2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for all of the reactions! I really appreciate it that so many people answered smile.

First of all, I wanted to say I'm a "she". Not that that fact has any importance in this topic, but it's a bit weird to see people talking about you with "he" when you're not a man.

@ Casinitaly: I'm not taking any lessons (I don't have the time and the money to do that), so the chance that I will play on a real piano or more expensive keyboard is quite small. So I think that I won't have the same problem as you had, since I don't know what a good piano feels like (unless I buy one).

@ Reza: Why is it that the action comes first? When I look at people playing the piano, the thing that seems hardest to me, is remembering the moves you have to do with your fingers, and I think that's something you can learn on any instrument with keys? And the Yamaha DGX640 is 699 euros, I really can't afford that...

And about killing the beginner's passion: I won't have lessons, so I'm not going to play on a better piano, maybe that prevents the problem?

About waiting and saving money to buy a better keyboard: I can't do that. I'm a student and I still live with my parents. They wouldn't like it if I'd buy something that's quite expensive without being 100% sure about using it very often. I really want to learn to play the piano, but I never even touched it, so I can't be certain about really liking it. I think I will, but unless I can be certain, I can't take the risk of buying something that costs as much as a good digital piano... The absolute maximum I can spend is 300 euros, for the next... at least five years. And I could wait those 5 years, but (even when I ignore the fact that I want it as soon as possible :D) I think it will be harder to learn then, because now I still have some advantage of being quite young.

@ Gyro: Thanks, I'll certainly ask if they've got an adapter, if I'd decide to buy it! About the inexpensive 61-key-keyboard: I'm worried that you may hear that it's not expensive. I searched for some less expensive keyboards, but they all look very cheap, and I didn't look better to it because I assumed they would sound like that too. But that's not true?

@ Ando: http://www.keymusic.com/product/Yamaha-DGX640-Cherry -> it really is

@ Kawai James: In my reaction to Reza, I explained why I can't save money to buy a more expensive piano. The only consequence of waiting (unless I wait 20 years or so) is that I get older and maybe lose the ability to learn at a decent speed...

@ Johnmok: How was the sound quality of that keyboard you started with? And were there a lot of limitations on what songs you could play?

@ RafaPolit: Thanks! Your reaction made it clearer to me why people here say to buy a better piano. But i just can't afford a more expensive piano...

@ sinopiano: I searched for the price of those keyboards, they cost 1799 euros... That's way out of my budget range... But thanks for your reaction!

@ anotherscott: Thanks for your reactions! smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gletsjer, I don't have much to add other than to wish you the best of luck with your studies - both academic and musical. wink

Take care,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
J
well, about the entry model keyboard, the sound is not that bad, and there is not much limitation on the songs that could play, as my tutor know that i am using 61 keys keyboard, he choose some pieces that are within the key-range.

my old keyboard model is yamaha e423, i think your choice(np30) would be better, if you mainly concentrate on piano stuff

YAMAHA PSR-E423 / KORG microSTATION / Roland FP-7F
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
I wonder how many people here would wait 5 months (forget 5 years) to save up for a better instrument if they had absolutely nothing to use in the mean time. There's a difference between waiting to upgrade to something better, and waiting to have anything at all.

I agree, get something you can afford, sooner rather than later, and start learning.

At its price, the NP-30 is probably the best feeling and best sounding (esp. with headphones) piano-oriented keyboard you can get. It's also well known and popular, so if you decide piano playing isn't for you, you probably won't have too much problem finding someone to buy it used and get a good amount of your money back.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Why not the THOMANN SP-5100?. Its keyboard is weighted , and it costs € 315.

I thought of buying this piano when I was looking for one.

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Recaredo
Why not the THOMANN SP-5100?. Its keyboard is weighted , and it costs € 315.

In the U.S., there is nothing with a weighted action near the price of the NP30. But if there are weighted options near the price where you are, that would certainly be worth a look.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by doremi
what is the company with the USB-to-MIDI adapter? Is there a URL available?

http://www.iconnectmidi.com/

It's a multifunction device sold mainly to integrate MIDI equipment with iOS, but it also functions as a bridge between USB and standard MIDI devices

B
B
Gletsjer,
The NP 30 was my first keyboard purchase, in part because I didn't want to spend much until I was sure I would stick to the work of learning to play. As you can see below, I have added some instruments. I spend the most time on the Korg, which has a weighted action keybed, most like the feel of a real piano. The NP 30 is at our cottage and is a pleasure to play when we are there. I can't imagine ever wanting to sell it, and suspect that other owners feel the same because it is rare to see one used on Ebay or Craigslist here in the USA. You could certainly start learning piano on the NP 30.

If you can wait a month, Yamaha will soon be offering a "little sister" so to speak, to the 30. Google "Yamaha NP-11", which is a 61-key version of these piano focused instruments. I'm betting it will have the same good-playing feel and sounds as the NP 30/31, and it looks like it will be sold for $149 in the USA. That would sure be an inexpensive way to start!

The power supply is usually a $30 extra with on-line sellers. I get mine for $2 or $3 at thrift shops here. The 12-volt adapters that the Yamaha needs are very common and easy to find, used. Just make sure it is marked DC, direct current, and + on the center pin. Anything 10-12 volts, 900-1200 mAmps will work just fine. Another $30 would be well spent on headphones. The little speakers on portable pianos do not reveal the full sound of the built-in voices.

If you are starting without a piano teacher, go to the "Adult beginners forum" here--you may have done so already-- and see what books and aids others have used and recommend. Welcome to piano music!

Bob M

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333
P
P
Hi Gletsjer,

I just wanted to share all my sympathy and my best wishes for your first dive into the fascinating world of piano!

My feeling is that you are so fresh and motivated that you'll certainly be able to do progress well whatever the keyboard you start practicing with, and I have absolutely no doubt that you will enjoy playing piano.

I never saw an NP30 but from the demos it looks like it is difficult to beat it at that price.
The keyboard is reported to be semi-weighted, which should still be better than an unweighted one.

The other thing that comes to my mind is that you might be able to find some place where you could practice on an acoustic piano for free every now and then, just to get the 'feel' of it while you are still a beginner.

For example, I think that some churches could have a piano for worship services, and may be happy to let you use it during the afternoon.

Let us have some video of your first performances!

Ciao,
Paolo

Yamaha CLP-970
Roland JV-1080
R
R
Dear Gletsjer, I wish you the best start with your piano path, if you have no better choice for now, I also want to say that go with NP30. Anything is better than just waiting. My first electronics instrument was a miniature toy keyboard (casio SA-1). It was my best friend during college. Every musician plays his/her heart song at first place, the instrument comes second.

S
S
Hi Gletsjer,

Take into account your financial problem, Yamaha P155 (800-1000 USD) may be the best choice (GH action with excellent sound). Among these popular models, as far as I know, Roland FP-7F (2000 USD) makes the best deal. And don't buy those "semi-weighted" ones, you'll be regret.

Take care,
Sinopiano

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I recently bought the NP-30 and am very happy with the sounds, as well as the keyboard action. Just wondering about the pedal - How is the "regular" sustain pedal and the little square switch pedal different in function? I asked Sweetwater, but got no response.

J
J
Originally Posted by Elssa
I recently bought the NP-30 and am very happy with the sounds, as well as the keyboard action. Just wondering about the pedal - How is the "regular" sustain pedal and the little square switch pedal different in function? I asked Sweetwater, but got no response.

the square one just look cheap so sold at a lower price

the pedal one have a "real" feel, so price climbs a little bit

basically they have the same function thumb

YAMAHA PSR-E423 / KORG microSTATION / Roland FP-7F
B
B
Elssa,

The foot switch is simply off/on, sustain/no sustain. The FC-3 pedal, and many from other sellers support "half pedaling" where you can vary the length of the sustain with the position of your foot on the pedal. The half pedaling effect is less dramatic within a phrase.

Bob M

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the pedal clarification. smile

Gletsjer: Again, I'm most satisfied with my NP-30, though if had to do over would get the NP-31 (only about $10.00 more).. Apparently it's easier to change the settings with that one - otherwise the same.

G
OP Offline
G
Hey!

Thanks for all of the reactions! I've bought the Yamaha NP-30 and I'm happy with it smile

I do get why people want weighted keys, being able to press them this easy doesn't feel realistic. But I'm getting used to it, so it's not really a problem.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gletsjer
I do get why people want weighted keys, being able to press them this easy doesn't feel realistic. But I'm getting used to it, so it's not really a problem.

Pianists use touch to feel where their hands are on the keys, so their fingers often brush against many keys that are not meant to be played. The problem with unweighted keys is they are all too easy to accidentally play in this scenario.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gletsjer
Hey!

Thanks for all of the reactions! I've bought the Yamaha NP-30 and I'm happy with it smile

Congrats, Gletsjer! thumb Enjoy, and please keep us posted how it goes. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission