Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1691841 - 06/07/11 08:08 AM Synthology Ivory 2 on MacBook Pro....
stavroski Offline

Loc: Liverpool, UK
Guys,

Looking for anyone with experience of running Ivory 2 on a bog standard 2011 MacBook Pro 13" with Snow Leopard and Logic Studio 9 (i5 processor, 4GB ram, 320GB 5400rpm drive). The Ivory 2 sounds amazing, however I'm quite concerned that the samples won't load and stream adequately from the disk for live playing and so am wanting to find out before splashing out on this add on. I know my MacBook has the new thunderbolt interface (apparrently up to 10GB/sec io) and I was considering waiting until some HDD's become available on that to use that for my sample library storage. In the meantime, if anyone with a similar setup has any experience of how it will work, I would love to know how you found it...... I know it will vary depending upon the type of music played, however for the purposes of this post, I play a lot of fairly straightforward but classical sounding material where sometimes a lot of polyphony is needed, especially with the damper held down.

Cheers

Stavroski
Yamaha EX5
Roland XV3080
Muse Receptor Rev.C
East West Bosendorfer 290 amongst others....

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1692464 - 06/08/11 10:31 AM Re: Synthology Ivory 2 on MacBook Pro.... [Re: stavroski]
jazzonebyone Offline

Loc: sc
My experience doesn't apply exactly, but here it is.
I've been using Ivory(I) with a pre-Intel Powerbook. Ivory would not stream well off of the original 5400 rpm internal drive. I changed the internal drive to a 7200 rpm unit and had no more problems.

#1692473 - 06/08/11 11:00 AM Re: Synthology Ivory 2 on MacBook Pro.... [Re: stavroski]
CyberGene Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Synthogy, not Synthology.

#1692536 - 06/08/11 01:42 PM Re: Synthology Ivory 2 on MacBook Pro.... [Re: stavroski]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California

Do the standard "free" piano samples strem off the disk OK? Ivory does not stream the bits off the dis any faster nor does it stream more bits. The amount of data read from the disk depends only on the polyphony NOT on the number of layers or the size of the library.

The Macbook should be able to run Ivory and several over audio plug ins all at the same time.

This seems to be a common misconception that large sample libraries some how means that more data well be read off the disk during performance. Not true at all. Say there are 50 sample layers per note. that is a huge amount of data but when you play a note only one of those 50 are read off the disk, the other 49 are not accessed at all. Same as if there were three sample layers, then one is processed and two are not.

Originally Posted By: stavroski
Guys,

Looking for anyone with experience of running Ivory 2 on a bog standard 2011 MacBook Pro 13" with Snow Leopard and Logic Studio 9 (i5 processor, 4GB ram, 320GB 5400rpm drive). The Ivory 2 sounds amazing, however I'm quite concerned that the samples won't load and stream adequately from the disk for live playing and so am wanting to find out before splashing out on this add on. I know my MacBook has the new thunderbolt interface (apparrently up to 10GB/sec io) and I was considering waiting until some HDD's become available on that to use that for my sample library storage. In the meantime, if anyone with a similar setup has any experience of how it will work, I would love to know how you found it...... I know it will vary depending upon the type of music played, however for the purposes of this post, I play a lot of fairly straightforward but classical sounding material where sometimes a lot of polyphony is needed, especially with the damper held down.

Cheers

Stavroski

#1692558 - 06/08/11 02:19 PM Re: Synthology Ivory 2 on MacBook Pro.... [Re: stavroski]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Indeed. And with disk caching, much of the data (once accessed) will be memory-resident ... and very fast.

#1693394 - 06/10/11 06:55 AM Re: Synthology Ivory 2 on MacBook Pro.... [Re: stavroski]
stavroski Offline

Loc: Liverpool, UK
Thanks for the responses guys.

In the end, after a mail from the support people at Synthogy (see I got the spelling right at last :)), they recommended an external HDD for samples. As I already exprienced a slowdown in performance from my MacBook since installing my EW Symphonic Orchestra Gold, I think this is a sensible way to go anyway to ensure the system HDD stays clutter free. I got an external 7200rpm firewire 800, and this should do the trick nicely for all sample libraries according the support people.

Anyway, contrary to what I was looking for, after spending the last day or two deciding about Ivory 2 and listening to the demos of the newest sampled pianos out there, I decided against it and went with the Galaxy Vintage D. I think the interface looks really slick on that, the options seem fab and the sound of the piano speaks for itself I believe. Although, that's personal preference I'm sure.

I will let you know how I get on.....

stavroski
Yamaha EX5
Roland XV3080
Muse Receptor Rev.C
East West Bosendorfer 290 amongst others....

#2036231 - 02/20/13 05:02 AM Re: Synthology Ivory 2 on MacBook Pro.... [Re: stavroski]
Albatrossone Offline

Hi there

I've read lots of posts and articles saying a Macbook Pro will run Ivory II fine. But nothing on polyphony and I was wondering what people have been able to achieve?

I've found that to really get a level of realism and be able to hear all the echos and reverberation like you would get in an acoustic, the polyphony needs to be at least 300.

With Ivory on an internal SSD and a dual core i7 macbook pro, would I be able to achieive this?

Cheers
Nick

Edited by Albatrossone (02/20/13 05:03 AM)

#2036240 - 02/20/13 06:32 AM Re: Synthology Ivory 2 on MacBook Pro.... [Re: Albatrossone]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

The polyphony will depend on the access time of the hard drive and the interface. If you use an external drive with a Macbook Pro it should be firewire 800, USB 3, or Thunderbolt. I'd highly recommend an SSD for access time based on my experience and measurements. A 7200 rpm drive is borderline slow with high polyphony on the latest Ivory II American D piano.

Where did you get the 300 voice polyphony idea? Was that from actually using Ivory II (if so, which of its pianos)? Or from using some other software piano. Be advised that polyphony is not counted the same way on all software pianos. In any event, I think 300 voices is overkill for Ivory II. I believe about 100 voices is adequate. You should get 250 or more voices with an SSD in my experience with Ivory II.

Here is a link to a detailed post I wrote on this subject.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2036280 - 02/20/13 08:33 AM Re: Synthology Ivory 2 on MacBook Pro.... [Re: Macy]
Albatrossone Offline

Thanks for the link - will check it out. 300 is based on me playing and thats what I needed to set it to so I didn't max it out. This is using both the Italian Grand and American D.

I want to be able to hear all the decays and reverberation that I should be hearing when playing. Yes Ivory is very good at disguising disappearing notes if this is set lower - but the instrument feels much less rich and full without keeping the count high. All the decaying notes become a rich swell of sound that you need to use the pedal to control. An acoustic piano is much like that. With lower voice counts - certainly 100 and below you don;t particularly need to worry about overpedaling because this swell is quickly damped by the polyphony limit.

Edited by Albatrossone (02/20/13 08:35 AM)

#2036297 - 02/20/13 09:08 AM Re: Synthology Ivory 2 on MacBook Pro.... [Re: Albatrossone]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Albatrossone
Thanks for the link - will check it out. 300 is based on me playing and thats what I needed to set it to so I didn't max it out. This is using both the Italian Grand and American D.

This baffles me profoundly. As Macy says, different software products measure polyphony differently but unless you are layering many instruments my imagination does not permit me to see how you could use 300 notes of polyphony in a real-world context. You might need to clear the pedal once in a while.

#2036343 - 02/20/13 10:44 AM Re: Synthology Ivory 2 on MacBook Pro.... [Re: gvfarns]
Albatrossone Offline

Well there are two reasons for wanting it high. The first reason is the kind of swell effect I mention above.

The second you actually touch on yourself and is probably more important. I want the behaviour of the pedal as realistic as possible so I don't lose any technique. With low polyphony using the pedal properly isn't as important because the notes disappear anyway to leave space for new ones. I don't want to have my playing on an acoustic piano sound like a muddy mess because I've become used to overpedalling on Ivory.

So I want the effect so I can get better at controlling and limiting it. Does that make sense?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (bennevis, anotherscott, 36251, bgiles, Art_Vandelay, 26 invisible), 1245 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156246 Topics
2294651 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
T.J. Rochford Piano, trying to uncover some history
by Mikey Bob
1 minute 16 seconds ago
How to study harmony through Bach
by ttttcrngyblflpp
1 minute 17 seconds ago
Gustav Lutz?
by MartaG
Today at 06:37 AM
Can anyone help me identify Bach's music in this soundtrack?
by WellTemperedPizza
Today at 05:30 AM
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
Today at 12:36 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission