Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1691566 - 06/06/11 07:49 PM What else do you do?
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Just curious what other hobbies folks here are into? Other forums? Piano takes up a few hours of my mornings almost every day but I also enjoy scuba diving (when I can get to the BVI's,) skeet shooting (I compete), telemark skiing (my winter business), painting (my job), sailing and I used to fly when I could afford it. In the winter I'm on telemark forums almost as much as this forum. I also post on a skeet forum.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1691578 - 06/06/11 08:15 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Orienteering - I compete with the Georgia Orienteering Club and make maps for them. Next year we are hosting the US Champs on maps that I made. Oh the pressure! Chattahoochee Bend map blog

Hiking - I volunteer for the Georgia Appalachian Trail club and maintain a mile of the AT at Hawk Mt in Georgia, including the shelter and privy. Ewww! Hawk Mt Shelter

Reading - is this a hobby? I read - a lot. I'm not afraid to admit it. Just finished a bio of Brahms by Jan Swafford - very interesting. Starting one now about Charles Ives by the same author. I keep my library indexed at librarything.com

I've been woodworking for decades: Some of my woodworking projects

Sam

#1691580 - 06/06/11 08:18 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sam, those wood "projects" are amazing! That dobro (along with all the others) looks beautiful.

#1691583 - 06/06/11 08:28 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
piRround Offline

Loc: Yarmouth, Maine
The harpsichord is stunning! I also like the dobro. Sam, do you sleep? If so, when do you find the time?

I also read a lot, I kayak, bike and try to XC ski.

#1691615 - 06/06/11 09:19 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Estudio español. En agosto, llevará a doce niños a Guadalajara para un intercambio que dura un mez entero. Los niños son del quinto grado y ellos ya entienden el español. En febrero, recibimos los estudiantes para sus mez en los E.U. De hecho, debo estar estudiando ahora mismo en vez de estar aqui chismeando.

I play the recorder in an early music group.

I try really hard not to beat my children.

I'm the only man on my block who mows his own lawn.

Kurt

#1691619 - 06/06/11 09:23 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Michael Steen Offline

Loc: Sciota, Pennsylvania
I play chess online and against my computer. Sometimes tournaments.

I also read a lot. Just finished "The Count of Monte Cristo" on my Kindle.

In warm weather a huge lot of lawn mowing and wood cutting for the winter.

Sam's got me whupped, though. I've got nothing like that to show. I'd post a picture of the banana bread I just made, but I ate it.

#1691625 - 06/06/11 09:41 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
JR_YC Offline

Loc: Rochester Hills, MI
I also play guitar, mountain bike, and run.

#1691628 - 06/06/11 09:45 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Reading, chess, and programming.

#1691635 - 06/06/11 10:12 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
I gig with 2 bands and play in a rehearsal band. Ride road bikes, a single speed and a fixed gear. I am on the keyboard forum, roadbike review forum, the truth about cars and the Kia 3rd generation Sportage forum. The rest of the time, who knows? I play scales and sightread

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#1691647 - 06/06/11 10:37 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I *used* to ski race and rock climb, and folk dance, but I've got so many piano projects now those have gone by the wayside. I'm the main sound person at contra dances, tho.

But I play every Weds night with an open band, and we gig many times a year.

I play 3 times a month at senior centers.

I'm trying to get a rag and a gospel piece up to snuff so I can talk them in to letting me enter the miscellaneous instruments contest at the SW Bluegrass Festival in August.

I'm working on getting my old big-band and swing pieces familiar enough to improv so our new electric guitarist and a fiddler from another band can play for some regualr swing dances.

Other than piano I deliver meals to shut-ins once a week.

I work part-time smile

Cathy

#1691673 - 06/06/11 11:19 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I play pool in amateur leagues. (American Pool Players Association) I play 8 ball, 9 ball, straight pool, 1 pocket, banks, etc...etc.....

Classic cars. I own a 1966 Ford Mustang and a 1959 Chevrolet Impala. My Mustang took 3rd place in a Mustang show 2 weeks ago!

Pictures of my Mustang
http://gallery.me.com/realtaylor/100045

I am a recovering computer geek-oholic. I use to build/upgrade/repair pc's. I am now a Mac "user"

Edited by Michael Taylor (06/06/11 11:29 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1691711 - 06/07/11 12:32 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
When my last hobby inadvertently ended, I needed a new hobby, so I had the bright idea to learn how to play the piano. This is my only hobby.

I have young children, so I think that having one hobby at this point is sort of a luxury. laugh

#1691724 - 06/07/11 01:01 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Sam, what beautiful woodwork!

Michael, congratulations on switching to Mac! (better late than never)

I tutor English and Social Studies for a living, mostly kids, mostly high school age, though I have 2 younger ones right now & I occasionally get uni students.

I'm involved with a lobby group to keep our community outdoor swimming pool from closing (for the first 6 years) & now to get it rebuilt (for the last 2). That involves writing lots of letters, going to meetings, & attending municipal council & park board meetings every once in a while. I'm also on the strata council in my condo building.

I've been making pottery for about 40 years (sorry, no photos) & volunteer one half day a week in the pottery studio of a community arts centre.

And I have 2 balconies, on which I attempt to grow flowers & an assortment of vegetables.

Oh yah, & I read a lot, & like to cook.

#1691738 - 06/07/11 01:23 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Mainly skydiving, golf, cycling, but a bunch of other stuff too long to list.

I used to play a lot of volleyball and racquetball.

I used to run a lot. Ah, heck with it--we shall do the LIST!

At one time or another, I've been big into chess, snowboarding, pistol shooting, reading, computer games, board games, MTG, developing websites, dreaming up business plots, powerlifting, karate, boxing, rugby, baseball, softball, deep-sea fishing, snowmobiling, autocross, guitar, building computers, scuba diving, squash, philosophy, botany, biology, linguistics, travel, ugh...have I lost my audience? I kinda want to go on. Modern (serious?) comic books, sci-fi, horror movies, trivia games, photography, video production, watercolor, poetry, hiking, backpacking, trains, singing, church, tennis, OMG MAKE HIM STOP!

I really want to do it all before I leave this place.

#1691740 - 06/07/11 01:24 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: joyoussong]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: joyoussong
I've been making pottery for about 40 years (sorry, no photos)

???

Why not??

#1691747 - 06/07/11 01:52 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
My claim to fame was being a member of the mens U.S diving team (1 meter, 3 meter) from 1993-1997 under Olympic coach Alan Spreen. I placed 2nd at the 1997 indoor nationals.

These days I spend most of my time enjoying motorsports of all kinds. I can even wheelie my backhoe!

I just finished welding together a 4,000 lb grizzly rock screen, replaced the solenoid on my P.O.S lawn tractor and forced grease into the bushings of my skip loader since a few of the zerk fittings got smashed.

I enjoy taking long rides deep into the forest on our Polaris Ranger and of course cruising the Colorado River on our Craigcat surfboard-boat-thing.

I could go on and on. We all could!

#1691750 - 06/07/11 02:05 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I love bicycling when I can find a large block of time. Our city has a great system of bike trails through parkland areas. These trails also connect to a metro commuter bike trail system.

I'm looking forward to hitting the trails in a few days when the weather cools off, and things ease up at work. A bike ride is a great stress reducer!

#1691755 - 06/07/11 02:31 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Hi Peyton,

I used to paint (oils and acrylics), but not much time now, unfortunately (full-time job - medical transcription). Sometimes I'll just pick up a pencil and do a little sketch, though. smile

http://www.box.net/shared/d59vz972xt

Edited by Elssa (06/07/11 02:52 AM)

#1691797 - 06/07/11 05:27 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
I spend my free time listening to music, when I’m not playing the piano. I’m interested on acoustic matters as well, in order to get a very good quality sound in my listening room (acoustic analyzers, equalizers...).

Congratulations for your Spanish, KurtZ. It's much better than my English wink .

My website

#1691809 - 06/07/11 06:17 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
IanW Offline

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
Good to see another climber on the forum. Is there another sport more wildly incompatible with piano playing? In my case a permanently dog-legged pinky adds to the challenge I suppose.

#1691818 - 06/07/11 07:03 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Hey Peyton - thanks for asking.

I'm teaching myself to play golf and working at it very tenaciously, maybe spending more time (and definitely more money) on it than on the piano (which I'm also self-teaching).
I'm now shoting in the mid 80s - which isn't too bad (and no, that isn't for the first 9 holes laugh ).

Golf is a great game - if you don't take it too seriously (as they always say). But, everyone takes it seriously, at least at the start. I have that under control though - so far I've only broken 3 clubs by slamming them against trees out of frustration mad But it's an easy game to play - badly. Which I never cease to find new ways to demonstrate.

In my wild and crazy middle age I used to do biathlons, triathlons and marathons - but that was during my mid-life crises. I traveled alot to participate - from Maine to Florida. I Still can't believe I did these insane events - it was so damn time consuming and exhausting. But it was cheaper and less hazardous than driving fast sports cars and chasing wild women (or is that wild sports cars and fast women?)

I spend my spare time (if any) working my way slowly, but efficiently, through my wife's "honey-do list" (which strangely seems to be interminable).

Trap

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1691822 - 06/07/11 07:16 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I knew this would be an interesting thread... smile

Hawgdriver, you should just list what you have never done. Might be shorter. (Needlepoint?... )

Super hunk... wow, you were a member of the US Dive team? That's pretty awesome. My dad was a great diver, probably not up to your caliber, and he taught me a good deal when I was a kid. My signature dive was the half gainer. If I tried that today, assuming I didn't slam the back of my head on the board, I would most likely end up in a back brace.

TrapperJohn, I tried golf one summer. That's got to be one of the most frustrating games on the planet. If you ever need any extra clubs just let me know... although I think mine are mostly bent in round tree like arcs....

I didn't mention horseback riding mostly because my horse, Shakota, is getting so old now that we just don't ride like we used to. I also just restored a 1927 Merrymeeting Gunning Float (a very cool looking duck boat with a long sharp bow for cutting through marsh grass and a hole in the back for a sculling oar).

Edited by Peyton (06/07/11 07:49 AM)

#1691826 - 06/07/11 07:44 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Singing, reading, jogging (whenever I don't feel lazy). But the past 2 months have been mostly piano and solfege.

Recitals:

#1691835 - 06/07/11 07:58 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
KeemaNan Offline

Loc: UK
Interesting thread indeed. I'm a bit of a dilettante who likes to dabble in all sorts, but the only constants apart from music are fly fishing (mostly trout, occasional forays into salt) and cricket (watching, not playing). Surprised noboby's mentioned fly fishing yet, but maybe the set of fly-fishers and the set of piano players don't overlap very much. I would not be surprised however, to be the only person on here who likes cricket (or even knows what it is) !

#1691837 - 06/07/11 08:00 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
I know what it is! Maybe I'd like it too if there was someone to play with here.

Recitals:

#1691844 - 06/07/11 08:24 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
I used to play a lot more sports (softball, tennis, etc.) but I pretty much just stick to working out with weights and golf. I do some sketching and watercolor painting, but not lately.

There are a lot of similarities between golf and piano, but one of the great attractions of golf is that while I'll never play Carnagie Hall, I have played Pebble Beach, Doral, Torrey Pines, Olympia Fields.....etc.!
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

#1691864 - 06/07/11 09:32 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Stanza]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Stanza
I used to play a lot more sports (softball, tennis, etc.) but I pretty much just stick to working out with weights and golf. I do some sketching and watercolor painting, but not lately.

There are a lot of similarities between golf and piano, but one of the great attractions of golf is that while I'll never play Carnagie Hall, I have played Pebble Beach, Doral, Torrey Pines, Olympia Fields.....etc.!

It's interesting that you bring up the similarities you perceive between golf and playing piano. It might make an interesting thread for folks to draw similarities between various activities and playing piano. I've thought the same thing only between, of all things, skeet shooting and playing piano. In fact, I will sometimes shoot better if I shoot soon after practicing piano (not the other way around). I've tried to put my finger on it and some of the things I see are #1. fundamentals. As in piano there are basic fundamentals that, once you master, make for better shooting. In piano it's posture, hand position, finger control, rhythm amongst other things. In shotgunning it's eye on target, follow through, hold position, eye position, stance and head in the gun amongst other things. #2. Playing (shooting) all the way through without a mistake. In skeet the goal is to get through all eight stations without missing thus "going straight". But if you do miss (as in make a mistake in playing a piece) you need to let it go and focus on the next target. In piano, when performing, that is key in not letting one mistake snowball into a disaster.

Probably one similarity between most sports and playing piano is practice. When teaching skiing I will often ask my student if he or she plays an instrument. I will then point out how important proper practice is in order to play a piece. You don't just sit down and play it (Unless you are a master reader and even then that ability has come from years of practice). And yet few skiers will "practice". And when we practice playing we will usually isolate whatever it is we are practicing; be it a measure or a particular way a few notes need to be played. But how often will learning skiers just practice pole planting or down unweighting or whatever.

Anyway... I obviously have too much time on my hands this morning....

#1691917 - 06/07/11 11:44 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

I thought I'd share a couple of skydiving related links.

Here's our 4-way team at 2005 nationals. Can you guess which one is me?

Here's clip of some footage launching exits from a twin otter.

Golf and piano: real success seems to come when you stop demanding it of yourself, and begin to let yourself just play.

Edited by hawgdriver (06/07/11 11:47 AM)

#1691933 - 06/07/11 11:57 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Reading is my other main recreational passion besides piano. My family is still on our post-apocalyptic literature kick; we've got literally an entire bookcase full of the stuff (and I just ordered "Robocalypse" from amazon, and it looks really good).

I am also on a determined effort not to go quietly into middle-aged bodily ruin. Last December we got a family membership at our local Y, and I've been working out 5-6 times a week for 50-55 minutes a session on various ellipticals ever since. One would think that the pounds would be vanishing rapidly with that routine, but alas, no. I shudder to think of what I'd look like if I *weren't* doing all those workouts, though. eek

#1691939 - 06/07/11 12:19 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
TBrown Offline

Loc: Wilmington, DE
Seems like the ABers out there also have the shared interest of collecting hobbies!

I, too, am among that group! Here goes the list:
Cycling (road, mountain, and my transportation to work every day), computer graphics (blender mainly, Brim Studio for a little intro to that), knitting (currently making my first sweater!), reading (current kick is the Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle), rolling ball sculptures, yard work, house work, movies, gadgets, and together with my wife am preparing for our first dog to come home in a few weeks (Bernese Mountain dog who is about 4 weeks old today!).

WHEW! I'm tired just listing them all. Surprised I actually have time for a day job...speaking of, should get back to that!

#1691941 - 06/07/11 12:21 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Monica, did you ever read Swan Song by R. McCammon?

#1691948 - 06/07/11 12:37 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
clayts Offline

Loc: Banned
played chess for 12 years got sick of being beat by kids so decided to become a pianist just like all you lovely beautiful pianists on this forum.

#1691956 - 06/07/11 12:53 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
Yardwork. Lots and lots of yardwork. Someday, I'd like to get it to the point when I can call it "gardening," as that name implies an activity requiring less than a backhoe, 8HP rototiller, and 4-wheel-drive string trimmer.

Other than that, adjusting to being an empty-nester, computer stuff; I find creating and maintaining websites actual fun, bicycling, spinning/weaving/knitting, reading, camping, fishing. Garage sale-ing is a fun way to spend an early Saturday morning, and we keep a vintage MG sports car up and running. Working on getting the FJ-40 Landcruiser going again...LOTS of open land around here to explore and we like to go looking for ghost towns. I'd like to get back into dog agility as well, having acquired a rescue pup (my avatar) who's quite the athlete if you can get her attention. Also love to cook and bake, and am starting a class in oenology. I expect to be an 'A' student there! wink

#1691958 - 06/07/11 12:59 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: JeanieA]
clayts Offline

chess, martial arts, computers.i, am, the, music, man and. ,i, can, play,i can play the piano the, piano, piano, piano, pia, pia, piano, pia, piano,

#1691968 - 06/07/11 01:08 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: clayts]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Okay, I was going to not bother then changed my mind...
Clayts; "How is the new red piano that you was meant to get last thursday?" You haven't mentioned it.
It's possible you may have "ignore Rostosky" switched on, so could someone else ask?
Thanks.

Edited by Rostosky (06/07/11 01:08 PM)
Edit Reason: Wife said "sarcasm was way over the top"

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1691977 - 06/07/11 01:23 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
clayts Offline

I have learnt that the best thing thing to do with idiots is ignore them, don,t be a pillock all your life have a rest day, or were you born stupid or have you had special training?

#1691979 - 06/07/11 01:30 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: IanW]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: IanW
Good to see another climber on the forum. Is there another sport more wildly incompatible with piano playing? In my case a permanently dog-legged pinky adds to the challenge I suppose.

I bet it does. I'm not doing much climbing lately, not since I lost my lead head. Maybe it will come back someday.

Lots of backpacking and hiking on weekends. It really cuts down on my piano practice, which is a drag. But I couldn't live without the mountains.

#1691984 - 06/07/11 01:37 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Thanks for switching "ignore" off. I am glad we are friends again. I was just worried that something may have gone wrong with the delivery guys, you know what they are like allways stopping for tea and stuff.
I do like Pollock, I think it is an underated fish, and am glad some members list fishing as one of their other hobbies. Do you prefer Pollock or hake?
I was born what the medics called "slightly stupid" but have indeed had special training, I went to a state school to get this special training, How did you guess?
Would you like me to upload a photo of my favourite music teacher from school, he thought I may have potential and said so in my leaving report.
It's only a small photo.

Edited by Rostosky (06/07/11 01:39 PM)
Edit Reason: Accidently thought Clayts might not be my friend anymore, was mistaken.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1691988 - 06/07/11 01:40 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Monica K.]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Reading is my other main recreational passion besides piano. My family is still on our post-apocalyptic literature kick; we've got literally an entire bookcase full of the stuff (and I just ordered "Robocalypse" from amazon, and it looks really good).

Monica, have you read Earth Abides by George R. Stewart? Classic everybody-else-is-dead-and-I'm-the-only-one-left novel.

Sam

#1692066 - 06/07/11 03:20 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I forgot to mention my baseball card collection. I collected baseball cards from the mid-70's until the late 80's. More recently I have been purchasing older cards from the 50's and 60's.
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1692072 - 06/07/11 03:27 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Monica it seems that other members are interested in the novels you have read but I'm still stuck on the sweaty gym workout images.

Any chance of you posting a few pics?

#1692136 - 06/07/11 05:18 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Cobra1365 Offline

Let's see...

I recently started collecting Curios and Relics firearms. I own a Mosin Nagant 91/30, Chinese SKS, CZ-82 and an old Winchester Bolt action .22. My wife and I love to cruise. We do P90X (although on hiatus until my shoulder heals). Used to fly. But, right now, my biggest time consumer other than piano and household maintenance is the rebuild of my engine for my toy...

Edited by Cobra1365 (06/07/11 08:13 PM)

#1692153 - 06/07/11 06:08 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Cobra1365]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Peyton, I also sail, although I sold my boat a while back so have to scratch around for crew opportunities. Used to race J-24's. Play a lot of texas hold em poker (live, not online) and checked off a bucket list item when I played in a WSOP event last year. Have always fished, both fresh and salt. Ride a bike for exercise. Piano is by far the most difficult hobby I've ever taken up and expect it will take a decade or more to get any good at it.

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#1692161 - 06/07/11 06:29 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: JimF]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JimF
Peyton, I also sail, although I sold my boat a while back so have to scratch around for crew opportunities. Used to race J-24's. Play a lot of texas hold em poker (live, not online) and checked off a bucket list item when I played in a WSOP event last year. Have always fished, both fresh and salt. Ride a bike for exercise. Piano is by far the most difficult hobby I've ever taken up and expect it will take a decade or more to get any good at it.

Jim

The J-24 is such a sweet racing boat. I used to race 23' Tempests. They took the place of the Star during the 76 olympics and were wicked fun and fast. Full keel with a trapeze. Wish I still had mine but had to give them up when I had kids. Ended up with a 25' "family" sailboat.

#1692162 - 06/07/11 06:31 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: hawgdriver]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: hawgdriver
I thought I'd share a couple of skydiving related links.

Here's our 4-way team at 2005 nationals. Can you guess which one is me?

Here's clip of some footage launching exits from a twin otter.

Golf and piano: real success seems to come when you stop demanding it of yourself, and begin to let yourself just play.

Hawgdriver... very cool! Must have been one heck of a bungie to pull you all back into the plane like that. laugh

#1692213 - 06/07/11 08:51 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: mr_super-hunky
Monica it seems that other members are interested in the novels you have read but I'm still stuck on the sweaty gym workout images.

No frigging way. eek

But I'm happy to blather on about post-apocalyptic fiction all you or anybody else wants. laugh

Speaking of which, yes, I've got and have read both "Swan Song" and "Earth Abides." smile Neither of them, though, would make my top five, which would probably consist of 'The Passage,' 'The Road,' 'World War Z,' 'Everything Matters,' and 'One Second After.'

#1692229 - 06/07/11 09:38 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I'm positively boring compared to most of you lot. My main other pastime is reading. I read voraciously - mostly the two E's - histories and mysteries. grin

I dabble in photography, hike a bit, fish a bit and generally annoy my wife (which I seem to be quite talented at.} Years ago I was into power boating and golf, but I had to give them both up due to lack of funds and nearby water in one case and back pain in the other.

flickr

#1692270 - 06/07/11 11:30 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Lord Akela Offline

Loc: Philippines
Play videogames. I'm good enough to be considered a low-tier league player for a particular FPS game, but I didn't really bother since lots of people take it way too seriously and flip out at small mistakes even if they were unavoidable.

Game development, a hobby since high school.

Drawing and animation, though not as much as before. I'm not super great. I'm saving up or a good tablet so I can get serious with frame-by-frame animation. I really want to make a short frame-by-frame animation.

I used to read a lot of books, but I don't have any new books right now and I don't know what to read. I read whatever I get my hands on though. I think the last one I read was Zombie Survival Guide.

Ever since I started working I had to put much less time on some hobbies. I pretty much only have about 2-3 hours every night on weekdays. Right now I'm focusing on the piano and game development. Kinda bummer that I can't do everything.

#1692284 - 06/08/11 12:24 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

OK - I tried to post some photos of my pottery, but I think the best I can manage is a link. I think I did it! The first 2 photos are Cone 6 porcelain pieces with carved surfaces. We just switched to that firing range last summer. The vases are about 8 inches high, the tea bowls smaller. The 3rd photo is a slip-decorated rice storage jar, Cone 04 (earthenware) from a couple of years ago. It's about 20 inches high.

Edited by joyoussong (06/08/11 12:37 AM)

#1692285 - 06/08/11 12:24 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Lord Akela, you ever play Amnesia? My favorite game ever.

#1692287 - 06/08/11 12:26 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Carol - I love the penguins! And I love bowls - yours are really nice.

Cathy

#1692293 - 06/08/11 12:40 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: Peyton
Peyton, I also sail, although I sold my boat a while back so have to scratch around for crew opportunities.
Jim

The J-24 is such a sweet racing boat. I used to race 23' Tempests. They took the place of the Star during the 76 olympics and were wicked fun and fast. Full keel with a trapeze. Wish I still had mine but had to give them up when I had kids. Ended up with a 25' "family" sailboat.

Hey guys-- I still race. From One-design to now PHRF. Now I do a lot of Race Officer stuff on the side. Tomorrow is Wednesday Night Racing over here. Last Wednesday we had 8 foot waves and 30 knots for excitement smile They cancelled the race though.

Racing and Piano are both pretty tough to do...

Too bad you guys are far away. I could always use crew.

#1692304 - 06/08/11 01:03 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
I don't do anything too interesting except going to work and school. I do collect old coins and I love getting funny monies (foreign coins) from all over the world smile Other than that, I play on the computer and play my piano!

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

#1692311 - 06/08/11 01:34 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Aside from sailing, I am also an avid reader like many here. I read so much that I had to switch to Kindle/Ipad to save space or we'd be drowning in books at my house.

#1692317 - 06/08/11 02:01 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: joyoussong]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Such nice work, Carol!

Besides playing piano, some of the fun things I do are: playing tennis, teaching high school students computer programming, making quilts, and taking care of my 6-year-old grandson.

Here are pictures of some quilts I've finished recently.

#1692320 - 06/08/11 02:19 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Oh, MaryBee, I love those! I have 3 family quilts - one that has embroidered signatures from neighbors of my mother's mother, one that was made from many of my childhood dresses, and one that was made by my aunt - an occupational therapist who also made jewelry and side-tables and paintings and goodness knows what. Yours are great!

Cathy

#1692332 - 06/08/11 03:52 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
make me a quilt!!

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

#1692349 - 06/08/11 05:08 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
boneitis Offline

Loc: California
Thank you guys (joy, mary) for sharing your pottery and quilts. Those were really neat things to see in a thread like this!

As for me: I often (daytrip) hike in the mountains during the Summer. During the Winter, I'm an alpine snowboarder; rather than the tricks and/or powder riding, which are more popular in snowboarding, this kind of riding is more about carving cleanly through groomed snow (also the kind of snowboarding you see when people are racing gates). I feel like I can easily relate to OP (Peyton) in that I'm a regular lurker on a couple alpine snowboarding forums during the Winter. Also, I exercise almost daily. Primarily running (along with some calisthenics)... just around 3 miles in a session, nothing crazy like marathon distances, although I'm usually somewhat religious about trying to get my exercise in every day.

Of course, I also like to enjoy some brews at the bar every once in a while.

Edited by boneitis (06/08/11 05:16 AM)

#1692466 - 06/08/11 10:35 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
joyoussong and MaryBee, beautiful work!

#1692470 - 06/08/11 10:47 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: ladypayne]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
make me a quilt!!

+1!

#1692472 - 06/08/11 10:56 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
Lots of cyclists here. Am I the only recumbent rider? I've also been windsurfing for the past 26 years.
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1692478 - 06/08/11 11:08 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: jotur]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
Carol - I love the penguins! And I love bowls - yours are really nice.

Cathy

They are beautiful. The colors on the bowls are really great.

#1692481 - 06/08/11 11:16 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Besides the spanish and the other stuff, I've also ridden bicycles enthusiastically ( I hate the term "serious" bike rider). I've also sailed quite a bit. I had a 23 footer of my own that got me and the wife to Catalina in the time before kids. We've crewed on a big boat to Baja California a couple of times and I raced for two seasons as rail meat and grinder on an Express 27 out of Marina del Rey. Sadly, I sold my boat; the owners of the race boat sold theirs and the owner of the big boat, turned out to be an alcoholic [censored]. After averaging several thousand miles a year and almost 400 hundred miles in one 3 week span, I put my good bike up for a little rest. It's still up but I'm an avid transportation cyclist and do as many of my errands on the bike as I can.

I guess all pianists like to read; I'm no exception. My favorites are Patrick O'brian and John Steinbeck. Those are the ones I revisit over and over.

Kurt

#1692497 - 06/08/11 12:03 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Wow, I knew this lot was a group of talented musicians, but look at all the other talents! I'm speechless!

Sam- love your wood work ! In particular the cherrywood jewellery cabinet!
Carol - great pottery - (we have quite a collection of pottery , both westcoast Canadian and Italian!)

MaryBee - the quilts are stunning. My Mom did quilting for a while, but I never got into it.

What do I do to amuse myself when not playing piano?
I like cycling. We have a lot of bike paths here, some are paved and go along wonderful canals and otherss are dirt paths through the woods.

I read (got a Kindle from Dad for Christmas, it is fun, but I generally prefer the traditional book format!)
As Sam said, the "Es" --- Mysteries and histories - love them both. I enjoy both biographical histories and historical fiction - but I'm also very particular...the fiction can't mess with facts (or if it does, the author has to expressly state that he/she has changed something to suit the story).

I've recently become interested in trying to do watercolours. I haven't really painted anything yet, I'm learning how to create different effects and understand how it all works.

I love cooking - make my own pasta sometimes, have recently figured out meringues and soufleés.

I play guitar and clarinet but both have rather been abandoned since I took up piano.

#1692500 - 06/08/11 12:12 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
I have 4 bikes. A carbon fiber Pedal Force RS2 - weighs about 16 lbs with pedals, etc - with 10 speed campy (lots of carbon) chorus; a steel Gios Compact Pro with 10 speed (aluminium) chorus; a Gios frame fixed gear; and a cannondale Caad5 framed single speed. I love cycling. I work as managing attorney at a legal aid office and often ride the 8 miles (one way) to and from work. If I didn't have to work I could practice all day.

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#1692514 - 06/08/11 12:57 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Since this has turned into something of a cycling thread, I thought I'd share my wreck yesterday.

I usually ride my bike in to work during the summer. When I bought my house on the south side of Denver, I insisted that it was near the Platte River bike trail. This is a paved trail that is uninterrupted by streets. The trail goes under all of the cross-streets. It's a straight 15 mile shot into downtown. I love it--no rude drivers and stop and go, great exercise, listen to music, just perfect.

Yesterday was my first day riding home from work, and I was stoked. I had gone on some longer rides during the past few weekends, and my legs felt great. I was ready to crush the ride home--just mash the pedals the whole way.

As I was leaving downtown, I made a hard left turn at speed (maybe 15-20 mph), and hit a patch of sand and loose rock. The next thing I felt my left shoulder crunch (it did audibly crunch, but I had already torn my AC ligament in a snowboarding mishap, so I think this time it functioned as a helpful shock-absorbing feature of my anatomy)--and then my head--helmet--slammed the pavement. It was so fast, I went from riding to being a mess on the ground in the same moment.

I stood up immediately. Cool, I can stand up! Quick mental checklist--does anything feel really wrong? No. Quick visual check--Oh, dude, you look nasty (lots of road rash, torn jersey, chainring punctures in leg) I'll spare the pics). Quick check for any broken bones, any serious injury--Nothing! Yeah baby!

Oh no, look at that bike. My bike! My new 2010 TCR Advanced 2! It's on the ground and looks bad! Is it cracked or broken? No, doesn't look like it. Are the wheels ok? Well, the back wheel seems ok, but that front wheel is precessing pretty badly. Handlebars skewed 15° from direction of front wheel, shifters all cattywampus. Oh, my new bike!!!

Well, we made the 15 mile ride home anyway, although the cocked handlebars took some getting used to at first. My bike shop (where I bought the bike, it's the first and only 'official' Giant bicycle store in the country) patched me up--for free--I love those guys. They were able to true the front wheel, but it's a little ovalled. Not too bad, I rode it in this morning and didn't notice it, although I did something to my ribs.

So, I had my first little crash, and it was a blast! Wear your helmets kids!! (I actually think I got a lot of mileage out of all my scrapes because my 2 year old is starting to ride his Strider bike pretty good, and I told him several times how my bo-bo's were not actually that bad, but if I didn't wear my helmet, I'd have super bad head bo-bo's. He seemed quite sincere in his affirmation of future helmet wearing!)

#1692530 - 06/08/11 01:32 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Monica K. Offline

hawgdriver, that is truly a scary story. eek So glad to hear you were not seriously injured!

MaryBee, do you sell your quilts? Have you ever set up at the Woodland Arts Fair in Lexington? I bought a beautiful quilt there a couple of years ago that looks very much like your style.

#1692616 - 06/08/11 04:54 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or/Las Vegas, Nv
Well maybe I'll join in. I am also a woodworker. Although I don't have many pictures of my work handy. I'll have to check. Built alot of stuff for around the house. Dining table, writing desk, entertainment center. Refinished my Claredon upright piano. It was in really sad shape, but the action and soundboard where solid. My wife is a runner so I try to keep up with her. We run some local 5ks. Wife took 1st in her class at our last outing. Me, best is a fourth. I've gone up in age group but it doesn't look like it will help much. Maybe this season will will try some longer races.

Since I retired (golly,10 years now) I rebuilt a 1956 ford f100 pickup, but I sold it a couple years ago. I used to play golf quite a bit, but not so much anymore. I try to stay away from bicycles and motorcylces, too dangerous. Maybe I should take up skydiving (Although I don't know why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, unless its on fire.)

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller

#1692628 - 06/08/11 05:11 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Monica K.]
Cobra1365 Offline

No frigging way. eek

But I'm happy to blather on about post-apocalyptic fiction all you or anybody else wants. laugh

Speaking of which, yes, I've got and have read both "Swan Song" and "Earth Abides." smile Neither of them, though, would make my top five, which would probably consist of 'The Passage,' 'The Road,' 'World War Z,' 'Everything Matters,' and 'One Second After.'

HAHAH At the nofriggin way

"One Second After" is one of my favorite books! Scary realism and entertaining at the same time!

You may also want to try "Without Warning" by John Birmingham and his sequel "After America. Another good one is The War After Armageddon by Raplh Peters.

#1692670 - 06/08/11 06:05 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Peyton - Oooooo, a trapeze. I never raced with one. The Tempest sounds like a lot of fun.

Jazzwee-
Quote:
Last Wednesday we had 8 foot waves and 30 knots for excitement
I remember a day at the J-24 nationals in Key West like that. Makes a starting line with 200 overpowered J-24's playing chicken really exiciting.

Another reader here. Have had a Kindle since the first week they came out and think they are great. Kinda strange tastes in books sometimes though. Like histories, used to read spy novels but the end of the cold war ruined the genre. Read a chemistry text recently and was amazed at all the things I knew nothing about. Those who like history and sciences might take a look at "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, which was a fun read.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1692677 - 06/08/11 06:16 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Well JimF, today looks peaceful! 8-10 knots. So you now know when I'm not on ABF or practicing piano smile (which will be in a moment). I used to leave a little Yamaha PSR little keyboard on my boat (battery powered) but no longer.

If you're doing nationals, you sound like a hotshot. One my sailing coaches many years back has won the J24 Nationals (and other classes). Very competitive class.

KURTZ - It's always possible we've encountered each other on the water on one of these races. Did you do Wednesday night Sunset Series? Always the biggest thing on MDR. I don't recall an Express 27 lately though. I usually know all the boats.

#1692683 - 06/08/11 06:34 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Kurtz -- I hope this wasn't you...:)

#1692772 - 06/08/11 10:11 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Cobra1365]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: Cobra1365

"One Second After" is one of my favorite books! Scary realism and entertaining at the same time!

You may also want to try "Without Warning" by John Birmingham and his sequel "After America. Another good one is The War After Armageddon by Raplh Peters.

I've got the Birmingham books, but I appreciate the tip on the Peters book... it's winging its way from amazon right now. smile

#1692774 - 06/08/11 10:16 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Monica K.]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mr_super-hunky

No frigging way. eek

The Road would be on my top 1 list. Swan Song just kinda jumped out at me for some reason. I'm excited, now I've got some other books to look into. If you liked The Road, I'll bet I like those other books in that list.

#1692955 - 06/09/11 01:53 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Zuul Offline

Along with playing(trying) piano, I also play guitar, drums, bass, lift weights, run, draw, reading comics has been a recent interest and I also build things. I'm working on a clubhouse for my step daughter at the moment. No pictures yet though.

Homemade arcade - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN0avLuY1ak
Homemade piano cabinet - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLEjbn4SXmY

Guitar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3mgsmyewfM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-3yPKbatSQ

Drums - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pTg2_eOzGg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1mNrcZXG7U

Tons of other stuff less interesting. Electronics and computers. But that's what I do at work so I don't mess with it too much at home, usually. Quality time with my soldering iron is always fun. My old roommate and I are kicking around the idea of drawing a comic. But we'll see where that goes.... if anywhere.

Blah, blah, blah.

-Z

#1692959 - 06/09/11 01:59 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: hawgdriver]
CMohr Offline

Loc: Oregon
Sam-Your carpentry is amazing! I love the lamp.
Michael Taylor- Beautiful mustang! My husband used to have a mustang just like yours, same color - is yours a '66 or '67?
Elssa- Really great sketch of your cat, I love it.
Hawgdriver - You win the "dare devil hobbyist" award! So which one are you in the pic?

I do lots of other things besides piano. I snow ski (mostly cross-country now), I'm a printmaker (woodcuts, lithographs, screeprints, etc.). I've taught printmaking at the university and local art center for years. I train our dog(s) in obedience and tracking. I read alot, too. I always have a book going. We sail also. Quite a few sailors here! Thought I post a couple pics - we race every week and sail for fun. So, Hawgdriver, I'll let everyone guess which one is me, too. laugh

Here's a few more sailing pics if anyone is interested. We are certainly no hot shots, but have a ton of fun!

Sailing pics

#1692963 - 06/09/11 02:02 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Nice CMohr! Is that a Santana 525? Amazing condition.

#1692969 - 06/09/11 02:11 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: jazzwee]
CMohr Offline

Hey JW! Yes, a Santana 525. There used to be quite a few 525s racing, but most have now gone to Wavelengths, so they have a decent fleet. Racing tonight and the weather is beautiful, finally!

#1692981 - 06/09/11 02:41 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: CMohr]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CMohr
Hawgdriver - You win the "dare devil hobbyist" award! So which one are you in the pic?

I'm the one that's in the picture without the cool boat and attractive women... wink

I'm trying to channel my inner Mr. S-H, is it working?

Ok, I'm top left in the team pic.

Y'all are making me interested in boats. My folks have kept a boat on Lake Shasta for a long time. I went out a lot to the lake when I grew up, fishing and wakeboarding. I've always thought I'd like to have a boat, but Colorado is less that ideal for water enthusiasts.

#1692993 - 06/09/11 03:00 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: CMohr]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CMohr
Hey JW! Yes, a Santana 525. There used to be quite a few 525s racing, but most have now gone to Wavelengths, so they have a decent fleet. Racing tonight and the weather is beautiful, finally!

Wavelengths are great too. All these boats are West Coast type boats so the people on the east are not familiar with them.

We did our racing last night and weather was awesome. Peaceful waters for a change.

You really did a great job of keeping your boat looking good. Very nice paint job. Everything looks perfect. And with lake sailing, you don't have to deal so much with the huge waves we get on the ocean.

#1693001 - 06/09/11 03:10 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: CMohr]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

JW - Nice knockdown. Hotshot? LOL. No way. I went to nationals as rail meat before I got my own J. If you've ever crewed on a J-24 you know how beat up you get. I eventually wised up and decided the easiest job was skipper so I got my own.

CMohr - Oh, she's a beauty. Nice pics.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1693016 - 06/09/11 03:26 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: JimF]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

JW - Nice knockdown. Hotshot? LOL. No way. I went to nationals as rail meat before I got my own J. If you've ever crewed on a J-24 you know how beat up you get. I eventually wised up and decided the easiest job was skipper so I got my own.

JimF, yup, J24's have that reputation smile I haven't crewed in ages but my boat has a contingent of 8 so I don't to worry about muscle power so much anymore. Keeps my fingers safe for piano. LOL.

And I have experienced many a broach on a 20 footer. My boat's a little bigger now so it's a little more relaxed even in the big waves.

#1693049 - 06/09/11 04:20 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Johan B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
What else do you do??.....mmmmmm......let's think.....playing piano and did I mention piano-playing.....

Some reading....and working.....arghhh

Best regards,
Johan B

Currently working on:Sonaten of Haydn/Mozart, Suites Bach/Hndel, Sonate pathetique Beethoven
'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

#1693168 - 06/09/11 07:41 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: hawgdriver]
CMohr Offline

Marybee-Your quilts are gorgeous! Love the bright colors.
Carol-I love your pottery - I tried throwing a few times, not as easy as I thought. I'm envious of your bowls!

I'm the one that's in the picture without the cool boat and attractive women... wink

I'm trying to channel my inner Mr. S-H, is it working?

Ok, I'm top left in the team pic.

Channeling Mr. S-H seems to be working just fine laugh Ah, so you're the cute one....oh-oh, Mr. S-H traits strike again! grin Off to sail!

#1693182 - 06/09/11 08:11 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

CMohr ~ any photos of your prints? I'd love to see them. I did some printmaking in art school, & sporadically afterwards, but it's been years since I've done any.

#1693196 - 06/09/11 08:49 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I am a serious watercolorist, and at any given time I've also experimented with oils, pastels, pen and ink, collage, silk screen printing, wood carving, Ukranian eggs, etc.

I used to be an avid camper and fly fisher, but I reluctantly gave that up after my husband passed away. I miss it, but am too old to sleep outdoors and hike streams by myself. Not to mention too out of shape.

Reading, stamp collecting, photography.

I belong to a senior tap dancing group and perform in their yearly show.

The past two years I've played basketball in the New Jersey Senior Olympics women's 60+ age category. We lost all four of our games last year, but got the silver medal because only one of the other teams was in our age group. The others were at least 10 years younger. BTW, I had never played Bball before this. Just saw a flyer at the Y and thought it might be fun.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1693198 - 06/09/11 08:56 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: mom3gram]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mom3gram
I am a serious watercolorist

Love to see some of your work if you don't mind sharing.

#1693202 - 06/09/11 09:06 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: TBrown]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TBrown
reading (current kick is the Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle)

I've only read Cryptonomicon. Some of my actuary friends say I would enjoy his other work. Have you read both?

#1693236 - 06/09/11 10:08 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: BenPiano]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
When my last hobby inadvertently ended, I needed a new hobby, so I had the bright idea to learn how to play the piano. This is my only hobby.

I have young children, so I think that having one hobby at this point is sort of a luxury. laugh

I was an avid golfer for almost a decade (throughout my 30s), but then reality set in...I have no natural talent and had to work my arse off just to be a 25 handicap.

Like Ben, I need a constant hobby, so I decided to "relearn" piano - initially to help my daughter and learn with her. My story here is a familiar one that I've told before...I skipped all my kid stuff and went right to playing full Joplin scores. smile

2.5 years later, I'm now on my 5th rag, and learned a few other non-rag pieces along the way.

Young children and wife who works night shift (which makes me a part-time single parent) have kept me from pursuing my own interests with any consistency, so I'm vastly under-accomplished with piano (and a little lazy too), and now a non-golfer (though I still watch it on tv).

I'm also a life-long reader and fitness buff - things I don't consider "hobbies" because I've done them all my life...hmmm..what else. YouTube and PianoWorld, of course! grin

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1693248 - 06/09/11 10:46 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

mom3gram - is your avatar one of your paintings?

Basketball - that's on my wannabe list smile My niece was really good at it in high school, but didn't pursue it. She's only 5' 6", which is short these days for college ball. And I'm, uh, much shorter than that. But Senior Olympics would be fun. One of these days - I knew you were an inspiration to me laugh

Cathy

#1693367 - 06/10/11 05:10 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: MaryBee]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: MaryBee

Here are pictures of some quilts I've finished recently.

Gosh, those are really pretty.

#1693380 - 06/10/11 06:14 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Go to work. Play guitar. Poke about on the 'puter.

#1693391 - 06/10/11 06:50 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: hawgdriver]
griffin2417 Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Since this has turned into something of a cycling thread, I thought I'd share my wreck yesterday.

I usually ride my bike in to work during the summer. When I bought my house on the south side of Denver, I insisted that it was near the Platte River bike trail. This is a paved trail that is uninterrupted by streets. The trail goes under all of the cross-streets. It's a straight 15 mile shot into downtown. I love it--no rude drivers and stop and go, great exercise, listen to music, just perfect.

Yesterday was my first day riding home from work, and I was stoked. I had gone on some longer rides during the past few weekends, and my legs felt great. I was ready to crush the ride home--just mash the pedals the whole way.

As I was leaving downtown, I made a hard left turn at speed (maybe 15-20 mph), and hit a patch of sand and loose rock. The next thing I felt my left shoulder crunch (it did audibly crunch, but I had already torn my AC ligament in a snowboarding mishap, so I think this time it functioned as a helpful shock-absorbing feature of my anatomy)--and then my head--helmet--slammed the pavement. It was so fast, I went from riding to being a mess on the ground in the same moment.

I stood up immediately. Cool, I can stand up! Quick mental checklist--does anything feel really wrong? No. Quick visual check--Oh, dude, you look nasty (lots of road rash, torn jersey, chainring punctures in leg) I'll spare the pics). Quick check for any broken bones, any serious injury--Nothing! Yeah baby!

Oh no, look at that bike. My bike! My new 2010 TCR Advanced 2! It's on the ground and looks bad! Is it cracked or broken? No, doesn't look like it. Are the wheels ok? Well, the back wheel seems ok, but that front wheel is precessing pretty badly. Handlebars skewed 15° from direction of front wheel, shifters all cattywampus. Oh, my new bike!!!

Well, we made the 15 mile ride home anyway, although the cocked handlebars took some getting used to at first. My bike shop (where I bought the bike, it's the first and only 'official' Giant bicycle store in the country) patched me up--for free--I love those guys. They were able to true the front wheel, but it's a little ovalled. Not too bad, I rode it in this morning and didn't notice it, although I did something to my ribs.

So, I had my first little crash, and it was a blast! Wear your helmets kids!! (I actually think I got a lot of mileage out of all my scrapes because my 2 year old is starting to ride his Strider bike pretty good, and I told him several times how my bo-bo's were not actually that bad, but if I didn't wear my helmet, I'd have super bad head bo-bo's. He seemed quite sincere in his affirmation of future helmet wearing!)

I'm glad you're okay Leon! I'm also glad you shared this scary incident. I'm planning take my first ride of the season this weekend (weather permitting). I never ride without a helmut. You've just reminded me why!

#1693404 - 06/10/11 07:23 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, Cathy, my avatar is one of my paintings. I do a lot of flowers. You can see more at www.mhwatercolornotes.blogspot.com

#1693443 - 06/10/11 09:24 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: mom3gram]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wow, we are certainly a talented and attractive group. I won't post my picture, since I would drag the super-hunky index way down. smile

Sam

#1693470 - 06/10/11 10:10 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: hawgdriver]
TBrown Offline

Loc: Wilmington, DE
Originally Posted By: TBrown
reading (current kick is the Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle)

I've only read Cryptonomicon. Some of my actuary friends say I would enjoy his other work. Have you read both?

I loved Cryptonomicon and also Snow Crash, so it spurred me to get the Baroque Cycle. It's certainly a different type of writing than Crypto., but I'm enjoying it. It's not what you would normally think of when you think of science fiction, it's more of "historical science fiction," having science and technology of the past play central themes in the books. And of course it's loooong, so tons of characters!

BTW, congrats on the first cycling related crash and glad nobody was seriously injured! Try NuSkin on the road rash, works great!

#1693481 - 06/10/11 10:44 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

mom3gram - those are marvelous! I used to watercolor - 30 years ago - I love them.

Your flower journal is great. I used to carry a 5x8 bound index card book on hikes and camping trips and would write on the lined side and do pencil/colored pencil/crayon sketches of flowers and plants on the unlined side. I have a whole set of journals from a sea-to-shining-sea camping trip I did over 3 months 20 years ago. If I could afford it I'd do that again - I could visit PW members and play pianos all over the country!

Cathy

#1693486 - 06/10/11 10:53 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
autumnchilde Offline

Loc: Staffs, United Kingdom
It's interesting to read other peoples hobbies. I like to read, currently reading an Eckhart Tolle book at the moment. I also sing in a folk choir and I like to do Zumba.
Self Teaching using Alfreds All-in-One Book #1

Working on:
Kum ba ya
London Bridge

#1693523 - 06/10/11 12:21 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: jazzwee]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

JW

I've been there. The E27 could be squirelly on a brisk run. My time on that boat was 20 years ago. It was a red one out of Santa Monica YC called Dragon Lady.

You may or may not know that this venerable Carl Schumacher design is the underbody of the high dollar daysailor made by Tillotson Pearson called the Alerion 28. There weren't many E27's down this way but I understand they still race as a class up on SF bay.

#1693531 - 06/10/11 12:48 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Luke3026 Offline

I work, play guitar, write songs, play chess, garden, weight train, bike, hike, play video games (any BF:BC2 or MW2 players out there?), and the other usual things a homeowner/husband/dad does.

#1693549 - 06/10/11 01:19 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: mom3gram]
Cobra1365 Offline

That picture reminds me of the flowers given to my wife when we were leaving Japan. Some of her English students gave here some clay flowers they made. They were incredibly detailed to the point the maker's finger prints on each petal looked like the viens of the flowers. Looked just like your avatar.

#1693553 - 06/10/11 01:25 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
EP Offline

Loc: USA
My other main interests are working out, hiking with my wife, and competitive pistol shooting. I also cast my own bullets and reload. Piano is my main interest (jazz and classical) but I'm also studying drums, and have a home recording studio.

#1693560 - 06/10/11 01:45 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: mom3gram]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mom3gram
Yes, Cathy, my avatar is one of my paintings. I do a lot of flowers. You can see more at www.mhwatercolornotes.blogspot.com

I really enjoyed viewing your work, thanks for sharing. In particular, I really liked these:

Jean Grastorf 3 (Sunflower)
Pink and White Tree Peony (your whites are amazing)
Gerald Brommer Day 1 (Barn, the saturated one, really like the colors)
Lots of Leaves
Myrtle Beach Palms (I thought this was a photograph--you really nailed the blues and greens)
Snow and Fog
Pemaquid Point (both the 2007 and the 2006)
White Irises (again, the whites are awesome)
I liked the ACEOs and collages a lot, too

I'm not fit to judge or anything, but I really liked those in particular. I wish I could do that!!

#1693578 - 06/10/11 02:21 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Cathy and Hawgdriver. I'm glad that you liked my watercolors. That is by far my first love, but piano comes in there at second. I think I would be a better painter as well as musician though, if I spent more time doing it instead of reading about it online. LOL

#1693598 - 06/10/11 03:28 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: griffin2417]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: griffin2417

I'm glad you're okay Leon! I'm also glad you shared this scary incident. I'm planning take my first ride of the season this weekend (weather permitting). I never ride without a helmut. You've just reminded me why!

Thanks Grif. Besides my son jumping on my bruised ribs to wake me up, I'm no worse for wear. Actually, his enthusiastic and unintended ministrations of pain provide a certain effective reveille that my alarm clock is unable to provide.

Despite my skirmish with the pavement and the damage to my bike, I've been able to ride all week. Although it was shown to me that my wheel is now slightly ovular, riding on it provides no clue to the deformity.

#1693617 - 06/10/11 04:13 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: mom3gram]
CMohr Offline

mom3gram - Your watercolors are outstanding! I love the sketchbook pages with the writing. Love "Lots of Yellow Tulips" and the Pawley's Island beach house painting. I so admire watercolorists - I found watercolor to be the most difficult medium for me. Just great work! Thanks for sharing these.

#1693640 - 06/10/11 05:23 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: EP]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: EP
...and have a home recording studio.

I'd love one of those.

#1693648 - 06/10/11 05:30 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Sam S]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sam S
Orienteering - I compete with the Georgia Orienteering Club and make maps for them. Next year we are hosting the US Champs on maps that I made. Oh the pressure! Chattahoochee Bend map blog

Sam, that's a really cool skill. I don't make maps, and I'm a novice fieldsman (what is the proper term?) if there was one. We used maps a lot in the military. My best 'orienteering' story is during the 'evasion' portion of our SERE training to become a pilot (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape). We had to travel by moon, and there were 'bad guys' hunting us. We had to be careful not to set off tripwires and whatnot. To add to the ambiance, they would often fire a lot of 50 caliber blanks and other simulated chitter chatter of warfare. You never had enough to eat. It made for good tension and drama.

The gist of it was that each night you had to orient to a checkpoint about 4-6km distance, using whatever landmarks there were (often none), set and then periodically check your heading, and count paces for distance.

We traveled in groups of three--our team was 3 people. I was with an Army cadet who had been through a kind of baby-Ranger program and a UC Boulder ROTC gal (almost as oxymoronic as UC Berkeley ROTC, which was actually my #2 option behind the AF Academy).

On our final night, our map told us the best way to get to our checkpoint was to go through a valley--but the map didn't fully capture how murky and pondlike the valley was. UC Boulder began crying, unable to continue, much preferring we retrace our path and begin anew. That probably wouldn't cut it in a combat situation. She mustered her courage and trudged ahead.

Well, we kept trucking toward our checkpoint, but lassitude overcame my companions, and they decided they preferred to just stop looking for the checkpoint and, well, just stop. Although it was summertime, we were up at 9-10k in altitude, and in the night it was a bit chilly. I realized I was becoming hypothermic, so told my companions I would check a bit further to see if I could find the checkpoint.

Lo and behold, our checkpoint was hardly another 200m ahead. It was a struggle to rouse my party; I wonder how we would have fared had we surrendered to the cold night's insidious slumber. We made our way to the glowstick and found our treasure: sleeping bags.

As an A-10 pilot, maps were a huge part of my military career. We usually relied on 1:50's for most of our plotting, but also used 1:100's and 1:250s for navigation. Rarely we might use a 1:20, but that was only for certain scenarios (some urban warfare type scenarios, perhaps.)

My best friend left active duty to work for ESRI, a GIS software company. So he makes mapping software and GIS programs now. While he was on active duty he made a program that converted UTM to WGS, which was a lot harder (mathematically and algorithmically) than he anticipated.

Anyway, just wanted to share that I'm an admirer of maps--especially those that are accurate and keep you from freezing to death! Or bombing your buddies!

Edited by hawgdriver (06/10/11 05:32 PM)

#1693761 - 06/10/11 11:16 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
mivaldes Offline

I do find it interesting that many of us love to read. I find it interesting that many of us love apocolyptic books. Thanks for the new recommendations.

I've done many of the things mentioned on this list, but I'll add one: hang gliding in my younger days (before kids). Did about 3 dozen solo flights off of Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga, TN and one tandem flight off of Mt. Haleakala on Maui from 10000 feet to the beach. Amazing flight.

Marcus

#1693835 - 06/11/11 06:50 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: hawgdriver]
Cobra1365 Offline

As an A-10 pilot, maps were a huge part of my military career. We usually relied on 1:50's for most of our plotting, but also used 1:100's and 1:250s for navigation. Rarely we might use a 1:20, but that was only for certain scenarios (some urban warfare type scenarios, perhaps.)

I have a Nav working for me that would have jumped on that comment! I can hear him yelling "CHARTS!" "THEY"RE CALLED CHARTS! MAPS ARE FOR PEOPLE THAT GET LOST DRIVING TO AUNT MILLY'S!" grin grin
He loves giving pilots a hard time about navigational things. One of my pilots brought his young son into the office and the boy walked up to the Nav's desk and looked up at the globe and said "Ball!" The Nav just shook his head and said "Typical Pilot's Kid!" grin

#1693925 - 06/11/11 11:43 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
My interests are pretty common. I like to garden, cook, and read. I enjoy french cooking when I have the time, and preferably from older cookbooks. I read all kinds of things, and have gotten into the habit of having 2-3 books going at a time. I'm also trying really really hard to make exercise some sort of hobby, but I haven't quite gotten there yet.

Oh, and sometimes it's fun to just go somewhere tacky and just take it all in. Like to some borderline restaurant where the service is spotty and the patrons are perfect stereotypes. If you're in the right mood for it, it's a lot of fun.

#1693935 - 06/11/11 12:09 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
hawgdriver - I hope you got a new helmet after that crash!

mom3gram - I love watercolors. Your "Tulip Magnolia" is just beautiful. I also especially like the monochrome "Snow Scene".

Monica K - No, I can't sell my quilts because before I'd do that, I'd have to first finish quilts for all the people on my long give-away list. I don't think I'll ever get to the bottom of that. And now there are two more people on it: lady payne and Peyton smile

#1693959 - 06/11/11 02:26 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
Peyton's question was "What else do you do?", given a little thought I guess my answer would be "Not a lot", well not a lot of excitement these days, in the past, early 70s, I deviated from my chosen career path by becoming skipper on a deep sea angling boat and tried my hand at making a living by Diving for Scallops and Crawfish. I now pass my time by cycling around three times per week, hill walking and general country rambling, we have an excellent system of public footpaths, bridleways and by-ways here in the UK and I'm lucky enough to live right in the middle of some of the prettiest countryside in England. I also own an RV (Motorhome) which is much like owning a boat, there's always something needs doing to it, in fact, I often say it took over my life after a bought it. I'm also a member of the "Read-a-lot" Club. So, there it is....boring.

#1694197 - 06/12/11 08:53 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you, CMohr and MaryBee.

#1694394 - 06/12/11 02:59 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
fieldflower Offline

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Play bass guitar in a band. Should practice at home I guess, but with 2 little kids there's just no time plus I hate playing bass with earphones and those frequencies aren't kids-sleeping-friendly...

Play guitar and sing. Mostly at home but have played in front of people a handful of times. This I can do without the kids waking up so I guess I get an hour of playing a day or so.

Used to read a lot and play computer games but that'll have to wait a while.

Hope to add "Playing the piano" to the list in the near future, but we'll see when the funding allows me (or if my wife has something like that planned for my 40th birtday which is just around the corner..)

#1694530 - 06/12/11 07:25 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: TBrown]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Photography is my main thing-I have a deviant art account as well as a photography blog. Big into macro-Ilove it!

Other hobbies include astronomy(rarely done these days!), reading, listening to blues radio, trying to play guitar and drooling over shiny black pianos!

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#1694563 - 06/12/11 08:33 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Besides the piano, and I can get sick of it sometimes, there's the violin, Macbook, iPhone, iPad, iMac, and making short music video clips for YouTube.

Can someone tell me to get a life?

#1694583 - 06/12/11 09:00 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I've been stuck at home due to a temporary medical condition for the past several weeks so I made this on my back patio.

#1694619 - 06/12/11 09:48 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I like how you doubled up all of your rafters Sparky. Very creative knee braces too. Be sure to protect all that wood with a penetrating linseed oil and pigment base. You may have already, hard to tell from the pics.

Very nice job. Some Ladybanks roses would fill out that pergola nicely.

#1694620 - 06/12/11 09:51 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Monica K. Offline

That's impressive, Sparky! wow It makes me wonder what you could produce if you WEREN'T on sick leave! eek

p.s. Welcome to the forum, mivaldes and fieldflower! smile

#1694631 - 06/12/11 10:08 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Interesting question...looking forward to hearing the responses.
I read philosophy and communication theory (McLuhan, Heidegger, Levinas at the moment). I show my dogs in conformation, herding, and obedience so go camping and traveling a bit to do that. I spend time with my ever growing family.

Love to learn

#1694633 - 06/12/11 10:12 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: hawgdriver]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

I really want to do it all before I leave this place.

I love it!!! Me too...My life long list is similar and I want to do it all.

Love to learn

#1694718 - 06/13/11 02:31 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Sparky McBiff]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Originally Posted By: Sparky McBiff
I've been stuck at home due to a temporary medical condition for the past several weeks so I made this on my back patio.

Cool- you should look into luthiery-looks like the bracing inside a guitar!

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#1695139 - 06/13/11 08:09 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
Eighty8 Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH
Zuul
Impressive pedal work. Drums - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pTg2_eOzGg

#1695232 - 06/13/11 11:56 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
di52 Offline

Loc: Franklin MA USA
I knit and run and play in a over-30 women's softball league. Also I enjoy red wine and Fox News.

[img] http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/MOYD_2010_v2.jpg [/img]

#1695235 - 06/14/11 12:07 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
I will say like John Lennon - with whom I share a birthday. He said, when the Beatles were introduced on some occasion: I play the guitar and sometimes I play the fool.

Except I play the piano.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#1695466 - 06/14/11 12:56 PM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
clayts Offline

i play football for an over fifties team i am sixty but the piano keeps me fit as playing the piano is an excelent exercise that keeps you fit for for other things like martial arts and chess

#1695923 - 06/15/11 08:10 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: autumnchilde]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: autumnchilde
It's interesting to read other peoples hobbies. I like to read, currently reading an Eckhart Tolle book at the moment. I also sing in a folk choir and I like to do Zumba.

Tell me more about Tolle. My daughter wants me to do Zumba with her...we're thinking about it. Do you go somewhere or use tapes at home?

Love to learn

#1695926 - 06/15/11 08:13 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: Peyton]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mary Bee
The quilts are gorgeous

Love to learn

#1696301 - 06/16/11 07:21 AM Re: What else do you do? [Re: WiseBuff]
autumnchilde Offline

Loc: Staffs, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: WiseBuff
Originally Posted By: autumnchilde

Tell me more about Tolle. My daughter wants me to do Zumba with her...we're thinking about it. Do you go somewhere or use tapes at home?

Hi, regarding Tolle, it can be a bit heavy going and thought provoking so I am making slow progress with the book. I'm reading "A New Life".

I do Zumba at a local class, you can do it with DVD's and also you can buy games to do on your Xbox or Wii but It's more fun to join a class, we have such a laugh and its an excellent work out.
Self Teaching using Alfreds All-in-One Book #1

Working on:
Kum ba ya
London Bridge

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Who's Online
119 registered (A Guy, alfredo capurso, accordeur, anotherscott, ando, 34 invisible), 1317 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158402 Topics
2326166 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission