Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1695694 - 06/14/11 08:02 PM Kronos is out!
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just got a call from Guitar Center that the Korg Kronos is on the floor and available. It is only the 61 key but I imagine the bigger ones can't be far behind. I'm about to grab my headphones and at least go check out the sounds and functionality.
Roland Jupiter 80

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1695822 - 06/15/11 12:28 AM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just got back from GC and spent quite a bit of time with the Kronos 61. Materials were very good but a bit short of what you get with Yamaha products. The touchscreen, however, is fantastic and a really great feature for a workstation.

I really enjoyed all the sound engines. It will be overkill for those just looking for a DP, but I can see endless hours of creative fun for me. The sequencing and editing is intuitive with the touchscreen and the sounds are great. I think the XF still might be the best workstation as far as sounds that kill on stage, but the Kronos has more flexibility as a stand alone workstation and the sounds are just as good if not better in all departments, except maybe the guitars.

The action used on the SV-1 isn't as refined as that on the CP-1, but I will live with the compromise given that my acoustic is used for virtually all my piano time. I paid for and pre-ordered a Kronos 88. I was able to get it out the door for the best price I found online. They expect it to arrive within the next 2 weeks.

On a side note, I was talking to the manager about the the Roland G8, which I used to own. He told me they can't move them because everyone knows the sounds are just not usable on stage or in the studio unless you are focused on creating hip hop demos. Nevertheless, he agreed that the new Roland DP focused products sound and feel great. To illustrate the point about the G8 he played back similar demos he created on the XF and the G8. The contrast was pretty dramatic. There is definitely something about Roland non-piano sounds that make them sound artificial. Hopefully whatever lessons they learned in creating the SN pianos can be applied across other sounds in their next workstation.

Mint CP1 anyone? PW friendly pricing for anyone interested.

Edited by Hideki Matsui (06/15/11 12:29 AM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1695829 - 06/15/11 12:40 AM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Congrats Hideki - looking forward to seeing the pictures of your place once the Kronos arrives! wink

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1695831 - 06/15/11 12:44 AM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Kawai James]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Congrats Hideki - looking forward to seeing the pictures of your place once the Kronos arrives! wink

Cheers,
James
x

Thanks. I almost ended buying the MP-10 but I decided to go back to a workstation. The action on the MP is superb. I would take it over any DP action out there.

My Shigeru had the visit from the Kawai Master Piano Artisan from Japan today. I cant believe how perfect he made my Shigeru sound. As great as all these DPs are, playing the Shigeru is something otherworldly.

Edited by Hideki Matsui (06/15/11 12:46 AM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1695838 - 06/15/11 01:02 AM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Wow, sounds like you've had a great day!

Double congrats! wink

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1695935 - 06/15/11 08:34 AM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Ok Hideki, now you're really making me green with envy! A perfectly prepped Shigeru and a Kronos 88 - it doesn't get much better than that. shocked

#1696066 - 06/15/11 12:54 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Wow congrats on both getting the Kronos 88 and your piano tweaked. Yeah, I've spent some $$$$ on my D getting it right. It's always gratifying and inspiring for sure.

I know you didn't play the 88 but I'm curious to see when you get it, how the SV1 action compares to that of the Kronos 88/73. I don't think the 61s are even in the stores down here yet.

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

#1696173 - 06/15/11 03:19 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Hideki Matsui
Originally Posted By: Kawai James

Cheers,
James
x

Thanks. I almost ended buying the MP-10 but I decided to go back to a workstation. The action on the MP is superb. I would take it over any DP action out there.

My Shigeru had the visit from the Kawai Master Piano Artisan from Japan today. I cant believe how perfect he made my Shigeru sound. As great as all these DPs are, playing the Shigeru is something otherworldly.

First of all congrats on the pre-ordered Kronos! I played the 61 Kronos last week over at my local music store, and I was very impressed with the piano/orchestral sounds. I didn't spend nearly enough time, but I left with a great impression of the acoustic pianos and orchestral sounds. Great touchscreen as well. It's probably the best workstation out there-aside from the NS2, but that seems almost made for different kinds of work.

As far as your SK5...I'm green with envy! I played the RX-5, RX-6, and RX-7, as well as did some session work on a C7 here in town, and loved the sound of the C7, but the feel of the Kawais were wonderful. And those were the standard Blak Series RX grands, not the high end SK grands. smile

"Life is a lot like jazz...it's best when you improvise."

#1696201 - 06/15/11 05:37 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: PianoZac]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
A Kawai detour in the thread--but I played the RX5 Blak about two weeks ago and was knocked out ! These new Blak series sound more European and sophisticated then earlier Kawais. I played a 2002 RX6 right next to the RX5 and the sound was not the same. Couple that with their newer Millennium action, I think for home solo playing, I'd prefer that Kawai to a Yamaha--and I'm a huge Yamaha C series fan. Owned both the C7E and S6.

The Kawai just had a more lyrical, singing sound then the C series. And at a more competitive price. Playing out live with a Trio, I'd still opt for a good regulated C7 though. They just cut through great.

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

#1696202 - 06/15/11 05:44 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Dave Ferris]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Wow congrats on both getting the Kronos 88 and your piano tweaked. Yeah, I've spent some $$$$ on my D getting it right. It's always gratifying and inspiring for sure.

I know you didn't play the 88 but I'm curious to see when you get it, how the SV1 action compares to that of the Kronos 88/73. I don't think the 61s are even in the stores down here yet.

I was fortunate to have my MPA visit as part of my Shigeru purchase, but I imagine that kind of quality work would normally be very expensive. Worth every penny nonetheless. I'm sure your D sounds amazing. Its hard to play a DP when you have a great piano at your fingertips.

While I was at GC there was a great jazz player using the CP5 for some EPs. It really sounded perfect. Yamaha really knows how to create sounds that sound great in live setups.

The SV-1 action doesn't compare to the refined Yamaha actions. If I didn't have my Shigeru I would probably keep the CP1, but I'm willing to live with an action that is a little less refined in a workstation. I think the Kronos will probably be similar to the SV. I'll definitely report back when I get it.
Roland Jupiter 80

#1696933 - 06/17/11 09:51 AM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Korg posted the English version of the Kronos Video Manual on YouTube.
The video manual has approximately 1 hour of videos.

Part 1 - Introduction and Navigation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w77zsCHO2Oc

Part 2 - Program Mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjE3A4WChUo

Part 3 - Combination Mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DHwX-kOL0M

Part 4 - Sequencer Mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHf1XqzBOU

Part 5 - Set List Mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUga0pLLgY

Part 6 - Disk Mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukwEWdbOHYE

Edited by Hideki Matsui (06/17/11 10:14 AM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1697930 - 06/19/11 05:13 AM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
The Kronos is a rather steep learning curve I must admit.

#1698409 - 06/19/11 11:54 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Dr Popper]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
The Kronos is a rather steep learning curve I must admit.

Based on the devices in your signature, I doubt it would be that steep for you. I have a feeling it will be a bit of a headache for me. That being said, it seems like endless fun too.

A few Japanese video:

Clown on the Kronos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnOZ9jZPiGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2DtHMoPbR8

Edited by Hideki Matsui (06/20/11 12:50 AM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1698422 - 06/20/11 12:38 AM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

This one should be of particular interest around here. It covers the SGX1 piano engine, EP1 electric piano engine and the CX3 organ engine. The electric pianos get the most coverage with some of the signature pro sounds highlighted.

Edited by Hideki Matsui (06/20/11 01:15 AM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1698554 - 06/20/11 09:47 AM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Based on the devices in your signature, I doubt it would be that steep for you. I have a feeling it will be a bit of a headache for me. That being said, it seems like endless fun too.

There is SO much in this board its a long road to really know it. Just when you think you have it you notice the other hundreds of voices not loaded that are on the drive.
This board is VERY involved.

#1698621 - 06/20/11 12:19 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Dr Popper]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

There is SO much in this board its a long road to really know it. Just when you think you have it you notice the other hundreds of voices not loaded that are on the drive.
This board is VERY involved.

I've been spending some time on the Kronos forum and half the stuff they talk about is completely over my head. The basics seem pretty straightforward but there seem to be so many little details that are going to require some serious hands on time.

I once owned the Access Virus Ti and am thinking about getting their 61 key version again to compliment the Kronos. I haven't kept up to date with the product and was wondering what you thought of the product today with current updates. I always felt the Virus was able to create unique "hard" electronic sounds.

Edited by Hideki Matsui (06/26/11 01:21 AM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1698860 - 06/20/11 07:14 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Some cool Japanese artist demo videos:

Roland Jupiter 80

#1699300 - 06/21/11 12:01 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I once owned the Access Virus Ti and am thinking about getting their 63 key version again to compliment the Kronos. I haven't kept up to date with the product and was wondering what you thought of the product today with current updates. I always felt the Virus was able to create unique "hard" electronic sounds.

Well to me the Virus is king of the synth's these days I just love it. I frankly couldn't imagine life without it. It does FAT better then any VA out there and nothing is like a virus bassline or trance pad although the Arturia Origon Keyboard is also a awesome board. I am VERY impressed with the Kronos as well BTW.

#1699326 - 06/21/11 12:46 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Dr Popper]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

I once owned the Access Virus Ti and am thinking about getting their 63 key version again to compliment the Kronos. I haven't kept up to date with the product and was wondering what you thought of the product today with current updates. I always felt the Virus was able to create unique "hard" electronic sounds.

Well to me the Virus is king of the synth's these days I just love it. I frankly couldn't imagine life without it. It does FAT better then any VA out there and nothing is like a virus bassline or trance pad although the Arturia Origon Keyboard is also a awesome board. I am VERY impressed with the Kronos as well BTW.

It seems every Virus owner feels similarly. I never should have sold mine. (Edit: picked up the 61 shortly after posting this). I wasn't very proficient with mine but this guy seems to know what he is doing:

Edited by Hideki Matsui (06/23/11 02:36 PM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1700511 - 06/23/11 12:09 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
rickshapiro Offline

Played the Kronos at GC yesterday. I think it really is a game changer. I cannot see Yamaha, Roland, Nord or Kurzweil catching up unless they stop regurgitating old technology with small incremental features and start from scratch. Across the board I found the sounds rich and highly usable. The Pianos sounds surpassed any softpianos I've heard. The interface and screen are highly intuitive. I'm really impressed. By the way, the vintage mechanical keyboards were stunning.

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Ensoniq KS32, Brodmann 187 Grand, JV2080, GR20, JV90, MKS-20, Sonar S1, Reaper, ACID, Record/Reason, Samplitude, VOX Tonelab, Tech21 Power Engine, NI, Kore, True Piano, Sampletank, Komplete, Bluesky Studio Monitors Yamaha 01X, Line 6 HD500, tons of guitars.

#1700608 - 06/23/11 02:29 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: rickshapiro]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rickshapiro
Played the Kronos at GC yesterday. I think it really is a game changer. I cannot see Yamaha, Roland, Nord or Kurzweil catching up unless they stop regurgitating old technology with small incremental features and start from scratch. Across the board I found the sounds rich and highly usable. The Pianos sounds surpassed any softpianos I've heard. The interface and screen are highly intuitive. I'm really impressed. By the way, the vintage mechanical keyboards were stunning.

Still waiting for my 88 but I've been going back to GC to learn as much about the Kronos on the 61. There are so many amazing sounds on the Kronos. The pianos, EPs and organ alone are reason for a keyboard player to check out the Kronos, but all the other sounds and features make the Kronos an amazing tool at a reasonable price. I just bought a Virus again for it's unique sounds, but between those 2 boards (and maybe a Roland V-synth GT) I can't think of much else I would want on the digital end.

Edited by Hideki Matsui (06/26/11 01:21 AM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1700616 - 06/23/11 02:44 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: rickshapiro]
cubop Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Loc: Norway
If my next keyboard wont be the Kronos, I will be very surprised. I will of course try before I buy, but it would be interesting to hear what people here have to say about the hammer action on the 73 and 88.Not too much about that on the Korg forum. I have seen the videos, so the only thing I have to test is the keyboard action. If I dont like the 88, I can buy the 61, control it from the MP6, and save some money. The best thing would be the 88. Then I could sell the MP6 and the Triton LE88, and manage very nicely with the Kronos and the Roland E80.

#1700619 - 06/23/11 02:54 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: cubop]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: cubop
If my next keyboard wont be the Kronos, I will be very surprised. I will of course try before I buy, but it would be interesting to hear what people here have to say about the hammer action on the 73 and 88.Not too much about that on the Korg forum. I have seen the videos, so the only thing I have to test is the keyboard action. If I dont like the 88, I can buy the 61, control it from the MP6, and save some money. The best thing would be the 88. Then I could sell the MP6 and the Triton LE88, and manage very nicely with the Kronos and the Roland E80.

Not a big issue but keep in mind that the Kronos pianos and EPs have note off velocity info. Most controllers do not have true note off velocity so Kronos will just get Note Off command with no velocity info. I think it is a minor issue, but I'm getting rid of my CP1 for that very reason. I'm not sure about the MP6.

I don't think the Korg action on the SV1 is as good as the CP1, but it isn't bad by any means.
Roland Jupiter 80

#1700640 - 06/23/11 03:31 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
MP6 = no note-off velocity. Was on my consideration list when comparing to Roland options (e.g. FP7F) which DO offer that feature. Decided I could live without that controller info ;-)

#1700653 - 06/23/11 04:01 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: JFP]
cubop Offline

Thanks for comments. The best way to control a keyboard is always to control it from the board itself, if the action is reasonably good. The action om the LE88 is surprisingly good, so good that for some things I prefer it to the MP6.
So one should expect the Kronos to be a bit better.
But the Kronos is available in Norway, so I will just find the nearest dealer who has a 73 or 88, and play it.

#1700655 - 06/23/11 04:03 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: JFP]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JFP
MP6 = no note-off velocity. Was on my consideration list when comparing to Roland options (e.g. FP7F) which DO offer that feature. Decided I could live without that controller info ;-)

I know the 700GX did true Note-off velocity. I thought the FP7 and F only did fixed value even thought it indicates it has note off velocity? I'm not sure about the 700NX.

Edited by Hideki Matsui (06/23/11 04:03 PM)
Roland Jupiter 80

#1700702 - 06/23/11 05:01 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
HwyStar Offline

Check out this Kronos review from a guy that really likes Yamaha boards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p59GmHrihQ8&feature=relmfu

It is a series of three videos. This is number one and he is playing a 61 semi-weighted board.

He is from http://www.GospelMusicians.com

#1700720 - 06/23/11 05:32 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Uhm, perhaps it has already been said , but does anyone know of the Kronos (88) has aftertouch ? Sales websites don't mention it...

Only thing that bothers me is the steep price of high end workstations in general, that certainly seem to be OK for what they deliver, but make a software solution based on a latest 4 core model MacBook Pro SSD + good keyboard a cheaper, but more flexible and extendable option in some respects.

Kronos and alike are state-of the art for the moment, but could become old fashioned in a few years as well. At the same time you can keep on upgrading your customizable software/hardware setup and keep using you setups and sounds when ported to a later model computer set. That makes your time and money investment more durable , but at the same time I still like the 'switch-on and just play without worries' advantage of hardware too. Tough decision...for now I would prefer a Kronos I guess; let's you concentrate more on music making instead of configuring and trying software continuously.

J

Edited by JFP (06/23/11 05:43 PM)

#1700730 - 06/23/11 05:47 PM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: JFP]
cubop Offline

I think I saw that on the Korg forum that Kronos has aftertouch, and very good aftertouch.

#1701713 - 06/25/11 09:14 AM Re: Kronos is out! [Re: Hideki Matsui]
Providence Offline

I have been waiting and waiting for a DP manufacturer to deliver a unit with a fully sampled multi giga grand piano streaming from an internal ssd and I love the fact that Korg delivered in that regard. The Kronos has too many extras for me though, I really wish they offered a stripped down 88 weighted key piano only model (including electric pianos). My initial thoughts are that the Kronos piano should be leagues ahead of the Supernatural piano from the Roland DP's. Has anybody compared the two? I was considering buying the FP7-f but now I'm leaning towards the Kronos (having never played the Kronos though).
Thanks in advance (This site is a wonderful resource for DP's)
N

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
169 registered (accordeur, acortot, A Guy, 36251, 46 invisible), 1784 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153544 Topics
2250260 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Learning Myths...
by evamar
12 minutes 39 seconds ago
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
Today at 10:34 AM
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
Today at 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
Today at 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:19 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission