Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1705340 - 07/01/11 12:01 AM Which scale includes all 5 black keys
saurabh Offline

Loc: India
Can anyone please tell me which scale covers all 5 black keys?

thanks in advance

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1705347 - 07/01/11 12:23 AM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: saurabh]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
B maj, C# maj (Db maj)and Gb maj (F#maj) to name a few.

#1705353 - 07/01/11 12:34 AM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: saurabh]
AllShookUp Offline

Loc: Pike County, PA
That's a very interesting question, but why do you ask? There are more musical scales than religions.

#1705368 - 07/01/11 01:13 AM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: saurabh]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

b major

#1705551 - 07/01/11 11:41 AM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: saurabh]
ukbuk Offline

Loc: UK
Since I like to be a clever arse now and then, D#/Eb minor pentatonic uses ONLY the black keys (no white keys at all). smile

#1705618 - 07/01/11 01:27 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: AllShookUp]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: AllShookUp
There are more musical scales than religions.

This is the most clever answer smile

Any combination of notes can be called a scale and many are not "officially" named.

However, among major scales, F#(Gb), B(Cb), C#(Db) (and all other enharmonic variations) are generally known to use all the black keys.

#1705833 - 07/01/11 07:02 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: saurabh]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
Jazzwee, by enharmonic variations, do you mean only the relative minor scales of the major scales concerned*, or are there other enharmonic variations?

*For the record, the relative minor scales of the B, Gb/F# and Db/C# major scales, are Ab/G# (minor), Eb/D# (minor) and Bb/A# (minor), respectively. Hope I got this right!

Edited by Pianotehead (07/01/11 07:02 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

#1705845 - 07/01/11 07:26 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: saurabh]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

LOL - Pianonotehead, yes relative minors are certainly in there but I said 'Major Scales' to avoid that.

I'm sure someone will prove how smart they are by pointing out also the enharmonic double flats and double sharps...:)

#1705885 - 07/01/11 08:40 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: saurabh]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I wasn't trying to prove how smart I am, I thought everybody knew that. ha I was just curious*, because of this elegant phrase of yours, enharmonic variations, if there were other such variations than the relative minor scales of major ones.

So the question still is: what are the other enharmonic variations, I mean of the major scales to be exact, and prevent any (major) misunderstanding.

Edited by Pianotehead (07/01/11 08:40 PM)

#1705910 - 07/01/11 09:35 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: saurabh]
Michael Steen Offline

Loc: Sciota, Pennsylvania
BTW, when I first learned to play the B major scale, I couldn't BELIEVE how easy it was compared to the C major scale! I had been afraid, initially, of the black keys, but that cured me.

I mean I know that it all begins with middle C on the circle of 5ths, but if you want to scare the beginning student, start him on the C major scale. If you want to show him that scales are nothing to be afraid of, start him on the B major.

#1705961 - 07/01/11 11:14 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: TheodorN]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pianotehead
I wasn't trying to prove how smart I am, I thought everybody knew that. ha I was just curious*, because of this elegant phrase of yours, enharmonic variations, if there were other such variations than the relative minor scales of major ones.

So the question still is: what are the other enharmonic variations, I mean of the major scales to be exact, and prevent any (major) misunderstanding.

I didn't mean you Pianonotehead smile . I meant keys like double sharps and double flats like I stated. Dbb, B##, and such rarely encountered nonsense.

#1705979 - 07/01/11 11:49 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: saurabh]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No problem, however I've seen those double flats/sharps on scores, never played from such a sheet though.

Don't understand it, seems a bit far fetched to raise or lower a note more than once. Can I expect to see a middle C in sheet music for some advanced piece, and I'll actually be playing it far down the bass, because of a huge number of flat signs? laugh

All joking aside, I probably shouldn't be worrying about this, I'm up to my knees trying to keep time in simple rhytms, consisting of nothing but quarter and eight notes,plus a few dotted ones.

#1706412 - 07/02/11 09:57 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: saurabh]
Frito Offline

Loc: Eastern US
I have heard that Irving Berlin played only in the key of F#! He enjoyed playing primarily on the black keys. His piano had a lever that moved the strings in relation to the hammer, so that he could play in other keys while keeping the same fingerings for the key of F#.

#1706420 - 07/02/11 10:08 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: Frito]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Frito
I have heard that Irving Berlin played only in the key of F#! He enjoyed playing primarily on the black keys. His piano had a lever that moved the strings in relation to the hammer, so that he could play in other keys while keeping the same fingerings for the key of F#.

One of his transposing pianos is on display at the National Museum of American Jewish History in Philly.

Supposedly he said that the key of C was for those who "study music"!

Kawai K3

#1706427 - 07/02/11 10:27 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: saurabh]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Although my “by-ear” favorite keys are F major, C major, and G major (in that order) I too am learning to appreciate and play in the black key scales.

F# is particularly nice. I also like Bb because the lowest Bb in the bass sounds really nice. I also like Eb. A lot of gospel songs and church hymns are in Eb and Ab.

Someone here once mentioned a formula for easily identifying the key signature in most written music, but it escapes me at the moment… lots of very smart folks of the PW forums.

Rick

#1706441 - 07/02/11 10:54 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: Rickster]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Major keys:

Sharps, move a half step up from the last #, that's the key. E.g. Sharps F#, C#, G#, D#. Last sharp is D#. Move a half step up: key is E major.

Flats, the next to last flat is the key. E.g. Flats Bb, Eb, Ab, Db. Next to last flat is Ab: key of Ab major. Memorize one flat (Bb): key of F major.

Minor keys:

work out the major key, then count three half steps down for the Minor key. E.g. Sharps F#, C#, G#, D#, A#. If it were major, would be B major. If it's minor, count down A#, A, G#. Key of G# minor.

#1706445 - 07/02/11 11:12 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: saurabh]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Double sharps and double flats are to preserve the correct spelling of chords.

The basic rule is that in a root position triad or seventh chord, the letters (ignoring sharps and flats) skip a letter each time. For example, Cdim7 is C, Eb, Gb, Bbb (that's for the fully diminished C chord). And Baug is B, D#, F##.

#1706551 - 07/03/11 09:05 AM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: Andy Platt]
Frito Offline

Loc: Eastern US
[quote=Andy Platt One of his transposing pianos is on display at the National Museum of American Jewish History in Philly.

Supposedly he said that the key of C was for those who "study music"! [/quote]Iwonder if any of these "transposing pianos" are still available in a rebuilt state. Might be really great for playing popular music. Reminds me of using a capo on a guitar.

#1706755 - 07/03/11 05:21 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: Frito]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
Originally Posted By: Frito
[quote=Andy Platt One of his transposing pianos is on display at the National Museum of American Jewish History in Philly.

Supposedly he said that the key of C was for those who "study music"!
Iwonder if any of these "transposing pianos" are still available in a rebuilt state. Might be really great for playing popular music. Reminds me of using a capo on a guitar. [/quote]

On the west coast of Canada they're still available, but quite rare. Very interesting instruments because they also have extra keys at the bottom like a Bosendorfer, or at least the ones I saw have this.

#1706880 - 07/03/11 09:55 PM Re: Which scale includes all 5 black keys [Re: saurabh]
John_In_Montreal Offline

Loc: Montreal Canada
There is also one of the pentatonic scales... try it from F# smile

John

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (36251, accordeur, Al LaPorte, Alux, 36 invisible), 1549 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75334 Members
42 Forums
155758 Topics
2286836 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tone effects in Roland DP90se
by lunobili
07/09/14 09:38 PM
Keyboard Memory/Keyboard Visualization
by attaboy
07/09/14 09:14 PM
Cleaning whippen springs
by woodog
07/09/14 09:04 PM
New ES 100 Problem
by MLFLY
07/09/14 09:00 PM
What's function of vertical back-check
by Weiyan
07/09/14 08:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission