2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
LAX Offline
L
James,

The AP-620 is $1,399 and the YDP-181 is $1,599 and their price are fixed in couple of the local stores but these stores don't have the Clavinova line.

The only company has 3 locations in my area that carrries the Clavinova line only list the MSRP. I easily feel intimated by salespersons. Just wonder if you happen to know what is the price point of the CLP-330. It will help me a lot before walking in the store.

Thank you for your help.

-LAX

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
LAX, sorry, I'm afraid I don't know the prices of Clavinova models in the US.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
L
LAX Offline
L
James,

No problem. Thank you again.

-LAX

LAX: The prices on the high-end Yamahas (and other brands) are set by negotiation.
Whatever the retail price is ... don't pay that.
Whatever the "reduced" price or "sale" price is tagged on the piano ... don't pay that.

Instead, check the prices paid thread on this forum.

Or look at pianobuyer.com, with prices in the appendix section. Expect to reduce the "MSRP" price by 40% or so, and make an offer.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by LAX
I have been searching for an EP for a month now. My neighbor suggested me to look into the Casio AP 620. I was at a local store the other day, the salesperson recommeneded the Yamaha YDP181 to me. I believe the Casio is $200 cheaper than the Yamaha.

Based on the specification, Casio has more features than Yamaha and it even comes with an adjustable bench. Actually, I don't care much for most of the features as I am just a beginner and it will take me years before I will know and learn all the features anyway.

What I care most is the key action and response that will give me a close to acoustic piano experience. Also, I would like to know which one will give me lesser maintenace/ repair headache.

Thanks for your suggestions/comments in advance.

LAX,
I believe there is a Yahama Arius 161 priced around the Casio AP-620. The 181 is priced higher. I would go with the Yahama over the Casio as the actions seem much more reliable and less problematic. The current lineup from Casio seems to exhibit keys that become loose and wobbly. There is a lot more side to side play in the Casios. This seems to plague their entire line of current models. There have been quite a few complaints about the Casio keybeds. Casio has been replacing defective keybeds for customers but it is an obvious area of concern. The AP-620 is a very nice piano and is loaded with features. It is pretty much a PX-330 in a nicer cabinet with a higher wattage amp and more speakers. If you're thinking about the Clavinova line, be prepared to open up your wallet. If you're just starting out, the Arius line is more than adequate. Just my 2 cents.

L
LAX Offline
L
MacMacMac,

Thanks for the tip. smile

-LAX

L
LAX Offline
L
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
Originally Posted by LAX
I have been searching for an EP for a month now. My neighbor suggested me to look into the Casio AP 620. I was at a local store the other day, the salesperson recommeneded the Yamaha YDP181 to me. I believe the Casio is $200 cheaper than the Yamaha.

Based on the specification, Casio has more features than Yamaha and it even comes with an adjustable bench. Actually, I don't care much for most of the features as I am just a beginner and it will take me years before I will know and learn all the features anyway.

What I care most is the key action and response that will give me a close to acoustic piano experience. Also, I would like to know which one will give me lesser maintenace/ repair headache.

Thanks for your suggestions/comments in advance.

LAX,
I believe there is a Yahama Arius 161 priced around the Casio AP-620. The 181 is priced higher. I would go with the Yahama over the Casio as the actions seem much more reliable and less problematic. The current lineup from Casio seems to exhibit keys that become loose and wobbly. There is a lot more side to side play in the Casios. This seems to plague their entire line of current models. There have been quite a few complaints about the Casio keybeds. Casio has been replacing defective keybeds for customers but it is an obvious area of concern. The AP-620 is a very nice piano and is loaded with features. It is pretty much a PX-330 in a nicer cabinet with a higher wattage amp and more speakers. If you're thinking about the Clavinova line, be prepared to open up your wallet. If you're just starting out, the Arius line is more than adequate. Just my 2 cents.

Galaxy4t,

I read from another forum someone managed to get a CLP-330 for $1,800. If I can get the same deal, should I get the CLP-330 or just stick with the YDP-181 for $1,599?

-LAX

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
LAX,
There are always deals to be had, and if you have the budget, and can afford it, go for it. If you could get a Clavinova for $300 over an Arias, it's a no brainer, just be sure it is the one for you. Keep in mind that all digitals have flaws, even the more expensive ones. The most important thing is key action which you have to decide for yourself what feels good to you. This is often difficult for a beginner to judge.

L
LAX Offline
L
Galazy4t,

Thanks for the advice.

-LAX

S
S
I just bought an AP620 at Sweetwater Sound's annual Gear Fest. They had a great price, but they only had one of them. (I guess they're still in short supply.)

I posted a detailed review on Amazon.com. Here's the link.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R30FVV...p;nodeID=11091801&tag=&linkCode=

If you are within a day's drive of Fort Wayne, Indiana, you should go to Gear Fest next June. There are plenty of interesting demos, and great deals as well.

Steve Conslaw
Indianapolis

Step Back! he's got a synthesizer, and he isn't afraid to use it.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Hi Steve,

Let me know if you should encounter a sustain pedal resonance issue with your new AP-620. Please post it here, if you do.

One new member [souwestriver] has had the issue in this thread, below:

Casio AP-620 / Resonance issue remains / Question

S
S
I have not encountered any issues at all, but to be fair, with less than a month with the piano, "the night is still young".

If there is one thing I could change on the AP 620, I would make the captions on the buttons more legible and make the backlit display bigger. I know that might make the piano less "acoustic looking" but it would be worth it.

I played a few general midi sequences off of an SD card the other day, including Rebecca Black's "Friday". They sound pretty good with the built-in instruments. The drums could use more presence.

S
S
I have encountered no sustain pedal resonance issues.

To change the topic, I just wanted to post that I bought a piano lamp that works well with the AP620. [url=http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Desk-Lamp-Satin-Nickel/dp/B002SDR7OO/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1318124827&sr=1-1-catcorr]Boston Harbor Satin Nickel Piano Desk Lamp[/url, usually about $25 from Amazon has a finish that comes pretty close to the metal trim on the AP620. If any piano needed a piano lamp, it is the AP620. Those buttons just cannot be read without direct light.

S
S
I just ordered the Casio Celviano AP620 and Im very concerned now after reading this forum. Does anyone know if the wobbly keys really become a big problem or is there just some play that doesnt necessarily have to be fixed. Thanks!

S
S
Thanks

S
S
Ok well I received my AP620 on Thursday and it is beautiful. It plays very well. I have noticed that the black keys do make a clicking sound when i play them sometimes because I hit them on an angle. It doesnt bother me though, nothing is perfect. My only worry is that it is going to get worse. I dont know who to believe on this website. Some people seem to be just stuck on Yamaha and bash Casio for no good reason. This piano is much nicer than any of the Yamahas I played in the store. Im am so happy with it but I cannot get the keybed issue out of my head, its as though im just waiting for it to get worse and its ruining my experience. Does anyone have this piano for a long period of time and can confirm it still plays good? Thank you. I dont want to return this one! This is the 3rd DP I had and I cant stand that there is a problem with each and every one! If somebody can offer me some good advice id really appreciate it. Thanks again.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Casio is offering 2 additional years warranty if you register your piano on their site(USA). This matches the standard Yahama warranty so if the keybed becomes defective, you can have it replaced.

S
S
Thanks

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by steamboatman
Ok well I received my AP620 on Thursday and it is beautiful. It plays very well. I have noticed that the black keys do make a clicking sound when i play them sometimes because I hit them on an angle. It doesnt bother me though, nothing is perfect. My only worry is that it is going to get worse. I dont know who to believe on this website. Some people seem to be just stuck on Yamaha and bash Casio for no good reason. This piano is much nicer than any of the Yamahas I played in the store. Im am so happy with it but I cannot get the keybed issue out of my head, its as though im just waiting for it to get worse and its ruining my experience. Does anyone have this piano for a long period of time and can confirm it still plays good? Thank you. I dont want to return this one! This is the 3rd DP I had and I cant stand that there is a problem with each and every one! If somebody can offer me some good advice id really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Please note:

However, watch for (or, beware) of the potential for a resonance issue with the sustain pedal which seems to happen when you pedal a lot, plus use the "Piano / Strings" combined layer. This can also happen on the PX-130 (which I previously owned, then sold), and, does happen on the AP-620.

Perhaps you won't play as I do, with heavy pedaling and a high volume level set, with playing in the "ff" range. Have had exactly three Casio's that have had this same issue, although I have kept the AP-620 since it doesn't happen all of the time.

I did give up on trying to record and capture the resonance issue, since it requires knowing how transfer a recording (with the issue captured on it) from the Casio's built-in recorder to an SD memory card.

Can't figure out how to get that done, as I messed up some SD memory cards in the process, or, didn't format them in the right way, etc... and, memory cards aren't cheap, either.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I've had a px330 for 2 years now and have had no issues with anything at all. In spite of the Casio bashing I've heard, I think they have a lot to offer for low prices. They do have good warranties, and I've heard that their customer support is very good as well —I've never had to use it.

I picked a Casio because it offered lots of bells and whistles for a lower cost than Yamaha, Roland or Kawai and I've not regretted my decision.

Best of luck with your new piano. Just enjoy it and don't worry about what MIGHT happen.

Sandy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission