Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
112 registered (36251, Anne'sson, A Guy, anotherscott, 37 invisible), 1459 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1701694 - 06/25/11 08:15 AM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Is it coming or going? Look closely!

For Kathy K

And an Estey Organ from Brattleboro Vt. This was a surprise!

And some even earlier...

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#1701695 - 06/25/11 08:19 AM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Sorry for their bluriness - it was very dark in the hall, many were under glass, and we could not use flash.

See the lady in the corner? She is hiding instruments in her skirt! Hope someone has better pics of her!

#1701744 - 06/25/11 09:56 AM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
musdan Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Lilylady thanks for all the great pictures. I'm curious, were any of the instruments playable and if so were you allonwed to give it a whirl?

Could be that because of age the answer would be no, but maybe one or two of the instruments were open to the public.

I wonder if the museums you visited gave concerts using these instruments - it would be interesting to hear them played.

#1701765 - 06/25/11 10:49 AM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

MD, in some places use of the instruments was encouraged. And at the radio station 'old instrument quarters', the instruments are used for concerts and recordings!

Pics there will come later by me or somebody.

Honestly, you just cannot imagine the overload we had and hundreds (sometimes thousands for some) pics that were taken.

I am not surprised that other members with lives to live have not yet posted their pics. I, on the other hand, have had 3 days of rain. And I am a gardener!!!

#1702435 - 06/26/11 02:37 PM Re: European Piano Tour Begins! - See the Pictures [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

There were so many highlights in all the German / Barvarian / Austrian places we visited but I had a hunch from an early enticement picture that I was going to enjoy Bayreuth (pronounced by roit) and I did. Cobblestone streets, ancient architecture, safe at night, biergartens, musuems, the Steingraeber factory, opera houses. I was in heaven!

Although we could shoot pics at the Steingraeber factory, we were asked to submit them before uploading them and well, they are shut down for summer vacation now, so those will be uploaded later. But I don't want to wait to share the town pics with you!

Before we entered the town, we stopped at the Wagner designed Opera House.

cont....

#1702438 - 06/26/11 02:43 PM Re: European Piano Tour Begins! - See the Pictures [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Touring the old square.

Each town has a traditional May Pole in the Ctr with flags of the shops/artisans in town.

continued....

#1702440 - 06/26/11 02:48 PM Re: European Piano Tour Begins! - See the Pictures [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Off for another walk and biergarten after dinner.

Soon (well, not really soon - it had been a l o n g day!)

The hotel room was a welcome site. For tonite anyway!

#1702910 - 06/27/11 10:55 AM Re: European Piano Tour Begins! - See the Pictures [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

OK, Udo Steingraeber gave his permission to use the following pictures!

Steingraeber Palace seen above, along with lunch.

A warm welcome extended to PW members from Udo and to Steingraeber owners Bob and Ruth.

And a champagne celebratory start!

With views of two of the older Steingraeber grands (the Lizst piano was out for a performance) and an antique upright

with Kathy playing

My fingers itched to try it out with Chopin 97/2

Some of us got to meet Udo with his Mother

continued

#1702919 - 06/27/11 11:11 AM Re: European Piano Tour Begins! - See the Pictures [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The back of the building has this wonderful old sign (in two parts)

which led over to another factory building

A few snaps of the mfg and veneer

Note the unique Steingraeber straight bass bridge

The famous soundboard sand tapping

A new plate design being perfected

We had a surprise visitor join us in the factory tour. Owner/concert pianist Milus Scruggs who was ever so helpful to point out some tips on what makes the Steingraeber unique.

continued

#1702921 - 06/27/11 11:23 AM Re: European Piano Tour Begins! - See the Pictures [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

After the tour, we had a lovely concert by Lisa Wellisch.

Followed by several members playing

Don't you just love the mirror views?

All and all, a most wonderful afternoon. A special thanks to Udo Steingraeber whose factory was actually shut down for their summer vacation, but who kept everything out for demonstration purposes..., just for us!

Now,

If I were a rich man...ya ha deedle deedle...

#1703094 - 06/27/11 04:28 PM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Additional Pictures are posted in the PHOTO GALLERY
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield let's get together!

#1703425 - 06/28/11 06:12 AM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks for sharing the pics Bart and Eric! Nice memories.

#1703612 - 06/28/11 01:31 PM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I will never again think of Nuremburg just as the place where the trials were located. It was such a lovely old city before the war and I have the pics to prove it! smirk

The old town is only about 10 percent of what the whole city was, and is based on the hillside and fortress. Note that I mentioned hillside!

High on a hill, the fortress area. Yes we had to go over a bridge and in a tunnel to get there!

What were they looking at?

The view from the fortress was incredible.

#1703615 - 06/28/11 01:35 PM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

One of the oldest buildings - I think it was 1300s.

After a stroll downhill - one of many town squares

More strolling downhill and more old architecture

#1703616 - 06/28/11 01:37 PM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Each city has its quirkiness for some distinctive feature. Old Nuremburg had these

#1703620 - 06/28/11 01:41 PM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

And yes there were churches/cathedrals. Every old city we visited did!

ONE

TWO

And town squares

where here we saw on the ground what must be for a steeple

And other odd pieces of architecture

And a wall sundial

above a beautifully painted mural building

All So Beautiful.

#1705089 - 06/30/11 05:05 PM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: lilylady]
musdan Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Lilylady for all the great pictures. It's a wonder that these old buildings survived WW II.

Bet you and others are planning to go back some day. smile thumb

#1705151 - 06/30/11 06:39 PM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
RickG1 Offline

Loc: TX
Frank and Lilylady,
Thanks for the great pics! It certainly reminds me of the times we had in Germany. It sure looks like a great time was had by all.

#1705391 - 07/01/11 03:27 AM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bucuresti, Romania
Only WOW !! What a well rounded tour by such a well rounded group ! ;-)

Did any of you listen to organs (professionally) played, took closer photos of consoles with dispositions, discussed with any organist or even played her/himself ?

From my brief childhood memories of Germany (for heart surgery in Munich) I somewhat recognize the rotating figurine church tower in Munich. And some wonderful toy and train museums in Nurnberg, Munich, maybe Salzburg if that's right too.

Locks of lovers on a metal fence were in the highest place of Tartu, Estonia too. But only put by Russians - native Estonian did not have that custom.

#1705512 - 07/01/11 10:37 AM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Food. And Spirits.

Great! and plenty of it, daily. For sure we had some great dinners. And the breakfast was an array of food.

First night in Hafen Hamburg overlooking the river. Elegant.

Elegant Hors d'heuvres

Then a surpise from British Jim for his lovely bride for their anniversary

There were outside cafes

and rest stops with gorgeous countryside views

And food, food, food!

And Spirits

Where the Riesling grows - Wachau Valley on the Danube hillsides

I have a more complete listing of pics with notes on WTF if you'd care to indulge

Food
http://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/1571085816

The Spirits:
http://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/2391037816

and shortly I'll have the breakfast fare up.

#1705523 - 07/01/11 10:50 AM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
Rotom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The pics of the food makes me feel really hungry! Thanks, lilylady, and Frank, For all these wonderful pictures that you are sharing with all of us!

#1705540 - 07/01/11 11:18 AM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Rotom]
musdan Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rotom
The pics of the food makes me feel really hungry! Thanks, lilylady, and Frank, For all these wonderful pictures that you are sharing with all of us!

All that food and beautiful scenery, what a great time all of you had - I'm with Rotom - thanks for "taking us" with you.

Love that picture of you Lilylady - that beer looks good. thumb smile

#1706080 - 07/02/11 08:27 AM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

One of our first nights on the road was the gorgeous old hotel sitting right on the river. Elegant through and through...

except maybe the old Bechstein in the convention hall which a few of us tried....

but the old Steinway in the lobby got use!

I'll post some pics of the hotel shortly.

Here's the mixed video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3R2qYlL90

Adding pics now -

Gorgeous old hotel sitting right on the river. Elegant through and through...

except maybe the old Bechstein in the conference room which a few of us tried - no matter we had fun....

but the old Steinway in the lobby got good use!

The Rhine side

Ferry crossing the river

Restaurant was right on the river!

Elegant old staircase

Edited by lilylady (07/02/11 12:08 PM)

#1706476 - 07/03/11 12:43 AM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
HwyStar Online   content

Thanks for the wonderful pics Lily! As is always, you are a sweetheart for sharing them with us!

#1706683 - 07/03/11 02:23 PM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Today's adventure involves the German Technical Museum and their displays of instruments (focus - keyboard) and mechanical musical devices.

It was wonderful and our tour guide most appreciative. We could play some old instruments even.

I'll share a video first and then some pictures. I took lots but some are blurry due to the darkness and reflections of the glass. I cleaned them up the best I could. As Frank mentioned earlier these do take some time to post so I hope you enjoy! It was the most fun of the museums for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYFLtzB8r60

(Thanks to FTP, I was able to turn some vids around upright and put together a vid on Automated instruments right on Windows Movie Maker.) Phew!

Streicher and Sohn

Neo Bechstein

Bosie

Automated Bluthner

more coming...

#1706685 - 07/03/11 02:26 PM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Steinway automated - Oak

#1706688 - 07/03/11 02:30 PM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Odd ones...

#1706690 - 07/03/11 02:33 PM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

More automated

#1706696 - 07/03/11 02:41 PM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: Piano World]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The organs -

This one is for APPLE - called the APPLE ORGAN and very rare/early!

A whole room for display of restoring old pipe organs.

I hope that one day you can visit this fantastic museum. I could spend hours there.

#1706810 - 07/03/11 07:17 PM Re: European Piano Tour - See the Pictures! [Re: lilylady]
musdan Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Liliylady,

Thanks so much for all those great pictures. I wish I had a way of sending the pictures of the organs to my nephew. He's an organist. Maybe one day he can visit the places all of you
did. smile

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
12/20/14 05:23 AM
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Forum Stats
77369 Members
42 Forums
160009 Topics
2349771 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission