Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1491157 - 08/08/10 08:15 PM Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23?
ozzienovice Offline

Loc: Victoria, Australia
Dear CN-33 Owners, I have narrowed my search for new CDP to Kawai CN-23 or CN-33, with the CN-33 being about $500 extra here in Oz. I am a 1-year adult beginner who plays blues and jazz.
I have read the brochures and tried the CN-23 (but not the CN-33).
My question to you CN-33 owners is which extra features does it have, over and above the CN-23, that you really feel was worth the extra investment for you? Bottom line: should I spend the extra dollars.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1491285 - 08/08/10 11:44 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: ozzienovice]
Upright Offline

Loc: Germany
There are severeal additions to the CN33 I appreciate very much

Major
  • Line-In/Out
  • USB
  • Possibility to save your setting changes to user memory that is read on start up. The CN23 always loads the factory defaults at startup.

Minor
  • Better look of the CN33
  • Bigger speakers, so maybe better sound

#1491291 - 08/08/10 11:48 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: ozzienovice]
Stephen Lacefield Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I am really impressed with the CN-23. However, the $500 is worth the extra money for the CN-33.

1. CN-33 has buttons whereas the CN-23 you must depress a button and a note to change sounds. CN-33 is much more user friendly, worth the price of admission, IMHO.
2. Extra sounds.
3. USB
4. LED display (metronome and other features are easier to use)

You will not regret getting the CN-33 and years from now will not miss the $500.

Best
find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lacefieldmusic

#1491306 - 08/09/10 12:11 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: Stephen Lacefield]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
In addition to the points listed above, the CN33 keyboard action also features let-off simulation.

In my opinion you're getting a lot of extra piano for your $500, which - over the lifetime of the instrument - is a relatively small amount.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1491421 - 08/09/10 07:23 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: Kawai James]
Daniela Danesi Offline

Loc: Italy
Ozzienovice hi, before buying the cn 33 I also tried the cn 23 and then I can tell you I agree with Mawima, Stephen and James. The Kawai cn 33 has strings resonance, better speakers, more sounds, usb, line in/out, possibility to save sittings, better cabinet and let-off... so I think you you can pay an extra sum of difference for all this.
Anyway I could feel the difference playing the 2 DP. The sound of the cn 33 was more full and deep.
Greetings

#1491651 - 08/09/10 02:12 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: Daniela Danesi]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
The main reasons for me were the appearance of the CN33, it has front 'legs', the more powerful audio/speakers, the USB - which I'm not yet using, the ability to save some preferences - which I hardly use, and the extra sounds.

Edit to add that several months on I do use the ability to save preferences: piano sounds, touch, effects (resonances) and reverb.

Edited by spanishbuddha (12/07/10 05:48 PM)

#1491655 - 08/09/10 02:15 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: spanishbuddha]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
The other one is the 33 has temperament settings which I don't think the 23 has.

#1491902 - 08/09/10 06:14 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: Vectistim]
ozzienovice Offline

Loc: Victoria, Australia
Thank you, to all you kind CN-33 owners for your comments. I am now leaning towards the CN-33 and spending the extra money. But just when I had made this decision, the Kawai dealer says he can do a deal on the CN-42 which is to be replaced by CN-43. He can do the CN-42 for only $100 more than the CN-33! Older action, but lots of extras. Decisions, decisions. What would you guys do?

#1491938 - 08/09/10 06:50 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: ozzienovice]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: ozzienovice
Thank you, to all you kind CN-33 owners for your comments. I am now leaning towards the CN-33 and spending the extra money. But just when I had made this decision, the Kawai dealer says he can do a deal on the CN-42 which is to be replaced by CN-43. He can do the CN-42 for only $100 more than the CN-33! Older action, but lots of extras. Decisions, decisions. What would you guys do?

Play them side by side in the store. Do you need the extras on the CN42?

#1491982 - 08/09/10 07:34 PM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: spanishbuddha]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

That's a toughie.

Better action on the CN33, but more features on the CN42.

I'm with spanishbuddha - you'll need to play them side-by-side.
Also try playing them both with the power turned off to really get a feel for the actions.

Cheers,
James
x

#1492418 - 08/10/10 06:47 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: Kawai James]
eyst Offline

I thought the CN-33 has more touch sensitivity ranges than the CN-23 as well? like it has off, light1, light2, heavy1, heavy2 etc.

#1492423 - 08/10/10 07:06 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: eyst]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Yes, you're quite right.

James
x

#1704736 - 06/30/11 04:43 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: ozzienovice]
Peace-Piece Offline

Sorry to bring up an old thread..

I've been testing DP's recently and think I prefer the feel of the kawai models over the others. Today I tested a kdp-80, a cn-23r and a cn-33r. What does the 'r' mean? Are these new versions of the same models? Are the actions on the cn-23 and cn-33 supposed to be the same? I'm sure I read that somewhere but after playing them both today I was convinced they were different. To me, the cn-33 felt overall smoother and more balanced (disregarding the let-off). I think I actually preferred the kdp-80 to the cn-23. Or I could just be imagining things.

#1704776 - 06/30/11 07:37 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: ozzienovice]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Hello Peace-Piece,

Originally Posted By: Peace-Piece
What does the 'r' mean?

The letter after the model number indicated the cabinet finish. In this case 'Rosewood' (officially 'Premium Rosewood').

Are the actions on the cn-23 and cn-33 supposed to be the same?

Essentially, yes. They both utilise the 'Responsive Hammer' ('RH') keyboard action, however the CN33 features the let-off simulation.

I think I actually preferred the kdp-80 to the cn-23.

The KDP80 uses older keyboard and sound technology, and could be considered a rebadged CN21. Certainly not a bad instrument - especially not for the price - but not quite as rewarding a playing experience as the newer CNx3 models.

Regarding the differences in keyboard touch/feel, this could be caused by variations in sound between the three models (different speaker/amplifier combinations etc.). Therefore, I recommend playing the instrument switched off (or with the volume turned down to the lowest level) in order to compare keyboard actions.

Cheers,
James
x

#1704785 - 06/30/11 07:48 AM Re: Kawai CN-33 Owners - Why not CN-23? [Re: ozzienovice]
Peace-Piece Offline

Hi james, thanks for the reply.

Ah, rosewood. Should have figured that one out.

I'm still surprised they are the same. I actually did try that no sound technique. I also went in assuming they were the same but they felt different. I switched back and forth between the two and would have sworn I felt a noticeable difference.

I'm going to have go back and try the two again. The cn-33 would really be stretching my budget, and the most important thing to me is action and sound. Not concerned at all with anything else.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More Bach (Ich Ruf Zu Dir)
by johnlewisgrant
35 minutes 35 seconds ago
Incredibly short fugue
by Pencil_skirts_and_
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
The piano made it home in time...
by Rich Galassini
Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Teachers: Do you use John Thomson method books?
by Morodiene
Yesterday at 09:36 PM
Funny but true...
by PhilipInChina
Yesterday at 08:56 PM
Who's Online
120 registered (ando, andriy555, AmateurBob, aesop, 35 invisible), 1201 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76201 Members
42 Forums
157524 Topics
2313854 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission