2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hello everyone.
I'm doing an exam in about a year, and I'm to start practicing round about now. I've been given mostly free reign from my teacher (I've no lessons for the summer, so I learn or make a start on my pieces round about now), and one of the options of the exam is to play two contrasting Scarlatti sonatas - any two whatsoever. Though thats within reason - I don't think they can't be too easy, considering this is my final exam. (To give any idea of difficulty, other pieces up are Rach Prelude in C sharp minor, Ravel Sonatine mvt 1 and Debussy Bruyeres - if anyones curious, full list is here http://shorttext.com/ccv20t7s0lt)
So yeah. Does anyone have any suggestions on any two contrasting, moderately difficult sonataas by Scarlatti? I have my eye on K. 141 in D minor, the sheet music looks fairly do-able, but I haven't found much info on it.
All and any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. grin

EDIT: I have choice besides this to choose any prelude and fugue by Bach, though I feel that theres more choice with two of Scarlattis. If anyone wants to suggest any difficult-ish P&F from the WTC, feel free...

Last edited by Sean-Patrick; 06/13/11 08:10 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sean-Patrick

EDIT: I have choice besides this to choose any prelude and fugue by Bach, though I feel that theres more choice with two of Scarlattis. If anyone wants to suggest any difficult-ish P&F from the WTC, feel free...

Sometimes more choices is a bad thing. ha It's really hard to recommend Scarlatti sonatas because there are SO many of them, I wouldn't even know where to start. (I'll just leave that up to other people who know them better). However, if you decide to go with Bach, I think most, if not all the preludes and fugues are pretty hard (probably don't go with c major book I because everyone plays the prelude from it). What I do when I pick one is just go through and listen to them all and pick one that stands out to me.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
....It's really hard to recommend Scarlatti sonatas because there are SO many of them, I wouldn't even know where to start. (I'll just leave that up to other people who know them better).....

Well, I know them better smile .....and I don't know where to start either.

You're right.

I think the best advice for Sean-Patrick is to look through a bunch of them, and pick a couple that he likes and that seem do-able.

V
V
Hi Sean,
Try K208 and K209, both are in A major. Judging from your pieces' standard, that would fit.

vk
NY Steinway D 423118
Yamaha UX 2499771
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sean-Patrick
I have my eye on K. 141 in D minor, the sheet music looks fairly do-able, but I haven't found much info on it.

Have you ever listened to or attempted 141? It's more than moderately difficult.

Here is the best rendering I've yet heard from any pianist.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Originally Posted by stores
Have you ever listened to or attempted 141? It's more than moderately difficult....

Yes -- I didn't know offhand which one that was, and didn't check.
IMO it's up there with the very most difficult.

It's funny what pieces people sometimes say aren't hard.... smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

It's funny what pieces people sometimes say aren't hard.... smile

Yeah, especially Baroque and Classical era works!

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Yeah, especially Baroque and Classical era works!

Dunno, I'm still reeling from people saying Chopin's F minor Fantaisie isn't that hard..... ha

BTW, in fairness to Sean-Patrick....I shouldn't have put it that way in the other post, because he didn't really say this D minor sonata isn't that hard, just that it seems "fairly doable."

P.S. to Sean-Patrick: Just noticed your "P.S." -- If you can pick a Prelude & Fugue by Bach, I don't think you have to worry about it being "difficult-ish," because they're all at least difficult-ish. Any of them are full opportunities to show what you can do. I think the best suggestion might be for you to see if there's one that really grabs you, and you're done.
Except for the hard part, which is actually learning it. smile

Last edited by Mark_C; 06/13/11 10:31 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Oh, I see. Yeah, that's a hard piece... I heard someone say that Mozart concerti are just beginner's concerti for those who aren't ready for the Romantic and 20th century ones.

And that person is a teacher. Scary.

Oh, I see. Yeah, that's a hard piece... I heard someone say that Mozart concerti are just beginner's concerti for those who aren't ready for the Romantic and 20th century ones.

+1

When someone says something like that about Mozart, you know they have a lot to learn.

I mean, we all do. But they have more. smile

P.S. The one time I had a chance to play a concerto, and to pick whatever one I wanted, the ones I really wanted to play were Mozart. I decided they were too hard. So I picked the Emperor Concerto instead. ha
It was the right decision.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

+1

When someone says something like that about Mozart, you know they have a lot to learn.

I mean, we all do. But they have more. smile

P.S. The one time I had a chance to play a concerto, and to pick whatever one I wanted, the ones I really wanted to play were Mozart. I decided they were too hard. So I picked the Emperor Concerto instead. ha
It was the right decision.

Oh gosh, if I could pick whatever I wanted... It would probably be Brahms 1, but if not that, I most definitely would try to do Mozart.

Sorry for going off topic too much... Sorry for low quality, and I think I identified them incorrectly (so someone who knows them better please correct me), but how about these?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

F minor from Book II. No reason except that I have chosen to learn it for my next exam, and I liked it most from the list I had to choose from. Don't know whether it's hard enough for your purposes. I am enjoying it so far.

Can't help you with the Scarlatti, don't know any. It's much easier to choose when the list is narrowed down a bit. I feel exhausted choosing from only 8 or so pieces!

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
If you have to memorize them, go with Scarlatti over Bach since some of those preludes and fugues are nightmares to commit to memory

B
BDB Offline
B
There are a few Scarlatti Sonatas which are not in binary form, like the Cat's Fugue, so including one of those would automatically provide contrast.

Semipro Tech
P.S. I'm going to suggest a particular P & F even though I usually hate doing that kind of thing. smile

I'm doing it not just because I think it could fit your bill but (mainly) because it's a great piece that doesn't get much discussion here, at least not that I've noticed. (Maybe I just don't know where to look!)

D minor, Book I.
Prelude is challenging but not one of the very most difficult, and the Fugue is (IMO) especially beautiful and almost "Romantic," very forward-looking in its character, and a definite contrast to the Prelude.

The D minor is beautiful, I heartily agree.

As far as Scarlatti, I might take a listen to K531 and 380 (both in E major) and also 427 in G major. Really sound like fun to play, and certainly not the easiest things in the world.

Scarlatti is so much fun, just in general.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D minor Book I is the one that I wished I was learning, when it was too late to change from the C min bookI that I committed to for my last exam. I listened to it a lot, and played through a little. I decided the LH passage work in the Cmin is what I most needed to develop my fingers. I'm a fan of the Dmin and it seems to be one of the well known ones, especially the prelude. I probably discovered is here on PW!

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
....D minor, Book I....

Apologies to Alden, Canonie, and everybody....I blew it! I meant Book 2!!!!

But yeah, we might say the same about the D minor of Book 1!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
....D minor, Book I....

Apologies to Alden, Canonie, and everybody....I blew it! I meant Book 2!!!!

But yeah, we might say the same about the D minor of Book 1!

I was going to say something... I was wondering why you said they were underplayed. Now it makes sense.

You could have said "the one with the winding, sinuous fugue theme", but that actually wouldn't have narrowed it down between the two. smile

-J

Originally Posted by beet31425
....I was wondering why you said they were underplayed. Now it makes sense....

BTW I didn't say underplayed, I said under-discussed! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission