2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1702937 06/27/11 11:53 AM
K
KathyT Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I own a beautiful rebuilt Steinway L model circa 1926. I have been noticing a few odd sounds during the last several months. When I play the e and g below middle C I hear a sort of crunchy sound - like the felt hitting the strings. Occasionally, I hear a similar but more metallic sound when I play one of the high Ds in the upper register. I am wondering if it the felt is too soft or too hard, but the felt is relatively new, since I own the piano only a year. Or could it be related to fluctuating humidity levels during the changing seasons. [I recently installed a DampChaser humidifier to protect the soundboard.] Other than this, the piano sounds beautiful - has a tremendous tone and is very responsive. Any suggestions? Lastly (not related to felt, I think), when I play a D in the upper register at forte volume, I hear the damper hit an extra string on the way down. I have had a technician adjust the string, but it continues to happen. Any suggestions??

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Is the sound when you hit the key, or when you release it? If when you release it, that would sound like hard damper felt.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hi KathyT

There are mainly only two regular faults associated with grand damper noises.

1. A slight swishing noise when the dampers are starting to lift or return ... mostly happens where the damper felt is either wedge i.e "V" shaped - or double wedge (looks like the wedge shape but is split down the middle. These are used mainly on the 2 and 3 strings per note in the bass. Steinways nearly always have a mixture of plain flat and double wedge on each damper in the tenor section too.
2. Metallic and crunching noises - These are very often caused by the damper wires being mis-aligned, and tend to be more severe when a note is played forte.

It's impossiblt to identify your faults without hearing the noise, but if you could record it and post an e-mail attchment, I should be able to identify exactly what your problem might be.

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Johnkie, Loren

Are there similar effects in uprights? Some of the bass and lower tenor strings on my newly acquired 1922 Zeitter & Winkelmann are a bit noisy when the keys are released. Everything in the piano appears to be original and not too worn. Is it possible to soften the damper felts (which I'd prefer) or should they be replaced?

Thanks, Ian.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hi Withindale,

Bass and lower tenor damper noises are mainly a feature of grands, but sometimes uprights suffer too, especially if the felt is of the double wedge type used on tri-chords. Damper spring tension can affect damper noises .... too much tends to lead to a "thumping" sound as the damper returns .... and too little can lead to a "buzzing" type of sound as the damper struggles to arrest the strings. I sometimes come across pianos where the felt has hardened up a little too much with general wear and tear, and find that easing the felt with toning needles restores the (almost) noiseless damping. Most reported damper noise problems are as a result of wedge damper felt .... (very seldom the flat treble type ... unless damaged by water!!)

I've experienced the actual damper wire buzzing against the string in the past. It's worth eliminating as a possibility; hold the damper up and very gently a fraction to the side away from the string, then play the note to see if the sound has gone. To me though, the noise you have described when you play the note not release it, is indicative of the hammer felt bouncing out of check onto the string because there is too much tension in the lever spring. Get your tech to check it out.
On the upper D played at forte I think you are saying the damper felt does not hit all three strings simultaneously when it returns. If your tech really has levelled the 3 strings (check it with a metal ruler) then the damper head needs squaring up!

delacey-simms
piano tuner, technician and enthusiast.
All my comments are posted with the utmost respect to the other technicians
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Damper guide rail bushings could play a factor in that D problem too.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Many thanks Johnkie

"... too little can lead to a "buzzing" type of sound as the damper struggles to arrest the strings." Precisely.

Ian

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Only too pleased to have been able to help Withindale thumb

Just an addition to Johnkie's advice, stiff damper center can have same effect, if you tighten the spring to compensate you might get that irritating high pitched squeak of the centre pin turning in the wood. Release the spring and check the flange moves freely first!

delacey-simms
piano tuner, technician and enthusiast.
All my comments are posted with the utmost respect to the other technicians
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by delacey-simms
stiff damper center can have same effect, if you tighten the spring to compensate you might get that irritating high pitched squeak of the centre pin turning in the wood.

And to this I would further add the problem of heavier touch (at least on non-pedalled play) resulting from both the stiff damper center and the tightened spring.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
K
KathyT Offline OP
OP Offline
K
The crunchy sound is after the note is hit (on release) and the metallic sound happens when the key is hit. I think Johnkie below has hit the nail on the head (no pun intended). Any further thoughts are welcome and thanks to all! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's very likely that sound after the note is released, is due to "zinging" from the dampers as they come back down on the strings again. This can be corrected easily enough.

It is also likely, that the damper stop rail or up lift rail, is not adjusted correctly, allowing the dampers to travel up to high giving you that metallic sound when the key is hit.

Your solution is to hire a good technician that can correct these things. It is not a difficult fix if that is the problem.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission