Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1695127 - 06/13/11 07:44 PM FREEHAND MUSIC PAD PRO VS IPAD 2?
BLUEPIANIST Offline

Loc: NH, NEAR OCEAN
Anyone using either one of these for teaching or score playing?
Any plusses? Ideas?
Atkinson, NH. USA

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1695478 - 06/14/11 01:15 PM Re: FREEHAND MUSIC PAD PRO VS IPAD 2? [Re: BLUEPIANIST]
NeilOS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: BLUEPIANIST
Any plusses? Ideas?

I think a program called Music Reader has gone them one better. It's ideal for becoming a "paperless" pianist, as they characterize it. I use Music Reader with a Lenovo ThinkPad and wireless page-turn pedal for completely hands free page turning. It's great for practicing or performing, especially for collaborative work. There are some links at the very bottom of my blog. (I don't work for them.)

I haven't used it in teaching, though it might be fun to do so, You can write on the pages, using pictures, colors and then erase them as needed. You can have different markings for different students or collaborators who are playing the same piece.

Edited by NeilOS (06/14/11 05:54 PM)

#1695667 - 06/14/11 07:19 PM Re: FREEHAND MUSIC PAD PRO VS IPAD 2? [Re: BLUEPIANIST]
Luke in ChiTown Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use my iPad almost exclusively for my sheet music, as I am on the go a lot, and I love being able to easily carry all of my repertoire around with me.

I used Music Reader in the past when I had a crummy Tablet PC, and it did the job, but if you are going with an iPad as a sheet music reader, I recommend ForScore. It works with the excellent Bluetooth page flipper called AirTurn, made by the people who designed Music Reader.

I use the free service, Dropbox to store all of my scores. My Dropbox can be accessed using the free Dropbox app on the iPad, and from there I can open scores directly in ForScore. It's a tad cumbersome, but you only need do it once for each score, and then you always have it with you.

FWIW, the first generation iPad is available in refurbished models (with full warranty) on the online Apple store for only $350!! A heck of a deal if you don't need any of the extra features of the iPad 2. I picked up two of them, one for my church gig, and one for personal use. The screen on the iPad is just a bit small, but works great for lead sheets. It works well enough for full scores too if you start with a clear scan and trim off excess blank margins so the music fills the full screen.

Airturn

forScore - MGS Development
Now available for Android as well as iOS devices.

#1695699 - 06/14/11 08:19 PM Re: FREEHAND MUSIC PAD PRO VS IPAD 2? [Re: Luke in ChiTown]
NeilOS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Luke in ChiTown
I use my iPad almost exclusively for my sheet music, as I am on the go a lot, and I love being able to easily carry all of my repertoire around with me.

I used Music Reader in the past when I had a crummy Tablet PC, and it did the job, but if you are going with an iPad as a sheet music reader, I recommend ForScore. It works with the excellent Bluetooth page flipper called AirTurn, made by the people who designed Music Reader.

I use the free service, Dropbox to store all of my scores. My Dropbox can be accessed using the free Dropbox app on the iPad, and from there I can open scores directly in ForScore. It's a tad cumbersome, but you only need do it once for each score, and then you always have it with you.

FWIW, the first generation iPad is available in refurbished models (with full warranty) on the online Apple store for only $350!! A heck of a deal if you don't need any of the extra features of the iPad 2. I picked up two of them, one for my church gig, and one for personal use. The screen on the iPad is just a bit small, but works great for lead sheets. It works well enough for full scores too if you start with a clear scan and trim off excess blank margins so the music fills the full screen.

Airturn

forScore - MGS Development

I find the iPad too small for reading at the keyboard. That's how bad my eyes are...

Edited by NeilOS (06/14/11 08:30 PM)

#1695726 - 06/14/11 09:46 PM Re: FREEHAND MUSIC PAD PRO VS IPAD 2? [Re: BLUEPIANIST]
DadAgain Offline

Loc: Brisbane, QLD
I've thought about this - but iPads are just too small.

I've considered the following:

AirTurn + 2 pedals: $100
22" LCD screen: $150
Crappy old small form factor desktop PC: free (already own and dont use)
USB Tablet and Pen: free (already own and dont use)
PDFXChangeViewer: free (freeware tool for viewing and ANOTATING PDFs)
==========================
TOTAL COST $250

..and for that I get a screen big enough to view 2 A4 pages at a time, pedal based page turning and an entire library of music stored neatly on disk without books and loose sheets of paper floating around making the place untidy....

However it also means extra cabling around the piano, an inability to move music from our piano to teachers piano (meaning any markups done by teacher in lessons have to be re-created digitally when we get home) - and means my repertoire becomes seriously reduced in the event of a power blackout! (..and lets face it thats one of the joys of the piano - you CAN keep yourself entertained in low light conditions when all others toys are 'out of commission'!)

So I havent done it yet... Can anyone see any *serious* drawbacks? Is there a better way that doesnt cost a fortune?
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)

#1695848 - 06/15/11 01:57 AM Re: FREEHAND MUSIC PAD PRO VS IPAD 2? [Re: DadAgain]
NeilOS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: DadAgain

I've considered the following:

AirTurn + 2 pedals: $100
22" LCD screen: $150
Crappy old small form factor desktop PC: free (already own and dont use)
USB Tablet and Pen: free (already own and dont use)
PDFXChangeViewer: free (freeware tool for viewing and ANOTATING PDFs)
==========================
TOTAL COST $250

..and for that I get a screen big enough to view 2 A4 pages at a time, pedal based page turning and an entire library of music stored neatly on disk without books and loose sheets of paper floating around making the place untidy....

However it also means extra cabling around the piano, an inability to move music from our piano to teachers piano (meaning any markups done by teacher in lessons have to be re-created digitally when we get home) - and means my repertoire becomes seriously reduced in the event of a power blackout! (..and lets face it thats one of the joys of the piano - you CAN keep yourself entertained in low light conditions when all others toys are 'out of commission'!)

So I havent done it yet... Can anyone see any *serious* drawbacks? Is there a better way that doesnt cost a fortune?

I use the AirTurn wireless pedals. To be self-sufficient, you need a battery-powered tablet (convertible?) PC. I love my Lenovo ($$$), but there are cheaper ones. Have you seen this: Hugh Sung PC Demo

#1695859 - 06/15/11 03:28 AM Re: FREEHAND MUSIC PAD PRO VS IPAD 2? [Re: BLUEPIANIST]
J.A.S Offline

Loc: Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted By: BLUEPIANIST
Any plusses? Ideas?

Not exactly what you ask about in the subject line, but this is my earlier post in a similar thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1667276

#1696440 - 06/16/11 01:32 PM Re: FREEHAND MUSIC PAD PRO VS IPAD 2? [Re: Luke in ChiTown]
Gary001 Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Luke in ChiTown
It works with the excellent Bluetooth page flipper called AirTurn, made by the people who designed Music Reader.

Air Turn is by AirTurn Inc. which Hugh Sung ( who often posts here smile ) is a co-founder of, it's afaik unrelated to Leone the makers of MusicReader other than they resell the AirTurn.

I currently use an older version of MusicReader on the iPad and have for a while now. I tried out the basic version of the MusicReader PDF update but wasn't impressed enough with the changes to warrant a paid upgrade. Not only that, but the new version crashed several times whilst I was trying it out and page turns were very slow.

I wasn't aware of ForScore despite an app store search, thanks for the heads up smile Had a quick read through their manual and features list and I'm tempted to buy it and give it a go. Although it'll likely mean re-flashing my pedal to use whatever key presses ForScore expects (I'm guessing it's using cursor up/down?)

Quote:

If you crop your scores to remove all the extra whitespace and only view a page at a time, the score only needs to be reduced a small amount to display on the iPad screen. Although whether that's tolerable is going to be an individual thing.

Edited by Gary001 (06/16/11 01:41 PM)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
125 registered (aesop, accordeur, Almaviva, 36251, 36 invisible), 1410 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156850 Topics
2304668 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sheet music question
by Coconutyoghurt
1 minute 51 seconds ago
Smelly MP11 (or MP7)?
by rungabic
8 minutes 21 seconds ago
Hi Everyone
by JoyBug
38 minutes 27 seconds ago
Do pianists care?
by Ed Foote
56 minutes 53 seconds ago
Can we strengthen the fingers?
by rov
Today at 08:53 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission