Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1419030 - 04/17/10 04:08 PM Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy
PlasticGlass Offline

Loc: Slovak republic
Hello,
I'm going to buy a new piano. I have made a lot of search and finally I decided for Casio Celviano AP-620. I appreciate its look, sound, accompaniments, and other gadgets but sorry to say I have not seen it live - only on the internet.
In the local music store I was told to buy something else such as Yamaha, Roland mainly due to reliability. It does not sell Casio at all.
I will buy it online.
Do you have any experience with this DP?
Do you think it is a good choice for an adult? I will use it only for home performances, daily excercises, not for studying classical music.
It will be placed in a quite large living room so 2 x 30 Watts speakers are good.
Do you think that this instrument will last 5 years at least? I mean keyboard especially.
Do you think that keyboard issues are matter of the past as far as Casio is concerned?

Thanks all

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1419064 - 04/17/10 05:34 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: PlasticGlass]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
of the pianos you could try, which of then had key actions you like and not liked. Then you might ask if the ap-620 is like any of those.

#1419117 - 04/17/10 07:28 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: ChrisA]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Regarding reliability, here in Australia Casio provide a 5 year warranty. (I have not read the conditions of the warranty yet, but assuming there's nothing adverse, this seems like a very good warranty)

Greg.

#1419516 - 04/18/10 03:40 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: sullivang]
10_lame_fingers Offline

Loc: Düsseldorf / Germany
Hi there,

I am in the middle of a similar decision. My focus is around Roland HP 305, Kawai CA 63 or Casio AP 620. And as you, I will be able to test play the Roland and Kawai, but not the Casio. From the specs and also from the price, I might prefer the Casio too, also, there are fairly good reviews in two German magazines.
In seveal online shops, you can order with a 30-days-money-back garantuee, I still hesitate, in a couple of weeks I will test play again and then decide, what I do.

There are two links, that might help you:

A brief review including sound demos ( the complete review you can only find in the paper issue ), translated from German by google:

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tastenwelt.de%2Ftest_casio_ap-620.0.html

The second is a fairly good supplier video on youtube. For this, it might be helpful to understand German ;-), but still you would get the essence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYW3uolHrVk

#1419541 - 04/18/10 04:28 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: 10_lame_fingers]
PlasticGlass Offline

Loc: Slovak republic
Thanks for the links. They are very useful and I have already decided to buy AP-620. I will order it tomorrow. There is a shop nearby - but only online- offering good price, 30 days money back and 3 years warranty.

The link on youtube you sent is well known. The guy says something like "that is phenomenal at this price range". It was in connection with dynamic range of the instrument as a result of the four level sampling.

Here is another impressive video on latest Privia and Celviano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmxKktvMQFU&feature=related

I personally think that new Privias and Celvianos are bound to be success for the company.

#1435084 - 05/12/10 11:24 AM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: PlasticGlass]
partitionflorent Offline

Nobody buy this DP ?

The AP-620 is very cheap compared to the kawai ca63.

#1435088 - 05/12/10 11:26 AM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: partitionflorent]
partitionflorent Offline

#1436707 - 05/14/10 07:24 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: partitionflorent]
NoFingers Offline

Loc: USA
I keep seeing these Casio special editions, but never see a place to actually purchase them.

#1483064 - 07/28/10 09:31 AM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: NoFingers]
Sniffy Offline

Loc: Austin, TX - USA
I recently embarked on the journey of finding a digital piano for my wife for her birthday. She plays by ear and learned to play on a traditional upright piano; so it was important for me to find something with a realistic key/hammer feel. She also likes to utilize many of the features that a digital piano offers (tones).. so I wanted to make sure there were plenty of options that she can grow with. She also likes to play loud and sing, so I needed to be sure it had enough volume while maintaining a clean sound. And last but not least, a sharp cabinet that will enhance our home was also an important consideration.

I had a preconceived notion that Yamaha and Roland pianos were the two best and that only those brands would do. After looking for a few weeks, I was "set" on buying the Yamaha YDPV240... even though the cabinet was just "OK" (it looked kinda cheap). I went to a local store and tried it out and loved it, but still had that hesitation because it just didn’t seem to be worth $1,800 when I could pay a little more for a better quality piano.

A "little more $" kept adding up though and I really wanted to stay down around $1,500. During my reading, I ran across this discussion thread and several more that covered the Casio AP620. I watched a few YouTube video demos on it, read the specs and long story short, I went out on a limb and ordered the Casio AP620 for my wife.

I made the right decision by a mile! My wife absolutely loves everything about the new AP620. And the black cabinet looks fabulous in our home (the case is one of the best I have seen on the pianos I looked at under $5k).

The feel is impressive and slightly heavier than the V240 and is very realistic when compared to a traditional piano. The sound is amazing with the 4 speaker system (2 underneath and 2 on top facing the player). The highs are crisp while the lows will vibrate the room like a true bass string. The sound fills our 3,500 sq. ft. home with a beautiful tone… the sound has impressed me the most. The interface was very easy to figure out and in a couple hours she was combining tones, and doing other things that I don’t even understand.

Anyway, I just wanted to come back here and share my journey in case you are considering these two pianos. Best of luck in your search!

#1483085 - 07/28/10 10:16 AM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: Sniffy]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Just bought the Celviano AP-220 and it is amazing! Got mine off of Amazon.

#1483091 - 07/28/10 10:21 AM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: 10_lame_fingers]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Maybe the brand new CN33 is also an option:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1483089

#1483116 - 07/28/10 10:59 AM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: TADutchman]
Sniffy Offline

Loc: Austin, TX - USA
I ordered my Casio Celviano AP-620 from an online retailer, Gigasonic. Shipping was free and extremely fast. http://www.gigasonic.com/

I hope that helps.

#1578210 - 12/16/10 06:56 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: Sniffy]
mitchb2 Offline

I think I'm going to pull the trigger and buy one.

#1644758 - 03/20/11 03:59 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: PlasticGlass]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: PlasticGlass
Thanks for the links. They are very useful and I have already decided to buy AP-620. I will order it tomorrow.

I am strongly considering purchasing the AP-620 and I would like to find out how things worked out for those of you who did buy one. Are you still happy with it ?

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#1644803 - 03/20/11 05:45 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: PlasticGlass]
leemax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: pacific nw, usa
I've had one since mid-December and I'm very pleased with it. I did get some external monitors but I think that most DPs need them. There are a couple of threads talking about that now that you have probably seen.

#1644834 - 03/20/11 06:52 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: leemax]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: leemax
I've had one since mid-December and I'm very pleased with it. I did get some external monitors but I think that most DPs need them. There are a couple of threads talking about that now that you have probably seen.

Glad to hear it.

I would probably consider purchasing the M-Audio BX5a speakers if needed. It is my understanding that I could just plug them into my DP and go. Pretty good reviews.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#1701959 - 06/25/11 06:08 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: PlasticGlass]
LAX Offline

I have been searching for an EP for a month now. My neighbor suggested me to look into the Casio AP 620. I was at a local store the other day, the salesperson recommeneded the Yamaha YDP181 to me. I believe the Casio is $200 cheaper than the Yamaha.

Based on the specification, Casio has more features than Yamaha and it even comes with an adjustable bench. Actually, I don't care much for most of the features as I am just a beginner and it will take me years before I will know and learn all the features anyway.

What I care most is the key action and response that will give me a close to acoustic piano experience. Also, I would like to know which one will give me lesser maintenace/ repair headache.

Thanks for your suggestions/comments in advance.

Edited by LAX (06/25/11 07:21 PM)

#1701967 - 06/25/11 06:32 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: PlasticGlass]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
LAX, if you are primarily concerned about the quality of the keyboard action, I would suggest you also consider the CLP-330, which features the GH3 action.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1701985 - 06/25/11 07:28 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: Kawai James]
LAX Offline

James, isn't it the CLP-330 is more expansive than the YDP-181? There is only one dealer at 3 locations in my area that carry the Clavinova line. - LAX

#1701991 - 06/25/11 07:38 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: PlasticGlass]
8000 Post Club Member

LAX, yes, I expect the CLP-330 may be a little more expensive than the YDP-181, however because this is an older model (the CLP-400 range are now shipping), you may be able to pick-up a good deal.

Cheers,
James
x

#1702015 - 06/25/11 08:21 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: Kawai James]
LAX Offline

James,

The AP-620 is $1,399 and the YDP-181 is $1,599 and their price are fixed in couple of the local stores but these stores don't have the Clavinova line.

The only company has 3 locations in my area that carrries the Clavinova line only list the MSRP. I easily feel intimated by salespersons. Just wonder if you happen to know what is the price point of the CLP-330. It will help me a lot before walking in the store.

Thank you for your help.

-LAX

#1702018 - 06/25/11 08:35 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: PlasticGlass]
8000 Post Club Member

LAX, sorry, I'm afraid I don't know the prices of Clavinova models in the US.

Cheers,
James
x

#1702020 - 06/25/11 08:38 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: Kawai James]
LAX Offline

James,

No problem. Thank you again.

-LAX

#1702064 - 06/25/11 10:27 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: PlasticGlass]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
LAX: The prices on the high-end Yamahas (and other brands) are set by negotiation.
Whatever the retail price is ... don't pay that.
Whatever the "reduced" price or "sale" price is tagged on the piano ... don't pay that.

Instead, check the prices paid thread on this forum.

Or look at pianobuyer.com, with prices in the appendix section. Expect to reduce the "MSRP" price by 40% or so, and make an offer.

#1702074 - 06/25/11 10:55 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: LAX]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Originally Posted By: LAX
I have been searching for an EP for a month now. My neighbor suggested me to look into the Casio AP 620. I was at a local store the other day, the salesperson recommeneded the Yamaha YDP181 to me. I believe the Casio is $200 cheaper than the Yamaha.

Based on the specification, Casio has more features than Yamaha and it even comes with an adjustable bench. Actually, I don't care much for most of the features as I am just a beginner and it will take me years before I will know and learn all the features anyway.

What I care most is the key action and response that will give me a close to acoustic piano experience. Also, I would like to know which one will give me lesser maintenace/ repair headache.

LAX,
I believe there is a Yahama Arius 161 priced around the Casio AP-620. The 181 is priced higher. I would go with the Yahama over the Casio as the actions seem much more reliable and less problematic. The current lineup from Casio seems to exhibit keys that become loose and wobbly. There is a lot more side to side play in the Casios. This seems to plague their entire line of current models. There have been quite a few complaints about the Casio keybeds. Casio has been replacing defective keybeds for customers but it is an obvious area of concern. The AP-620 is a very nice piano and is loaded with features. It is pretty much a PX-330 in a nicer cabinet with a higher wattage amp and more speakers. If you're thinking about the Clavinova line, be prepared to open up your wallet. If you're just starting out, the Arius line is more than adequate. Just my 2 cents.

#1702145 - 06/26/11 01:18 AM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: MacMacMac]
LAX Offline

MacMacMac,

Thanks for the tip. smile

-LAX

#1702152 - 06/26/11 01:36 AM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: galaxy4t]
LAX Offline

Originally Posted By: galaxy4t
Originally Posted By: LAX

LAX,
I believe there is a Yahama Arius 161 priced around the Casio AP-620. The 181 is priced higher. I would go with the Yahama over the Casio as the actions seem much more reliable and less problematic. The current lineup from Casio seems to exhibit keys that become loose and wobbly. There is a lot more side to side play in the Casios. This seems to plague their entire line of current models. There have been quite a few complaints about the Casio keybeds. Casio has been replacing defective keybeds for customers but it is an obvious area of concern. The AP-620 is a very nice piano and is loaded with features. It is pretty much a PX-330 in a nicer cabinet with a higher wattage amp and more speakers. If you're thinking about the Clavinova line, be prepared to open up your wallet. If you're just starting out, the Arius line is more than adequate. Just my 2 cents.

Galaxy4t,

I read from another forum someone managed to get a CLP-330 for $1,800. If I can get the same deal, should I get the CLP-330 or just stick with the YDP-181 for $1,599?

-LAX

#1702159 - 06/26/11 01:56 AM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: PlasticGlass]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
LAX,
There are always deals to be had, and if you have the budget, and can afford it, go for it. If you could get a Clavinova for $300 over an Arias, it's a no brainer, just be sure it is the one for you. Keep in mind that all digitals have flaws, even the more expensive ones. The most important thing is key action which you have to decide for yourself what feels good to you. This is often difficult for a beginner to judge.

#1702171 - 06/26/11 03:01 AM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: galaxy4t]
LAX Offline

Galazy4t,

Thanks for the advice.

-LAX

#1707459 - 07/04/11 08:20 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP 620 buy or not to buy [Re: PlasticGlass]
SteveConslaw Offline

Loc: Indiana, USA
I just bought an AP620 at Sweetwater Sound's annual Gear Fest. They had a great price, but they only had one of them. (I guess they're still in short supply.)

I posted a detailed review on Amazon.com. Here's the link.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R30FVVA5GJR...=&linkCode=

If you are within a day's drive of Fort Wayne, Indiana, you should go to Gear Fest next June. There are plenty of interesting demos, and great deals as well.

Steve Conslaw
Indianapolis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (Almaviva, ABC Vermonter, accordeur, A Guy, 38 invisible), 1498 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153714 Topics
2253417 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will you take Manhattan?
by davefrank
04/24/14 11:31 PM
Growing student
by pianoplayer84
04/24/14 11:19 PM
Our first piano acquisition- Yamaha U3
by Manutabora
04/24/14 07:56 PM
Yamaha Grand buying choices
by BrianDX
04/24/14 07:35 PM
what run and fill/rhythm pattern is this guy using?
by indianboy
04/24/14 07:30 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission