2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
saurabh Offline OP
OP Offline
Can anyone please tell me which scale covers all 5 black keys?

thanks in advance

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B maj, C# maj (Db maj)and Gb maj (F#maj) to name a few.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

A
A
That's a very interesting question, but why do you ask? There are more musical scales than religions.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
b major

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
U
U
Since I like to be a clever arse now and then, D#/Eb minor pentatonic uses ONLY the black keys (no white keys at all). smile

Restarted piano in September 2010 after previous misguided attempts to learn without a teacher.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AllShookUp
There are more musical scales than religions.

This is the most clever answer smile

Any combination of notes can be called a scale and many are not "officially" named.

However, among major scales, F#(Gb), B(Cb), C#(Db) (and all other enharmonic variations) are generally known to use all the black keys.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Jazzwee, by enharmonic variations, do you mean only the relative minor scales of the major scales concerned*, or are there other enharmonic variations?

*For the record, the relative minor scales of the B, Gb/F# and Db/C# major scales, are Ab/G# (minor), Eb/D# (minor) and Bb/A# (minor), respectively. Hope I got this right!

Last edited by Pianotehead; 07/01/11 07:02 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
LOL - Pianonotehead, yes relative minors are certainly in there but I said 'Major Scales' to avoid that.

I'm sure someone will prove how smart they are by pointing out also the enharmonic double flats and double sharps...:)

My Jazz Blog

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I wasn't trying to prove how smart I am, I thought everybody knew that. ha I was just curious*, because of this elegant phrase of yours, enharmonic variations, if there were other such variations than the relative minor scales of major ones.

So the question still is: what are the other enharmonic variations, I mean of the major scales to be exact, and prevent any (major) misunderstanding.

Last edited by Pianotehead; 07/01/11 08:40 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
M
M
BTW, when I first learned to play the B major scale, I couldn't BELIEVE how easy it was compared to the C major scale! I had been afraid, initially, of the black keys, but that cured me.

I mean I know that it all begins with middle C on the circle of 5ths, but if you want to scare the beginning student, start him on the C major scale. If you want to show him that scales are nothing to be afraid of, start him on the B major.

I'm getting there--note by note.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianotehead
I wasn't trying to prove how smart I am, I thought everybody knew that. ha I was just curious*, because of this elegant phrase of yours, enharmonic variations, if there were other such variations than the relative minor scales of major ones.

So the question still is: what are the other enharmonic variations, I mean of the major scales to be exact, and prevent any (major) misunderstanding.

I didn't mean you Pianonotehead smile . I meant keys like double sharps and double flats like I stated. Dbb, B##, and such rarely encountered nonsense.

My Jazz Blog

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
No problem, however I've seen those double flats/sharps on scores, never played from such a sheet though.

Don't understand it, seems a bit far fetched to raise or lower a note more than once. Can I expect to see a middle C in sheet music for some advanced piece, and I'll actually be playing it far down the bass, because of a huge number of flat signs? laugh

All joking aside, I probably shouldn't be worrying about this, I'm up to my knees trying to keep time in simple rhytms, consisting of nothing but quarter and eight notes,plus a few dotted ones.

Me on YouTube

I have heard that Irving Berlin played only in the key of F#! He enjoyed playing primarily on the black keys. His piano had a lever that moved the strings in relation to the hammer, so that he could play in other keys while keeping the same fingerings for the key of F#.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Frito
I have heard that Irving Berlin played only in the key of F#! He enjoyed playing primarily on the black keys. His piano had a lever that moved the strings in relation to the hammer, so that he could play in other keys while keeping the same fingerings for the key of F#.

One of his transposing pianos is on display at the National Museum of American Jewish History in Philly.

Supposedly he said that the key of C was for those who "study music"!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Although my “by-ear” favorite keys are F major, C major, and G major (in that order) I too am learning to appreciate and play in the black key scales.

F# is particularly nice. I also like Bb because the lowest Bb in the bass sounds really nice. I also like Eb. A lot of gospel songs and church hymns are in Eb and Ab.

Someone here once mentioned a formula for easily identifying the key signature in most written music, but it escapes me at the moment… lots of very smart folks of the PW forums.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Major keys:

Sharps, move a half step up from the last #, that's the key. E.g. Sharps F#, C#, G#, D#. Last sharp is D#. Move a half step up: key is E major.

Flats, the next to last flat is the key. E.g. Flats Bb, Eb, Ab, Db. Next to last flat is Ab: key of Ab major. Memorize one flat (Bb): key of F major.

Minor keys:

work out the major key, then count three half steps down for the Minor key. E.g. Sharps F#, C#, G#, D#, A#. If it were major, would be B major. If it's minor, count down A#, A, G#. Key of G# minor.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Double sharps and double flats are to preserve the correct spelling of chords.

The basic rule is that in a root position triad or seventh chord, the letters (ignoring sharps and flats) skip a letter each time. For example, Cdim7 is C, Eb, Gb, Bbb (that's for the fully diminished C chord). And Baug is B, D#, F##.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
[quote=Andy Platt One of his transposing pianos is on display at the National Museum of American Jewish History in Philly.

Supposedly he said that the key of C was for those who "study music"! [/quote]Iwonder if any of these "transposing pianos" are still available in a rebuilt state. Might be really great for playing popular music. Reminds me of using a capo on a guitar.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frito
[quote=Andy Platt One of his transposing pianos is on display at the National Museum of American Jewish History in Philly.

Supposedly he said that the key of C was for those who "study music"!
Iwonder if any of these "transposing pianos" are still available in a rebuilt state. Might be really great for playing popular music. Reminds me of using a capo on a guitar. [/quote]

On the west coast of Canada they're still available, but quite rare. Very interesting instruments because they also have extra keys at the bottom like a Bosendorfer, or at least the ones I saw have this.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

J
J
There is also one of the pentatonic scales... try it from F# smile

John

"My piano is therapy for me" - Rick Wright.
Instrument: Rebuilt Kurzweil K2500XS and a bunch of great vintage virtual keyboards. New Kurzweil PC3X.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission