Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1443863 - 05/26/10 07:46 AM Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread.
Alkisztian Offline

Loc: Europe
Amédée Méreaux.
You probably haven't heard of his name, and if you have it's probably something that popped up when you searched for "difficult music".

Not much is known about him, this is all the info I can find on the internet and might not be 100% correct.

"(b Paris, 17 Sept 1802; d Rouen, 25 April 1874). French musicologist,pianist and composer. His main achievement is Les clavecinistes de 1637 à 1790 (1864-7), an edition with essays on the composers represented. His grandfather Nicolas-Jean Le Froid de Méreaux (1745-97) was an organist and composer of operas and oratorios."

From personal experience, a lot of people on the internet claims his music to be
unmusical
too difficult (it makes alkan and liszt look like nothing)

and even MAH (Marc Andre Hamelin) said that Mereaux was unmusical, and therefor not interested for him to play (Or he just said so because he is too frightened to play Mereaux) he also said one of Mereaux's pieces (the 24th etude of his 60 etude set. That's right 60.) is the only piece he knew of that makes you catch vertigo.

Not much of Mereaux music exist on the net, there are a few midi uploads of his etudes. My personal favorite so far is no.15 and no.4. Please have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vN9ilM2zCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErgwPpUcsEE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-dV471Avqc&feature=related

Personally I like his music A LOT and he's currently among my top 5. But I have this thing for difficult works for piano.

Hope you enjoyed him as much as I did, I attempted some of his works just to fail. I play Liszt and Alkan btw.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1443866 - 05/26/10 07:53 AM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: Alkisztian]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
I don t think Hamelin is afraid of anything piano ... if he can´t play it, chances are it cannot be played.

#1444071 - 05/26/10 02:24 PM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: izaldu]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
These are nice etudes. These are my thoughts:

-If No. 15 were arranged for 4 hands, it would make a good concert piece.

-No. 56 doesn't sound impossible. It's basically the Chopin Ballade 2 final arpeggios over and over again (but not quite as fast, thankfully).

-No. 4 would also be okay for 4 hands, but not as good as No. 15.

Eh, I really don't go deep into the nonstandard repertoire (deeper than knowing of the people and some of their works). Alkan is an exception for me.

Edited by Orange Soda King (05/26/10 02:24 PM)

#1444081 - 05/26/10 02:46 PM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: Orange Soda King]
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Thanks for telling us about Mereaux and sharing a few youtube videos. Very interesting! How did you first learn about him? Was it his music that initially drew you in, or something else?

#1444210 - 05/26/10 05:53 PM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: pianojerome]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
know him, alas, Alkan et al.beat him, more like chaps like Dussek FGS

Mussorgski tableaux d'une exposition/Ravel miroirs

#1444213 - 05/26/10 05:56 PM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: dolce sfogato]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Dussek's "L'invocation" Sonata is quite the neglected masterwork.. Firkusny made a fantastic recording.

#1444220 - 05/26/10 06:00 PM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: jeffreyjones]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I found all three etudes quite boring. If the music wasn't there to show how difficult the composition was, I would have been even more bored. I think I listened to about 1/3 of each piece.

Edited by pianoloverus (05/26/10 06:03 PM)

#1444226 - 05/26/10 06:09 PM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: jeffreyjones]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

what about his op. 61, f-sharp minor, Elégie, TEARS!

#1444241 - 05/26/10 06:33 PM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: Alkisztian]
MikeN Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
I remember coming across the name in Hamelin's interview but on hearing it I can see why he finds them of no musical value. There are just too many other things in the repertory that are more worth the time.

#1444512 - 05/27/10 04:18 AM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: MikeN]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I'm with pianoloverus on this one: I found them quite boring and tiring. I couldn't find a reason (especially to have 56 etudes?!?!?!? At least). I mean there was little to no innovation, at least to my ears and I am judging based on when he was alive, not in todays standards!

#1444558 - 05/27/10 07:13 AM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: pianoloverus]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I found all three etudes quite boring. If the music wasn't there to show how difficult the composition was, I would have been even more bored. I think I listened to about 1/3 of each piece.

Compared to actual substantial pieces, I find that technical etudes in GENERAL are boring, including Chopin's. But when I think of them as just etudes, that puts a different light on them for me.

#1444570 - 05/27/10 07:51 AM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: Orange Soda King]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

Compared to actual substantial pieces, I find that technical etudes in GENERAL are boring, including Chopin's. But when I think of them as just etudes, that puts a different light on them for me.
Yes, but the greatest sets of etudes(Chopin, Liszt, Debussy, Rachmaninov, Scriabin)have a lot to offer musically IMO. I think even Alkan's Etudes, which I'm only a minor fan of, are far more interesting musically than the ones by Mereaux.

#1444655 - 05/27/10 09:54 AM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: Nikolas]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
I'm with pianoloverus on this one: I found them quite boring and tiring. I couldn't find a reason (especially to have 56 etudes?!?!?!? At least). I mean there was little to no innovation, at least to my ears and I am judging based on when he was alive, not in todays standards!

I could see the interest to a composer, who could play through these pieces and have it demonstrated to him what was or was not playable. Some of the figurations are novel, even if the musical content is zero.

#1444702 - 05/27/10 11:12 AM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: pianojerome]
Alkisztian Offline

Originally Posted By: pianojerome
Thanks for telling us about Mereaux and sharing a few youtube videos. Very interesting! How did you first learn about him? Was it his music that initially drew you in, or something else?

I read about him somewhere, I searched for his name (Just Mereaux) on youtube and found something completely different. A few years later he was shown in my recommended videos (again, on youtube) so I listened to one or two of his etudes, and started to like him. Because frankly, I do like him musically. He appeals to me.

#1444706 - 05/27/10 11:15 AM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: pianoloverus]
Alkisztian Offline

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

Yes, but the greatest sets of etudes(Chopin, Liszt, Debussy, Rachmaninov, Scriabin)have a lot to offer musically IMO. I think even Alkan's Etudes, which I'm only a minor fan of, are far more interesting musically than the ones by Mereaux.

I think no.15 and no.4 are very musical, of course it's subjective. And these are his etudes, keep in mind. The etudes are op.63 so he composed a lot, apparently. But there are no other pieces but a few etudes which you can hear on youtube. Which is sad, because I am sure if we could hear his other works (non-etudes) more people would be interested in hearing him. Too bad I can only find a few opuses by him on the internet...

#1444712 - 05/27/10 11:20 AM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: MikeN]
Alkisztian Offline

Originally Posted By: MikeN
I remember coming across the name in Hamelin's interview but on hearing it I can see why he finds them of no musical value. There are just too many other things in the repertory that are more worth the time.

I am still interested in hearing his 60 etudes, I'd pay someone to digitally convert them.

#1444740 - 05/27/10 12:18 PM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: Alkisztian]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Alkisztian
I think no.15 and no.4 are very musical, of course it's subjective. And these are his etudes, keep in mind. The etudes are op.63 so he composed a lot, apparently. But there are no other pieces but a few etudes which you can hear on youtube. Which is sad, because I am sure if we could hear his other works (non-etudes) more people would be interested in hearing him. Too bad I can only find a few opuses by him on the internet...

There are a few pieces on IMSLP, but I don't see anything that rises above the level of overgrown potboilers - and potboilers that show exceptional lack of talent, at that. I'd sooner like to see a Kalkbrenner or Herz revival. Their music can be nearly as difficult, and they had competence. By which I mean they could come up with more than one tune per piece.

#1444748 - 05/27/10 12:39 PM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: Alkisztian]
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
Just out of curiosity, since it was piqued by this topic and Hamelin's mention of Mereaux during the recent interview, I read through part of Mereaux's Ballade Op. 60 on IMSLP. It wasn't hugely innovative - based on the sections I read it appeared to be variations on a simple theme, but it did have a nice sense of wistfulness, and was relatively idiomatic besides what appears to be a penchant for unreachable chords in some sections. It struck me as emotionally similar to Schumann in one his more naive and simpletonian moods, but with a lower compositional quality similar to Sauer in some of his sonatas. Not an earth-shattering discovery, but much more consequential than the previously posted etude MIDIs.

Regardless of whether or not Mereaux is a long-lost genius, thanks Alkistian for starting this topic, and if you are one of the people involved in the Mereaux project on youtube, thank you for putting so much effort into preparing MIDIs of his works. We can all benefit from learning more about people like him, even if we don't decide to work up one of his compositions ourselves.

#1445019 - 05/27/10 07:29 PM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: MarkH]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Just downloaded his 'Grande Fantaisie sur une Mazourka (sic) de Chopin', will try it tomorrow and let you all know about the experience, looks quite fun!

#1701649 - 06/25/11 04:53 AM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: pianojerome]
Kemeny Gabor Offline

Loc: Budapest, HUNGARY, EUROPE
The thing is Amadée Méreaux is almost unknown in fact, I've never heard of him before as well I dare to say a few of those works I've heard with scores on You Tube are masterpieces.
He must have been a fantastic pianist too.
There are no need making 4 hands version from any of these pieces in question, they all are playable but need a lot of practising naturally.
I'm a composer on more fields of music and a pianist as an artist too, for 33 years now, that means I realize what i put down here.
Although Mr Hamelin who's one of the greatest conterporary pianists doesn't like these pieces,we all can be sure he'd play each of them fantastically.

#1701655 - 06/25/11 05:13 AM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: Alkisztian]
Batuhan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Istanbul
Where is music ?

Published:
Waltz Op. 36 No. 1 in G-flat major,
2 Preludes, Op. 12 in D-flat major.

#1701703 - 06/25/11 08:52 AM Re: Amédée Méreaux - Unknown French composer reviving thread. [Re: Batuhan]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Batuhan
Where is music ?

Chopin must have taken it all. smile

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Who's Online
129 registered (alfredo capurso, ando, anotherscott, anamnesis, 36251, 33 invisible), 1556 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158401 Topics
2326135 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission