Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1718249 - 07/21/11 06:27 PM Re: Did you ever drop student b/c of parent? [Re: chasingrainbows]
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
pianodad, oops, I directed my reply for you to Gary my mistake. sorry, no offense taken. Gary, ignore my last post. Time to sign off.............

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1718379 - 07/21/11 11:08 PM Re: Did you ever drop student b/c of parent? [Re: chasingrainbows]
music32 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Berkeley, California
What you say is right on target..There are some rude awakenings associated with being a piano teacher.. while there are high points...the hope is to keep the balance in the right direction.

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7

NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and upright
Haddorff console
MTAC Alameda

#1718467 - 07/22/11 02:29 AM Re: Did you ever drop student b/c of parent? [Re: Gary D.]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Gary D.
Hey, let's say you are venting a little.

We all do it sometimes.

I think we need to do it more often! It's healthy to vent.

Just today I gave my worst student quite a lecture! I was sick of seeing the same problems, done week after week, with absolutely NO SIGN of improvement.

Then I carried that "teacher mode" over to the next two students, and gave them my "death stare." I was not nice at all, and I picked on even the smallest problems, and I dished out zero praise.

All three lessons were the post productive in months!!!

Note to self: occasional brutal honesty can be quite effective.

#1718476 - 07/22/11 03:06 AM Re: Did you ever drop student b/c of parent? [Re: AZNpiano]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
I've mellowed. smile

When I was in my 20s I was much tougher. Two of my former students (both in their 40s now!!!) have joked with me recently about times I sent them home, one time each, for not practicing.

On both occasions I told them: "Come back next week when you have practiced."

And both told me they are very glad I did it. It taught them a lesson.

But these days I *try* to make my points more subtly. Two days ago, I think, a six year-old told me that he didn't want to do what I told him to do first. All my students use a keyboard chart, mine, and they have to play through one piece without it, saying every note name. It is my way of testing to make sure that they are absorbing the note names. I tell them that the chart is "training wheels" and we have to get rid of those "training wheels" as soon as possible.

So while I am working ahead, with the chart, I review every page, one by one, from the beginning, with OUT the chart and with counting. I then push to "catch up" to the front of the book, which I am creating in each lesson with my own materials, until all old pages have been covered, note reading is solid, counting is solid.

So when the six year-old said he didn't want to do the page with the notes, as I asked him to, and his mother (part of the lesson) said she hasn't been doing it because he "resists", I told him:

"You don't have to do the notes if you don't want to. But you will have to work with another teacher."

I smiled. But I was totally serious!

Some things are not negotiable. Some things CAN'T be negotiable, and if we don't hold our ground now, we don't have a chance of teaching in a productive way, ever. smile

#1718842 - 07/22/11 04:59 PM Re: Did you ever drop student b/c of parent? [Re: chasingrainbows]
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Gary, that is a wonderful way to handle situations like that - and we've all been in them. I have young ones who tell me they don't want to do something (even as simple as keeping both hands on the piano, or not hanging thumbs under the piano!) as often as not. Usually I explain why they should do a particular instruction, but if they continue to resist, I will use your response.

I know a local (extremely booked) teacher who tells her students "don't come back until you've fixed that measure."

#1718845 - 07/22/11 05:03 PM Re: Did you ever drop student b/c of parent? [Re: AZNpiano]
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Originally Posted By: Gary D.
Hey, let's say you are venting a little.

We all do it sometimes.

I think we need to do it more often! It's healthy to vent.

Just today I gave my worst student quite a lecture! I was sick of seeing the same problems, done week after week, with absolutely NO SIGN of improvement.

Then I carried that "teacher mode" over to the next two students, and gave them my "death stare." I was not nice at all, and I picked on even the smallest problems, and I dished out zero praise.

All three lessons were the post productive in months!!!

Note to self: occasional brutal honesty can be quite effective.

Yes, sometimes I drop the nice, easygoing, positive teacher mode and show some "tough love." Particularly annoying is when students play while I am talking. After nicely asking a 12 year old to please not play the piano while I'm talking, I finally went into teacher mode. He didn't do that again. smile

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (AimeeO, a-z0-9, AmateurBob, 29 invisible), 1497 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156143 Topics
2293026 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
Yesterday at 06:09 PM
Guidance for Publishing
by Dachshund
Yesterday at 06:02 PM
Keith Emerson Playing NY in October!
by Piano World
Yesterday at 05:52 PM
Action parts any different from 80s,90s, 2k Charles Walter?
by Gatsbee13
Yesterday at 04:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission