2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
What is the best way to go about finding a good teacher who likes working with adults. I have had several years of lessons & have been practicing on my own for about a year & a half. I just feel like I need some direction to improve. any ideas?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think, a teacher is good teacher for adults, if she or he has very good communication skills. Then it would be easy to have different approches for each student. If a teacher has only one way that works with children, it may not work for you.

You could check if the teacher has a website. My experience is that a good teacher has a website, that reads well. Then the teacher is probably good in communication. You can ask the teacher if she already works with adults.

If the teacher has beautiful grand, that's a plus too. At least she has a decent income to pay for it. Also pay attention how she ordens her music sheets. If it's one chaotic mess. My experience is how greater the mess, how worse the lesson.

It's just my humble opinion.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Do you have a local performing arts center near you? In many areas they offer private lessons on various instruments, besides dance, etc. And, many of these centers attract the adult student because they offer lessons year round from beginner to fairly advanced,(not just summer classes for school children). My teacher teaches at ours, and has his separate roster of students.

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Don't look for a teacher. Look for other adults who are already doing what you want to be doing, and ask them about their teachers.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Simply ask questions. Be sure to ask if adult students are treated any differently than school age students, (they should be). Ask for some phone numbers of that teacher's other adult students. Listen carefully to the responses you get.

I thought I found a perfect teacher because she said she liked working with adults. She was pleasant enough but it took me a while to realize that I was at a severe disadvantage because she gave all the best repertoire, recital and master class opportunites to her school-aged students. I didn't realize that her main focus was to enter her school-aged students in competitions to enhance her reputation. She would get very upset if I acted like an adult and disagreed with her opinions. She expected me to follow her rigid youth-oriented syllabus which included among other things, keeping track of my practice time, competing in her trill speed contest, and being admonished and compared to her young students because I wasn't able to put in enough practice hours because of a demanding work week. I thought those requirements were ridiculous for an adult, but she was adamant. I found her stiffling and finally left her with relief.

P.S. The happy ending: I found an absolutely fantastic teacher who is challenging me like never before! He is a delight to work with and, yes, he was recommended by some adult friends of mine.

Best regards,

Deborah
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
As Gooddog illustrates quite clearly, it's not whether a teacher says s/he likes teaching adults, but how they conduct the lesson and how they treat their adult students, that matters. You might ask teachers how many other adult students they currently have, and what levels those adults are at. This will give you an idea at least of whether the teacher has experience teaching adults. And then you probably need to ask for a trial lesson, or pay for, say, a month's worth of lessons without committing to a longer term. It's hard to evaluate a teacher without being taught by him/her.

Good luck, the payoff for finding a good teacher is more than worth the time and effort it takes!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Deborah made a lot of great suggestions based on her experience.

I found a neat community school near my workplace. I talked to the owner (who I have been getting to know through various work related projects). I told her about my needs, and that I needed to have an instructor who is comfortable and understands working with adults.

I am not be able to do weekly lessons because I need more time in between sessions to be able to get enough practice time in. I was impressed with how carefully the school owner listened to me, and introduced me to one of her teachers she thought would be a good match. She gave me a free 30-minute introductory session. That was great because I got meet my teacher and ask questions, and I got a feel for what his overall style was like.

The school was quite flexible in letting me work out a "schedule lessons as needed" approach rather than a rigid lesson schedule that will be impossible for me to keep.

This also brings up another matter you might think about. Be clear with yourself about what you want for yourself and communicate that to the teacher.

Good luck with finding a new teacher!

Carl

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Guess I'll just have to be asking around. I was kind of hoping that there would be a "database" of qualified teachers that could be searched by location or proximity.
I probably work on computers too much...

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Ah yes, it would be nice if there was a database of piano teachers that we could simply consult. Well, actually, sometimes there are. But sometimes, the best teachers are not listed on them. My city has a registry of piano teachers, my piano teacher is not on there. I have never asked why, but I suspect it's because she can't really take on too many more students. If I had limited my search to that data base, I would never have found her.

Anyway, I am sure you will be able to find someone, please let us know how it goes when you do!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by 555keys
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Guess I'll just have to be asking around. I was kind of hoping that there would be a "database" of qualified teachers that could be searched by location or proximity.
I probably work on computers too much...
If you do find such a database (and they do exist, sporadically at least), you can assume that it's poorly maintained or even unmaintained.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
FWIW, you could try this:

http://www.mtnacertification.org/

Plug in the area, instrument, and zip in the left column and see what it turns up for you.

YMMV (of course).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you want the best teacher, search for a young professional who started as an adult. Just ask who her or his teacher was. smile

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by gooddog

She expected me to follow her rigid youth-oriented syllabus which included among other things, keeping track of my practice time, competing in her trill speed contest,

OMG! eek Was that a 'trill speed contest'? Now I've heard it all...

Wouldn't let that teacher near any of my kids either.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

She expected me to follow her rigid youth-oriented syllabus which included among other things, keeping track of my practice time, competing in her trill speed contest,

Yes, there also were scale and arpeggio contests which she had proudly posted on her wall. sick

Best regards,

Deborah

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

Yes, there also were scale and arpeggio contests which she had proudly posted on her wall. sick

How trilling for you! yawn

Last edited by griffin2417; 07/01/11 11:01 AM. Reason: I misspelled my lousy pun

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
... competing in her trill speed contest..

Holy carp! shocked
I've never heard of such a thing.
I would have been out of there in a second once I heard that and that they insisted on treating you like a adolescent.
It was tough enough being an adolescent once and having to deal with idiotic adults so there's no way I would want to go through that again.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, she was pretty horrendous. I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt so I hung on for 10 miserable months. Two things finally pushed me to leave her. First, she invited me to participate in a master class, then changed her mind, (only school aged students would participate), then changed it again and then again. Also she denied me the opportunity to study a piece I was passionate to learn because another student was working on it. I won't share her name publically, but if anyone wants to avoid her and is in the Kirkland, Washington area, send me a PM.

Again, I don't want to sound only negative. I did find a truly marvelous teacher.

Best regards,

Deborah
S
OP Offline
S
I only hope that it's not necessary to go through too many teachers like that to find a good one. Not into trill contests.
I've found several names on the nmta site. I'll have to narrow the list down & start interviewing.
I also called a piano dealer in town but the referral was not a good match. She enjoys teaching beginners. I'm at the intermediate to advanced level.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
gooddog, your post about not being permitted to join the master class illustrates the thing I would be most looking for in a teacher for adults, which is that they should afford me the same opportunities, and push me technically at least as hard, as they push their kid students.

At the same time of course as adapting their teaching for the different cognitive and motivational nature of an adult vs. a kid, possible musical background, and so on.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You also need someone who understands that adults have adult responsibilities and it is not always possible to practice as much as you'd like to.

Best regards,

Deborah
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission