2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Originally Posted by TX-Dennis
They seem to sell stretching devices all over the internet for a certian body part. I haven't seen any adverts for hand stretchers, though. You might make a fortune off gullible pianists. grin

We could get Schumann to endorse it.

Ouch!

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wayne32yrs

They seem to sell stretching devices all over the internet for a certian body part. I haven't seen any adverts for hand stretchers, though. You might make a fortune off gullible pianists. grin

Just when you thought TV could not get any dumber..... [Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CMohr
Just because I was curious, I measured my hand span. My left hand from tip of thumb to tip of little finger is 9 1/4 " (close to Jazzwee, it almost goes to a straight line). My right hand span is 8 3/4" due to a dislocated thumb in college, it's just not going any further. I do do finger stretches - I think it helps. That and practicing playing 10ths with both hands. I have long fingers though.

Those are long fingers, CMohr.

Heh, I too pulled out a ruler out of curiosity. 8.5" seems fairly common. I can pull off a 10th as long as it's on a slow song. smile

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I can play a tenth on white keys with my left hand
but not my right..I believe my playing jazz guitar
45+ yrs caused the left hand to stretch more than the right..

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I have no ruler here but I can play 11ths... If I stretch really really far with right hand a 12th... you do the math?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Sparkey, yes that's normal I guess. I can also stretch my ring finger in that same line and that makes even a longer stretch than with the pinky smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
Sparkey, yes that's normal I guess. I can also stretch my ring finger in that same line and that makes even a longer stretch than with the pinky smile

Holy carp, I just looked and you're correct, my fourth finger can reach farther than my pinky of course.
Why haven't I even noticed that before? crazy
I can reach an 11th with that without much of a problem but with my pinky an 11th is harder to make.
Thanks for clueing me in.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Wayne, very very funny. But would nan approve?

Probabily not, and playing a chord may prove difficult!

Originally Posted by wayne32yrs

That is as funny as anything I've seen . . . and more than slightly disturbing. grin

Did you try it though? lol

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I always thought my hands were so large because I can barely fit into size XL work gloves. Even those are tight some times.

My thumb muscle area is very large however. Like a chicken leg/ drumstick. Maybe beefy hands and fingers take up more volume somehow. Probably. Obviously actually!

Anyway, my hands are 8 1/2 across at the widest point. I can play a tenth but only at the edge of the keys. In most cases I would probably convert the 10th or higher into a fast skip between the two keys. It can sound very nice that way, especially if played with a lot of feeling. It's a nice way to end a piece too.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sparky McBiff

Holy carp, I just looked and you're correct, my fourth finger can reach farther than my pinky of course.
I can reach an 11th with that without much of a problem but with my pinky an 11th is harder to make.

One technique for playing octave runs is to alternate between 1-4 and 1-5, so you use thumb and ring finger for the first octave, then thumb and pinky finger for the next and so on. My teacher just showed me how to do that on the first Gershwin prelude.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sparky McBiff

OMG I didn't even think of this. My thumb and fourth finger (which is used a lot for stretches in Chopin 10/1 stretches to like 9 3/4" vs. my pinky which is only like 9 1/8".

I can do a straight line also with thumb and 4th. That took a lot of work to accomplish smile

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Right around 8". I can do an ocatave pretty easily but not much more.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Why have I never wondered about this before. On my (free) hardware store yardstick, I measure 8 7/8", but that is with a very flat hand. More meaningfully, with some arch, it comes out to playing a tenth comfortably on the naturals, and closer to 8-and-a-quarter inches.

Clef

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W

One technique for playing octave runs is to alternate between 1-4 and 1-5, so you use thumb and ring finger for the first octave, then thumb and pinky finger for the next and so on. My teacher just showed me how to do that on the first Gershwin prelude.

I'm using that to play "legato" bass lines. The thumb (higher octave) jumps while the lower octave is played legato using 4/5.

Also I had the habit of using both 4 and 5 to press the lower octave note... but that gave some unwanted accents smile I'm playing the bass notes too loud anyway so more work to be done in that region grin

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission