2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Great news at today's lesson: The Bach F# P&F is done. The Brahms Rhapsody is up to page 4 and taking shape. After lusting after the Waldstein through 10 months with a hag of a teacher and then 8 months with my current wonderful teacher, Mark finally okayed it today for a summer project. This summer I dive into Beethoven!

I'm so delighted I just wanted to share.

Best regards,

Deborah

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by gooddog
Great news at today's lesson: The Bach F# P&F is done. The Brahms Rhapsody is up to page 4 and taking shape. After lusting after the Waldstein through 10 months with a hag of a teacher and then 8 months with my current wonderful teacher, Mark finally okayed it today for a summer project. This summer I dive into Beethoven!

Deborah - You're gonna love it !! So much fun to play !! Congrats !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Make sure to be eating your spinach meanwhile! thumb

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's awesome! Waldstein is an amazing sonata! I love it when I get to start working on something that I've liked for a long time.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That's possibly my favorite piano sonata by Beethoven. smile I started working on it, then quickly dropped it realizing how daunting of a task it is. Maybe my senior year I'll pick it back up. Good luck!

A
A
That's exciting. Waldstein is one of my favorite pieces. It says a lot about you that he feels you can do it. Enjoy the journey!

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

I'm delighted for you too, and best of luck!

The Waldstein was the hardest piece I ever attempted which I actually brought to performance level and played for memory. Looking back, there were many fine points I missed, and with the hindsight of eight years, there is so much more I could have done with it. Don't ever underestimate its difficulties. (Many of those difficulties don't even show up until you start to push the tempo.)

I know who your piano teacher is. I've heard him live and on recordings (wish I could sit in on your lessons) and I just know he's going to provide some incredible insights. Let us know of your progress!

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow! All I can say is...enjoy it! Never let the difficulties distract you from your passion for this piece, and you'll sound great. (It never hurts to have an awesome teacher guiding you along)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yup, a very difficult work! I played it for my diploma recital... I worked on it for about a year or a bit more... I'm fine with octave playings and chords, but that last movement with the trills?!?!? brrr....

Good luck Deborah! And enjoy your heart out with this stunning work (also one my favorites)!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I'm fine with octave playings and chords, but that last movement with the trills?!?!? brrr....

Agreed - I recently listened through it with a recording playing, wondering if I could manage it, and those trills give me serious pause...

Best of luck!

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
That's great! No matter how difficult or confounding it might get, that piece is always a joy to play and work on.

(....though I've worked on it more than I've played it, if you know what I mean!)

Piano instruction and performance
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good for you, Deborah. I've always loved the Waldstein and it is on my bucket list. Maybe one day.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very exciting! Congratulations on being ready for it. Which movement will you start on?

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Post a recording! laugh

Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
I know who your piano teacher is. I've heard him live and on recordings (wish I could sit in on your lessons) and I just know he's going to provide some incredible insights. Let us know of your progress!
I believe Mark is considered to be somewhat of an expert on Beethoven (and Liszt). It should be a very interesting adventure. I expect to be working on it a loooong time.
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Yup, a very difficult work! I played it for my diploma recital... I worked on it for about a year or a bit more... I'm fine with octave playings and chords, but that last movement with the trills?!?!? brrr....
Mark flipped through it as if he was visiting an old friend. He mentioned the octaves and trills and I reminded him about my small hands. He calmly said he has "a work around for that." I think I'm in good hands.
Originally Posted by Canonie
Very exciting! Congratulations on being ready for it. Which movement will you start on?
I'm starting from the beginning.

Best regards,

Deborah
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Sounds wonderful, though I must ask: After learning it throughly, does it finally 'fall nicely under the fingers'? Or is it ALWAYS awkward to play due to the crazy tempo?

Ravel - Une Barque Sur l'Ocean
Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

... and of course you'll be sharing the first movement by the time summer school rolls around, won't you? I mean, you do have a whole month! smile

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
... and of course you'll be sharing the first movement by the time summer school rolls around, won't you? I mean, you do have a whole month! smile
Of course not. I'll have the entire sonata at performance level by next week! [Linked Image]

I'll probably perform the Bach at one recital and maybe one or two of the Brahms 119 intermezzi at the other, depending on what Anna says. I'll still be plugging away at the Brahms Rhapsody so it won't be ready. The Waldstein will be in its infancy so I hope to get help with both of those. I do hope we are in the same master class, Bruce.

Best regards,

Deborah
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Okay. I put in some time into the first movement. I think I can do this.

At the end of today's lesson, I asked Mark to play the Waldstein for me. He hunched his 6'5" frame over the keyboard, closed his eyes and started to fly. To quote my teenaged students, "Oh my God!" Thunder and tenderness, passion and control, optimism and mourning. All of these and more. When he finished, my heart and head were pounding. I got into the car and couldn't bear to put on the radio because any other music would have destroyed my mood. It was like being swept away by a tornado.

In all honestly, I realize I DO NOT HAVE THE CHOPS for the last movement...but it's going to be fun trying.

Best regards,

Deborah
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

In all honestly, realize I DO NOT HAVE THE CHOPS for the last movement...but it's going to be fun trying.

Maybe you should start with the last movement...then the rest will be a piece of cake! smile

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission