2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
JW - Nice knockdown. Hotshot? LOL. No way. I went to nationals as rail meat before I got my own J. If you've ever crewed on a J-24 you know how beat up you get. I eventually wised up and decided the easiest job was skipper so I got my own.

CMohr - Oh, she's a beauty. Nice pics.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
JW - Nice knockdown. Hotshot? LOL. No way. I went to nationals as rail meat before I got my own J. If you've ever crewed on a J-24 you know how beat up you get. I eventually wised up and decided the easiest job was skipper so I got my own.

JimF, yup, J24's have that reputation smile I haven't crewed in ages but my boat has a contingent of 8 so I don't to worry about muscle power so much anymore. Keeps my fingers safe for piano. LOL.

And I have experienced many a broach on a 20 footer. My boat's a little bigger now so it's a little more relaxed even in the big waves.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What else do you do??.....mmmmmm......let's think.....playing piano and did I mention piano-playing.....

Some reading....and working.....arghhh

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Marybee-Your quilts are gorgeous! Love the bright colors.
Carol-I love your pottery - I tried throwing a few times, not as easy as I thought. I'm envious of your bowls!

Originally Posted by hawgdriver

I'm the one that's in the picture without the cool boat and attractive women... wink

I'm trying to channel my inner Mr. S-H, is it working?

Ok, I'm top left in the team pic.

Channeling Mr. S-H seems to be working just fine laugh Ah, so you're the cute one....oh-oh, Mr. S-H traits strike again! grin Off to sail!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
CMohr ~ any photos of your prints? I'd love to see them. I did some printmaking in art school, & sporadically afterwards, but it's been years since I've done any.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am a serious watercolorist, and at any given time I've also experimented with oils, pastels, pen and ink, collage, silk screen printing, wood carving, Ukranian eggs, etc.

I used to be an avid camper and fly fisher, but I reluctantly gave that up after my husband passed away. I miss it, but am too old to sleep outdoors and hike streams by myself. Not to mention too out of shape.

Reading, stamp collecting, photography.

I belong to a senior tap dancing group and perform in their yearly show.

The past two years I've played basketball in the New Jersey Senior Olympics women's 60+ age category. We lost all four of our games last year, but got the silver medal because only one of the other teams was in our age group. The others were at least 10 years younger. BTW, I had never played Bball before this. Just saw a flyer at the Y and thought it might be fun.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by mom3gram
I am a serious watercolorist

Love to see some of your work if you don't mind sharing.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by TBrown
reading (current kick is the Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle)

I've only read Cryptonomicon. Some of my actuary friends say I would enjoy his other work. Have you read both?

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenPiano
When my last hobby inadvertently ended, I needed a new hobby, so I had the bright idea to learn how to play the piano. This is my only hobby.

I have young children, so I think that having one hobby at this point is sort of a luxury. laugh

I was an avid golfer for almost a decade (throughout my 30s), but then reality set in...I have no natural talent and had to work my arse off just to be a 25 handicap.

Like Ben, I need a constant hobby, so I decided to "relearn" piano - initially to help my daughter and learn with her. My story here is a familiar one that I've told before...I skipped all my kid stuff and went right to playing full Joplin scores. smile

2.5 years later, I'm now on my 5th rag, and learned a few other non-rag pieces along the way.

Young children and wife who works night shift (which makes me a part-time single parent) have kept me from pursuing my own interests with any consistency, so I'm vastly under-accomplished with piano (and a little lazy too), and now a non-golfer (though I still watch it on tv).

I'm also a life-long reader and fitness buff - things I don't consider "hobbies" because I've done them all my life...hmmm..what else. YouTube and PianoWorld, of course! grin

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
mom3gram - is your avatar one of your paintings?

Basketball - that's on my wannabe list smile My niece was really good at it in high school, but didn't pursue it. She's only 5' 6", which is short these days for college ball. And I'm, uh, much shorter than that. But Senior Olympics would be fun. One of these days - I knew you were an inspiration to me laugh

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by MaryBee

Here are pictures of some quilts I've finished recently.

Gosh, those are really pretty.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Go to work. Play guitar. Poke about on the 'puter.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Since this has turned into something of a cycling thread, I thought I'd share my wreck yesterday.

I usually ride my bike in to work during the summer. When I bought my house on the south side of Denver, I insisted that it was near the Platte River bike trail. This is a paved trail that is uninterrupted by streets. The trail goes under all of the cross-streets. It's a straight 15 mile shot into downtown. I love it--no rude drivers and stop and go, great exercise, listen to music, just perfect.

Yesterday was my first day riding home from work, and I was stoked. I had gone on some longer rides during the past few weekends, and my legs felt great. I was ready to crush the ride home--just mash the pedals the whole way.

As I was leaving downtown, I made a hard left turn at speed (maybe 15-20 mph), and hit a patch of sand and loose rock. The next thing I felt my left shoulder crunch (it did audibly crunch, but I had already torn my AC ligament in a snowboarding mishap, so I think this time it functioned as a helpful shock-absorbing feature of my anatomy)--and then my head--helmet--slammed the pavement. It was so fast, I went from riding to being a mess on the ground in the same moment.

I stood up immediately. Cool, I can stand up! Quick mental checklist--does anything feel really wrong? No. Quick visual check--Oh, dude, you look nasty (lots of road rash, torn jersey, chainring punctures in leg) I'll spare the pics). Quick check for any broken bones, any serious injury--Nothing! Yeah baby!

Oh no, look at that bike. My bike! My new 2010 TCR Advanced 2! It's on the ground and looks bad! Is it cracked or broken? No, doesn't look like it. Are the wheels ok? Well, the back wheel seems ok, but that front wheel is precessing pretty badly. Handlebars skewed 15° from direction of front wheel, shifters all cattywampus. Oh, my new bike!!!

Well, we made the 15 mile ride home anyway, although the cocked handlebars took some getting used to at first. My bike shop (where I bought the bike, it's the first and only 'official' Giant bicycle store in the country) patched me up--for free--I love those guys. They were able to true the front wheel, but it's a little ovalled. Not too bad, I rode it in this morning and didn't notice it, although I did something to my ribs.

So, I had my first little crash, and it was a blast! Wear your helmets kids!! (I actually think I got a lot of mileage out of all my scrapes because my 2 year old is starting to ride his Strider bike pretty good, and I told him several times how my bo-bo's were not actually that bad, but if I didn't wear my helmet, I'd have super bad head bo-bo's. He seemed quite sincere in his affirmation of future helmet wearing!)

I'm glad you're okay Leon! I'm also glad you shared this scary incident. I'm planning take my first ride of the season this weekend (weather permitting). I never ride without a helmut. You've just reminded me why!

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, Cathy, my avatar is one of my paintings. I do a lot of flowers. You can see more at www.mhwatercolornotes.blogspot.com

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wow, we are certainly a talented and attractive group. I won't post my picture, since I would drag the super-hunky index way down. smile

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
T
T
Originally Posted by TBrown
reading (current kick is the Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle)

I've only read Cryptonomicon. Some of my actuary friends say I would enjoy his other work. Have you read both?

I loved Cryptonomicon and also Snow Crash, so it spurred me to get the Baroque Cycle. It's certainly a different type of writing than Crypto., but I'm enjoying it. It's not what you would normally think of when you think of science fiction, it's more of "historical science fiction," having science and technology of the past play central themes in the books. And of course it's loooong, so tons of characters!

BTW, congrats on the first cycling related crash and glad nobody was seriously injured! Try NuSkin on the road rash, works great!

"When words fail, music speaks."
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
mom3gram - those are marvelous! I used to watercolor - 30 years ago - I love them.

Your flower journal is great. I used to carry a 5x8 bound index card book on hikes and camping trips and would write on the lined side and do pencil/colored pencil/crayon sketches of flowers and plants on the unlined side. I have a whole set of journals from a sea-to-shining-sea camping trip I did over 3 months 20 years ago. If I could afford it I'd do that again - I could visit PW members and play pianos all over the country!

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
It's interesting to read other peoples hobbies. I like to read, currently reading an Eckhart Tolle book at the moment. I also sing in a folk choir and I like to do Zumba.

Started Piano in March 2011
Yamaha YDP161
Self Teaching using Alfreds All-in-One Book #1

Working on:
Kum ba ya
London Bridge

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
JW

I've been there. The E27 could be squirelly on a brisk run. My time on that boat was 20 years ago. It was a red one out of Santa Monica YC called Dragon Lady.

You may or may not know that this venerable Carl Schumacher design is the underbody of the high dollar daysailor made by Tillotson Pearson called the Alerion 28. There weren't many E27's down this way but I understand they still race as a class up on SF bay.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
L
L
I work, play guitar, write songs, play chess, garden, weight train, bike, hike, play video games (any BF:BC2 or MW2 players out there?), and the other usual things a homeowner/husband/dad does.

Casio WK-210
1963 Everett Studio (Style 14)
http://www.soundclick.com/lukeeelman
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission