2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
PhilipK Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi Everyone.

I purchased the Native Instruments - Alicia's Keys VSTi a few days ago and hooked it in my laptop and plugged in my Yamaha CP33.
I was stunned by how much more "rich" the sound was compared to my CP33's internal piano sound.
So now to the questions.

It feels like when pressing a key it doesnt sound as clear on my CP33 as when i press a key in the Kontakt player.
It sound much more mellow.
I first tought that it might be something with the brilliace settings that i have on the keyboard(Since other options on my keyboard seem to be mapped to the VST, like the key hardness settings etc) but it wasnt.
To give you an example of what i mean.
Playing with the CP33's internal voices i have the option on the brilliace option on the keyboard(Bright, Normal, Mellow), which i usually use bright for most detail.
It seems the sound is much more bright pushing key in the VST program rather when i press it on the CP33.
I have tried disabling the key hardness but it still doesnt sound anything near.
The sound is also much lower when i hit a note on my CP33 than within VST.
Anyone know why that is?
Do i need to tweak the VSTi to match my CP33
If so, do anyone got any suggestion on what to look into?
Also i'm using the USB cable for MIDI, should i consider a real MIDI interface?

Also, what should you guys recommend to me for best experience using VSTi instrumments.
I have a Lenovo W500 laptop with 2.5 Ghz and 8GB ram and a SSD disk.
Thus only the internal sound card (Conexant HD 20561 HD).
Should i consider a external soundinterface?

Kind Regards. =)
Philip

Plays on a Yamaha CP33.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
The only thing that gets sent from the piano to the computer is key velocity. So the "harness" settig on the piano is sent only indirectly beacuse it determines how your key presses get mapped to MIDI velocity numbers.

Why is it brighter sounding when played from the computer screen with a mouse? I think it must be the velocity. But could it also be the you have moved? Are you setting at the same location relative to the speakers? Listening geometry matters more than most people wold think.

There is a lot you can do to adjust the sound. The Alicia Keys samples comes with and plays inside Kontakt Player. This is the free version of Kontakt 4 that they bundle in there for you. It is stripped down but still has lots of features and you can adjust brightness, reverb and so on.

Also you can use Kontakt Player as a plug-in inside a DAW. That's how I use it. Then you have a full range of effects you can use to color the sound, graphic EQ, parameteric compressors, better reverbs or what have you.

If all you are doing is audio playback, not recording from a mic or line-in then you can get an inexpensive USB audio interface and, yes it might soud better, Some of these interfaces have MIDI too. Technically this has no effect but it can help reduce cable clutter. And importantly save th little 3.5mm audio jack on the computer from damage

One like this might work
Alpha
One other advantage of the box is you get real knobs to control the volume
If you are going to record or you need MIDI the price at least doubles

P
PhilipK Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The sound comes from the same headphones connected to the computer, so that ain't it.
Thus it feels like the color of the sound is more mellow, not as clear.
If i slam a key which hopefully would be one of the highest velocity it still doesn't sound the same as when pushing the key on the computer.
It feels like when i play on the CP33 its like a filter is on, just like if i change to Mellow for the internal voices of the CP33..
Strange, i guess i will have to play around a bit and see if i can figure it out.

Thanks.
Philip

Plays on a Yamaha CP33.
B
B
Hi Phillip,

I was just wondering how you managed to connect your yamaha cp33 to native instruments? I'm currently having trouble trying to get the cp33 to work in midi, what setup do you use, cables etc?

I went out and bought a midi cable similar to this - http://line6.com/community/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-120875-9758/usb-midi-cable.jpg

thinking it might work, but no luck. I was only able to get logic to recognise the notes I was playing with this cable, though no actual sounds were coming through. Looking forward to hearing from you,

Ben

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission