Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1698032 - 06/19/11 10:57 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: Saul]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Saul: It would be better if you did things like this without going negative on something, but maybe you can't help it. Do you really need to diss Liszt like that? Couldn't you make your points without it? Especially since Liszt isn't the subject here, not even close.

I don't love Liszt as much as many people here either, but what you're saying is even giving me the willies. ha

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1698050 - 06/19/11 11:31 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: Orange Soda King]
Skorpius Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Hmm. I don't think it's as much about "virtuosic" music vs. "slow and lyrical" music, or even fast playing vs. slow playing. Because, I don't believe faster = less musical and slower = more musical.

I think it's more about the performer playing only for themselves instead of caring about the composer and the (overwhelming?) desire to be true to music and the proper style/taste for whatever music is being played. And I feel this care should be more (MUCH more) than the desire to win competitions, get lots of performance opportunities, gain a big reputation, make money, etc... It's MUSIC people, not some way to promote yourself! A very fine art that you enjoy because of how amazing it is (and because I personally believe it is a gift from God, one of the very best things he blessed mankind with).

But whatever you believe, you should NOT believe music is just a way to glorify yourself.

Exactly! People need to start getting their priorities of music straight. I play first, for God and for myself. I play second for an audience and judges.

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

#1698083 - 06/19/11 12:33 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: Skorpius]
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Skorpius
I had an interesting conversation with my teacher today. He told me that when he studied with Dame Myra Hess, she told him that she felt that virtuosos of the time, namely Horowitz, had ruined two generations of potential musicians because many tried too hard to be flashy and virtuostic like him...what is your opinion? Has "showing off" become a goal for many rather than making music?

I don't particularly agree. First of all, the trend of being "flashy and virtuostic" is one that existed far before Horowitz (dating back to to Liszt and Pagannini). Then there were those who proudly and starkly had a self-awareness of themselves NOT being like Horowitz (Arrau, Serkin, Schiff, Gould, Rubinstein, Fleisher are a few examples).

#1698090 - 06/19/11 12:52 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: Skorpius]
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member

One thing I'll add is that I've never understood why so many people automatically equate fast and loud playing with shallowness and superficiality, and slow and meditative playing with depth and musicianship..

..."musicality"- as I define it - is playing that best communicates the emotions and meanings inherent in the music being played. Let us say two pianists are playing the Chopin 4th Ballade - one plays the coda not too fast, with careful attention to balance and voicing, not letting anything get out of control. The other pianist gets worked up into a wild frenzy of passion, takes an extraordinary tempo, and there is a bit of banging and rushing, and a sense of being "on edge". For me, it is paradoxically the second pianist who is the more "musical" one, as his playing is closer to the essence of what that coda is about.

#1698107 - 06/19/11 01:39 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: polyphasicpianist]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: polyphasicpianist
Does anyone else find this interesting: Hess criticises Horowitz and his contemporaries of mechanical performance; and now, to criticise the current generation of virtuosi of mechanical performance, we use Horowitz as an example of what is not mechanical.

Skorpius' paraphrase of his teacher paraphrasing Myra Hess doesn't, by my reading, accuse Horowitz of mechanical performance.

I understand it to mean that many pianists, "two generations" of them, were impressed by Horowitz's virtuostity and served of it as a model but did not understand the profound musicality that accompanied the virtuosity and perhaps even preceeded it and engendered it.

#1698126 - 06/19/11 02:18 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: Opus_Maximus]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Opus_Maximus
....Let us say two pianists are playing the Chopin 4th Ballade - one plays the coda not too fast, with careful attention to balance and voicing, not letting anything get out of control. The other pianist gets worked up into a wild frenzy of passion, takes an extraordinary tempo, and there is a bit of banging and rushing, and a sense of being "on edge". For me, it is paradoxically the second pianist who is the more "musical" one, as his playing is closer to the essence of what that coda is about.

You bet "paradoxically." ha
That was a surprise ending to what you were saying.

Of course it's a matter of degree. I'm sure there's a level of "banging and rushing" beyond which you'd think the first pianist was being more musical....

Originally Posted By: landorrano
Skorpius' paraphrase of his teacher paraphrasing Myra Hess doesn't, by my reading, accuse Horowitz of mechanical performance...

You're right!
I sort of misread it, and others may have also.

#1698454 - 06/20/11 03:03 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: Orange Soda King]
LaReginadellaNotte Offline

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
I think it's more about the performer playing only for themselves instead of caring about the composer and the (overwhelming?) desire to be true to music and the proper style/taste for whatever music is being played. And I feel this care should be more (MUCH more) than the desire to win competitions, get lots of performance opportunities, gain a big reputation, make money, etc... It's MUSIC people, not some way to promote yourself! A very fine art that you enjoy because of how amazing it is (and because I personally believe it is a gift from God, one of the very best things he blessed mankind with).

But whatever you believe, you should NOT believe music is just a way to glorify yourself.

I don't see why you can't have both: a desire to glorify yourself and a profound ambition to serve the music. After all, if you use your technique at the service of your musical ideas, your playing will be much more captivating and you should be able to achieve an even greater level of fame and recognition. If Horowitz had played in a mindless, mechanical fashion- as many of his imitators do- then he would never have become as famous and idolized as he is.

I think that if musicians are totally honest with ourselves, the desire to be perceived as a great, elite person is what spurs us to work toward musical mastery. People saw how much excitement Horowitz could generate and how so many people idolized him. Thus, they wanted to imitate him in hopes of achieving the same level of prestige.

As others have mentioned, I think it's clear that it is Horowitz's imitators who have leaned toward shallow virtuosity, not Horowitz himself. Even in his earliest years, Horowitz always had a keen musical mind, and his playing never ignored the expressive qualities of the music. It isn't Horowitz's fault that the pianists imitating him only tried to reproduce the most bombastic aspects of his style. As we all realize, Horowitz's musical personality was much more complex than that.

Edited by LaReginadellaNotte (06/20/11 03:04 AM)

#1698465 - 06/20/11 04:01 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: LaReginadellaNotte]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: LaReginadellaNotte

I think that if musicians are totally honest with ourselves, the desire to be perceived as a great, elite person is what spurs us to work toward musical mastery.

Excuse me, that is not how one becomes a great musician, that is how one becomes a patheic human being.

#1698470 - 06/20/11 04:30 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: landorrano]
wuxia Offline

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Precisely. They key factor of becoming a great musician without setting it as a goal is to be humble in the whole spectrum of the human endeavour. Even Bach said it : 'The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.'. Being a great, elite person sounds immature and rather ridiculous compared to just the sheer brilliance of the succession of notes themselves in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeY5T5WdUBE#t=4m55s . What I'm trying to say is not 'Be humble and you'll be a great musician', what I'm trying to say is that nobody knows why music appeals so much to human beings and just being a small part of it already enobles you.

#1698471 - 06/20/11 04:34 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: LaReginadellaNotte]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada

juxtaposing:
If Horowitz had played in a mindless, mechanical fashion- as many of his imitators do- then he would never have become as famous and idolized as he is.

with

I think that if musicians are totally honest with ourselves, the desire to be perceived as a great, elite person is what spurs us to work toward musical mastery..

The person who is the musician par excellence is Horowitz. He did not desire to be pereceived as a great elite person. He put his attention to understanding music and playing it well. That coincidentally turned him into a great musician. If you aim toward how others perceive you, then you will miss the boat.

#1698472 - 06/20/11 04:35 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: LaReginadellaNotte]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

I think that if musicians are totally honest with ourselves, the desire to be perceived as a great, elite person is what spurs us to work toward musical mastery.

Yeah, if you're Lang Lang. Of course, musical mastery is not terminology that can be used to describe his work. Technical mastery? Ok. But musical mastery? Absolutely not.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1698474 - 06/20/11 04:36 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: wuxia]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wuxia
nobody knows why music appeals so much to human beings and just being a small part of it already enobles you.

Now that is nicely said.

And welcome Wuxia to the forum.

Edited by landorrano (06/20/11 04:38 AM)

#1698481 - 06/20/11 05:11 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: landorrano]
wuxia Offline

Originally Posted By: wuxia
nobody knows why music appeals so much to human beings and just being a small part of it already enobles you.

Now that is nicely said.

And welcome Wuxia to the forum.

Thank you kind sir =]

#1698494 - 06/20/11 06:22 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: Skorpius]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
I m down with landorrano and Wuxia

#1698703 - 06/20/11 02:59 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: keystring]

Originally Posted By: keystring
The person who is the musician par excellence is Horowitz. He did not desire to be pereceived as a great elite person. He put his attention to understanding music and playing it well. That coincidentally turned him into a great musician. If you aim toward how others perceive you, then you will miss the boat.

What makes you think that Horowitz didn't want to be perceived as a great, elite person? His biographies say that he was always very status-conscious (which may explain why he wanted to be the son-in-law of Toscanini) and was concerned with being perceived as the greatest, most famous pianist who always played to sold-out halls. Since Horowitz might despair over even the slightest criticism, it seems like he was extremely concerned with how people perceived him.

It's my understanding that the two desires go hand in hand. If you are obsessed with obtaining prestige through music, then you will be motivated to put forth the utmost effort to develop the highest level of musical artistry- as Horowitz did.

Wuxia, I think it's important to remember that Bach was a devout Christian. If a person feels very strongly about Christianity, it isn't surprising that he or she would connect music to the glory of God.

Stores, Lang Lang's problem is that he is either unwilling or unable to develop the discipline needed for true musical mastery. He could obtain an even greater level of fame if he learned to play at Horowitz's level of artistry.

#1698706 - 06/20/11 03:03 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: LaReginadellaNotte]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Stores, Lang Lang's problem is that he is either unwilling or unable to develop the discipline needed for true musical mastery. He could obtain an even greater level of fame if he learned to play at Horowitz's level of artistry.

No, Lang's problem is that he only cares about Lang, which is easy to believe, since he has his head stuck up his ass.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1698861 - 06/20/11 07:17 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: LaReginadellaNotte]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

His biographies say that he was always very status-conscious (which may explain why he wanted to be the son-in-law of Toscanini) and was concerned with being perceived as the greatest, most famous pianist who always played to sold-out halls.

But you are mixing things up. I don't really know anything about Horowitz, but I am sure that if you have the idea that it is this "obsession with obtaining prestige" that led him or anyone else to become a great musician, you are really off base.

You interpret his artistic accomplishment as a weapon against the world. But we are talking about a musician, not Robocop.

Be a little tender. Great artists are only human and they are full of contradictions, no less than the rest of us. They can have their weaknesses, their silly traits of character, they might be filled with fears of all sorts, even hysterical before their own greatest qualities.

Edited by landorrano (06/20/11 07:18 PM)

#1699011 - 06/20/11 11:22 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: landorrano]

But you are mixing things up. I don't really know anything about Horowitz, but I am sure that if you have the idea that it is this "obsession with obtaining prestige" that led him or anyone else to become a great musician, you are really off base.

What makes you think that I am offbase? It appears that Horowitz was obsessed with prestige, as the anecdotes that I cited suggest. If that was the case, then why it is it so far-fetched to say that the desire for prestige is what motivated Horowitz to become the greatest pianist?

#1699126 - 06/21/11 03:05 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: stores]
BadOrange Offline

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: stores

Yeah, if you're Lang Lang. Of course, musical mastery is not terminology that can be used to describe his work. Technical mastery? Ok. But musical mastery? Absolutely not.

he is what 29 ? I think he is doing ok and what ever musicality you think he lacks, that will come with maturity.

#1699141 - 06/21/11 03:45 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: BadOrange]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BadOrange
Originally Posted By: stores

he is what 29 ? I think he is doing ok and what ever musicality you think he lacks, that will come with maturity.

He sucks. Period.

By the way, you never did answer my question elsewhere which was...who did you study with at Curtis?

♪ ≠ $

#1699152 - 06/21/11 04:20 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: LaReginadellaNotte]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

What makes you think that I am offbase?

In guise of an answer, let me ask you: what drives you ? Why do you play music ?

#1699156 - 06/21/11 04:31 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: Skorpius]
BadOrange Offline

Loc: Banned
I think the reason I didn't answer quite clear but if I must spell it out, I guess I will spell it out.

The fact that I admitted to forging a document and the rather idiotic notion of providing someone that has already displayed a rather opulent dislike and a somewhat misplaced interest in the personal life of someone which they have no relation either personal or business, as far as we know. which to be honest is somewhat disturbing. well i think that is perhaps a good reason.

There is a thread in the teacher's corner where I criticize the approach most teachers including the ones I had the pleasure of having.

Now you seemed to play, play being the operant word , detective rather well in that first attempt to pry answer so perhaps Sherlock can deduce some reasons why I wouldn't divulge that information to you. What sort of idiot would purposefully give information that can only serve a negative purpose.

Now let me reciprocate as this sluthing seems quite fun. Now from my angle, I see a bitter old pianist who never quite attained any level of significance, the kawaii was as give away , who has a chip on his/her shoulder where he / she feels the need to insult any pianist they feel is not perfect or to their liking. A professional would not judge another musician in such childish and meaningless ways such as you did. "He just sucks" . However those types of asseseements are quite typical of the annoying teenager or in your case, the jaded 50 year old that can't get passed the notion that they never made it. I can honestly see why thinking everyone is awful would actually make you feel better.

Now i do apologize if I am way off as I probably don't spend as much time as you trying to assure myself that everyone else is worse which I imagine requires a fair amount of deduction imagination and Guinness book worthy pessimism. What I can say is that your negativity and somewhat weird interest in others for reasons I'm sure we can agree are not in good faith really do come across as the actions of a failed unhappy person that projects this awful attitude unto others any chance they get. Again I could be wrong. Its just hard to see things any other way when you have been around successful musicians, conductors, composers. They don't seem to share your distasteful pessimism. So I can only assume that since you seem to act in a way that is completely foreign to what most successful people exude, well what else am I to conclude. So there you go.

But regardless of your success or lack there of, do you not find it somewhat sad that someone your age, almost 50, has this yearning to invent drama for reasons , i just don't get. What could you possibly gain even if all your ill conceived delusions where true, What if I was actually a drummer who for some reason decided to join a piano forum then when prompted regarding what school they went to , researched a good school to impress people and say Curtis. Now if I was lying, how hard would it be for me to just google the school and get a name of a teacher ? So your entire endeavour just seems entirely pointless silly and worst of all sad. You sad little person.

And to end this ,

Lang Lang in your words might just suck but he isn't playing a shitty upright Kawai, he sure as heck isn't approaching his 50's attacking behind a screen other musicians. And while you are just being an out right jerk , he is getting paid to do what he loves with some of the greatest musicians on earth.

I think his answer to your criticism would be , I may suck but you can suck it.

Edited by BadOrange (06/21/11 04:42 AM)

#1699162 - 06/21/11 05:14 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: BadOrange]
Mark_C Offline

Orange: Regardless of what anybody thinks of anybody, they need to find other ways to say it than you just did, or else they won't be here long. Nor on any other decent internet forum, or probably anywhere else either.

(Sheesh, that's twice on one page that I've given "advice".....)
We do what we can.

#1699164 - 06/21/11 05:17 AM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: LaReginadellaNotte]
wuxia Offline

Originally Posted By: keystring

What makes you think that Horowitz didn't want to be perceived as a great, elite person? His biographies say that he was always very status-conscious (which may explain why he wanted to be the son-in-law of Toscanini) and was concerned with being perceived as the greatest, most famous pianist who always played to sold-out halls. Since Horowitz might despair over even the slightest criticism, it seems like he was extremely concerned with how people perceived him.

It's my understanding that the two desires go hand in hand. If you are obsessed with obtaining prestige through music, then you will be motivated to put forth the utmost effort to develop the highest level of musical artistry- as Horowitz did.

Wuxia, I think it's important to remember that Bach was a devout Christian. If a person feels very strongly about Christianity, it isn't surprising that he or she would connect music to the glory of God.

I referred to Bach being a devout Christian as an illustration of what a hoax is to be a great and elite person. The more meaningful words in the quote are in the end 'refreshment of the soul'. I think the semantic translation would be that Bach accepts himself as a part of something greater than himself.
Therefore he isn't occupating an environment which he can conquer as opposed to Horowitz.

It's fair to say though that we can't really connect to those two individuals directly and therefore our speculation on what are the reasons behind their music stays just a speculation. The only impression I've had from Horowitz is from the documentary filmed at his home. From the little he said I got the notion that he's a bit egocentric and felt as a bit of an exile.

Just to clarify, I'm not a Christian of any sort and I'm not the one that brought up Horowitz in the first place, I just continued the line of thought connected to him. My main point is that in the world of the supposedly egocentric musician who pursues music just for the sake of being a great, elite person the highest bar is easily attainable compared to the world of the other individual who has already accepted that he's smaller than the whole and therefore there is no highest bar, there's only contribution and his nobleness isn't judged by the music itself but by his being.

#1699387 - 06/21/11 02:19 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: landorrano]

What makes you think that I am offbase?

In guise of an answer, let me ask you: what drives you ? Why do you play music ?

My interest in music has always been predicated on the prospect of being the greatest in the world. I heard how much excitement Horowitz could generate and saw how admired he was, and as a result, I was interested in trying to do something similar.

Wuxia, are you saying that Horowitz had a very different goal than Bach? From my point of view, Horowitz's alleged motivation (to have people perceive him as a great, elite person) makes much more sense than playing for the sake of some nebulous higher power.

#1699408 - 06/21/11 03:28 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: LaReginadellaNotte]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

My interest in music has always been predicated on the prospect of being the greatest in the world.

Excellent. So, how's it going .. or has Sarastro foiled your quest ?

#1699415 - 06/21/11 03:42 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: landorrano]

The experiences I've had suggest that I may be on the right track. Are you saying that one shouldn't want to be the greatest? Is there anything wrong with such an ambition, especially if Horowitz himself thought along those lines?

#1699492 - 06/21/11 06:16 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: LaReginadellaNotte]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The experiences I've had suggest that I may be on the right track.

Excellent, keep it up then.

And to think that I knew you when you wre just a schlep on an internet forum.

#1699497 - 06/21/11 06:22 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: BadOrange]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I think the reason I didn't answer quite clear but if I must spell it out, I guess I will spell it out.

The fact that I admitted to forging a document and the rather idiotic notion of providing someone that has already displayed a rather opulent dislike and a somewhat misplaced interest in the personal life of someone which they have no relation either personal or business, as far as we know. which to be honest is somewhat disturbing. well i think that is perhaps a good reason.

There is a thread in the teacher's corner where I criticize the approach most teachers including the ones I had the pleasure of having.

Now you seemed to play, play being the operant word , detective rather well in that first attempt to pry answer so perhaps Sherlock can deduce some reasons why I wouldn't divulge that information to you. What sort of idiot would purposefully give information that can only serve a negative purpose.

Now let me reciprocate as this sluthing seems quite fun. Now from my angle, I see a bitter old pianist who never quite attained any level of significance, the kawaii was as give away , who has a chip on his/her shoulder where he / she feels the need to insult any pianist they feel is not perfect or to their liking. A professional would not judge another musician in such childish and meaningless ways such as you did. "He just sucks" . However those types of asseseements are quite typical of the annoying teenager or in your case, the jaded 50 year old that can't get passed the notion that they never made it. I can honestly see why thinking everyone is awful would actually make you feel better.

Now i do apologize if I am way off as I probably don't spend as much time as you trying to assure myself that everyone else is worse which I imagine requires a fair amount of deduction imagination and Guinness book worthy pessimism. What I can say is that your negativity and somewhat weird interest in others for reasons I'm sure we can agree are not in good faith really do come across as the actions of a failed unhappy person that projects this awful attitude unto others any chance they get. Again I could be wrong. Its just hard to see things any other way when you have been around successful musicians, conductors, composers. They don't seem to share your distasteful pessimism. So I can only assume that since you seem to act in a way that is completely foreign to what most successful people exude, well what else am I to conclude. So there you go.

But regardless of your success or lack there of, do you not find it somewhat sad that someone your age, almost 50, has this yearning to invent drama for reasons , i just don't get. What could you possibly gain even if all your ill conceived delusions where true, What if I was actually a drummer who for some reason decided to join a piano forum then when prompted regarding what school they went to , researched a good school to impress people and say Curtis. Now if I was lying, how hard would it be for me to just google the school and get a name of a teacher ? So your entire endeavour just seems entirely pointless silly and worst of all sad. You sad little person.

And to end this ,

Lang Lang in your words might just suck but he isn't playing a shitty upright Kawai, he sure as heck isn't approaching his 50's attacking behind a screen other musicians. And while you are just being an out right jerk , he is getting paid to do what he loves with some of the greatest musicians on earth.

I think his answer to your criticism would be , I may suck but you can suck it.

Quite honestly, I could care less what you think of me, fruitboy. I simply asked with whom you studied while at Curtis, but I'm going to now assume (which I already more or less had) that I was correct regarding the fact that your time at Curtis was a complete fabrication (as was your nice little story about forged letters, etc., which I could care less about). If I'm wrong then do come forward and prove it. Just give me the dates you attended Curtis and your teacher's name. Your secret will be safe with me (at least here). Of course you won't do this, because you cannot.

♪ ≠ $

#1699529 - 06/21/11 07:19 PM Re: Has virtuosity overshadowed musicality? [Re: BadOrange]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
...But regardless of your success or lack there of, do you not find it somewhat sad that someone your age, almost 50, has this yearning to invent drama for reasons...

Bad,

stores certainly doesn't need me to defend him, so I'll just say that this kind of personal attack has no place on these forums. Calling someone clueless, or even an idiot, is one thing. Insulting his piano is something else.

In 67 posts you've sure made an impression. I'm not sure this is the right place for you.

-Jason

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq vs Digital Piano vs Acoustic Piano
by wildpig
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Baldwin Hamilton 1941
by JMN12
Yesterday at 11:13 PM
Tucson, AZ: Is Arizona Room a bad place for a piano?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:14 PM
Kissin plays...
by JoelW
Yesterday at 07:33 PM
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
Yesterday at 05:51 PM
Who's Online
75 registered (Al LaPorte, barbaram, 255, AEMontoya, 17 invisible), 1016 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157573 Topics
2314559 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission