Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1693367 - 06/10/11 05:10 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: MaryBee]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: MaryBee

Here are pictures of some quilts I've finished recently.

Gosh, those are really pretty.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1693380 - 06/10/11 06:14 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Go to work. Play guitar. Poke about on the 'puter.

#1693391 - 06/10/11 06:50 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: hawgdriver]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: hawgdriver
Since this has turned into something of a cycling thread, I thought I'd share my wreck yesterday.

I usually ride my bike in to work during the summer. When I bought my house on the south side of Denver, I insisted that it was near the Platte River bike trail. This is a paved trail that is uninterrupted by streets. The trail goes under all of the cross-streets. It's a straight 15 mile shot into downtown. I love it--no rude drivers and stop and go, great exercise, listen to music, just perfect.

Yesterday was my first day riding home from work, and I was stoked. I had gone on some longer rides during the past few weekends, and my legs felt great. I was ready to crush the ride home--just mash the pedals the whole way.

As I was leaving downtown, I made a hard left turn at speed (maybe 15-20 mph), and hit a patch of sand and loose rock. The next thing I felt my left shoulder crunch (it did audibly crunch, but I had already torn my AC ligament in a snowboarding mishap, so I think this time it functioned as a helpful shock-absorbing feature of my anatomy)--and then my head--helmet--slammed the pavement. It was so fast, I went from riding to being a mess on the ground in the same moment.

I stood up immediately. Cool, I can stand up! Quick mental checklist--does anything feel really wrong? No. Quick visual check--Oh, dude, you look nasty (lots of road rash, torn jersey, chainring punctures in leg) I'll spare the pics). Quick check for any broken bones, any serious injury--Nothing! Yeah baby!

Oh no, look at that bike. My bike! My new 2010 TCR Advanced 2! It's on the ground and looks bad! Is it cracked or broken? No, doesn't look like it. Are the wheels ok? Well, the back wheel seems ok, but that front wheel is precessing pretty badly. Handlebars skewed 15° from direction of front wheel, shifters all cattywampus. Oh, my new bike!!!

Well, we made the 15 mile ride home anyway, although the cocked handlebars took some getting used to at first. My bike shop (where I bought the bike, it's the first and only 'official' Giant bicycle store in the country) patched me up--for free--I love those guys. They were able to true the front wheel, but it's a little ovalled. Not too bad, I rode it in this morning and didn't notice it, although I did something to my ribs.

So, I had my first little crash, and it was a blast! Wear your helmets kids!! (I actually think I got a lot of mileage out of all my scrapes because my 2 year old is starting to ride his Strider bike pretty good, and I told him several times how my bo-bo's were not actually that bad, but if I didn't wear my helmet, I'd have super bad head bo-bo's. He seemed quite sincere in his affirmation of future helmet wearing!)

I'm glad you're okay Leon! I'm also glad you shared this scary incident. I'm planning take my first ride of the season this weekend (weather permitting). I never ride without a helmut. You've just reminded me why!

#1693404 - 06/10/11 07:23 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Yes, Cathy, my avatar is one of my paintings. I do a lot of flowers. You can see more at www.mhwatercolornotes.blogspot.com

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1693443 - 06/10/11 09:24 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: mom3gram]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Wow, we are certainly a talented and attractive group. I won't post my picture, since I would drag the super-hunky index way down. smile

Sam

#1693470 - 06/10/11 10:10 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: hawgdriver]
TBrown Offline

Loc: Wilmington, DE
Originally Posted By: TBrown
reading (current kick is the Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle)

I've only read Cryptonomicon. Some of my actuary friends say I would enjoy his other work. Have you read both?

I loved Cryptonomicon and also Snow Crash, so it spurred me to get the Baroque Cycle. It's certainly a different type of writing than Crypto., but I'm enjoying it. It's not what you would normally think of when you think of science fiction, it's more of "historical science fiction," having science and technology of the past play central themes in the books. And of course it's loooong, so tons of characters!

BTW, congrats on the first cycling related crash and glad nobody was seriously injured! Try NuSkin on the road rash, works great!

#1693481 - 06/10/11 10:44 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
mom3gram - those are marvelous! I used to watercolor - 30 years ago - I love them.

Your flower journal is great. I used to carry a 5x8 bound index card book on hikes and camping trips and would write on the lined side and do pencil/colored pencil/crayon sketches of flowers and plants on the unlined side. I have a whole set of journals from a sea-to-shining-sea camping trip I did over 3 months 20 years ago. If I could afford it I'd do that again - I could visit PW members and play pianos all over the country!

Cathy

#1693486 - 06/10/11 10:53 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
autumnchilde Offline

Loc: Staffs, United Kingdom
It's interesting to read other peoples hobbies. I like to read, currently reading an Eckhart Tolle book at the moment. I also sing in a folk choir and I like to do Zumba.
Self Teaching using Alfreds All-in-One Book #1

Working on:
Kum ba ya
London Bridge

#1693523 - 06/10/11 12:21 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: jazzwee]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
JW

I've been there. The E27 could be squirelly on a brisk run. My time on that boat was 20 years ago. It was a red one out of Santa Monica YC called Dragon Lady.

You may or may not know that this venerable Carl Schumacher design is the underbody of the high dollar daysailor made by Tillotson Pearson called the Alerion 28. There weren't many E27's down this way but I understand they still race as a class up on SF bay.

#1693531 - 06/10/11 12:48 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Luke3026 Offline

I work, play guitar, write songs, play chess, garden, weight train, bike, hike, play video games (any BF:BC2 or MW2 players out there?), and the other usual things a homeowner/husband/dad does.

#1693549 - 06/10/11 01:19 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: mom3gram]
Cobra1365 Offline

That picture reminds me of the flowers given to my wife when we were leaving Japan. Some of her English students gave here some clay flowers they made. They were incredibly detailed to the point the maker's finger prints on each petal looked like the viens of the flowers. Looked just like your avatar.

#1693553 - 06/10/11 01:25 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
EP Offline

Loc: USA
My other main interests are working out, hiking with my wife, and competitive pistol shooting. I also cast my own bullets and reload. Piano is my main interest (jazz and classical) but I'm also studying drums, and have a home recording studio.

#1693560 - 06/10/11 01:45 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: mom3gram]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: mom3gram
Yes, Cathy, my avatar is one of my paintings. I do a lot of flowers. You can see more at www.mhwatercolornotes.blogspot.com

I really enjoyed viewing your work, thanks for sharing. In particular, I really liked these:

Jean Grastorf 3 (Sunflower)
Pink and White Tree Peony (your whites are amazing)
Gerald Brommer Day 1 (Barn, the saturated one, really like the colors)
Lots of Leaves
Myrtle Beach Palms (I thought this was a photograph--you really nailed the blues and greens)
Snow and Fog
Pemaquid Point (both the 2007 and the 2006)
White Irises (again, the whites are awesome)
I liked the ACEOs and collages a lot, too

I'm not fit to judge or anything, but I really liked those in particular. I wish I could do that!!

#1693578 - 06/10/11 02:21 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Cathy and Hawgdriver. I'm glad that you liked my watercolors. That is by far my first love, but piano comes in there at second. I think I would be a better painter as well as musician though, if I spent more time doing it instead of reading about it online. LOL

#1693598 - 06/10/11 03:28 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: griffin2417]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: griffin2417
Since this has turned into something of a cycling thread, I thought I'd share my wreck yesterday.

I usually ride my bike in to work during the summer. When I bought my house on the south side of Denver, I insisted that it was near the Platte River bike trail. This is a paved trail that is uninterrupted by streets. The trail goes under all of the cross-streets. It's a straight 15 mile shot into downtown. I love it--no rude drivers and stop and go, great exercise, listen to music, just perfect.

Yesterday was my first day riding home from work, and I was stoked. I had gone on some longer rides during the past few weekends, and my legs felt great. I was ready to crush the ride home--just mash the pedals the whole way.

As I was leaving downtown, I made a hard left turn at speed (maybe 15-20 mph), and hit a patch of sand and loose rock. The next thing I felt my left shoulder crunch (it did audibly crunch, but I had already torn my AC ligament in a snowboarding mishap, so I think this time it functioned as a helpful shock-absorbing feature of my anatomy)--and then my head--helmet--slammed the pavement. It was so fast, I went from riding to being a mess on the ground in the same moment.

I stood up immediately. Cool, I can stand up! Quick mental checklist--does anything feel really wrong? No. Quick visual check--Oh, dude, you look nasty (lots of road rash, torn jersey, chainring punctures in leg) I'll spare the pics). Quick check for any broken bones, any serious injury--Nothing! Yeah baby!

Oh no, look at that bike. My bike! My new 2010 TCR Advanced 2! It's on the ground and looks bad! Is it cracked or broken? No, doesn't look like it. Are the wheels ok? Well, the back wheel seems ok, but that front wheel is precessing pretty badly. Handlebars skewed 15° from direction of front wheel, shifters all cattywampus. Oh, my new bike!!!

Well, we made the 15 mile ride home anyway, although the cocked handlebars took some getting used to at first. My bike shop (where I bought the bike, it's the first and only 'official' Giant bicycle store in the country) patched me up--for free--I love those guys. They were able to true the front wheel, but it's a little ovalled. Not too bad, I rode it in this morning and didn't notice it, although I did something to my ribs.

So, I had my first little crash, and it was a blast! Wear your helmets kids!! (I actually think I got a lot of mileage out of all my scrapes because my 2 year old is starting to ride his Strider bike pretty good, and I told him several times how my bo-bo's were not actually that bad, but if I didn't wear my helmet, I'd have super bad head bo-bo's. He seemed quite sincere in his affirmation of future helmet wearing!)

I'm glad you're okay Leon! I'm also glad you shared this scary incident. I'm planning take my first ride of the season this weekend (weather permitting). I never ride without a helmut. You've just reminded me why!

Thanks Grif. Besides my son jumping on my bruised ribs to wake me up, I'm no worse for wear. Actually, his enthusiastic and unintended ministrations of pain provide a certain effective reveille that my alarm clock is unable to provide.

Despite my skirmish with the pavement and the damage to my bike, I've been able to ride all week. Although it was shown to me that my wheel is now slightly ovular, riding on it provides no clue to the deformity.

#1693617 - 06/10/11 04:13 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: mom3gram]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
mom3gram - Your watercolors are outstanding! I love the sketchbook pages with the writing. Love "Lots of Yellow Tulips" and the Pawley's Island beach house painting. I so admire watercolorists - I found watercolor to be the most difficult medium for me. Just great work! Thanks for sharing these.

#1693640 - 06/10/11 05:23 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: EP]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: EP
...and have a home recording studio.

I'd love one of those.

#1693648 - 06/10/11 05:30 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Sam S]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sam S
Orienteering - I compete with the Georgia Orienteering Club and make maps for them. Next year we are hosting the US Champs on maps that I made. Oh the pressure! Chattahoochee Bend map blog

Sam, that's a really cool skill. I don't make maps, and I'm a novice fieldsman (what is the proper term?) if there was one. We used maps a lot in the military. My best 'orienteering' story is during the 'evasion' portion of our SERE training to become a pilot (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape). We had to travel by moon, and there were 'bad guys' hunting us. We had to be careful not to set off tripwires and whatnot. To add to the ambiance, they would often fire a lot of 50 caliber blanks and other simulated chitter chatter of warfare. You never had enough to eat. It made for good tension and drama.

The gist of it was that each night you had to orient to a checkpoint about 4-6km distance, using whatever landmarks there were (often none), set and then periodically check your heading, and count paces for distance.

We traveled in groups of three--our team was 3 people. I was with an Army cadet who had been through a kind of baby-Ranger program and a UC Boulder ROTC gal (almost as oxymoronic as UC Berkeley ROTC, which was actually my #2 option behind the AF Academy).

On our final night, our map told us the best way to get to our checkpoint was to go through a valley--but the map didn't fully capture how murky and pondlike the valley was. UC Boulder began crying, unable to continue, much preferring we retrace our path and begin anew. That probably wouldn't cut it in a combat situation. She mustered her courage and trudged ahead.

Well, we kept trucking toward our checkpoint, but lassitude overcame my companions, and they decided they preferred to just stop looking for the checkpoint and, well, just stop. Although it was summertime, we were up at 9-10k in altitude, and in the night it was a bit chilly. I realized I was becoming hypothermic, so told my companions I would check a bit further to see if I could find the checkpoint.

Lo and behold, our checkpoint was hardly another 200m ahead. It was a struggle to rouse my party; I wonder how we would have fared had we surrendered to the cold night's insidious slumber. We made our way to the glowstick and found our treasure: sleeping bags.

As an A-10 pilot, maps were a huge part of my military career. We usually relied on 1:50's for most of our plotting, but also used 1:100's and 1:250s for navigation. Rarely we might use a 1:20, but that was only for certain scenarios (some urban warfare type scenarios, perhaps.)

My best friend left active duty to work for ESRI, a GIS software company. So he makes mapping software and GIS programs now. While he was on active duty he made a program that converted UTM to WGS, which was a lot harder (mathematically and algorithmically) than he anticipated.

Anyway, just wanted to share that I'm an admirer of maps--especially those that are accurate and keep you from freezing to death! Or bombing your buddies!

Edited by hawgdriver (06/10/11 05:32 PM)

#1693761 - 06/10/11 11:16 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
mivaldes Offline

I do find it interesting that many of us love to read. I find it interesting that many of us love apocolyptic books. Thanks for the new recommendations.

I've done many of the things mentioned on this list, but I'll add one: hang gliding in my younger days (before kids). Did about 3 dozen solo flights off of Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga, TN and one tandem flight off of Mt. Haleakala on Maui from 10000 feet to the beach. Amazing flight.

Marcus

#1693835 - 06/11/11 06:50 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: hawgdriver]
Cobra1365 Offline

As an A-10 pilot, maps were a huge part of my military career. We usually relied on 1:50's for most of our plotting, but also used 1:100's and 1:250s for navigation. Rarely we might use a 1:20, but that was only for certain scenarios (some urban warfare type scenarios, perhaps.)

I have a Nav working for me that would have jumped on that comment! I can hear him yelling "CHARTS!" "THEY"RE CALLED CHARTS! MAPS ARE FOR PEOPLE THAT GET LOST DRIVING TO AUNT MILLY'S!" grin grin
He loves giving pilots a hard time about navigational things. One of my pilots brought his young son into the office and the boy walked up to the Nav's desk and looked up at the globe and said "Ball!" The Nav just shook his head and said "Typical Pilot's Kid!" grin

#1693925 - 06/11/11 11:43 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
My interests are pretty common. I like to garden, cook, and read. I enjoy french cooking when I have the time, and preferably from older cookbooks. I read all kinds of things, and have gotten into the habit of having 2-3 books going at a time. I'm also trying really really hard to make exercise some sort of hobby, but I haven't quite gotten there yet.

Oh, and sometimes it's fun to just go somewhere tacky and just take it all in. Like to some borderline restaurant where the service is spotty and the patrons are perfect stereotypes. If you're in the right mood for it, it's a lot of fun.

#1693935 - 06/11/11 12:09 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
hawgdriver - I hope you got a new helmet after that crash!

mom3gram - I love watercolors. Your "Tulip Magnolia" is just beautiful. I also especially like the monochrome "Snow Scene".

Monica K - No, I can't sell my quilts because before I'd do that, I'd have to first finish quilts for all the people on my long give-away list. I don't think I'll ever get to the bottom of that. And now there are two more people on it: lady payne and Peyton smile

#1693959 - 06/11/11 02:26 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
Peyton's question was "What else do you do?", given a little thought I guess my answer would be "Not a lot", well not a lot of excitement these days, in the past, early 70s, I deviated from my chosen career path by becoming skipper on a deep sea angling boat and tried my hand at making a living by Diving for Scallops and Crawfish. I now pass my time by cycling around three times per week, hill walking and general country rambling, we have an excellent system of public footpaths, bridleways and by-ways here in the UK and I'm lucky enough to live right in the middle of some of the prettiest countryside in England. I also own an RV (Motorhome) which is much like owning a boat, there's always something needs doing to it, in fact, I often say it took over my life after a bought it. I'm also a member of the "Read-a-lot" Club. So, there it is....boring.

#1694197 - 06/12/11 08:53 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you, CMohr and MaryBee.

#1694394 - 06/12/11 02:59 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
fieldflower Offline

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Play bass guitar in a band. Should practice at home I guess, but with 2 little kids there's just no time plus I hate playing bass with earphones and those frequencies aren't kids-sleeping-friendly...

Play guitar and sing. Mostly at home but have played in front of people a handful of times. This I can do without the kids waking up so I guess I get an hour of playing a day or so.

Used to read a lot and play computer games but that'll have to wait a while.

Hope to add "Playing the piano" to the list in the near future, but we'll see when the funding allows me (or if my wife has something like that planned for my 40th birtday which is just around the corner..)

#1694530 - 06/12/11 07:25 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: TBrown]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Photography is my main thing-I have a deviant art account as well as a photography blog. Big into macro-Ilove it!

Other hobbies include astronomy(rarely done these days!), reading, listening to blues radio, trying to play guitar and drooling over shiny black pianos!

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#1694563 - 06/12/11 08:33 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Besides the piano, and I can get sick of it sometimes, there's the violin, Macbook, iPhone, iPad, iMac, and making short music video clips for YouTube.

Can someone tell me to get a life?

#1694583 - 06/12/11 09:00 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I've been stuck at home due to a temporary medical condition for the past several weeks so I made this on my back patio.

#1694619 - 06/12/11 09:48 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
I like how you doubled up all of your rafters Sparky. Very creative knee braces too. Be sure to protect all that wood with a penetrating linseed oil and pigment base. You may have already, hard to tell from the pics.

Very nice job. Some Ladybanks roses would fill out that pergola nicely.

#1694620 - 06/12/11 09:51 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
That's impressive, Sparky! wow It makes me wonder what you could produce if you WEREN'T on sick leave! eek

p.s. Welcome to the forum, mivaldes and fieldflower! smile

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
88 registered (barbaram, aesop, barmassimo, Atrys, accordeur, 22 invisible), 1192 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295899 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
08/01/14 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
08/01/14 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
08/01/14 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
08/01/14 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
07/31/14 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission