Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1692508 - 06/08/11 12:40 PM Mark Sarnecki's Harmony Basics typo?
Selah411 Offline

Anybody with this book that can help me? pg 8 question #3 last chord. This is a dim maj chord, but i think they meant a dim min chord - hence a half diminished chord. did they forget to put a flat in front of the b?

thanks so much!

Currently working on:
Chopin Etude Op 10 #12
Beethoven Sonata Op 53

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1692837 - 06/09/11 10:39 AM Re: Mark Sarnecki's Harmony Basics typo? [Re: Selah411]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I don't really understand your question because I don't have this book. There is no such thing as a "dim major" or "dim min" chord. The basic chords are major, minor, dom7, major7, diminished (triad), dim7, half-dim (m7b5).

Perhaps you could scan the page and post it for us?

#1692985 - 06/09/11 02:48 PM Re: Mark Sarnecki's Harmony Basics typo? [Re: Selah411]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Would writing out the letter names of the chords be enough if a scan can't be done? (Curious)

I'm thinking that a "diminished major 7" would have to be something like CEbGbB (does it exist in music?) ?? I think the "min" in "dim min" means "minor 7" which is a half diminished as the OP wrote = CEbGbBb (hence, the missing flat).

Sarneki came out with a new edition for the harmony series this spring, and I imagine they did the same for basics. They added letter notation for the first time, rather than just the Roman Numerals. New editions can have mistakes.

#1693128 - 06/09/11 06:40 PM Re: Mark Sarnecki's Harmony Basics typo? [Re: Selah411]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

That's an interesting thought, Keystring. You certainly could have such a chord, although that sort of chord is not often expressed in classical literature because it's not one of the standard harmonic chords. I've seen such a chord in jazz, but any chord can be expressed in jazz.

Given that this is a harmony basics text, I tend to think you are on the money with your notion of the half-diminished chord C Eb Gb Bb. I think the one with the major 7th would be a bit challenging for "basic" ears!

#1693178 - 06/09/11 08:01 PM Re: Mark Sarnecki's Harmony Basics typo? [Re: Selah411]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Going beyond the question, might our hypothetical "diminished major 7" chord also be seen as a different chord if it got a different spelling and if we could assume (a) different root(s)? By different spelling I mean for example that B can be Cb, Eb and Gb could be D# and F# etc. (Just having fun here.)

#1693185 - 06/09/11 08:19 PM Re: Mark Sarnecki's Harmony Basics typo? [Re: Selah411]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The spelling of a chord usually reflects its destination. It would sound the same of course, but if you respell the Eb to D#, it would most likely function as a leading tone to some sort of E-chord. Plus you'd have the B which is common to the E-chord and the F# which is supertonic to the E-chord. Funny how if you do flatten the B, an E-chord seems to be the least likely destination! Harmony is a marvellous thing.

#1693186 - 06/09/11 08:20 PM Re: Mark Sarnecki's Harmony Basics typo? [Re: Selah411]
John_In_Montreal Offline

Loc: Montreal Canada
Hi Everyone,

I'm not surprised your book might have some errors in it.

I have 2 books by Mark Sarnecki and the 1st one I bought (Elementary Music Rudiments, 2nd-ed) has a few errors in it. Its a good thing I had bought another theory book and worked with it beforehand otherwise, as a complete beginner back in august 2010, I never would have spotted some of the errors and would have learned wrong. I did not check their website, maybe they have acknowledged them and issued an addendum?

As a beginner without a teacher, I rely heavily on things like textbooks & articles to learn stuff, and so I find it very disconcerting to discover errors in them. I recognize though, that we are all human, and we do make mistakes!

John

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (Almaviva, 36251, ADWyatt, 46 invisible), 1656 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74257 Members
42 Forums
153603 Topics
2251253 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
Today at 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
Today at 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
Today at 06:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission