2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Elssa Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi BobM;

I just got the NP30 today.. really love that Yamaha sound, especially the grand piano and vibraphone. I'll get used to that Voice button, though if I had to do over would probably have gotten the NP31 if it's easier to make changes. Anyway, Sweetwater sent me a different sustain pedal than the one I requested, so I'm not thrilled with the service. The keyboard didn't come with any adaptor/power supply (for $269.00), so just using it with batteries now. Would my Roland FP-5 adaptor be okay to use with this Yamaha? Thanks again for all the helpful info. smile

Last edited by Elssa; 06/14/11 09:51 PM.
D
D
You should head to radioshack or maybe lowes. Odds are you can get the right specs in the transformer for your keyboard.

B
B
Elssa,

I think that mine came with a rectangular foot switch that is simply sustain/no sustain. The NP-30 supports Half-pedaling, but you need to get the right pedal. If you don't already, you will soon have the name and Phone # of your Sweetwater person--it will be in an email, if not on your packing slips. I would call Sweetwater, and I am sure they will help you get the right pedal, they have a good reputation for service. I think I paid about $35 for a pedal which provides half-pedaling.

Don't know about the Roland power supply, but if there is a Goodwill Store near you, I'll bet you can find a power supply for $2. Look for something 10-12 volts DC, +on the center pin, anywhere from 700-1200 mA. All of this is printed on these little power supplies. My radio Shack has a bin of orphans, that they sell for $10, and some one there will help you get the right one (take your owner's manual in with you). It would seem a shame to pay $25-35 for a new one. Read the labeling on the Roland adaptor, it may work. It must be a DC adapter, + on the center pin, not more than 1200 mAmps, but other than that the NP 30 is pretty tolerant.

The built-in speakers are the weak link, but that is the compromise to make your new instrument so portable. My NP-30 is at the cottage, and I enjoy it with a good but old pair of Pioneer headphones I paid $3 for--so nice to hear the full range and colors of the Grand Piano voice, which you don't thru the speakers. I am assuming your Edirol"s are powered speakers. Again, Radio Shack can provide you with the adapter to split the headphone output to a right and left channel. When at the Studio, try using one side or the other, not both. If you listen thru headphones I think you will hear that the first grand piano has a definite left and right stereo sound. I hear the second piano as centered, sound seeming to come from the music stand. I'd bet this is the voice that will work best thru the mono PA.

We'll be interested in hearing how all of this works for you. Enjoy!

Bob M

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333
Elssa Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I ordered this for my NP30: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PedalSquare/ (It did not come with any type of pedal)
However, they sent me a heavier, more expensive model and charged me for it. frown I did send a note tonight that this must be picked up and they must send me what I ordered.

I have a Roland N18003 Adapter. Shouldn't this work with the Yamaha NP30? I'm just a little worried because the Yamaha brochure says to use a Yamaha Adapter.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Hi Elssa,

Please note that the "pedal square" that you originally ordered (but did not receive) is nothing but an on-off switch. You will probably want to reconsider keeping the heavier pedal they sent you (if you can afford to keep it) since those light pedal square switches are notorious for sliding around all over the place under your foot. And, unless you can manage to tape it to the floor, they generally aren't worth using.

Also, Bob M above is correct when he says you will want a pedal that offers half-pedaling capability too, and, even if you don't use that feature right away it is good to have, nonetheless. My advice would be to keep the heavier pedal as it is sure to be better in the long run, and, it will be less likely to move around as much when you are using it.

pv88

Elssa Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I should have mentioned that I already have a heavy foot pedal (with two pedals), and I just wanted a light little sustain pedal for this class/studio.. Just trying to get some decent portable stuff for that. I have a Roland KR-7 and FP-5 that I record from at home.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Elssa,

Okay, thanks for the clarification on the pedals that you are using.
(No need to make any changes then, with your current setup.)

Better quality sustain pedals are more than simple switches.

pv88

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Does Yamaha sell a case for the NP30 here yet? When I bought mine there was no carrying case sold here in the US. Seemed strange to sell something meant to be highly portable with no case. I did find such a case (specifically for the NP30)sold in Germany (Thomann)and ordered it for around $80 US. Nice case.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
Elssa Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
PV88,

Better quality sustain pedals are more than simple "switches."

Oh, I see... still getting used to the terminology. LOL confused
Thanks again, everyone, for all your great help. smile

B
B
Stanza,

Perhaps Elssa and others will not mind a digression. I see you have a full range of piano options...., at your finger tips (sorry). How do you use your NP-30? Mine is at a summer cottage we occupy about 1 week/month.

Bob M

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission