2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 140 of 341 1 2 138 139 140 141 142 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hey Knotty, I went with 4 Stars Book 4 and I just received it. It looks fine. I can still read it (though not fast). This was marked 'Early Intermediate'. It's still simple, the only difference are the keys (this one starts in the Key of D and F in the first couple of pages.

Crossing my fingers here but it looks like I was on the verge of figuring it out and I may have reached a milestone here.

TLT - there is no doubt I know what I am not good at smile I've been embarrassed more than a few times when I freeze in front of my teacher. But it seems like reading away from the piano has helped (I've been doing that in the last few months).

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Perhaps any of you might be interested in working on 'Naima'?

Such a beautiful tune. Harder than I thought.

I'm playing this at a gig soon so I'm cramming. I know I'm taking a risk but I'm playing 10 new tunes at my next gig.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Naima is fine with me . . . love the tune.

A
A
OT: I just joined a few days ago because I am in the buying process... haven't owned a piano for 7 years. I just saw this forum/thread and am excited! Looks like there is great support not only for buying but for learning and improving. smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Absolutely adamkaz! Welcome, get yourself a recording device and hop in.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Naima is a cool tune. I was just messing around with it a little. I'll see what I can do. I haven't got all set up yet for recording... just got moved to Chicago area.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Scott, that sounds quite major. That's like starting from scratch with students and such. Let us know how you're getting along.

I've played Naima more as a solo piano piece and it sounds great for that. But to do it combo style and double-timing the solo was harder than I thought. After awhile I was repeating ideas...

All non-functional harmony.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee

I've played Naima more as a solo piano piece and it sounds great for that. But to do it combo style and double-timing the solo was harder than I thought. After awhile I was repeating ideas...

All non-functional harmony.

I still hate the term 'non-functional' harmony, so I'll just pretend that no one is saying it anymore. smile

In any case, I'm wondering about some typos in the Real Book Hal Leonard version for Naima. I've got the original real book and the versions are virtually identical except for an A or Ab chord in the 4th bar. Both sound good with the right voicing, but I'm thinking the chord should be Ab, given the same progression later on has Ab.

Anyone know for sure?

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ywkpVJ624

If in doubt go to the source.
Trane's solo here is unbelievable, such intensity.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
. . . . but I'm thinking the chord should be Ab, given the same progression later on has Ab. Anyone know for sure?

Ab it is.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I was practicing it with Ab. I just used my Iphone App changes and that's what it had.

So what's your problem with non-functional harmony? Because it sounds negative? It's just a word. If someone said modal and non-modal, does that hurt your feelings? LOL.

My Jazz Blog

S
S
Hi, I've been hanging around the piano teachers forum mostly, but I thought I'd introduce myself here.

I studied jazz in college (at IU) and have learned mostly from the David Baker/Aebersold methods/books. I guess they're a little passé now, but oh well. LOL.

I'm trying to get into playing again (as well as teaching a few students the basics). I imagine my posting will be an odd mix of offering and asking for advice. But I'm happy to find a thread where musicians can discuss the technical and other aspects of playing jazz!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You're very welcome scotpgot. David Baker's teachings will never go out of style. smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Yup - I can't imagine how David Baker would go out of style. My teacher studied with David Baker at IU for a little bit.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In the late 70's David Baker held a week long seminar here in Stockholm, it was 9 - 5 everyday.
He took us through arranging, harmony, improvisation, how to practise, how to teach - his energy was relentless.
Packed with Sweden's finest jazzers, he commenced to blow their collective minds with his concepts - and that jazz could actually be taught.
Apart from participating, I also had the job of transcribing the taped sessions, so I got to hear him several times.
He started off with: "the first rule is that there are no rules - the rest is practice practice practice and listen - listen a lot to music".

Amongst the sessions during the week he approached re-harmonizing by writing the melody of ATTYA (a collective gasp in the classroom - "a standard???!!??" "how dare he . . . !!??!!"
He then said "Ok, give me chord, any chord, any colour . . ."
Somebody said "A-major!"
"Ok, that makes it AMaj7 as the first chord"
He then proceeded to ask for chords, always altering them so they fit with the melody, until the whole tune was done. And then he played it - it was wild it was weird it was SO cool.

And then the 'mayhem' started " its not according to the rules" "it's not ehhh jazz" (somebody actually said) "its only an intellectual concept" bla bla bla and so on.

DB said "aha . . not jazz?" with a smile and then proceeded to blow us away improvising on the changes.

That week has stayed with me. So when I picked up the piano and started practising again seven years ago; DB's teachings sprung forth from somewhere within.

David Baker rules. smile

S
S
Ah, good to hear. Really, really good to hear.

During my time there, we were able to become friends, and I've kept in touch with him.

He's the only real, true genius (a word I hesitate to use ever when describing someone) I've ever known.

When I was going through his Improvisation book (again!) recently, I had to laugh. The first 4-6 pages are basically, "learn every chord, in every mode, in every key, starting on any note". A good year of practice in those first 4-6 pages. A lifetime to master the rest of the book.

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
Saw an article in the paper today and thought of ya'll..

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2011/06/music_lovers_learn_new_techniq.html

It's a yearly jazz camp, and they have a piano program.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee

So what's your problem with non-functional harmony? Because it sounds negative? It's just a word. If someone said modal and non-modal, does that hurt your feelings? LOL.

No, it hurts my sensibility of what the function of any harmony is. smile So to call something 'non'functioning, it implies that it doesn't serve a purpose, or doesn't work. What it doesn't do though, is fit simply into the classical theory of iis and Vs. But upon closer look at each chord those functions still exist, but sometimes at the same time (as in a V and a I), and then since it is harder to pinpoint their function (is it a V? is it a I?) they are labeled as non-functional.

So, for me at least, when I am progressing through learning how different composers from different eras use chords, I like to analyze how they arrived at certain chords, and if I called everything I didn't understand 'non-functional', then I would personally believe that I'd missed the point of how those chords were actually functioning. I'd also find it harder to learn the pieces, or to be able to solo intelligently over the changes.

Maybe later I'll acquiesce, or maybe even accept the term. But for now I'm on a little bit of a mission to get others to understand that maybe the term itself is non functioning.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Scep, well I agree with you but since it's the standard terminology, I don't know what else to call it. My point though is that the tune does not have a ii-V cadence anywhere and with the bass pedal, really makes it more of a modal tune I suppose.

But Naima has a ethereal quality to it that just appeals to me. It is just hard though to come up with a "story" on the solo though (as with most modal tunes).

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm going to call them poly-function chords, since that's what they really do.

As for the ii V cadence you're looking for, what else would you say is happening going towards the 4th bar, and the repeat of the same section at the end of the tune? Maybe not ii V as you might want to see it, but clearly, there is cadence material there wouldn't you say?

Page 140 of 341 1 2 138 139 140 141 142 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission