Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 95 of 227 < 1 2 ... 93 94 95 96 97 ... 226 227 >
Topic Options
#1700346 - 06/23/11 06:00 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden

A:
Db lydian
Gb lydian
A lydian
G lydian
Ab major penta (add a maj7)

B:
B lydian
Bb half/whole
B lydian
D ionian (add a #5)
B lydian
Ab lydian
E lydian

Oooooooh, Lydian oh Lydian, say have you met Lydian . . .

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1700381 - 06/23/11 08:06 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Naima at home.

Recorded live at home on a H2 playing my 1928 Östlind & Almquist upright.

Note to self: oil the sustain pedal and get a new chair asap!

Edited by chrisbell (06/23/11 08:10 AM)

#1700403 - 06/23/11 08:38 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Nice playing Chris, I enjoyed that.

#1700414 - 06/23/11 08:54 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
As did I. Nice stuff Chris.

Question,
First measure, why call it Db Lydian? The scale works great, but why would Db be the tonic in this case? Why not call it Eb myxolydian ?

Is it that it allows you to think Lydian throughout?

#1700475 - 06/23/11 11:10 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Knotty and BeBoss.

Originally Posted By: Knotty
First measure, why call it Db Lydian? The scale works great, but why would Db be the tonic in this case? Why not call it Eb myxolydian ? Is it that it allows you to think Lydian throughout?

I think it's because I want to avoid thinking the tune is in Eb (or Ab). Thinking (and hearing) the chords the way that I do (triads over a pedal bass; have always loved that in Bach) frees me in my playing.
Also looking at the chords that way is a great way to get to know a tune like Naima.
A-part:
Db, Gb, A, G, Ab

B-part:
B, G, B, G, D, B, Ab, E

#1700500 - 06/23/11 11:46 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

makes sense.
For the A part, it's Gb, not G, right ?

#1700502 - 06/23/11 11:52 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Hey Chris, I'm listening to your Naima right now. Very well done. You definitely seem comfortable getting inside the sound of this tune! I haven't done much improvising on it yet, but so far it's been tough to really get the right stuff. I'm going to try to record what I'm doing with it stylistically later and post it... although it's nowhere near as cool as what you're doing. smile

#1700530 - 06/23/11 12:39 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A-part: second chord: Gb

#1700532 - 06/23/11 12:50 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

For those who might be curious, I'm playing (piano trio) the cocktail hour of a charity function this evening, and here is the likely set list. I've tried to keep it very mainstream, and no real ballads, but that might change when I get a feel for the event:

Four
Green Dolphin Street
Just Friends
Tenor Madness
Song for My Father
Peri's Scope
Morning
Bud Powell
How Insensative
St. Thomas
Take the A Train.

#1700544 - 06/23/11 01:09 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

So here's my work in progress on Naima.

I'm wanting to try to incorporate some fills during the last A section (which I tried here, unsuccessfully), but it requires sostenuto to pull it off. I just got my piano tuned Monday after moving it so I've only had a chance to work on this a couple of times since then. No sostenuto on the keyboard.

Overall I still need to work on the timing, and I got lost during the improv, last 2 measures of the B section... oh well.

I think I like the idea of keeping the Eb and Bb pedals consistent throughout... kind of like a drone effect. But I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

http://www.box.net/shared/jnvvr3x11m9r7lqms6nd

#1700589 - 06/23/11 02:10 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: chrisbell
Naima at home.

Very Nice Chris! I like the medley of approaches here. 3 styles to choose from and get inspiration. smile Thanks!

#1700598 - 06/23/11 02:19 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jjo
For those who might be curious, I'm playing (piano trio) the cocktail hour of a charity function this evening, and here is the likely set list. I've tried to keep it very mainstream, and no real ballads, but that might change when I get a feel for the event:

Four
Green Dolphin Street
Just Friends
Tenor Madness
Song for My Father
Peri's Scope
Morning
Bud Powell
How Insensative
St. Thomas
Take the A Train.

Nice List! I like the variety.

Here's my set list. Some are vocals though

Love Nest (V) (Bossa)
On a Clear Day (V) Uptempo Swing
I Don't know Enough about You (V)
All Blues
Naima
Mr PC
Look of Love (V) Bossa
At Last (V)
Fine and Mellow (V) Blues feel
You've Changed (V)
Canteloupe Island
Footprints
Recordame - Latin
Whisper Not
Invitation

#1700602 - 06/23/11 02:21 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Coletta
So here's my work in progress on Naima.

I'm wanting to try to incorporate some fills during the last A section (which I tried here, unsuccessfully), but it requires sostenuto to pull it off. I just got my piano tuned Monday after moving it so I've only had a chance to work on this a couple of times since then. No sostenuto on the keyboard.

Overall I still need to work on the timing, and I got lost during the improv, last 2 measures of the B section... oh well.

I think I like the idea of keeping the Eb and Bb pedals consistent throughout... kind of like a drone effect. But I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

http://www.box.net/shared/jnvvr3x11m9r7lqms6nd

Scott, that was great setting a groove on solo piano. Tough to maintain that. Really good ideas there. I really liked the effect of E7#11 and you went outside. It was tastefully done. What did you play there?

I don't have much piano time in today so I'll have to discuss things in theory here.

#1700620 - 06/23/11 02:54 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nice one Scott, I like the rhythmic feel you get. You are definitely right that sostenuto would be good for this tune.

#1700656 - 06/23/11 04:03 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jazzwee: You've got several tunes I'm not familiar with:

Love Nest (V) (Bossa)
Fine and Mellow (V) Blues feel
You've Changed (V)
Recordame - Latin

I'll have to check these out.

#1700657 - 06/23/11 04:04 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So I had a go at it as well. I don't really know the tune well so there are some errors in the tune. I did more of a kind of theme and variations approach just exploring some different ideas. Some work better than others I think. Its easy to tell when I listen back.

http://www.divshare.com/download/15162500-152

#1700680 - 06/23/11 04:31 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Amazing! Yeah, that's how it's done!

#1700683 - 06/23/11 04:36 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
KlinkKlonk Offline

Beeboss that was fantastic. Your touch is great. Concentrated tone. Balanced timbre beetwen notes in chords.

Beginning sounds inspired by that Taylor disc with Haden on bass.
http://www.amazon.com/Nightfall-Charlie-...1613&sr=8-1

Edited by KlinkKlonk (06/23/11 04:40 PM)

#1700706 - 06/23/11 05:13 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Beeboss... very nice playing on Naima! I hope someday I can play a tune this difficult as well as you do without knowing it all that well. It sounds to me like you've been playing it for years. It's really cool how you're able to be so free with it and explore so many possibilities. cool

#1700709 - 06/23/11 05:16 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
Scott, that was great setting a groove on solo piano. Tough to maintain that. Really good ideas there. I really liked the effect of E7#11 and you went outside. It was tastefully done. What did you play there?

I don't have much piano time in today so I'll have to discuss things in theory here.

Thanks for the comments jazzwee. I'm going to keep working on it. Are you referring to my voicing for the E7#11 during the head or what I played during the improv?

#1700714 - 06/23/11 05:26 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks guys
Yes Klink, JT is a big influence although I don't know that particular disc. I used to have lessons with JT many years ago.

#1700726 - 06/23/11 05:42 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
KlinkKlonk Offline

The first track starts off in the same manner as your impro. Plucked strings, and octave pentatonics. It's a great disc.

#1700743 - 06/23/11 06:08 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC

The above is of course all over the Eb pedal so it's just modal I guess. No harmonic functions that I'm aware of.

Wha....? The functions of the chords in bar three to four are cadencial. The Ab has to be a resting point.

As for bar the B section, one and two it really goes from stable to unstable, acting like I to V variants.

I guess I should work up a recording sometime soon too...

#1700784 - 06/23/11 07:45 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: scepticalforumguy]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: scepticalforumguy

The above is of course all over the Eb pedal so it's just modal I guess. No harmonic functions that I'm aware of.

Wha....? The functions of the chords in bar three to four are cadencial. The Ab has to be a resting point.

As for bar the B section, one and two it really goes from stable to unstable, acting like I to V variants.

Yea, I see what you mean. I should've thought about it more smile. In particular if the Ab is the goal in the first section, the A7 is certainly moving towards that and even the first chord seen as Ebsus sets up the Ab as the resting point. There's no doubt that there is a constant shifting between stable and unstable. I just don't really see it as being conventional, but rather more obscured by the unusual harmonic structures. It seems that the underlying modes can be more easily traced back to conventional tonic-dominant relationships.

#1700848 - 06/23/11 09:50 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

jjo,

On yours, I would like to learn Peri's Scope and Four. I know them but never learned.

The ones on my list were provided by the vocalist. I couldn't play the head on these (just sight reading the changes). Fine and Mellow is just Billy Holiday Blues. No big deal.

Recordame (Joe Henderson) is a great tune. It's usually a favorite of horn players and I hear it often around town. Typically among the popular modern sounding tunes.

#1700851 - 06/23/11 09:53 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: scepticalforumguy

Yea, I see what you mean. I should've thought about it more smile. In particular if the Ab is the goal in the first section, the A7 is certainly moving towards that and even the first chord seen as Ebsus sets up the Ab as the resting point. There's no doubt that there is a constant shifting between stable and unstable. I just don't really see it as being conventional, but rather more obscured by the unusual harmonic structures. It seems that the underlying modes can be more easily traced back to conventional tonic-dominant relationships.

IMHO - My analsis earlier breaks it up into various V chords (functionally or tritone subs). So if I look at it as Eb Pedal, they really are functional. Taken with the bass pedal, the logic is pretty hard to grasp.

#1700855 - 06/23/11 09:55 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

BTW - I did get a chance to show what I intended with Naima to my teacher and for the most part he thinks I did the right thing (voicings and scales). So hopefully I won't mess up the gig tomorrow.

#1700947 - 06/24/11 01:27 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Beeboss, that sounded great with the variations. thumb I think I liked the last variation the best. Just sounded really fitting. I enjoyed the experimentation on the rhythmic side. Really fresh sounding.

I was doing my last practice of Naima before playing it on the gig tomorrow. This is making me nervous because I'm still getting lost with the last A in AABA. This is going to mess me up if I don't get this right. The changes go so slowly that I forget If I've done 2 or 3 A's.

#1700949 - 06/24/11 01:34 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzwee

Thanks for the comments jazzwee. I'm going to keep working on it. Are you referring to my voicing for the E7#11 during the head or what I played during the improv?

I meant the improv. I was just curious what you played there.

#1700964 - 06/24/11 02:18 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Intermediate/Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
Originally Posted By: chrisbell
Naima at home.

Very nice, Chris. The further you get into the improv the more I like it, especially around the 5min mark.

However, I don't find the rhythymic accompaniment of the chair to be as polished as the rest of the performance. Perhaps you need to focus on using less polyrhythms in your lower body and set a more stable feel with those squeaks.

Page 95 of 227 < 1 2 ... 93 94 95 96 97 ... 226 227 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Typical % markup on price dealer pays for a piano
by pianoloverus
10 minutes 46 seconds ago
calling all users of Ivory II American D
by dire tonic
Today at 08:29 AM
Staying in one position for too long - tension
by DeadPoets
Today at 06:07 AM
Cleaning strings
by PhilipInChina
Today at 05:10 AM
recording digital piano
by johan d
Today at 03:38 AM
Who's Online
133 registered (anotherscott, ando, anamnesis, ajames, A Guy, accordeur, 26 invisible), 1517 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158411 Topics
2326330 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission