Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1706649 - 07/03/11 01:22 PM Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9
Ozan Offline

Loc: Holland
Hi there,

I'm about to purchase a Digital Piano, but i tought i'd ask for some information from you guys first smile

I cant decide between the Kawai CA93, CS6 or 9 and the Yamaha Avantgrand N1.

The thing is, i'm from a small city in Holland and it is almost impossible to find a Kawai dealer, the one closest by is a 1 hour drive away and they dont have the CS9 (yet) for display, however you can purchase/reserve one online.
And ofcourse, when you purchase one online, you cant send it back after a month if your dissapointed about the DP, cause your officialy the owner then.

I have read good things about the Kawai DP's here on the boards, especialy about the touch, so my question is, is there a big difference between the N1 avantgrand and the Kawai CA93/CS9 touch wise.
The Kawai CA93 is about 3000 euro's, the N1 6000 euro's.
I belive the CS models are somewhere in the middle.

The N1 does have a build in acoustic grand keyboard action, and i mainly play classical music, like Beethoven and Chopin, so musical expressions like fortissimo, sforzando's and ppp are important to me.

However, i dont wanna end up paying 3000 euro's extra if both brands are able to deliver the same action, skill wise.

I do like the piano sound of the Kawai, at least what i heard from online video reviews, i self have played on a acoustic Yamaha U3 almost my entire life, so sound differences between the two is not realy a big deal for me.
Stuff like extra sounds and bells i am not interested in cause it mainly distracts a person anyways.

So, what do you folks think, has any of you been able to try out both the N1 and the Kawai CA/CS models side by side?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1706656 - 07/03/11 01:37 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
Ovidiu M Offline

Loc: Romania
Originally Posted By: Ozan
Hi there,

I'm about to purchase a Digital Piano, but i tought i'd ask for some information from you guys first smile

I cant decide between the Kawai CA93, CS6 or 9 and the Yamaha Avantgrand N1.

The thing is, i'm from a small city in Holland and it is almost impossible to find a Kawai dealer, the one closest by is a 1 hour drive away and they dont have the CS9 (yet) for display, however you can purchase/reserve one online.
And ofcourse, when you purchase one online, you cant send it back after a month if your dissapointed about the DP, cause your officialy the owner then.

I have read good things about the Kawai DP's here on the boards, especialy about the touch, so my question is, is there a big difference between the N1 avantgrand and the Kawai CA93/CS9 touch wise.
The Kawai CA93 is about 3000 euro's, the N1 6000 euro's.
I belive the CS models are somewhere in the middle.

The N1 does have a build in acoustic grand keyboard action, and i mainly play classical music, like Beethoven and Chopin, so musical expressions like fortissimo, sforzando's and ppp are important to me.

However, i dont wanna end up paying 3000 euro's extra if both brands are able to deliver the same action, skill wise.

I do like the piano sound of the Kawai, at least what i heard from online video reviews, i self have played on a acoustic Yamaha U3 almost my entire life, so sound differences between the two is not realy a big deal for me.
Stuff like extra sounds and bells i am not interested in cause it mainly distracts a person anyways.

So, what do you folks think, has any of you been able to try out both the N1 and the Kawai CA/CS models side by side?

If you're mainly focused on the classical side, than N1 is a no brainer. At 6000 euro it caugh my eye too for the future. The main differnce is that N1 has authentic grand action and Ca93 does not. If 3000 euro are not that big deal to you, get the N1.

#1706689 - 07/03/11 02:30 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
James Q Offline

Loc: Vancouver Canada
CA93 can't give you the same action as N1 dose. However, it is really up to you. If that extra 3000 euro isn't a big deal I will highly recommend N1.

At the same time I'd suggest you go to the store and lay your figures onto these piano. As for piano, touching and hearing will say everything.

Edited by James Q (07/03/11 02:49 PM)

#1706694 - 07/03/11 02:39 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I don't think I would ever make a "blind" decision on a piano.

If I were unable to try the Kawai (or any piano) before purchase, I would not buy it.

#1706735 - 07/03/11 04:37 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've played the AvantGrand N1 and CA93/MP10. Between the two, the N1 has superior action. It felt just like the CFIIIS sitting next to it that I played while in the Yamaha store. The CA93/MP10 both have outstanding actions, and outside of the AvantGrand series, Kawai's RM3 Wooden action is the best out there IMHO. I think short of fully authentic grand piano action like that found in the AvantGrands, the RM3 action inside Kawai's top of the line DPs is as good as it gets for digitals.

I was about to buy the MP10, and just before I headed down to purchase it, my wife and I had a long talk... wink She felt that after the purchase of my NP88 and NE3 61, she didn't want to spend more money on another digital. After visiting the Yamaha dealer this past weekend is fine spending 3 times of an MP10 on an N1! Go figure smile .

If all goes as planned, I should have an N1 soon as my acoustic substitute (am going back to school for piano performance/composition) for several years, and when space/money permits, will trade/sell up to a Kawai RX-6/RX-7/Steinway B/Bosendorfer 214C/etc. smile

Edited by ZacharyForbes (07/03/11 04:39 PM)

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1706759 - 07/03/11 05:35 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Ozan, welcome to the forum.

If money is no object, I would opt for the N1 as I believe it offers the most realistic keyboard action in a digital instrument (it utilises a real GP keyboard action, after all). However, if money is no object, perhaps the more visually appealing N2 (or N3?) would be a more suitable choice?

The CA93 offers an impressive piano playing experience, with an excellent action, very dynamic keyboard sound, and the benefits of a wooden soundboard speaker.

The CS9 is essentially the same instrument as the CA93 (albeit with additional 'Virtual Technician' controls), but housed within a K-2-like compact upright. In my opinion, it is one of the most visually appealing digital pianos available, and once formally announced by Kawai Europe, will undoubtedly be marketed as such.

As others have stated however, I would strongly recommend play-testing the instruments (or nearest equivalents) before making any purchasing decisions. In my opinion, a one hour drive isn't too far to travel when you could potentially be spending 6000 euros.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1706760 - 07/03/11 05:37 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
9000 Post Club Member

Zachary, congrats on the N1...zannen about the MP10!

Cheers,
James
x

#1706791 - 07/03/11 06:37 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Ozan, welcome to the forum! Are we neighbors?

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1707053 - 07/04/11 06:53 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
Ozan Offline

Hi, Dave, thanks smile

I live on Texel, Den Burg, i belive Vught lies in the middle of Holland, so if i would visit you for a cop of coffey,
i would have to take a boat and a train trip, heh heh.

Btw, thanks for the info/feedback guys smile

I guess i should consider trying out the Kawai models if i can find a store wich has one on display, but my heart says Avantgrand N1.
Its too bad realy, Kawai has a realy good piano sound, i like the darkish/mellow sound of it, Yamaha leans more to brightish.
Maybe they should also consider a Grand Piano Action in there models? That would be great.
I noticed, almost every dealer i phoned, they ended the conversation with "Kawai, hmmm, you should consider Yamaha it is more populair" etc ..
So it looks like Kawai is always a step behind, here in Holland at least, commercial wise.

Do you guys btw know if the N1 comes pre assembled?
There is no information on it, it does say it weighs about 120 kg's, i dont know if it is possible to push/carry the thing upstairs to a second floor with a couple of strong guys, i think the companies that deliver the piano charge extra money for second floors.

#1707056 - 07/04/11 07:08 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
9000 Post Club Member

#1707073 - 07/04/11 08:33 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Ozan, I've not been to Texel but have biked Terschelling. If you're ever down in Noord Brabant you're welcome to visit with us.

Do you guys btw know if the N1 comes pre assembled?

If you order an N1 from a Yamaha dealer I would expect him to set it up for you as part of his service. I would also expect the price to be the same whether he delivers it or not though I would expect him to deliver it. (I've been wrong before though.) I'd make a few phone calls to see if anyone even has an N1 on the floor.

I bought my N3 from Clavis in Nieuwegein (not too far from Utrecht), they have another location in Amsterdam.

You can easily find the dealers for Yamaha that sell the AvantGrand from Yamaha's site.

As I recall when I looked for a dealer I learned there were five in the entire country that carried the AvantGrand and the closest for me was Nieuwegein which really wasn't that close at all.

Edited by Dave Horne (07/04/11 08:33 AM)

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1707115 - 07/04/11 10:26 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
Coker Offline

Loc: Connecticut,USA
Does anyone have any idea whether the N1 action will need to be regulated over time? When looking to buy a DP, I assumed that when if a DP had an authentic GP action, then that implied some of the maintenance that goes along with it.

#1707521 - 07/04/11 10:41 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
Ozan Offline

@Dave
Yes, they have one in stock at Clavis in Amsterdam, its the closest by Piano dealer, i gave them a call, gonna try it out one of these days.
They even have a rent to buy option smile
I think i should also consider extra waranty on the top of the standard 2 year waranty, you never know i guess, better be safe then sorry.
They also have the N2 but if there isnt a big difference, then i ll keep the extra 4000 euros in my pocket,
i mean come on, 10000 euros for a DP, its kind of diefstal, dont you think smile
How long did you had your N3? And do the keys feel good under your fingers till today?

Coker made a good point btw, do the N series need maintenance?

@Kawai James
Thanks for the info, i guess i totaly missed that the CS6/9 have a Grand Piano Action, i tought they also had the normal RM3 action like the other models.
So this is kind of strange then, if the CS6/9 models also have a GP Action, then why is almost everybody still opting for the N1/2/3 GP Action?
Is the Yamaha Grand action better then the CS6/9 Grand action?
Or maybe nobody compared them yet, did you get the chance to try out the CS6/9?

#1707588 - 07/05/11 01:42 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ozan
Thanks for the info, i guess i totaly missed that the CS6/9 have a Grand Piano Action, i tought they also had the normal RM3 action like the other models.

The CS6/CS9 use the same keyboard action as the CA93 - 'RM3 Grand' with let-off. May I ask why you thought otherwise?

Kind regards,
James
x

#1707614 - 07/05/11 04:07 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

How long did you had your N3? And do the keys feel good under your fingers till today?

I bought my N3 in April or May 2010. The keys still feel just fine though in four or five years I'll have the action worked on (just as I would any acoustic action). I'm expecting Yamaha to introduce a newer version of this technology in five years or so and if that's the case I'll just trade up and not have the action worked on.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1709013 - 07/07/11 11:31 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
Belger1900 Offline

I personally think the N1 is somewhat quite different than the typical digital piano.
I have a CA63 and am really happy. What you get for the price is great. Very nice keyboard action (I think the best out there) and for my needs just perfect smile

Comparing it to the N1 which has a real Grand piano action, I would of course go for this piece of equipment. If you have the money and are looking for something closer to the real thing, this is the closest you can get (not taking the N2 and N3 into consideration).

#1709594 - 07/08/11 10:53 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Belger1900]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Belger1900
I personally think the N1 is somewhat quite different than the typical digital piano.
I personally think the CS9 is somewhat quite different than the typical digital piano. grin wink

#1710389 - 07/09/11 07:59 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: TADutchman]
Belger1900 Offline

Only the looks. The action is the same on the CS9.
The N1 has the far superior action. I think even better than the N3 I played this week.
But I have to say that Yamaha does not have the best build quality. I was really upset about the cabinet on the N1.
Hard to believe if you have a price tag of 6.500,- Euro...

#1710572 - 07/10/11 03:18 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Belger, the action on the N1 is the same as the N3. What was the issue with the cabinet on the N1?

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1710585 - 07/10/11 04:16 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Belger1900]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Only the looks. The action is the same on the CS9.
Don't forget the impact of the soundboard and 6-speaker system which is integrated in the CS9 and CA93 cabinet (i.e. in general not underestimating the importance of amps & speakers, as was also mentioned in another recent thread).

#1711169 - 07/11/11 06:53 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Dave Horne]
Pawelekg Offline

Loc: Poland
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
Belger, the action on the N1 is the same as the N3. What was the issue with the cabinet on the N1?

The N1 cabinetry sucks. It's basically big (deep). I guess they made it big to keep people buy the N2.

Edited by Pawelekg (07/11/11 06:53 AM)

#1711170 - 07/11/11 06:57 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Kawai James]
Pawelekg Offline

Loc: Poland
Originally Posted By: Kawai James

Between the CS9 and CA93, is the difference only in cabinetry or is the sound engine of the CS9 going to be a newer version?
From the specifications there are some nuances in the Virtual Technician between them, it seems.

#1711203 - 07/11/11 08:28 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
KJ: Thanks for that link. I've never before seen the CS-series pianos.

Kawai did a nice job on these. Finally, a digital that truly looks like a piano!

Maybe I'll take a trip to try one out soon.

#1711211 - 07/11/11 08:50 AM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
9000 Post Club Member

Pawelekg, you are correct. The CA93 and CS9 both share the same piano sampling technology, however the CS9 offers additional Virtual Technician parameters.

MacMacMac, the US is a few months behind Europe in terms of new product releases. The CS3 should already be in dealer's stores, with the CS6 to follow shortly. The CS9 is still under consideration by Kawai America.

Kind regards,
James
x

#1711952 - 07/12/11 12:51 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Pawelekg]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pawelekg

The N1 cabinetry sucks. It's basically big (deep). I guess they made it big to keep people buy the N2.

Huh?? The cabinet sucks because it's big? It has to be as big and deep as it is to support the full size grand piano action and speaker system. I'm not following your logic here.

I'm about to buy the N1 because I'll get it for $4000 less than the dealer would sell the N2. I played the N1 in a very large showroom and it filled the room with ease, and sounded quite good.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1712009 - 07/12/11 02:06 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Dave Horne]
Belger1900 Offline

Yes, that was the funny thing.
The keys were a little bit harder to press on the N1 and also the depth (when you press the key from top to bottom) was larger/deeper (and better). I could also feel the key-off effect much better than on the N3. I did´nt like the feel of the N3.

The issues on the cabinet where not the size rather than the build quality. The left console with the buttons was completely loose. For that price I do expect something better, even for a preseries model oder an exibition piano. Hope the other ones are better.
By the way....why did´nt they make everything in a glossy black? The back legs are just plain (cheap) wood.

#1712039 - 07/12/11 03:08 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Belger1900]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The keys were a little bit harder to press on the N1 and also the depth (when you press the key from top to bottom) was larger/deeper (and better). I could also feel the key-off effect much better than on the N3. I did´nt like the feel of the N3.

I played the N1 and N3 and didn't notice a discernible difference in feel, in fact with headphones on, and TRS off (N3), they feel identical, because, well they are. I was considering splurging for the N2 but since it's half again the price of the N1 for slightly better speakers, ivorite keys, and TRS, it's worth going with the N1. The N1 will be my practice instrument while finishing school.

That's unfortunate about the cabinet. The N1 I played was in perfectly good shape.

#1712071 - 07/12/11 04:29 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: PianoZac]
Belger1900 Offline

Originally Posted By: ZacharyForbes

That's unfortunate about the cabinet. The N1 I played was in perfectly good shape.

I´m still hoping the best since I really like the N1.

#1712091 - 07/12/11 05:15 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: Ozan]
azandj Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Though I have not played the N1, I have watched the Yamaha videos about the product... the only thing I don't like about it is that it sounds like a Yamaha ;P

#1712093 - 07/12/11 05:20 PM Re: Yamaha N1 / Kawai CA93 / CS9 [Re: azandj]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: azandj
Though I have not played the N1, I have watched the Yamaha videos about the product... the only thing I don't like about it is that it sounds like a Yamaha ;P

Well, yet another perk of the AvantGrands is the ability to use them to connect to a computer and run software. I'm already planning on hooking the N1 up to my NP88 and using the pianos. the N1's outstanding action combined with the Nord Piano Library's samples ought to be one killer combo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Who's Online
87 registered (alfredo capurso, Adypiano, anotherscott, angga888, Anticlock, 23 invisible), 1137 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325918 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission