Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1706345 - 07/02/11 07:09 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
You are trying to get me to offer to stick your false nails on and paint them for your aren't you?
Next it will be Halibut at dawn.
Then you will want a go on my excellent Piano that is not a Steinway.
Okay,
If it will make you happy, I will do these small things, but you have to explain why you chose little blue engine as a username.
If it is because Like Kiroshuro you are actually Blue with cold, thats Okay, I have some fingerless gloves left over from an unwanted gift.
If it is because you swear a lot (blue) then thats okay, all my family do.
If It's "little" like a dwarf thats cool.
And if its engine because underneath your verticly challenged blue exterior you are a real powerhouse fulll of engine like energy, thats ok too,
come on earn your halibut, dont be shy, explain.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1706394 - 07/02/11 09:11 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
お待たせしました!

Before:

After:

I couldn't decide which color to get, so I got two colors. I think the purple (left hand) shows up in the close up photo here pretty close to its real color, but the pink (right hand) is pinker in real life than it looks in the photos. Still it's a pretty subtle color.

Now the moment of truth! Piano practice time!!
grin

Edited by ShiroKuro (07/02/11 09:12 PM)

#1706401 - 07/02/11 09:40 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: Rostosky]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
You are trying to get me to offer to stick your false nails on and paint them for your aren't you?
Next it will be Halibut at dawn.
Then you will want a go on my excellent Piano that is not a Steinway.
Okay,
If it will make you happy, I will do these small things, but you have to explain why you chose little blue engine as a username.
If it is because Like Kiroshuro you are actually Blue with cold, thats Okay, I have some fingerless gloves left over from an unwanted gift.
If it is because you swear a lot (blue) then thats okay, all my family do.
If It's "little" like a dwarf thats cool.
And if its engine because underneath your verticly challenged blue exterior you are a real powerhouse fulll of engine like energy, thats ok too,
come on earn your halibut, dont be shy, explain.

Because "I think I can"...everyone within earshot may think differently... wink

#1706447 - 07/02/11 11:21 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hmmm, just got done practicing and playing... When I played pieces that I don't play from the score, I found myself looking at my hands (mostly purple nail hand) a lot and it was distracting at first, mainly because I thought it looked very pretty, and like someone else's hand! grin I was also thinking that black would actually look really great with the piano keyboard!

But after playing a bit longer, I mostly got used to it. The pink is hardly noticeable at all.

So this has been a fun experiment. Now I am going to be still with purple on left and pink on right. I have a feeling it's going to stay that way for a bit...

BTW, two colors of polish, a quick dry top coat and remover came to $20. Probably a bit on the expensive side, assuming that I will probably not be a daily polish-wearer... maybe not though, I really like it.

#1706450 - 07/02/11 11:27 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Okay, so I'm pretty sure that was "the heart asks pleasure first" sheet music in all the 'after' shots, but what was the piece in the 'before' shot?

--Monica, who decided that life's too short to polish nails. whome

#1706469 - 07/03/11 12:19 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Monica, great eye!! The "after" pics are indeed THAPF, which I currently have on my list of almost-ready-to-record pieces. (that almost bit lasts forever!!!)

But the "before" picture, which was actually taken last November (I can't remember why I took it even) is the score for Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, by Ryuichi Sakamoto (I recorded his "Energy Flow" for an ABF recital a while back). I have been wanted to play this piece for a while now, and I guess it was in my practice menu when I took that photo, but it slipped off my practice menu pretty quickly and I still don't have it in my fingers. Here is the original, if you'd like to take a listen. smile

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, by Ryuichi Sakamoto

#1706477 - 07/03/11 12:47 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
I really like the purple!

#1706496 - 07/03/11 01:37 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for sharing the photos. Piano eyecandy ha

#1706507 - 07/03/11 03:51 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Very pretty Shirokuro!
I like the darker shade too, but take your word that the pink is more obvious "live" thank in the photo.
I like pinks but they have to be fairly "robust" pink.

I'm very tempted to play with some nail polish this week...........

#1706521 - 07/03/11 05:55 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: ShiroKuro

BTW, two colors of polish, a quick dry top coat and remover came to $20. Probably a bit on the expensive side, assuming that I will probably not be a daily polish-wearer... maybe not though, I really like it.

It might be a tad expensive for "do it yourself" but my wife pays $60 at a local spa to get pampered with a manicure & pedicure and all 20 nails polished (matching color) - I'm sure you could easily pay more in "the big city" or at a resort location - I usually have to open cans and bottles for her for a few days afterwards since she's afraid she's going to scratch or chip the polish (at other times her excuse for asking me to do so is that she's just not strong enough) - I keep mine as short as possible to keep out the dirt that would lodge there from all the gardening/landscaping I do - when I used to play classical guitar my right one's were always longer and filed constantly and strengthened by eating gelatin.

What concerns me most here though is that I'm posting serious comments in a thread about polishing one's nails...

Trap

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1706606 - 07/03/11 11:29 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The purple looks excellent, it will definately help you improve faster on the Piano. The pink is too sedate and doesn't compliment your complextion as well.
Have you done your toes yet?
I would, if you did them in day glow or luminescent colours you would be able to pedel the piano in the dark.

You could even do them in UV colours and then play under a UV light .

Do you like Halibut?

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1706635 - 07/03/11 12:56 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: Rostosky]
Sly Cat Offline

Loc: England - via Scotland
Recardo, how totally sexist of you I am surprised.
I started painting my nails many moons ago to hide the dirt underneath them.
I was lucky , I worked respraying cars, in the days of good old cellulose paint, so had access to many good colours, Ideal for nails.
I progressed to ladies clothes just for special occasions, and then for piano playing as I feel that victorian replica corsets are excellent for posture.
I must warn you though they dont come cheap and have to be hand made.
Shoes are difficult, Heels are best, but one simply has to learn how to swivel them correctly on the pointed heel for best use of the Piano pedels.
I prefer a shorter skirt, I can get away with it as my legs have good form, and they allow more ease of movement on the Piano stool.
Theres just so much more choice in ladies attire athan mens don't you think? And of course better colours.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I SO want to see a picture of this.

And NOT some "nabbed off the web" one either - Mr R in the above outfit. No substitutes accepted.

Oh yes... cool

Rap is to music what Etch-a-Sketch is to art.

#1706645 - 07/03/11 01:14 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I really like the pink. But then, I used to wear baby blue, so maybe pastels are my thing in nail polish. Very pretty.

Cathy

#1706648 - 07/03/11 01:22 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

SlyCAt, this will cost you.
You must offer me some sort of incentive.
Have you got any pics to "trade"

No Euros either way.
( I am not racist against the Greeks, its just when I was kid, I was told by my parents, "If you borrow money and you dont pay it back, you will not be allowed to borrow any more" This law apparently does not apply to Greeks.)

Edited by Rostosky (07/03/11 01:23 PM)
Edit Reason: Forgot to mention that I will probably not let this trading with SLYCAT drop. Probably.

#1706666 - 07/03/11 01:48 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
I think the purple suits you best ShiroKuro.

I hope the trade is going to be public, and not private exchanges!

#1706675 - 07/03/11 02:03 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: Rostosky]
Sly Cat Offline

Oh, come on. People don't go to watch a film based only on hearsay, do they? Nah, there's always a trailer first. Coming attractions and such.

So, let's have a sneak preview and maybe...just maybe...I'll exchange some sea-side pics (taken when I was five years old and wrapped head to foot in a towel, but never mind.)

Sounds fairly reasonable to me. grin

#1706687 - 07/03/11 02:28 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: Sly Cat]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Sly Cat

So, let's have a sneak preview

Sounds fair to me.
smile

#1706727 - 07/03/11 04:15 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Loc: Florida
I love the purple color. Great choice.

#1706780 - 07/03/11 06:14 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

No, you must not post on the internet pictures of children dressed in swimsuits. This is actually very bad and you didn't think it through properly. Gary Glitter did this, and now its uncool to sing "do you want to be in my gang" anymore.
Actually, it always was uncool to sing that song.

You must rethink your offer.

No euros either way.

#1706804 - 07/03/11 07:05 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Come on Rostosky, hope that's not a cop out!

#1706807 - 07/03/11 07:12 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

No just saying.
I will go and hunt some pics off my camera.

#1706814 - 07/03/11 07:23 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: Sly Cat]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sly Cat
Recardo, how totally sexist of you I am surprised.
I started painting my nails many moons ago to hide the dirt underneath them.
I was lucky , I worked respraying cars, in the days of good old cellulose paint, so had access to many good colours, Ideal for nails.
I progressed to ladies clothes just for special occasions, and then for piano playing as I feel that victorian replica corsets are excellent for posture.
I must warn you though they dont come cheap and have to be hand made.
Shoes are difficult, Heels are best, but one simply has to learn how to swivel them correctly on the pointed heel for best use of the Piano pedels.
I prefer a shorter skirt, I can get away with it as my legs have good form, and they allow more ease of movement on the Piano stool.
Theres just so much more choice in ladies attire athan mens don't you think? And of course better colours.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I SO want to see a picture of this.

And NOT some "nabbed off the web" one either - Mr R in the above outfit. No substitutes accepted.

Oh yes... cool

#1706816 - 07/03/11 07:30 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

OK OK OK.
This was taken before I had my tattoo, and yes, its a wig before you ask.

#1706828 - 07/03/11 08:08 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Very good! although, if the piano lid was open, would av bin so much better!

For the record, if you would 'av posted a genuine photo, I really would av bin pmsl, lol smile

#1706829 - 07/03/11 08:09 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: Rostosky]
Sly Cat Offline

(hides non-childhood picture trades)

Pfffft.

Cop out.

We were promised corsets and everything! And where's the gloves? Hmmmm?

Btw, just to stay on topic, I find that more subtle colours look better on shorter nails. But then, I don't wear corsets when playing the piano either. It interferes terribly with one's natural rhythm.

And no, you may not ask how I know that...

#1706990 - 07/04/11 02:40 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: Rostosky]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

OK OK OK.
This was taken before I had my tattoo, and yes, its a wig before you ask.

Quite seriously, I expected Rostosky to look something more like this photograph: . . . wink

#1707054 - 07/04/11 07:01 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

OMG , I am so sorry, I got the link wrong,
That was actually a photo of a friend of mine after they took delivery of their new red piano. Sorry folks.

Here is a photo of me when I had been very bad and had to be a cocktail waitress for the day for mrs. Rossy. ( seated in photo)
This should fullfill all of Slycats requirements.

It is not easy wearing or walking in ballet boots either, so I hope you are very gratefull.

Edited by Rostosky (07/04/11 07:02 AM)

#1707082 - 07/04/11 08:59 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm sad to see that a thread I started has degenerated into this. Ah well, that's what I get for an OT thread.

Some of youu might be interested to hear that I removed my nail polish yesterday morning (so it wasn't even on 24 hours!) the pinkwasnt done very well and OT really my style, although it was barely noticeable when playing. The purple, which I loved, was extremely distracting when playing, especially music that I know well, since I don't need to follow the score. So although I loved the way the purple looked, especially on the keyboard, it just was too distracting.

Conclusion: the fingers of a pianist are tools, not accessories.

Still, I think my $20 was well-spent. Now if I have an occasion to dress up or something, I will probably do my nails, and I have the polishes and remover to do so. For those of you who joined me on this journey, thank you. For those of you just here to watch Rostosky, carry on.

#1707120 - 07/04/11 10:38 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
Trishiedear Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, Maryland
Sorry to see the original OT thread become so OT. I've just discovered this topic and read most of it.

I'm in the "Life is too short to NOT paint my nails" group. I have an extensive collection of polish, and find it relaxing in the evening to change the color, once every week or two. Right now they are bright metalic green. My nails are very short, but that helps keep them from chipping. I don't find them distracting when I play, and I enjoy watching others play with bright polish. And I'm definately an adult. grin

#1707256 - 07/04/11 02:31 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Do you paint your nails? [Re: ShiroKuro]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Shirokuro, It's still totally on off topic.
For instance, as I am posting this I am filing my nails, in much the same way as a secretary does in the office whilst waiting for the telephone to ring.

I have really enjoyed coming on this journey with you too, it was good of you to say. Thank you, I hope we can go on many more journeys together.
In the UK we have a very long history of journeying, I read many books about it when I was little and was enthralled by great journeying heroic figures like say Sir Ernest Shackleton, who went on a similar journey to you. I was allways in Awe of Sir Ernest, A real leader of men, and vowed that one day I too would go on such a journey.

Sir Ernest realised the value of extreme "Off topic" humour, especially on prolonged polar expeditions, when things did not always go to plan.
This is where moral boosting Humour came into play, much like on your journey, where you may have just given up after one application of colour, had not folks encouraged you on, and pushed you to new limits of colour exploration.

I think it is important to not underestimate the value of sponsership in these journeys, Sir Ernest of course spent a lot of his sponsership money on teams of dogs, ponies, food, supplies and of course a sailing ship which didn't come cheap. Shackleton named his ship "Endurance" from his family motto which of course was "Fortitudine Vincimus—" (by endurance we conquer)

I feel this is quite fitting in relation to nail painting journeys, what with having to endure painting it on and then taking it off again to put more on.

Have you considered finding a sponser to help with costs?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
111 registered (Alux, ADWyatt, anotherscott, 30 invisible), 1396 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153566 Topics
2250627 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
2 minutes 15 seconds ago
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
Yesterday at 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission