to Kindle/Ipad to save space or we'd be drowning in books at my house.

#1692317 - 06/08/11 02:01 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: joyoussong]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Such nice work, Carol!

Besides playing piano, some of the fun things I do are: playing tennis, teaching high school students computer programming, making quilts, and taking care of my 6-year-old grandson.

Here are pictures of some quilts I've finished recently.

#1692320 - 06/08/11 02:19 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Oh, MaryBee, I love those! I have 3 family quilts - one that has embroidered signatures from neighbors of my mother's mother, one that was made from many of my childhood dresses, and one that was made by my aunt - an occupational therapist who also made jewelry and side-tables and paintings and goodness knows what. Yours are great!

Cathy

#1692332 - 06/08/11 03:52 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
make me a quilt!!

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

#1692349 - 06/08/11 05:08 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
boneitis Offline

Loc: California
Thank you guys (joy, mary) for sharing your pottery and quilts. Those were really neat things to see in a thread like this!

As for me: I often (daytrip) hike in the mountains during the Summer. During the Winter, I'm an alpine snowboarder; rather than the tricks and/or powder riding, which are more popular in snowboarding, this kind of riding is more about carving cleanly through groomed snow (also the kind of snowboarding you see when people are racing gates). I feel like I can easily relate to OP (Peyton) in that I'm a regular lurker on a couple alpine snowboarding forums during the Winter. Also, I exercise almost daily. Primarily running (along with some calisthenics)... just around 3 miles in a session, nothing crazy like marathon distances, although I'm usually somewhat religious about trying to get my exercise in every day.

Of course, I also like to enjoy some brews at the bar every once in a while.

Edited by boneitis (06/08/11 05:16 AM)

#1692466 - 06/08/11 10:35 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
joyoussong and MaryBee, beautiful work!

#1692470 - 06/08/11 10:47 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: ladypayne]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
make me a quilt!!

+1!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Merry Christmas!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tension in Kreisleriana #1
by jeffreyjones
7 minutes 25 seconds ago
How to play in non-acoustic room?
by Corvus Corax
Today at 09:46 AM
Recording Audio and Video
by Jytte
Today at 08:48 AM
yamaha U1 deal (expiring in 1 hour)
by clintmiller
Today at 12:06 AM
Le Tic Toc Choc
by dfm
Yesterday at 09:44 PM
Forum Stats
77420 Members
42 Forums
160133 Topics
2351456 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission