2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I'm still in piano heaven up in the clouds from the weekend! laugh

Thank you Pam and Dan for the absolutely wonderful weekend! laugh

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you spearheading the Estonia Bomber Jacket Project Norbert?
No,no: Estonia is thinking of throwing in a BMW bike with their pianos....
[9" concerts only, pst,pst wink ]

Some of the other manufacturers that you represent may come "Gunning" for the Estonias. Just kidding.
That's only to be expected: everybody is gunning for everybody anyways.

What counts is who's got the hottest jackets in the industry or...

...throws in a Harley next...

Norbert wink

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Rich Galassini Said:

By the way, I love the jacket. It looks like it fits perfectly.

Thanks to YOU, Rich, for going out of your way to get it for me. Joe and I were talking about starting our own Mason "biker" gang!! laugh laugh

Piano Technician/Tuner
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Finally getting my two cents in. It was a great time. It was wonderful hearing everyone! First time I met Ori, John C., Linda and Roy Peters (somehow I think I missed the famous David Stanwood, or maybe it was just a quick "hi").

Dan and Pam are terrific hosts and we heard a lot of great playing.

I've been hearing about Dan's CC2 and have been anxious to try it since I have one of the same vintage (5 yrs. apart). It sounded great and the action was really smooth and even. The action is better than mine, but IMO not by enough for me to consider Stanwood treatment for my own piano. I still have some old parts in mine (particularly the original whippens), plus I have hammer issues. So I think I'd go there first and see how far those changes take me.

I was also investigating his room treatments (rugs and bass traps). I have room acoustic issues too.

Thanks, Dan and Pam! I know we'll be staying in touch on piano technical matters, for sure! Congratulations on both your beautiful pianos!

L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
To Dan and Pam, Thanks for yet another wonderful time at the Dan and Pam Piano research center! I had a great time as usual and the Indian food was delicious although I have no idea what it was. Great to see old friends again and meet a few new ones too. There were allot of really great players there. It was fun to watch them try to decide which piano they should play. I thought we were invaded by the local Hells Angels at one point but it turned out to be Dan and Joe in their M&H motorcycle jackets. Rich if you get me one I promise to wear it in Steinway Hall. Thanks Again Dan and Pam and keep in touch!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Finally think I have a few minutes to steal...

Like I said, it was awesome. Thank you Dan (and Pam) for your gracious hospitality. The food was fantastic!! OMG, I think I had one too many desserts.

I got to try out the Estonia and it's very nice (so beautiful to look at too). The M&H? Wowza, that's some instrument. What a beauty. It's totally different now with the new key set. IMO, the Stanwood treatment is noticeable. I found single repeated notes to be more difficult to execute and wonder if that's an effect of Standwoodizing? The key dip is a joy (so was that dip in the kitchen! wink ) but the immediate return seems slightly sluggish (just ever so slightly). The tone is gorgeous to my ears.

I enjoyed meeting some new members and seeing familiar faces once again.

Congrats to Pam for getting up to play in front of us all as a newbie. I love your playing Dan, it is soulful and a pleasure to listen to. Thanks again for the wonderful party.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Bernard,
Thanks for your kind comments, and for making the trip in from the city. I was really hoping you could make it, and was happy when you said you were able to. Your playing, as usual, was beautiful and expressive. Glad you enjoyed the pianos, as I know they must have enjoyed you playing them.

Lee,
As usual, thanks for making my night with your terrific rendition of the #12 Rach prelude. It was great to have you there, as well as your boy Patrick. What a great kid! Keep in touch, and let's get together soon.

Joe,
Thank you, as well, for making the trip out.
We all enjoyed your playing, and I'm glad you were finally able to get an opportunity to play another CC2 relatively close to home. It always helps to experience other instruments when making decisions on where to go next with your own.

Frank, Bill, Roberta, Terry, John and Ori,
Your presence, and playing, were a terrific addition to a really great day. Thanks for making the effort to be here. Roberta, many thanks for starting this wonderful thread, and for all the pictures. I will be adding mine shortly.

And, finally, for everyone else whom I might have failed to acknowledge, thanks for sharing our home, and pianos, with Pam and myself. You helped to make the day really memorable.

Piano Technician/Tuner
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Bernard said:
I found single repeated notes to be more difficult to execute and wonder if that's an effect of Standwoodizing? The key dip is a joy (so was that dip in the kitchen! [Wink] ) but the immediate return seems slightly sluggish (just ever so slightly)

Hi again Bernard. Just wanted to address this by saying that it is a function of the repetition spring tension. I have the rep spring tension on the lower side right now because of how close I have the let off set (to avoid bobbling and double striking). Your point is well taken, and I intend to experiment with bringing up the rep spring tension to the point just shy of these effects occurring. Thanks for your observation. That's pianos for you......there is always something that can be done to make them a little bit better. I guess that's why I love working on them so much laugh
Dan

Piano Technician/Tuner
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
What a terrific day! Sorry to have missed it.

A Mason and a big one at that - and an Estonia. What a wonderful pairing!

So, Dan and Pam.... Have you given any thought as to Piano #3? What's next on your list?

wink

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Jeanne
Yes, as a matter of fact, that was a lively topic of conversation at the party. I definitely want a third....what it will be will remain to be seen. The Mason and Estonia are such contrasting instruments, and sound so different, that any third member of the group would have to add its own distinct voice to the chorus. One thing's for sure, though, half the fun will be in the search wink

Piano Technician/Tuner
Ori Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Dan,
Everything was great! thumb
You and Pam were the perfect hosts.

It was nice to see everyone, and especially the "New England chapter of PW" who came all the way from MA.

I only wish I could have arrived a bit earlier. frown

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to NEXT YEAR'S piano party. wink

Ori Bukai - Owner/Founder of Allegro Pianos - CT / NYC area.

One can usually play at our showroom:

Bluthner, Steingraeber, Estonia, Haessler, Sauter, Kawai, Steinway, Bosendorfer and more.

www.allegropianos.com
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks Ori,
Your presence, and playing, are always an asset to our parties. Have to start planning soon for the next one wink

Bernard,
Just wanted to update you. I took your observation and went in to see what I could do about it. I was able to increase the tension on the repetition springs significantly without adversely affecting any other aspect of regulation, so the return is significantly faster now. What I will do now is readjust the magnets to compensate for the additional resistance the springs are providing. You should notice a real improvement in key return the next time you play the big boy.

Piano Technician/Tuner
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
... the next time you play the big boy. [/qb]
Let's see...

You have THE BIG BOY,

THE LITTLE LADY,

hmmmmm......, without getting A GRAND KID,

what does that leave for the third addition?

huh, huh, huh?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by lilylady:
... the next time you play the big boy.
Let's see...

You have THE BIG BOY,

THE LITTLE LADY,

hmmmmm......, without getting A GRAND KID,

what does that leave for the third addition?

huh, huh, huh?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [/QB]
Hmm,

The Mason & Hamlin mates with the Estonia and an
Estonia Mason is born! eek :rolleyes:

The Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And at long last... Lilylady.. exploring the magic of the CC2 (LJC looking on).

[Linked Image]

I enjoy the passion and the feeling Lilylady brings forth in her music. I am fortunate in having her for a piano friend for the comfort she offers me in facing my fears when playing in front of a crowd. For right now, (I'm a work in progress) I'm the one in the crowd that needs the extra nudge to get up and perform.

I'm also fortunate that her expertise as a former piano teacher, allows me an opportunity to be coached whenever she feels necessary. She has been given free reign to zone in on any improvements I need to make. I love "free" advise!!

Having the opportunity to meet at gatherings with piano friends are all part of a wonderful journey I've been allowed to experience. heart

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Hi again everyone,
Well, it's been exactly one week since the big "shindig on Long Island". As promised, I'm finally getting around to posting some of the pictures I took. Enjoy!!:

Roberta takes the Big Boy for a ride while John looks on:

[Linked Image]

The gang chillin' at the night's end:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Karen and Pam ham it up for the camera:

[Linked Image]

Tim, Zeno, Estella, and RoyP enjoying each other's company and the music:

[Linked Image]

Mark turns pages for Linda:

[Linked Image]

Piano Technician/Tuner
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
And here's some more:

Frank and David Stanwood take in some fresh air:

[Linked Image]

John takes the Estonia 190 out for a spin:

[Linked Image]

Roberta leading the chorus:

[Linked Image]

Dr. V and the rest of the gang stay close to the Mason:

[Linked Image]

Dr. V doing some jazz improv on the Estonia:

[Linked Image]

RoyP, Mark and Gail Stanwood, (David's Mom):

[Linked Image]

David Stanwood and Shelley converse:

[Linked Image]

Terry preparing her luscious dip:

[Linked Image]

Piano Technician/Tuner
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Wonderful memories in these pics, Dan!

I had no decent pics of Roy or David Stanwood so was glad that you had some to post.

But, when did I become Italian (talking with my hands)?

What a great party it was...have you and Pam recovered?

And has Pam CHECKED OUT THE ADULT BEGINNER'S FORUM yet? (you go girl!)

And have you found the spot for the 3rd piano yet?

laugh

LL

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Great, thanks for adding your photos, Dan! And thanks to Roberta for her album, of course!

Again, it was a great and fun time.

I just know that in a year's time Dan will tweaked the CC2 to even greater heights! thumb

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Hi. It was great to meet everyone. I just returned today from a nice week working in New York. Thanks to Dan and Pam for a great party. I was glad to be there and to get to hear so many fine players. I only wish that it wasn't so far away.

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission