2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1690260 06/04/11 04:56 AM
Canonie Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Yesssssssssssssssssssssss!! I did it!

Just managed to really play the ending. Those last 4 bars have defeated me for a very. Long. Time. No matter what I did, I could not manage to do all the things I wanted with the sound (on the rare occasion I hit all the right notes).

I had to leap onto PW immediately and post. If you have any tips on how you managed to get this codetta reliable I am very interested! I have tried many things and will do some more work on it tonight, but new approaches are very welcome. You see, once is a happy accident although I will check shortly to see if can play it a second time.

Does anyone play this? As I learnt it I found more and more to be amazed about. It's my first Brahms and it's a Revelation. I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced this piece. Is not the harmony/voice leading mind-boggling? Perhaps all Brahms is like this and many PWers have been through this discovery.

PS this is one of the 2 pieces I will play for the little masterclass tomorrow. Thank you for reading and happy practising to you all - May all your codas fly smile

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Woo hoo!!! well done!!
I have not worked on it though it's on my list of pieces to work on over the next three months. So I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

Good luck for tomorrow smile Enjoy it!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have not played this, but I imagine what you're trying to get is accurate notes and smoothness of both the connected notes and the jumps - I'm assuming your fingering for the RH is (13)-(25)-(13)-(25), or something similar?

Here is how I would practice the RH
1. Relax and expect progress!
2.Play full chords for each hand position, so play B-flat,E-flat,G-flat,B-flat together, then shift to the next octave. Practice this shift accurately and slowly until it is comfortable and then speed up. Practice this shift for both of the octaves.
3. For the notes you can connect by legato, play (13)-(25)-(13)-(25)-(13)-(25) on the same octave in a triplet rhythm until this feels comfortable and sounds smooth.

Hope this helps!

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
It's a wonderful piece, always reminds me of Mendelssohn with its lightness and freshness. In the coda, my suggestion is to try and keep your right hand low. The more it moves, the more problems you'll have keeping it under control. If it stays low and just glides to the top, you'll find it much easier.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Yes.....I remember my teacher asking me to practice the entire section at one dynamic level: Softly, up to tempo, with no 'bumps' in the sound, as she put it - or rather, dynamically even without placing any kind of emphasis, however slight, on any of the notes.

After doing that, she then felt that I was able to incorporate the subtle dynamic shifts and the stringendo.........

(But then, I had such a clumsy thumb back then.)

Wonderful piece. Someday I'll revisit all of op76. It's been way to darn long.........

Piano instruction and performance
Canonie Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you all for your useful responses. As I predicted my next try was a mess again. Arrggh - I hadn't actually thought to try your number 2 obvious as it seems now (so I'll try that). Number 3 I had to think about before I knew what you meant - hadn't thought of that either so I'll try that as well.

Gerard12, I was doing one dynamic level last night but I used all loud and accented. I can see that alternating between that and perfectly even piano would really help. "No bumps at all" yes, well, I would love to manage that. What I heard yesterday was the sweep, the speed the cresc, dim and rit etc but I think that I still had a zigzag of dynamic in the notes.

jeffrey, I'm pretty sure I've been trying to raise the RH, maybe that's been my problem. Thanks for the idea.

LF, be sure to post when you begin the piece. I have some lovely fingering worked out. Well I'm sure you'd prefer your own but since I've spent lots of time getting into this piece I would enjoy discussion with someone going through the process. Oh, and I can tell you where your memory can take a wrong turn in the most subtle way and spit you out near the beginning again. It's not like a sonata wrong turn where there is a sign-post at least!

Although I do think that this intermezzo is in sonata form. I wonder if the other op76 are? It was quite a surprise to discover this!

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Canonie Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A little thank you [Linked Image]

I have played the end of this piece consistently and beautifully ever since the practise I did harnessing the advice in this thread, including in my exam laugh You people are brilliant! Thanks again, from the bottom of my piano.

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission