Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
82 registered (Anita Potter, anamnesis, ando, accordeur, Almaviva, 23 invisible), 1327 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1699968 - 06/22/11 02:02 PM Notation Software
pist Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Guys
Does anybody know about "music writing software"?

I bought a CLP330 a year ago, mainly for my children (age 8/preparing for gr1 and 10/ for gr3) to practise on.

My oldest spends quite some time composing her own tunes and I was wondering, is there some (fairly inexpensive) software out there, that would allow her to connect the laptop to the clp330 (maybe via the USB), play her music and then the software writes the notes, so she can print it?

Thanks
:)pist

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#1699976 - 06/22/11 02:24 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
azandj Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Try Finale NotePad ($9.95) or Finale Songwriter ($49.95).

#1700005 - 06/22/11 03:20 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
pianoxcape Offline

Loc: Cape Cod
You can also check out "noteflight" (www.noteflight.com) - it's a free online program.
Teacher, Entrepreneur...Parent

#1700012 - 06/22/11 03:42 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Linux has a great free tool called "Rosegarden"
On other platform, I've heard of MuseScore, but have not tried
Mac has Garage band, which is OK.

#1700063 - 06/22/11 05:21 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: knotty]
Per Baekgaard Offline

Loc: Danmark
Originally Posted By: knotty

MuseScore (musescore.org) works on Linux, Mac OS-X and Windows. It is quite powerful program that can do a lot of stuff.

-- Per.

Edited by Per Baekgaard (06/22/11 05:21 PM)

#1700363 - 06/23/11 07:08 AM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA

Edited by dannac (06/23/11 07:10 AM)

#1700688 - 06/23/11 04:41 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: Per Baekgaard]
TwinHammer Offline

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: Per Baekgaard
Originally Posted By: knotty

MuseScore (musescore.org) works on Linux, Mac OS-X and Windows. It is quite powerful program that can do a lot of stuff.

-- Per.

I use MuseScore myself, and I like it. It satisfies my needs and the (free) pricetag can't be beat.

#1701004 - 06/24/11 05:29 AM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
kiedysktos. Offline

Loc: Europe, Poland
MuseScore looks like nice option, I like their Youtube clips explaining how to use it.

I use Finale Notepad, some older version, which is free smile

#1701016 - 06/24/11 06:20 AM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
Siriosys Offline

Loc: Auckland, NZ
When I was looking around for software, I found the following link which reviewed most of the more well-known products in this category to be very helpful.

http://music-notation-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

I've ended up with Sibelius First - although even that's a bit more than i really need.

Finale notepad / Songwriter was gonna be my next choice.

#1702137 - 06/26/11 01:04 AM Re: Notation Software [Re: Siriosys]
azandj Offline

Originally Posted By: Siriosys
I've ended up with Sibelius First - although even that's a bit more than i really need.

Finale notepad / Songwriter was gonna be my next choice.

I personally use Sibelius, but there are so many unnecessary features... for the price difference, I would say Finale still wins...

#1702153 - 06/26/11 01:37 AM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
Siriosys Offline

azandj,

I'm interested in which package you've found easier to master?

A lot of people find notation software a little difficult to get used to.

Personally for me, I require note-entry via a piano/MIDI instrument keyboard as using a mouse/Mac keyboard is difficult due to my restricted eye-sight.

Although I do use Sibelius, I'm always interested to find out if there's any other packages that make entry from an instrument keyboard easy.

#1702507 - 06/26/11 05:11 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: Siriosys]
azandj Offline

I'm interested in which package you've found easier to master?

To me they are very similar because I only use the basic notation features. I don't use them for composition, but rather to make a note of something I am playing by ear.

Personally for me, I require note-entry via a piano/MIDI instrument keyboard as using a mouse/Mac keyboard is difficult due to my restricted eye-sight.

I know it is quite ironic due to the fact that I am in the DP forums all the time, but I actually don't have a MIDI instrument. When I am working in Sibelius I use the on-screen keyboard. The keyboard can be stretched to be quite large, but the symbols for the notes, etc. are still quite small. If you were to use Sibelius a lot, I'd suggest getting the keyboard cover that has all of the symbols on it.

#1702640 - 06/26/11 10:51 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: pist
My oldest spends quite some time composing her own tunes and I was wondering, is there some (fairly inexpensive) software out there, that would allow her to connect the laptop to the clp330 (maybe via the USB), play her music and then the software writes the notes, so she can print it?...

If the computer is an Apple Mac, then you don't need aditional software. They can print music notation as you describe right out of the box. Look for "Garage Band" in the "apps" folder.

f you have to buy software then a few features to look for. The first is good "quantization" What happens if you don't play with perfect precision is that you end up with a 64th note tied to a half note or a dotted 16th where you wanted an 1/8th. In other words the software will write what you played, not what you wanted. The better software is "smart" and knows what a measure is, the time signature and knows what key you are in and makes more reasonable output. So check the reviews.

None of iot is perfect so you need a good music editor to correct it's miss-guesses.

#1702869 - 06/27/11 10:00 AM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
Gary001 Offline

I've been using lilypond. There's example's of the layout it produces on the site.

The biggest hurdle though is that it's not GUI based, but instead you enter the music in text and run it through lilypond to produce the output. The end results are amazing though.

Have a read through this essay it covers the reason behind lilypond and has some pretty interesting notes about music engraving.

#1702923 - 06/27/11 11:28 AM Re: Notation Software [Re: Gary001]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: Gary001
I've been using lilypond. There's example's of the layout it produces on the site.

I've used Lilypond some and can recommend it as well. It gives very nice looking PDF output. But it can be a bit intimidating at first if you've never used a markup language or LaTEX or similar. Start with something simple and work your way up. You sort of have to develop a coding style.

#1702971 - 06/27/11 12:43 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Munich, Germany
If you ever used something like LaTEX or PHP or C++ lilypond is for you... Even if you're an IT noob there are good chances you get addicted to the very easy way this tool works. There are even very mature addons for it with a complete UI for easy WYSIWYG (I like the jedit UI).

#1702993 - 06/27/11 01:09 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
TBrown Offline

Loc: Wilmington, DE
I also use Musescore and tend to like it. There is another free program (open source) that is similar called Aria Maestosa. It's a little bit more grahically based, so may appeal to some.

#1703162 - 06/27/11 06:11 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: Gary001]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gary001

The biggest hurdle though is that it's not GUI based,

Markup is not hard to learn. But the OP wants soething different. He wants to noodle around on the piano and record as he tries out ideas. The recording is so can go back and look at what he played.

I stil recommend simply using "Garage Band" and then maybe graduating to Logic. These have features for playing around, like "cyclic" recording where you can play a phrase over and over but the recording "stacks" then, later you can audition the version and move the best "take" to the top. This works for vocalist too who want to experiment. The editor is also "non-destructive" so edits and deletes and cut and past can be un-done. "stacks" move as a unit with only the top of the stack being exposed. You really need these kinds of things to capture your experiments and edit them into something.

Simple notation software is better for making a nice looking copy of something you have already worked out. Music composing and music publishing are different activities.

#1703405 - 06/28/11 04:56 AM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
pist Offline

Thanks for all the wonderful replies guys! (although I have to admit I don't undestand all of them, being a complete beginner myself blush)

We don't have an apple Mac, just a normal Windows based laptop, so I think maybe Musicscore and Finale Notepad are the ones to have a look at.
Does any of you who have experience with these, have an opinion on which might be the simplest to use (my daughter is 10)
:)pist

edit: ooh and just spotted the "Aria Maestosa" reply; graphic based might just be great for a child.....

Edited by pist (06/28/11 05:00 AM)

#1703448 - 06/28/11 07:44 AM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Munich, Germany
Regardig Finale Notepad: You need at least Finale Songwriter which is I think $49.95 to also enter music by realtime (playing a piano sequence). It also includes an automatic drum grooves accompaniment with drums and auto-harmonization which is fun to use esp. for a child. But it's no problem to first buy Notepad and later Songwriter, because you can get an upgrade to Songwriter just for the price difference of the two versions.

#1703796 - 06/28/11 08:10 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: ChrisA]
Gary001 Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisA

Markup is not hard to learn. But the OP wants soething different. He wants to noodle around on the piano and record as he tries out ideas. The recording is so can go back and look at what he played.

I should't have skim read the post before replying. Still, the OP now has options for both composing and creating a final score so it wasn't a total waste smile

#1703920 - 06/28/11 11:40 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Lots of great suggestions here! I'd recommend anyone who is long-term serious about their compositions not lock into anything proprietary. The guys charging admission are the first to let you down, and the ones who are serious and really care won't charge you. As in all things in life.

#1704028 - 06/29/11 04:54 AM Re: Notation Software [Re: mucci]
Siriosys Offline

Originally Posted By: mucci
Regardig Finale Notepad: You need at least Finale Songwriter which is I think $49.95 to also enter music by realtime (playing a piano sequence). It also includes an automatic drum grooves accompaniment with drums and auto-harmonization which is fun to use esp. for a child. But it's no problem to first buy Notepad and later Songwriter, because you can get an upgrade to Songwriter just for the price difference of the two versions.

I downloaded and tried Finale Notepad trial and was impressed at its ease of use and scoring results. A bit of a shame you have to upgrade to SongWriter to get "realtime note entry", but it's somewhat cheaper than it's Sibelius alternative with the same feature and certainly is great value for money. Actually, SongWriter looks like quite a nice balance of features on reflection. Not too much of the stuff one doesn't need.

In terms of an upgrade path, Finale offers a more incremental route than Sibelius, but more flexible at the various price-points. I note that Sibelius appears to be the standard in academic institutions as a composition tool of choice.

To be able to just sit at the Piano and try out your ideas without having to muck around with markup or complex software makes the notation tasks of composition a lot less obstructive and enables one to just sit and experiment with the sound, then going along afterwards and tidying up where it's quantization has err'd etc etc.

On a side note (pun not intended) I have made use of the Sibelius support and forums and was extremely impressed at the quality of responses to my questions in terms of getting the answers I needed. It's a much bigger community than I realised. I'm guessing that Finale is probably pretty similar in that regard.

#1704243 - 06/29/11 12:20 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: Siriosys]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

To be able to just sit at the Piano and try out your ideas without having to muck around with markup or complex software makes the notation tasks of composition a lot less obstructive and enables one to just sit and experiment with the sound, then going along afterwards and tidying up where it's quantization has err'd etc etc.

That is pretty much why I tell people to just use Garage Band. It does just that and is included in the price of the computer and has a very short learning curve. I have other software (Including an older copy of Sibelius) but I still use GB some times because it is simple. If you do have to decide between Finale and Sibelius do NOT decide based on the price look at ease of use and how fast you can work. $100 more or less is not worth years of putting up with what you don't want.

I know people complain about the price of a Mac. Not everyone can afford to spend $700 on a computer, not when Walmart has them for $350. But the total cost of ownership, the computer, the software less the eventual re-sale of the used equipment years later is less. That $350 Walmart machine is headed for a dumpster in 3 to 5 years while the $700 mac will sell used for $350. Total price is the same but then the cost of software is much less. There is not magic in this. It is driven my elf-interest. The Windows PC universe with Microsoft in the center of it, is set up to practically give away hardware and then make all the money selling you software. Apple is a hardware company and make software and sell it cheap or give it away so you will buy they hardware. They make all their money on the hardware.

#1704376 - 06/29/11 03:44 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
PianosJoy Offline

Loc: VA
I use Finale Printmusic, but I only put in the notes manually (I don't connect my DP). I have heard from multiple sources that when you connect your DP and "play" the notes into the score that you usually end up editing a lot and that it's not worth it - I haven't tried it, though. I am very satisfied with this program and would recommend. If you end up with Finale and need help, feel free to contact me. I'm not a pro but have learned a lot with the help of someone who I would call a pro.

#1704478 - 06/29/11 06:20 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: ChrisA]
Siriosys Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisA

That is pretty much why I tell people to just use Garage Band. It does just that and is included in the price of the computer and has a very short learning curve. I have other software (Including an older copy of Sibelius) but I still use GB some times because it is simple. If you do have to decide between Finale and Sibelius do NOT decide based on the price look at ease of use and how fast you can work. $100 more or less is not worth years of putting up with what you don't want.

I know people complain about the price of a Mac. Not everyone can afford to spend $700 on a computer, not when Walmart has them for $350. But the total cost of ownership, the computer, the software less the eventual re-sale of the used equipment years later is less. That $350 Walmart machine is headed for a dumpster in 3 to 5 years while the $700 mac will sell used for $350. Total price is the same but then the cost of software is much less. There is not magic in this. It is driven my elf-interest. The Windows PC universe with Microsoft in the center of it, is set up to practically give away hardware and then make all the money selling you software. Apple is a hardware company and make software and sell it cheap or give it away so you will buy they hardware. They make all their money on the hardware.

You raise some good points Chris,

I've used Sibelius First - primarily because the MIDI keyboard note entry and learning curve to me, at least, was a lot less trouble than Finale and I find the screen layout a bit easier on the eyes. In so far as the notes coming out right, yeah, some editting is needed, but I've found it pretty good for my needs - actually surprisingly good!

I use GB all the time! Mainly as a 'scratchpad' for short pieces of music or to get ideas down really quickly before I commit them to 'hardcopy' with Notation software. It's a terribly underrated piece of software! I know people dis it, but I can do a heck of a lot in GB including smaller orchestrations, getting a feel for what I want it to sound like, before using any Notation tools. obviously, with multiple staffs GB can't compete with the dedicated notation tools out there, but it's still a bloody good piece of software. I laughed loudly the day I listened to a colleague berating Apple as to why there wasn't a version of GB for his Windows98 pc..........lol.

.......I'm totally with you on the 'bang for buck' of Apple gear. I'm an IT professional by day spending all my time on either Windows desktop, linux & AS/400 server environments and have had the whole "why should apple cost so much' argument with way too many people to remember. People all too easily forget that 'value' in an item we purchase also extends to the point at which we part with it - eg, 'resale' value - I'm on to my second Apple computer which is now a MBP and 3 years after buying my original iMac, I got NZ$1200 for it. A new MBP here is NZ$1999 - so in short, I got a nice upgrade in the form of a new computer for only NZ$700 and it came with free music making software.......... say no more.

#1704490 - 06/29/11 06:36 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If you already have a Mac, it sounds like Garage Band might be already on it.

Don't pay anything for any product unless you find out through experience that Musescore is no good for you, because it's really free (not just a teaser for an expensive program). Finale and Sibelius have to make money, and one of their main ways of doing that is to make their cheaper software intentionally not quite good enough for what you want to do. Musescore has no such strategic limitations; as such, it is almost sure to be good enough unless you are a demanding professional - in which case you can easily afford the full version of one of the "big" programs.

#1704493 - 06/29/11 06:46 PM Re: Notation Software [Re: david_a]
Siriosys Offline

Originally Posted By: david_a
unless you are a demanding professional - in which case you can easily afford the full version of one of the "big" programs.

LOL.....that's a bit of an over-generalization.....

Demanding and Professional are not mutually inclusive, and I'm yet to meet a Professional musician who can "easily" afford anything!

#1704803 - 06/30/11 09:07 AM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
bouleetbille Offline

I downloaded the $10 version of Finale (windows) and didn't find it great. Then I tried Muse and was agreeably surprised; it doesn't hurt that it's free. It's very easy to get started and if you want the more powerful layout options they are there after a bit of digging around. The advanced layout tools are really excellent and comprehensive and that makes a huge difference when you print the music out in terms of readability. For 1-4 pages compositions it's good, I can't comment on longer pieces.

#1706131 - 07/02/11 10:56 AM Re: Notation Software [Re: pist]
jmcintyre Offline

Loc: Wash. DC area

Edited by jmcintyre (07/03/11 03:02 AM)
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
12/20/14 09:17 PM
Guide to skills level
by Gemgem
12/20/14 08:55 PM
piano with willie
by TonyB
12/20/14 08:25 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160028 Topics
2349999 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission