2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
sophial Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Will it damage a piano to tune it frequently, for example, once a month? Does that wear out the pinblock faster? or have any other negative effects?
Thanks!

Sophia

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Nope! Provided a qualified tech is doing the work, not at all.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
I have dozens of pianos that were tuned several times a week for years in recording studios. The stage pianos at Vanderbilt are tuned dozen of times a year. I never noticed any faster loss of tension than the home pianos I service once a year.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wonder if it could damage the technician's wallet, though. wink Those things, from what I understand, can only take being opened (for putting money in) so many times before they eventually wear through or fall apart and need to be replaced (which could take quite the bite out of the tech's bottom line - my condolences to those who (especially because of the economy) have to take out hundred-year mortgages just to pay the interest for one month on the wallet purchase :P ) . I'm not using the first wallet I've ever had... and considering I probably open it as much in a year as some busy RPTs open theirs in a day, I would expect theirs to wear out faster. laugh

BTW... what pianos are so unstable that they need a major tuning (possibly even a quad-pass pitch raise, the first couple of which may be chip tunings without any external pitch reference) every few weeks? Toward the other end of the spectrum, I've heard pianos that hadn't been tuned for several years, yet were extremely close (except for the occasional isolated beating unison - for one example a 1959 Hamilton I played some Sundays for several years always had the Bb3 & Eb4 unisons the same amount out of tune over that time frame, and others I've seen were almost spot-on A-440 in spite of not having been tuned for several years.)

Last edited by 88Key_PianoPlayer; 07/01/11 10:58 PM.

1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
S
S
I have concert grands that I tune at least 12 times per year. no problem.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by 88Key_PianoPlayer

BTW... what pianos are so unstable that they need a major tuning (possibly even a quad-pass pitch raise, the first couple of which may be chip tunings without any external pitch reference) every few weeks?

Institution pianos in recital halls, which may be subjected to five recitals in a single day during peak season, especially if two pianos are to be played together (such as in piano concertos or four-hand works). In such instances, once or twice a week, minimum.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by sophial
Will it damage a piano to tune it frequently, for example, once a month? Does that wear out the pinblock faster? or have any other negative effects?
An incompetent person can ruin your piano in one try. But assuming you have a responsible and skilled person doing the work, no, there would be no harm.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

Yes, this can definitely shorten the piano’s life. You run the very real risk of keeping the piano sounding so good that it invites much more frequent playing. Playing the piano frequently and for long periods of time can cause the action parts to wear and can cause the action to go out of regulation. In terms of piano life expectancy you’re far better off tuning it once every twenty years or so. That way it will sound good for just a few months and for the next nineteen odd years the piano will sound so bad no one will want to play it and the action parts won’t wear out nearly as fast.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
As long as your tuner does five minutes action maintenance per tuning (just nipping issues in the bud as they arise) there shouldn't ever be a problem. Loose centres left unchecked in your scale area from lots of heavy hitting by certain tuners can become a real nuisance quickly. Make sure your tuner has their eye on everything!

delacey-simms
piano tuner, technician and enthusiast.
All my comments are posted with the utmost respect to the other technicians
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
LOl Del! laugh

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
sophial Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Del

Yes, this can definitely shorten the piano’s life. You run the very real risk of keeping the piano sounding so good that it invites much more frequent playing. Playing the piano frequently and for long periods of time can cause the action parts to wear and can cause the action to go out of regulation. In terms of piano life expectancy you’re far better off tuning it once every twenty years or so. That way it will sound good for just a few months and for the next nineteen odd years the piano will sound so bad no one will want to play it and the action parts won’t wear out nearly as fast.

ddf

Ha, thanks, Del and everyone else who responded. My piano holds tune quite well but I was curious about this, especially wear on the pinblock. Thanks very much!

Last edited by sophial; 07/02/11 12:33 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Very funny Del!

This is one of those piano myths that I hear people say from time to time. In fact, a person told me once, that she had been told by a teacher that a piano could only be tuned a certain amount of times (I think it was around a dozen).

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by rysowers
... she had been told by a teacher that a piano could only be tuned a certain amount of times (I think it was around a dozen).
If a piano had badly rusted strings, it wouldn't last very many tunings. Maybe the person giving the advice lived on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean. smile

(I'm a piano teacher.)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Rust doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as you might think! I have tuned some pianos with very rusty strings without breakage, and I have tuned pianos with no rust that wanted to break strings. I believe it has a lot more to do with the stringing scale, and what percentage of breaking strength the wires are at when the piano is at standard pitch.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
[/quote]An incompetent person can ruin your piano in one try. But assuming you have a responsible and skilled person doing the work, no, there would be no harm.[/quote]

Can you please elaborate on this? How would an incompetent person ruin a piano in one try?

Obviously, if they just crank mindlessly on all the pins and break all the strings, that would be bad. Short of that, how do you see total ruin coming to a piano in this way?

Steve W
Omaha, NE
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I think what was meant was that an un-skilled tuner can ruin a good firm tuning in one go - not ruin that piano ...
Whenever I take on a new concert venue, I always insist that they only ever use me, or if I'm not able, then always let me arrange for another tuner .... A tuner that I am sure is capable of doing a professional job. I can then be sure that whenever I turn up to tune that particular instrument, it will only need the smallest of adjustment,and remain in tune throughout the concert. Get a bad tuner, and it's like having to start all over again to get the instrument stable enough to keep in tune under "concert performance" conditions.

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
C
C
I tune one piano, a Yamaha C7 either two or three times every month and another C7 I tune once a month. Personally, I believe the more tunings the better.

Chuck Littau, Kansas City Piano Tuner
Serving greater Kansas City since 1984
KansasCityPianoTuning.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
An incompetent person can ruin your piano in one try. But assuming you have a responsible and skilled person doing the work, no, there would be no harm.

It is generally thought that too much "flag-poling" of the tuning pin is hard on the pinblock, especially if done in the direction the string is pulling the pin. Also, tuners do bend pins sometimes. This is most noticeable when de-stringing a piano.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
Originally Posted by rysowers

It is generally thought that too much "flag-poling" of the tuning pin is hard on the pinblock, especially if done in the direction the string is pulling the pin. Also, tuners do bend pins sometimes. This is most noticeable when de-stringing a piano.

That makes sense - enlarging or "ovaling" the holes in the pinblock, or bending pin, would be bad. Sounds like routine rotational movements of the pin, as would be done by a decent tuner, are not considered to cause excessive wear on the pinblock?

How about overstretching the strings? Does that ever happen with a newbie tuner who will naturally make much larger movements of hammer and pin than an experienced tuner?

Steve W
Omaha, NE
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The more frequently a skilled tuner tunes a piano inversely relates to how much less we adjust each pin. The actual amount we adjust (rotational) is very small once the piano is pulled up to tension; often its just a small nudge on the lever clockwise and then a touch back to settle things.

Techs that change out pins will notice that if you remove a tight pin, blow out the hole and replace the same pin, it will be slightly looser in fit. The surface of the pin from machining the threads is similar to very fine sandpaper. This is an image of a finely machined surface using microscopy...

[Linked Image]

If you were to rotate a pin back and forth 180 degrees the same number of times to mimick removing it, the fine dust created from the abrasive contact remains in place and the interference fit (and torque numbers) between the pin and the block remains relatively the same. The fine dust acts as a buffer to the abrasive texture of the pin if its left in place.

In college we had about 10 well used pianos in the tuning rooms that were tuned on every day by learning students. At the end of 2 years I didn't notice any deterioration on them that was noticable.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission